IGNORED

Seewalds 30: No new baby, but with more recipe thread-drift

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Since we're talking about food, I'm supposed to start an elimination diet soon and...I don't want to. I feel like it's going to be really hard.  I know that sounds lame, but I eat bad enough as it is (what with trying to make sure my kids get the good stuff, living in the North where everything = $$$$, and just being under a lot of stress), and to suddenly be like...okay no we can't have any of that for the next two weeks seems really--intimidating, I guess.  So I'm putting it off until I can figure out how to plan for it to be successful.  Anyone have ideas/tips? Even no-brainer ones?

Ugh.  My son is having to do this & I am doing it with him to be supportive.  I think it helps to have a buddy.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know what it is that @LilMissMetaphor you are eliminating, but I just got off the whole30 eating lifestyle change diet, which is basically eliminating everything but veggies and minimal amounts of fruits (which I totally went over on, but oh well) and I thought it was going to be a living hell, but it wasn't at all! I know others struggle more than most, but depending on what your are taking out of your diet, I would suggest looking for recipes from websites/blogs of people that are doing Whole30.  Sweet potatoes became my BFF during those 30 days as well. lol.

It was very beneficial and I have been able to figure out what really makes me feel like crap now (aka sugar and dairy of basically every kind, which sucks, but whatevs). 

I probably couldn’t live with most of you. When my youngest was about five, we suddenly realized he was no longer beside us at the grocery store.  We frantically looked around only to find him stalled at the meat counter. He had both hands and his face pressed up against the glass.  Like the proverbial kid in a candy store, except it was meat. We are still a family of carnivores. I do eat a lot of salads and fish though. I try. :my_confused:

31 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

I probably couldn’t live with most of you. When my youngest was about five, we suddenly realized he was no longer beside us at the grocery store.  We frantically looked around only to find him stalled at the meat counter. He had both hands and his face pressed up against the glass.  Like the proverbial kid in a candy store, except it was meat. We are still a family of carnivores. I do eat a lot of salads and fish though. I try. :my_confused:

you would love my kale salad 

On 2/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, Satan'sFortress said:

I am vegetarian and the rest of my family isn't.  I'm surprised that other "mixed couples' don't find this to be a problem--it is a HUGE problem for me. 

They don't want to eat vegetarian all the time, and since I do the cooking, I then have to prepare meated meals, which I find kind of gross.   Raw meat + me being a vegetarian = not fun. Although I get creative with tacos and quesadillas, etc.  that everyone can customize with meat or no meat, many nights, I end up cooking two meals.  Or worse yet, I make their meated meal and then just find myself eating the veg side dish and a cup of yogurt because I am too damn tired to cook a separate meal.  Plus, it can get expensive to prepare two different meals.

I love all kinds of food (other than meat) and would be cooking something different every night. but they don't like tofu, eggplant, quinoa, tomatoes, oh my, the list goes on and on.  It is a source of real unhappiness for me. :(

I wish I lived wherever you do--because going out to eat is almost always a hassle for me.  I have to check the menu online before I go & many times there are NO veg options at all.  I have to settle for a salad, or maybe a meal that I can order and ask them to hold the chicken or shrimp or steak . . . note that I still get charged full price even though I didn't have the meat.

Sorry for the rant--it has been a tough food week here and I am genuinely hungry and cranky.  Thanks for listening.  :)

Aww! I'm sorry that the restaurants near you don't provide as much choice! I don't live in a large city, and I live in Florida, so I don't live in one of the more liberal states, but our restaurants here are good about vegetarian options for some reason. 

I'm also just not a huge meat eater in general, never have been... unfortunately I LOVE carbs, haha. But that probably makes it easier for us to split appetizers and make food at home. In addition to my enjoyment of trying to cook up new recipes that are vegetarian, I'm perfectly happy with boiling some cheese tortellini pasta in under 10 minutes and calling it a night like we did tonight. Was a quick and easy meal when I was single before I met him, too. I still eat meat but I never really prepare it at home.

As for the discussion of raising kids vegetarian-- my boyfriend's mother raised her three boys vegetarian, including him. They're all still vegetarian to this day and all of them are well over 6 feet tall and very smart. :) 

I went to a naturpath not my regular one a while back and he did his testing blah blah.

He was really old and apparently well respected.  

Anyway - long story short blah blah 

no kale 

I was like WTF - dude go away

i love my kale. 

On 2/11/2018 at 10:00 AM, Satan'sFortress said:

I am vegetarian and the rest of my family isn't.  I'm surprised that other "mixed couples' don't find this to be a problem--it is a HUGE problem for me. 

They don't want to eat vegetarian all the time, and since I do the cooking, I then have to prepare meated meals, which I find kind of gross.   Raw meat + me being a vegetarian = not fun. Although I get creative with tacos and quesadillas, etc.  that everyone can customize with meat or no meat, many nights, I end up cooking two meals.  Or worse yet, I make their meated meal and then just find myself eating the veg side dish and a cup of yogurt because I am too damn tired to cook a separate meal.  Plus, it can get expensive to prepare two different meals.

I love all kinds of food (other than meat) and would be cooking something different every night. but they don't like tofu, eggplant, quinoa, tomatoes, oh my, the list goes on and on.  It is a source of real unhappiness for me. :(

I wish I lived wherever you do--because going out to eat is almost always a hassle for me.  I have to check the menu online before I go & many times there are NO veg options at all.  I have to settle for a salad, or maybe a meal that I can order and ask them to hold the chicken or shrimp or steak . . . note that I still get charged full price even though I didn't have the meat.

Sorry for the rant--it has been a tough food week here and I am genuinely hungry and cranky.  Thanks for listening.  :)

This is going to sound bitchy but if you are the only one the house who wants to eat one way it is unfair to make everyone else do it. I also think you are making this harder on yourself than you need to, you are only making veggie meals for 1, with a little prep in 1 day you can have 5/6 days worth of meals for yourself. I used to do this with meat meals, I could have 2 or 3 things set in the fridge to pop directly into the oven or set into the crockpot on my way to work then have the rest organized into groupings to have all the ingredients on hand so you don't have to spend time hunting for things.  Some pre-planning can save you a lot of time during the week when you are busy.

You can do spaghetti and meatballs for the family and buy frozen veg meatballs for yourself and frozen meatballs for the family, just set some sauce in a separate smaller pan and cook your meat balls there while the families larger portion gets meat. You can make a meat lasagna and small veggie lasagna make a large one for yourself and freeze individual portions and defrost when you don't have time to cook something separate for yourself. A quick google search I found this site that has several freezer friendly meals. https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/101-vegetarian-freezer-meals/

1 hour ago, nst said:

I went to a naturpath not my regular one a while back and he did his testing blah blah.

He was really old and apparently well respected.  

Anyway - long story short blah blah 

no kale 

I was like WTF - dude go away

i love my kale. 

Why no kale? 

I love kale too, it gets a bad wrap. 

42 minutes ago, nst said:

Jessa is actually posting bible verses again. 

Hmm 

announcement soon?

I've been thinking... we haven't seen a picture of Jessa in weeks. I"m thinking announcement soon. Although WHY an announcement of a third pregnancy would excite anyone, I do not know.

21 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I've been thinking... we haven't seen a picture of Jessa in weeks. I"m thinking announcement soon. Although WHY an announcement of a third pregnancy would excite anyone, I do not know.

TLC actually just posted a couple photos of her from Henry's first birthday. I can't find the original source right now, but Keeping Up With Fundie Families on tumblr posted this one (the other one was just from the neck up, so in terms of pregnancy speculation it's not very valuable, aaaaaand I feel REALLY weird typing that):

henry.thumb.png.b136af588985b0728f46f708cb004523.png

Of course a bunch of people are saying she looks pregnant. I personally think it's impossible to tell. But there you go.

32 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

there are pictures of her posing with ben and henry for his 1st birthday - it looks like a normal looking stomach :D 

Jessa's instagram post. 

Pregnancy speculation is hard to tell. There's very little to see. She's keeping it under wraps with looser clothing. Which is fine! :P 

but good news jinger doesn't or does need a seatbelt extension 

she is showing pictures of her stomach moving apparently 

cause that is what babies do 

But I suppose we can add 'Adrian' and 'Rogers' to the potential baby names list? :P 

(I'm still gunning for Flame Calvin, personally.)

18 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Of course a bunch of people are saying she looks pregnant. I personally think it's impossible to tell. But there you go.

If I were Jessa and somebody took a photo of me right now, they'd probably think I was pregnant. (I'm wearing a LulaRoe Carly, unbelted/untied.)

lol

i think if she doesnt announce before the season starts then shes not pregnant. The thing that makes me speculate is that every pic since christmas time shes been wearing really loose clothes but that doesnt really mean anything either. I dont know why Im interested/care but I guess I am. 

@allthegoodnamesrgone you'd have hated my family growing up :pb_lol: dad was veggie, mum wasn't but did the cooking, we both ate veggie 5/7 days of the week with one chicken day and one fish day. She didn't like making multiple meals, even when she made in advance, especially because I didn't like eating the same things every day and when she bulk made food we ended up with the same meals multiple days a week. So we ate like the minority for the majority of the time, and so did most visiting family.

I've been veggie now for about 2.5 years, apart from a couple accidental meat-eating meals, and now refuse to cook meat full stop. Which I know some people find really bitchy of me, but I disagree with factory farming on an environmental level and don't know how to cook meat well because I've never cooked it in my adult life, I undercooked the fish the one time my gran and mum (who's now pesco) got me to do the big meal for the family, and I've refused to cook it since then. My boyfriend got with me knowing that was the case, so cooks his own meat meals if he wants them. His mum cooks me veggie food when we visit because she likes it too. At my grandparents' I cook for myself because they don't know what to make for me, and usually make the same thing for them but add prawns or something easy, they're the only exception.

I get to some people it makes me a dick, but everyone who's now in my life knows they're getting veggie food from me if they accept an invitation to eat at my house, and come anyway, so I guess it can't be that bad. :confusion-shrug: I think in the future, if we have kids, my boyfriend will cook some meals and I'll cook some, and the days I'll cook it'll be entirely veggie. I can plan for myself the day/s there's meat on the menu. But a veggie agreeing to cook meat for other people, in my opinion, is a pretty good sign of love without the chastising for their attitude. :my_angel:

Speaking from current experience Jessa may be wearing looser clothes because it's hard to accept/ know how to dress a post baby body for some woman. I'm back to almost my post baby weight but I just look different. My ribcage is expanded, my hips are much wider, my boobs are much much larger, my tummy, even though fairly toned, is just softer, even my damn feet are bigger. I'm not really ashamed of it but I'm not very comfortable of my new mom-bod either.  I believe my pregnancy was a beautiful thing and I'm so very grateful for my healthy little boy. However, It makes dressing gracefully a little hard. Sometimes I miss the mark and look too matronly in lose clothes and sometimes I look ridiculous trying to dress like my friends who are still 24 and out clubbing all the time. It's a awkwardly beautiful stage in my life but that doesn't mean it comes without doubts. Jessa and I are about the same age and I know Ben expressed Jessa feeling self conscious about her weight in that interview episode. She may not be pregnant or even trolling us, she may just be finding herself feeling similar to me. 

Okay serious moment over; she is probably pregnant in all reality of odds.:pb_lol:

You might not be wrong, though. I mean, she got pregnant with Henry pretty quickly after, and her body didn't have much of a chance to settle. So if she's not pregnant, this is new territory for her. 

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This is going to sound bitchy but if you are the only one the house who wants to eat one way it is unfair to make everyone else do it. I also think you are making this harder on yourself than you need to, you are only making veggie meals for 1, with a little prep in 1 day you can have 5/6 days worth of meals for yourself. I used to do this with meat meals, I could have 2 or 3 things set in the fridge to pop directly into the oven or set into the crockpot on my way to work then have the rest organized into groupings to have all the ingredients on hand so you don't have to spend time hunting for things.  Some pre-planning can save you a lot of time during the week when you are busy.

You can do spaghetti and meatballs for the family and buy frozen veg meatballs for yourself and frozen meatballs for the family, just set some sauce in a separate smaller pan and cook your meat balls there while the families larger portion gets meat. You can make a meat lasagna and small veggie lasagna make a large one for yourself and freeze individual portions and defrost when you don't have time to cook something separate for yourself. A quick google search I found this site that has several freezer friendly meals. https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/101-vegetarian-freezer-meals/

1.  It isn't bitchy.  If you read my second post, you will see that I said the same thing.  I don't expect them to eat vegetarian.  That is precisely why I cook two separate meals. I just find it tiring, and I was surprised that other "mixed couples" didn't have the same problem.

2. I've been doing this for almost two decades and I have done everything you've suggested and more. I am an extremely organized meal planner, shopper, and cook.  I have to be. Yes, when I make spaghetti, I cook meatballs for them and leave them out of my meal.  :pb_rollseyes: No one but me would ever eat lasagna here, so too bad for that.  But further, as I said, I have lots of meals that I adapt for meat/no meat options.  I made a soup last night that the others added cooked chicken to.  Tacos--I make ground beef for them beans for me. I freeze extra portions of veg meals for myself that I can reheat on the nights when they eat steak, pork, turkey, fish, etc. I get it, trust me.  I could probably write a cookbook.  But  it is a slog.  It may sound or be simple to you, but after all this time, I am just tired of all the thought and effort that goes into it. My own choice, yes, I get that too

3. Didn't mean to sound poor pitiful me, I was just stunned/jealous that other people either have or are generous partners who adapt so easily to the vegetarian person's diet.

It's too early to tell if Jessa is pregnant or not, I feel she is happy with just her two boys just now. She is not preventing it by any means but she probably isn't desperately hoping to get pregnant.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan but I am trying to cut out meat and dairy products and try some healthier foods. 

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived