IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

3 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:
9 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

That's really cool, thanks! I am terrible at British names. I was so embarrassed when I realized "Warwick" is actually pronounced "Warrick," and that Gloucestershire is not "glau-chester-shire," but "Gloster-shire," etc. More than anything, though, I'm glad I never mispronounced any of those things in front of an actual Brit. Hahaha

What?! No way lol!

Yup. Ikr? 

And I was half asleep writing that last night, so Gloucestershire is really more like 'glosster-shur'...I think. Anglophenia has a video on YouTube of an American getting corrected in attempting to pronounce British place names, which is pretty educational.

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

In Texas we get 4 seasons: hot , hotter, hottest and pits of hell.  Our winter is a week. When I was younger we used to get seasons now it’s just draining heat :( 

Indeed, good woman. May I suggest moving to the PNW? There's lots of rain, but it's like living in a painting, and you don't have to worry about your brain boiling to death inside your skull.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Tatamagouche and Antigonish, win in the how in the name of the flicking Jesus do you pronounce that! :P 

As someone who used to live right between these places, it's: 

Ta da mah goosh ("goo" like the word "good")

And

Ann ih guh NISH

That is the best I can explain on pronouncing those names.  

Musquodoboit is another fun one.  (It's  "musk a dob it")

1 hour ago, Texas Heifer said:

May I suggest moving to the PNW

To me, that would be a fate worse than death. I've visited the PNW and couldn't even begin to fathom living there. It's just so... crunchy and granola-y and dismal.

8 minutes ago, TZmom said:

Ann ih guh NISH

REALLY? Dammit, all this time I've been saying 'an-TIG-un-ish'! 

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

To me, that would be a fate worse than death. I've visited the PNW and couldn't even begin to fathom living there. It's just so... crunchy and granola-y and dismal.

Bahahahaha! It certainly can be dismal, you're not wrong. And crunchy...sometimes, though I haven't noticed it any more than I did in the Austin area. The summers, though! They are glorious! Well, except for this last one, which was incredibly dry and included wildfires. :my_confused:

The summers here just make my life worth living, after 33 summers of wilting in the Texas heat. I don't dread going outside. The rain the rest of the year does get old for sure, though.

33 minutes ago, TZmom said:

As someone who used to live right between these places, it's: 

Ta da mah goosh ("goo" like the word "good")

And

Ann ih guh NISH

That is the best I can explain on pronouncing those names.  

Musquodoboit is another fun one.  (It's  "musk a dob it")

Ooh--my people came from that area--Antigonish to the Cape Breton area!  I am planning a venture up there at some point in the future to do genealogical research.  Some distant family still there & lots of others buried there.  What I know for sure is that they all have such similar names--Campbells, Mackenzies, and McNeils. I don't think anyone else lived in the Cape Breton area except them!

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

REALLY? Dammit, all this time I've been saying 'an-TIG-un-ish'! 

Trust me, you're not alone!

Also, I hope I'm quoting properly.  My account was dormant for a while and i finally decided to get things fixed instead of just lurking.  I'm probably making a mess of things :)

45 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Ooh--my people came from that area--Antigonish to the Cape Breton area!  I am planning a venture up there at some point in the future to do genealogical research.  Some distant family still there & lots of others buried there.  What I know for sure is that they all have such similar names--Campbells, Mackenzies, and McNeils. I don't think anyone else lived in the Cape Breton area except them!

I'm pretty sure everyone from Cape Breton is a MacNeil or married to one.  I'm not from CB but my husband is (and is a MacNeil) as are all his unrelated friends.

17 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Is Rather Be by Clean Bandit fundie approved or something?

To say 'there's no place I'd rather be' isn't an expression they coined, if you can even call it an expression. It's a thing people said before that song came out....

On 2/7/2018 at 8:41 PM, Bad Wolf said:

-45 Celsius is beyond my comprehension.

I wish it was mine, Honestly it doesn't feel much different than -30 C, at that point it is just how fast you can get frost bite.  It is just painfully cold, the kind of cold that hurts any exposed skin, makes your eyes burn and your lungs ache. 

57 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I wish it was mine, Honestly it doesn't feel much different than -30 C, at that point it is just how fast you can get frost bite.  It is just painfully cold, the kind of cold that hurts any exposed skin, makes your eyes burn and your lungs ache. 

Agreed, after a certain point, effing cold is just effing cold.

13 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

And I was half asleep writing that last night, so Gloucestershire is really more like 'glosster-shur'...I think. Anglophenia has a video on YouTube of an American getting corrected in attempting to pronounce British place names, which is pretty educational.

I spent some time in Norfolk and that has some bass-ackward pronunciations- even for born'n'bred Brits.

Happisburgh becomes "Haze-bura", Wymondham becomes "Wind-um" and Magdalene becomes "Maud-lin". Add to that the thick accent, and it becomes incomprehensible. My friend ended up sleeping with a taxi driver, and she still claims she has no idea how it happened* because she had no idea what he was saying...

*it was all very mutual- she just doesn't know what was said, or how it was agreed! And, yes, she even paid her fare first!

9 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Is Rather Be by Clean Bandit fundie approved or something? First Jinger, and Josiah quoted the song.

First, eww fundie stare, and second, I always wondered how they went about mainstream music. You know they can't avoid all of it. Do some songs get parent approved? Does poor Jana have to google the meanings to make sure they're not secretly about sex. 

8 hours ago, Nargus said:

Ding ding ding. It's -41 here this morning, which literally doesn't feel much different than -30. It just means we get the kids inside quicker because your skin freezes sooner. C'est la vie. 

8 hours ago, Nargus said:

My personal effing cold is 20°F. Anything below that is just horrid and I don't go out in it unless I have to.

31 minutes ago, viii said:

Ding ding ding. It's -41 here this morning, which literally doesn't feel much different than -30. It just means we get the kids inside quicker because your skin freezes sooner. C'est la vie. 

Yeah, as someone upthread mentioned, the only difference is the burning eyeballs cuz that's a body part you can't cover up unless you want to wear goggles or something. When it's that cold your eyes water which makes your eyelashes freeze and then you can't see where the hell you're going. I wear glasses and the wind sort of rushes around the edges of the frame and blasts my poor eyeballs worse than if I take my glasses off.  Either way I can't see a damn thing when I'm outside in such cold weather. Gotta love winter in the great white north.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

First, eww fundie stare, and second, I always wondered how they went about mainstream music. You know they can't avoid all of it. Do some songs get parent approved? Does poor Jana have to google the meanings to make sure they're not secretly about sex. 

I am a medium-old and have never heard of this song. But have always been familiar with the expression.

43 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

burning eyeballs

Fucking hell. Are you fucking kidding? WHY WOULD YOU LIVE WHERE THE WEATHER MAKES YOUR EYEBALLS BURN/FREEZE???? lol

Edit:  I'm joking, really - I just can't imagine being THAT cold.

16 hours ago, TZmom said:

I'm pretty sure everyone from Cape Breton is a MacNeil or married to one.  I'm not from CB but my husband is (and is a MacNeil) as are all his unrelated friends.

I'm sure we are related somehow!  There are only a few first names to go with all those Mc/MacNeils as well! 

haha when it's especially cold (but not -30 cold), we will wear goggles on supervision during recess. When you're trying to keep track of the kids, you don't want your eyes constantly watering. 

1 hour ago, viii said:

I feel like once you get past -20 it all feels the same. We had a spell of -20 and under for a few weeks around Christmas that when it actually hit 0 I felt like I noticed a huge difference.

And it depends on the time of the year. When it hits -10 in October/November, everyone is like BRRRR it's a cold day! In fall, colder temps just feel damp and horrible. Yet if it's -10 in like.. February or March, everyone is all AHHH balmy weather, drive with the windows down! 

We're about to dig out of the snow for the 3rd time since we got up this morning. And it's a whooping 19 degrees F.  We may make an attempt at sledding if we can safely get out of our neighborhood.

I'm fine with the cold unless it's windy. Last month there was a coldspell in my area, making it about 5 degrees farenheit for a few days. Yeah, it was cold but it wasn't that bad. Then I went back to college. The coldest it's been here is about 20 degrees, but the wind has literally frozen my ears as I walked home from class. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived