IGNORED

Seewalds 30: No new baby, but with more recipe thread-drift

samurai_sarah

13 hours ago, Fascinated said:

It was in Mississauga in the mid-seventies. Damn, I cannot remember his name at the moment. He was a short man and, yes, very quirky.  Do you remember your teacher’s name?

Yep, it was Mr. Martyr (sp?)... he would smoke the chalk and dramatically tell stories, which we'd encourage, cause you know, it was more interesting than business class.  In typing if you looked at your hands, he'd put a paper bag over your head for a minute, elastics on wrists if they drooped, LOL no one let them droop, they were too afraid he'd snap them (tho he didn't), he used it as a physical reminder.    I give him credit for my typing skills, he wasn't mean (if it sounds that way) just oh so quirky and funny.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

Yep, it was Mr. Martyr (sp?)... he would smoke the chalk and dramatically tell stories, which we'd encourage, cause you know, it was more interesting than business class.  In typing if you looked at your hands, he'd put a paper bag over your head for a minute, elastics on wrists if they drooped, LOL no one let them droop, they were too afraid he'd snap them (tho he didn't), he used it as a physical reminder.    I give him credit for my typing skills, he wasn't mean (if it sounds that way) just oh so quirky and funny.

That is amazing!  Sadly, he is not the teacher I had though. How excellent that we both had memorable and effective typing teachers who taught within a relatively short distance of each other. And both looney and charming to boot. Brings back fond memories. 

Except for the wig, possibly, I feel this look and pose would be just right on the red carpet. He’s got that come hither look that some actresses favour.  And he’s casually lifting his ‘dress’ to show just the right amount of leg. Are his heels a tad too small though?  Vanity probably precludes him from wearing the correct size.  He definitely has it going on. 

#angelinasleg all over again. [emoji23]

7 minutes ago, kacarlton said:

#angelinasleg all over again. emoji23.png

#louisXIVsleg(s) #trending

Henry is 1. He looks like a blonde Spurgeon these days. Such cute little boys.

henry.jpg.2960dfb23a7f43e9d659a28b5a1a1ce9.jpg

10 hours ago, Granwych said:

And here I thought Noah had a magic wand.

Nah, I prefer more thickly muscled and much less-dressed gents, but thanks for the picture!

Slightly different time period but here you go! :wink-kitty:

Spoiler

5a7bf77ec0a58_marble2.jpg.be6540d840092dfd2bfb38ddca91c7c8.jpg

Spoiler

5a7bf7f3489e4_marble1.JPG.53451ad5337a55da0d4aadda332a8a34.JPG

Spoiler

5a7bf7f79c971_marble3.jpg.4889f9a45a86e6f8e8bb6b1290140639.jpg

I'd just like to say, Henry's been winning me over lately and I think I'm finding him cuter than Spurgeon now (Just. Just.) I think Henry is about to hit peak cuteness.

Okay so now I want one. Bad ovaries!

15 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

That’s what I get for taking Philippa Gregory seriously.

I would not have a problem with her if she would just admit that her novels are far more fiction than historical. Her insistence that her novels are factual based on her meticulous historical research is what puts me off. She may be a 'historian,' but she's not a very good one, imo.  

Now, for some real accuracy in historical fiction, try Sharon Kay Penman. She's in a class by herself. Or Elizabeth Chadwick, who makes no claim of being a professional historian but manages to get the background details remarkably accurate.

10 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I would not have a problem with her if she would just admit that her novels are far more fiction than historical. Her insistence that her novels are factual based on her meticulous historical research is what puts me off. She may be a 'historian,' but she's not a very good one, imo.  

Now, for some real accuracy in historical fiction, try Sharon Kay Penman. She's in a class by herself. Or Elizabeth Chadwick, who makes no claim of being a professional historian but manages to get the background details remarkably accurate.

I like Philippa Gregory but she does need to stop insisting that's it's factual. Missus; everyone and the beheaded Anne Boleyn can see that you are pulling it out of your ass. It's funny that she believes that she's factual! 

I love Elizabeth Chadwick because I can fall into fiction and just enjoy it. I may look up accuracy after the fact because I found a character that I loved, but for the most part it's just pure enjoyment! 

I love Philippa Greggory. Her books are some of my absolute favourite historical fiction ones. However, I know they're more fiction than historical, but not everyone does. I had a friend who thought they were accurate, and was believing all sorts of nonsense. The fact that PG is so stubborn in defending her works is my real issue with her. There is ZERO shame in admitting that you're basing your story off of an event but are taking liberty with it and inventing what you believe *could* have happened. Insisting that there's shoddy proof to back up your story does no favours to anyone. 

37 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Seems like kinda a weak birthday post for Jessa?

IMG_3879.PNG

I thought so too, but her posts for Spurgeon were pretty much the same.

Spoiler

At least there's no 'you're such a diligent and God-fearing young 12-month-old and we can't wait to see where the Lord leads you!!!' bullshit.

I do remember Jessa writing a really nice letter to Spurgeon on his first birthday. Maybe it was on their facebook page?

I am just glad that Jessa did not choose to use Henry’s birthday to announce another pregnancy (if she is in fact pregnant, that is).

On 6.2.2018 at 6:07 PM, BigTushieLady said:

And this is the foxy minx's family tree. I've boxed the only ones who *aren't* related to him more than once.

Family tree CarlosII.png

Oh my word that is horrendous. I knew the Habsburgs were inbred, but really that goes beyond the odd cousin marriage. There are, what, three instances of someone marrying their niece. I mean what the actual fuck? :wtsf: And how was it even possible? Didn't the catholic church have pretty strict rules on consanguinity, or am I missing something?

Back to Seewalds, I agree with a previous poster, Henry is indeed very, very cute. I hope very much his parents appreciate what they have, and give their lovely boys their full attention now and in years to come. These little guys deserve to not share their parents with 19 other kids. 

8 minutes ago, MadameOvary said:

There are, what, three instances of someone marrying their niece. I mean what the actual fuck? :wtsf: And how was it even possible? Didn't the catholic church have pretty strict rules on consanguinity, or am I missing something?

They did, but you could get a dispensation. The Habsburgs were, afaik, the only ones who went for uncle-niece marriages on the regular. But as long as the Pope issued a dispensation you were good to go. 

Most people were very much against the idea of such marriages, though, and I’m not entirely sure why the Habsburgs were so inclined to it. Back in jolly old England, the much-maligned Richard III (reputedly) considered marrying his niece and there was an enormous outcry against it.

I just saw a good movie about Marie Antoinette on an airplane.    It's called:   Marie Antoinette directed by Sofia Coppola made in 2006.    Very interesting!

I just sat and read all 33 pages and learned a lot!! Thanks for the history lesson.

And now this song is stuck in my head, lol.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived