IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

I'm  in southern Ontario and we like to pretend we're tough northerners but are complete chickens compared to the rest of Canada and northern states like Minnesota. Still it gets into -30 something Celsius (-20F) a few times each winter. School was never cancelled for cold, only for snow though.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember very vividly in Grade 12, we had a really cold snap and my dad made my brother and I go to school, it was -30-something (-47C with wind chill) because he didn’t think we should get to stay home 2 days in a row ‘for no reason’. 

I blogged about it cause 12 years ago I was cool and had a blog. 

1 hour ago, Nargus said:

I remember very vividly in Grade 12, we had a really cold snap and my dad made my brother and I go to school, it was -30-something (-47C with wind chill) because he didn’t think we should get to stay home 2 days in a row ‘for no reason’. 

I blogged about it cause 12 years ago I was cool and had a blog. 

Me too! Though it was more like 15 years ago. It's defunct now, but I can find it on the Wayback Machine if I feel like expiring of embarrassment. Lol

3 hours ago, Dogalog said:

I live about halfway down the east coast of Australia. The lowest it's ever been here would be 2 or 3 degrees celsius. Talk of -45 celsius is ridiculous. Like it's another planet.

You sound like my Australian sister in law. :)

She always think she would freeze to death if she came visiting here in winter. (Or even fall, she’s just really scared of being cold.) We dress for the cold though, and build our houses to keep it out. I much prefer cold to really hot weather. Guess I’m just really Swedish, I just can’t deal with heat. There is only so much clothes you can take off ...

48 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I much prefer cold to really hot weather. Guess I’m just really Swedish, I just can’t deal with heat. There is only so much clothes you can take off ...

I'm not Swedish, but I feel the same! To me, it's much more difficult to dress for heat than for cold. I can dress for the cold and still function. While, like you said, when it's hot, there's only so much you can take off. ( I've tried those loose fitting clothes people in warmer climates tend to wear, but to me it made no difference. I just don't function well in hot weather).

When it comes to pronouncing place names, I think we Brits are in the top 10 for WTF places.

For example (and because the video is hilarious):

Spoiler

Here's another with the ever entertaining Welsh names included:

Spoiler

There are really odd pronunciations in the area where I live. Such as -

Cudworth = Cud'uth

Worsbrough = Wusbruh

Dodworth = Dod'uth

Elsecar = El-suh-cuh

Brierley = Bree-lee

Kendray = Kend-ree

There's also a village called Wombwell. Which I think is hilarious.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:13 PM, Texas Heifer said:

Also, just as a side note, there's a street in Vancouver, WA called Minnehaha, which is pronounced exactly as it looks, but still gives me the hahas. 

There is a Minnehaha in Minneapolis too. Minnehaha Falls was one of our favorite hangouts with the kids when we lived there. Beautiful park to enjoy, the waterfall, trails for bikes and ice cream! 

5 hours ago, Dogalog said:

I live about halfway down the east coast of Australia. The lowest it's ever been here would be 2 or 3 degrees celsius. Talk of -45 celsius is ridiculous. Like it's another planet.

Are you, by chance, near the brown snake? no need to confirm, it would just be really cool haha

but I can relate, when i visited Utah last year and in years prior and it was freezing I remembered that one day in highschool when they wouldn't let us outside for lunch without our blazers and scarves because it was 16 degrees celsius haha

5 hours ago, Dogalog said:

It gets below 20 Celcius here an I complain it's too cold!!

Last year when we had one of those hottest day ever/ 49+ degree days, my friend messaged me from northern middle of frozen somewhere where it was -45. We laughed so hard realising there was almost 100 degrees Celsius difference between us at the same moment on earth. Kinda neat when you think about it!

2 hours ago, Bushes of Love said:

When it comes to pronouncing place names, I think we Brits are in the top 10 for WTF places.

For example (and because the video is hilarious):

Hide contents

Here's another with the ever entertaining Welsh names included:

Reveal hidden contents

There are really odd pronunciations in the area where I live. Such as -

Cudworth = Cud'uth

Worsbrough = Wusbruh

Dodworth = Dod'uth

Elsecar = El-suh-cuh

Brierley = Bree-lee

Kendray = Kend-ree

There's also a village called Wombwell. Which I think is hilarious.

That's really cool, thanks! I am terrible at British names. I was so embarrassed when I realized "Warwick" is actually pronounced "Warrick," and that Gloucestershire is not "glau-chester-shire," but "Gloster-shire," etc. More than anything, though, I'm glad I never mispronounced any of those things in front of an actual Brit. Hahaha

1 hour ago, Texas Heifer said:

I'm glad I never mispronounced any of those things in front of an actual Brit.

:pb_cry:

Imagine trying to read a news story to your Brit husband. Or telling him you've found a town that would be great to visit. It's a thing. I've been corrected more in the ~20 years we've been together than I had in the ~30 years prior to our meeting. lol

7 hours ago, Dogalog said:

My friend from North Queensland came to visit us in Southern Ontario in October. I remember her saying, "I've always wondered about how people freeze to death and now I know!" We laughed and told her to come back in January or February!  (It was 5-10* Celsius; so not even freezing...)

3 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

There is a Minnehaha in Minneapolis too. Minnehaha Falls was one of our favorite hangouts with the kids when we lived there. Beautiful park to enjoy, the waterfall, trails for bikes and ice cream! 

That's such a cool place. My dad used to take us there when we visited Minnesota. I love the falls.

Yeah, I would take the cold over extreme heat any day. Unfortunately, I live in the Sunshine Capital of Canada, so our summers are as hot as our winters are cold! 

23 minutes ago, viii said:

Yeah, I would take the cold over extreme heat any day. Unfortunately, I live in the Sunshine Capital of Canada, so our summers are as hot as our winters are cold! 

Not in the sunshine Capital here but I planned out a temperature blanket and I ended up needing WAY more colours than Pinterest suggested, because my scale had to go from -30C to +30C. Ended up being 14 colours. Less than that and I would have had the entire months of Jan/Feb all in one colour because it was below -20 and all of June/July/Aug another because it was above +20. 

13 hours ago, mstee said:

They close the schools here when it dips below 10 degrees here :pb_lol: (Ohio). It always seems a bit excessive since the kids have to make up the days at the end of the year. I don’t see why the kids can’t just stay inside for recess and lunch. 

I’m in Michigan. They close because some kids have no choice but to walk to school and they don’t want kids walking to school in dangerous temperatures. I remember one year we had six days off called “ice days” just due to the cold weather. That was fricken awesome!

5 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

That's really cool, thanks! I am terrible at British names. I was so embarrassed when I realized "Warwick" is actually pronounced "Warrick," and that Gloucestershire is not "glau-chester-shire," but "Gloster-shire," etc. More than anything, though, I'm glad I never mispronounced any of those things in front of an actual Brit. Hahaha

What?! No way lol!

18 minutes ago, Nargus said:

I planned out a temperature blanket

I'm doing a temperature blanket too! My colors accommodate >1°F to >100°F. :)

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm doing a temperature blanket too! My colors accommodate >1°F to >100°F. :)

I just finished two of these last year!!

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/nitrot150/temperature-blanket

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/nitrot150/temperature-blanket-2

(you'll only be able to see if you have a Rav acct)

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

My favourite Canadian place name is Moose Factory.

My favourite Canadian place name is Cupids. Not super Canadian but I love the name and the place. 

For the WTF were people thinking names, I go with; Dildo, Blow Me Down, and Jerry's Nose

Tatamagouche and Antigonish, win in the how in the name of the flicking Jesus do you pronounce that! :P 

I had never heard of a temperature blanket, but I love the idea and now must make! :my_heart: or rather :changing_color_heart:

51 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I had never heard of a temperature blanket, but I love the idea and now must make! :my_heart: or rather :changing_color_heart:

I just heard about it this year, because my friend is crocheting a temperature scarf. I decided to knit a blanket instead of a scarf. 

I ended up choosing 8 colours to go from -50 to +45. (The rainbow ROYGBP and then black and white. ) I wanted to keep it simple. 

In Texas we get 4 seasons: hot , hotter, hottest and pits of hell.  Our winter is a week. When I was younger we used to get seasons now it’s just draining heat :( 

I'm currently doing a temperature blanket. I have 11 colors ranging from lilac for 0 (F) and below to red for 90-99; I can go to maroon if I need to go 100+ but I doubt I will. So far I've only used the bottom five colors (only two rows  were above freezing).

Shoot here in San Antonio, we have to keep our daycare kids inside if it'd colder than 32*F, lol

That’s a recommendation from one of the national early childhood education groups. They follow it for pre-k at the schools I work in as well. Older kids go out if it is above 0 typically. It is 18f today (-7 c) and I’ll be out with second grade in a bit.

It takes negative temps with negative wind chills to close here for cold. But we’re talking temps where buses won’t always run and frostbite happens in less than ten minutes.

2 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I’m in Michigan. They close because some kids have no choice but to walk to school and they don’t want kids walking to school in dangerous temperatures. I remember one year we had six days off called “ice days” just due to the cold weather. That was fricken awesome!

In the Upper South we get made fun of a lot for closing schools when it's super cold for the region, but not necessarily all that bad for those in the North. Part of the reason is a lot of the kids don't have clothes warm enough to be outside in, so there could be issues waiting for the bus or walking to school, especially in poorer areas where kids can't get a ride from their parents. This happened recently in South Carolina when it dipped below the teens.

I noticed when I went to Quebec last winter that part of the reason things continue to function so well is because everything is designed for lots of snow. Everyone has winter tires, good snow boots, insulated coats. If Georgia gets three feet of snow, things kinds of have to shut down because everyone lacks the proper equipment to deal with it.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived