IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

1 hour ago, viii said:

You learn to adjust, really. When it becomes daily routine for half the year, it's not something you really notice anymore. I only notice the temp more now because I started to work at a school, and if it's colder than -30, we have to keep the kids indoor. Otherwise, life just went on and you only noticed how cold it was when your car wouldn't start, lol. 

I...I don't know how one adjusts to temperatures like that. I have another BIL who moved his family to Montana for a year, and his wife told us about the wind blowing -30F through the electrical outlets. They came back to the PNW pretty fast, too. She was stuck in this (obv not well-insulated) house with 4 kids, one of whom was an infant, and my BIL worked all the time, was out of town a lot. I think I would've gone postal.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Speaking of pronouncing place names...Norfolk VA. The non-locals pronounce it NOR-folk. The locals? It's more like "naw-fick" or...as the sailors like to say "no fuck". Another one is Gloucester. It's pronounced "glaw-ster". Our favorite was "Dumfries"...oh the jokes! 

Ok...so us Tidewater types are a little odd...

And then there's the pronunciation of the word 'Tidewater' itself. Taaadwaddah. Or something like that. :laughing-rolling:

Oh, and speaking of Virginia place names, how about Staunton? They pronounce it Stanton. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

My favourite Canadian place name is Moose Factory.

Is that another name for Canada?

4 minutes ago, Loveday said:

And then there's the pronunciation of the word 'Tidewater' itself. Taaadwaddah. Or something like that. :laughing-rolling:

Oh, and speaking of Virginia place names, how about Staunton? They pronounce it Stanton. :pb_lol:

it's more of a Tiiiiiiiiiiidwadder. Yeah, I talk funny :). what can I say...take a kid who started out in Philadelphia, who heard English, German and Spanish all the time, drop her ass in Newport News VA...and watch her brain explode. I know I ain't right 

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Born and raised in central VA in the Richmond area. I pronounce Norfolk, Nor-fick. I actually had to say it outloud a few times to figure out how I say it. Tidewater is Tidewater. For Staunton I actually say Staunton not Stanton. I do pronounce Dumfries, Dumb-fries :) 

4 minutes ago, Yaoichan12 said:

Born and raised in central VA in the Richmond area. I pronounce Norfolk, Nor-fick. I actually had to say it outloud a few times to figure out how I say it. Tidewater is Tidewater. For Staunton I actually say Staunton not Stanton. I do pronounce Dumfries, Dumb-fries :) 

To us Tidewater folks, Richmond is almost another country. We won't discuss NoVa. I know...we're a bunch of hicks who probably should have joined NC, especially since almost everybody I know vacations in Nags Head...every damn year. The few of us who left still carry that with us...out of my 46 person high school graduating class, I can count on one hand the number of people who left Tidewater for elsewhere. I left, went back and then left for good in 2012. I've discovered I like living in the southwest USA MUCH better than in good old Tidewater

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Dear God! I’m sure lots of schools in the south won’t let kids out at 30 above.

They CLOSE THE SCHOOLS here when it's below 20ºF.

33 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

To us Tidewater folks, Richmond is almost another country. We won't discuss NoVa. I know...we're a bunch of hicks who probably should have joined NC, especially since almost everybody I know vacations in Nags Head...every damn year. The few of us who left still carry that with us...out of my 46 person high school graduating class, I can count on one hand the number of people who left Tidewater for elsewhere. I left, went back and then left for good in 2012. I've discovered I like living in the southwest USA MUCH better than in good old Tidewater

Or, as some of our area's misguided civic leaders are pushing down our throats: 'Coastal Virginia.' Or worse: CoVA.  :my_dodgy:  As a 50-year resident, that's a big fat nope from me. It will always be Tidewater, thanks very much. :pb_biggrin:

My in laws used to live in Gloucester! 

They closed schools in AR a few weeks ago for a half inch of snow. But then the roads are all hills and valleys and they don't salt. They're talking 10 inches by Friday night here in Michigan and not a hint of closing. Temps with wind chill have to be -25 for it be cold enough to cancel school.

4 hours ago, viii said:

Hahaha yeah earlier this week it was -48 C. Brrrrrr. 

Wow that’s cold! We sometimes get down under -30 but I’ve never experienced under -40. We had -19 here the other day but I missed the 1 on the thermometer and was a bit surprised. The kids played outside at kindy though. They froze stuff and was was pretty excited about it. We’re having the best winter. So much snow!

30 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

They CLOSE THE SCHOOLS here when it's below 20ºF.

I’m pretty sure they’ve never closed the schools here because of the cold. We get several days each winter that dip below -45 Celsius. 

2 minutes ago, curlykate said:

I’m pretty sure they’ve never closed the schools here because of the cold. We get several days each winter that dip below -45 Celsius. 

So, you live on Mars?

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

-45 Celsius is beyond my comprehension.

Yep. That's unimaginable. Completely. 

I live in central Maryland and have a Personal Rule that dictates not leaving the house if it's below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I invoked PR20 several days in a row in early January. (Grateful to be able to work remotely some days and to have a pretty lenient workplace in general.)

They close the schools here when it dips below 10 degrees here :pb_lol: (Ohio). It always seems a bit excessive since the kids have to make up the days at the end of the year. I don’t see why the kids can’t just stay inside for recess and lunch. 

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

You can go through so many towns in Texas and not even know you’ve been though them till you see a “city” limits sight :)  

In  one of them Bremond near Waco my people dating back to the 1880s and before are buried. Immigrants from Poland and First settlers in the county. I cried when I visited. 

Ah, familial units are in Franklin or just down the road, Roans Prairie.

6 hours ago, viii said:

You learn to adjust, really. When it becomes daily routine for half the year, it's not something you really notice anymore. I only notice the temp more now because I started to work at a school, and if it's colder than -30, we have to keep the kids indoor. Otherwise, life just went on and you only noticed how cold it was when your car wouldn't start, lol. 

Shoot here in San Antonio, we have to keep our daycare kids inside if it'd colder than 32*F, lol

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Dear God! I’m sure lots of schools in the south won’t let kids out at 30 above.

NOT on the South and my kids can't go out below 32F. My jaw dropped at the post you quoted lol.

11 minutes ago, viii said:

Bless your little warm hearts!

I feel the same. :pb_lol: Where I’m from, school isn’t cancelled until it hits -60F. 

My husband's work has taken him to Barrow , AK many times. I think this is literally the north pole. The awful temps, the stories he tells, the darkness- well, it sounds like hell on earth to me. I've gone with him on some of his trips but this one i have zero interest. 

I live about halfway down the east coast of Australia. The lowest it's ever been here would be 2 or 3 degrees celsius. Talk of -45 celsius is ridiculous. Like it's another planet.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived