IGNORED

Seewalds 30: No new baby, but with more recipe thread-drift

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

She's come so far from her "wa-la" days. 

Snap, that was my first thought too. Maybe she's taking some online vocal and grammar classes.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of grammar, I'm currently in a college class to learn how to write as a PR professional. One of the first things we learned was to not use the oxford comma. I feel like I'm breaking the law when I write now :cry:

16 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

On the topic of grammar, I'm currently in a college class to learn how to write as a PR professional. One of the first things we learned was to not use the oxford comma. I feel like I'm breaking the law when I write now :cry:

Why are you not supposed to use the oxford comma? What about when it significantly changes the meaning of the text?

31 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Why are you not supposed to use the oxford comma? What about when it significantly changes the meaning of the text?

I'm honestly not sure of the reason. It's just how it's done in AP style. So instead of red, white, and blue, we have to write red, white and blue. The only exception is if it changes the meaning of the sentence. If I was saying apples, bananas, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, then the oxford comma is used. 

AP style is what's used in journalism. It has so many odd rules. 

4 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I'm honestly not sure of the reason. It's just how it's done in AP style. So instead of red, white, and blue, we have to write red, white and blue. The only exception is if it changes the meaning of the sentence. If I was saying apples, bananas, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, then the oxford comma is used. 

AP style is what's used in journalism. It has so many odd rules. 

I never realized that the oxford comma was banned in AP style! The more you know...

I used Chicago or MLA style for most of my time in academia. I'm glad because I loveeeee the oxford comma! :P 

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I used Chicago or MLA style for most of my time in academia. I'm glad because I loveeeee the oxford comma! :P 

Same here! I swear by the oxford comma! Also Chicago style is probably my favorite- I love the fact that a 10-12 page paper can go by rather quick, depending on the amount of footnotes you have in one.  People get freaked out by footnotes, but I think they're a major blessing to reduce space in what you actually have to do in the papers :P

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

Oh my goodness.  I will not be able to sleep tonight!  I honestly don't think I could do it!  :scared-eek:

(I read my reply and realize it may sound sarcastic.  Please know that I am being sincere, truthful, and empathetic!

Ugh that's why I hate shopping for my son. Why must his clothes be dull just because he is a boy? It's hard for me to find cute clothes that are colorful for him.

11 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Ugh that's why I hate shopping for my son. Why must his clothes be dull just because he is a boy? It's hard for me to find cute clothes that are colorful for him.

Whenever I go to the shoe store for my son, I look at the girls section and rage.

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Whenever I go to the shoe store for my son, I look at the girls section and rage.

I've recently discovered that I can fit into boys' shoes. Like kid boy's shoes. It's awesome because they're cheaper, but they're all so ugly :pb_lol:

(By ugly, I just mean they could look nicer. They aren't hideous) 

1 minute ago, Gillyweed said:

I've recently discovered that I can fit into boys' shoes. Like kid boy's shoes. It's awesome because they're cheaper, but they're all so ugly :pb_lol:

My Nikes are from the little boys section. They're like $40 cheaper that way. No shame.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:16 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

OMG - I've been wondering what sort of sign/flag to take... That would be HILARIOUS... haha

and btw if you are invited inside the palace to have some of the wedding cake - it's going to be banana 

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I never realized that the oxford comma was banned in AP style! The more you know...

It's mostly exclusive to journalism. I believe it has to do with the demands of space in newspaper and magazine layout, especially in the days of linotype.

I occasionally write articles, and just submit them with the Oxford commas and make my editor remove them. I am petty and the Oxford comma is my hill to die on.

Don't know if anyone has heard of the court case in Maine where a lawsuit is being upheld because the contract did not use an Oxford comma?  

28 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

My mum is a UK size 3, her 11 year old grandson is a size 4, so she can buy shoes in the kids department cheap. She has trouble finding grown up looking ones in her size. 

11 hours ago, nst said:

and btw if you are invited inside the palace to have some of the wedding cake - it's going to be banana 

It is? I've been half-heartedly searching for more details - so when did you find that out? :)

25 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It is? I've been half-heartedly searching for more details - so when did you find that out? :)

on facebook - a link to all things wedding 

also on my facebook feed someone said jessa is pregnant 

4 hours ago, nst said:

also on my facebook feed someone said jessa is pregnant 

Well much like us, they will eventually be right. No birth control means that, yep, she will be pregnant again at some point! 

22 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

My Nikes are from the little boys section. They're like $40 cheaper that way. No shame.

Got my 10 year old new shoes yesterday. We got lucky, and there was a pretty colorful pair of Nikes in the clearance section that he loved (a classmate has the same pair apparently, lol) for 1/2 off. Gotta love $28 Nikes... But I was a little sad, because we bought a 7 (he's still a little closer to 6.5, but this'll give him room to grow), so this'll be the last pair from the kid's section. I'm not ready for grownup shoe prices!

Dammit, FJ! First you introduced me to Oxford comma, then you made me love it, and now you are saying that there are times you can't use it? Whyyyy. 
It already annoys me that punctuation rules in English differ from my native language. (And, btw, should there be comma before "that" in previous sentence?)

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived