IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

3 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

Probably the colleges don't want the film crew there. Or the clients with the real-estate and car lot. Didn't they have to hire an actor to pretend to buy the car from Jinger? They give reference to Ben studying on his lap-top, and doing the work for Jimbob that only involves the family, but anywhere else, and people have to give permission to be filmed, right?

True, but I'm sure someone somewhere would be ok with being filmed. People often like appearing on TV. Plus they could show the Duggar boys working at the car lot, cleaning or fixing the used cars they bought, doing admin stuff,... IDK, I'm sure they could find something else to show than forced Duggar outings, courtships, weddings, and wedding prep.

Side note: I love weddings. And I also love seeing wedding prep. Just not all the time, and not almost one baby after the fact :giggle:

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@sweetjuly that is a valid point. They're unusually private about a lot of details for a reality tv family. They travel a lot to do this and that and there's only a select amount of that kind of footage they share. They have friendships, are probably involved at church, and do things that pertain to what specifically interests them. Jessa, we know from her instagram likes to binge watch Fixer Upper on her laptop. She can't be the only one who is interested in specific things. Joseph, I guess, works on (owns?) a car lot or for Jim Bob, I mean I'm assuming he has some sort of job that pays for him and Kendra to eat and have the power on. Watching him do that job could be interesting. So much emphasis is put on marriage, courting, babies, but why not more of their real lives? I'd like to see what JD does all day and if Jana isn't spending all her time babysitting, what is she doing? If she is spending all her time working at the house, I think that'd be more interesting than watching them plan another wedding. I don't care about staged building of tree houses or pretending to be interested in buying/selling cars. Like, what are they actually doing with their time? It can't be more uninteresting than what they actually show us, so why can't we just actually see them doing life? 

In Texas, there are lots of weird pronunciations (I mean, even without the drawl -- which I do not possess, as I got rid of mine as a teenager, for fear of sounding dumb). The two I can think of off the top of my head are "Guadalupe" (pronounced gwad-a-loop) and a street in Austin called Manchaca (pronounced MAN-chack, which my husband finds hysterical, despite the fact that there are Washington towns like Sequim, pronounced schwimm).

Also, just as a side note, there's a street in Vancouver, WA called Minnehaha, which is pronounced exactly as it looks, but still gives me the hahas. 

On 2/2/2018 at 7:23 AM, LimeKitty said:

Near where I grew up in Wisconsin, there is a Milwaukee suburb called "New Berlin". However, the "Berlin" is not pronounced the same as Berlin, Germany, which has the emphasis on the second syllable "lin". New Berlin is pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable "Ber". It was always so funny to hear non-native Wisconsinites pronounce it the same as one would say Berlin, Germany. It always sounded so odd. :lol:

There's a city named Berlin in Wisconsin also - it's outside of Oshkosh - and is pronounced the same way: BER-lin.  My grandfather lived there.

I hate it how I use the English/American pronunciation of cities in my own country when I speak English, I try to use the local ones but sometimes it doesn't flow with the English sentence.

However, when I lived in a city called Maastricht there were so many Germans there that I started to copy their pronunciation when speaking English (MAAS-tricht versus maas-TRICHT). I really annoyed myself all the time :my_biggrin:

27 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've never heard Maastricht pronounced any way other than mass-TRICHT.

Then speak to the Germans ;-) they use a very long aaaaaaa as well, so it is more MAAAAAHHHS-tricht.

15 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Then speak to the Germans ;-) they use a very long aaaaaaa as well, so it is more MAAAAAHHHS-tricht.

One question - how do you pronounce the "-tricht" part correctly?

Is it tricht as in a soft German "ch" ?

Is it triCHt as in a harsher Dutch "ch"-sound (I think the letter G is often pronounced that way)?

Is it it triKt as Francophone Belgians pronounce it?

Please help! :)

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

One question - how do you pronounce the "-tricht" part correctly?

Is it tricht as in a soft German "ch" ?

Is it triCHt as in a harsher Dutch "ch"-sound (I think the letter G is often pronounced that way)?

Is it it triKt as Francophone Belgians pronounce it?

Please help! :)

Since it is in the South, the locals would say the German one. The rest of the country would use the harsh Dutch one.

Southern-Dutchies use a way softer G than the rest.

5 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I hate it how I use the English/American pronunciation of cities in my own country when I speak English, I try to use the local ones but sometimes it doesn't flow with the English sentence.

However, when I lived in a city called Maastricht there were so many Germans there that I started to copy their pronunciation when speaking English (MAAS-tricht versus maas-TRICHT). I really annoyed myself all the time :my_biggrin:

Right now I'm talking out loud on the train to find out which one I use.. 

Whenever someone mentions Berlin, I think about the first time I met one of my sister's new in laws and one of them asked me what "a Berlin was" She didn't realize it was a city and thought it was an object. I was about to laugh until I saw my sister giving me the familiar "I'm going to beat your ass" stare across the room as I nicely explained that it was indeed a city and not an object. 

20 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Well , the entire belgian and dutch  population  say maaaaasss tricht to , only the (very)  local people use their accents and  put emphasis on tricht.

1 hour ago, ven said:

Well , the entire belgian and dutch  population  say maaaaasss tricht to , only the (very)  local people use their accents and  put emphasis on tricht.

That's strange, I am from the middle of the country and lived everywhere except for the North and I have never heard anyone emphasize the first part except for the Germans.

ETA: I feel like I have to find a video of the German pronounciation to show what I mean but I am at work now so I can't.

I think it is generally very common that non-locals, and especially foreigners, mispronounce place names.

Either because they are unfamiliar with the local language or dialect, or because the name of the city is actually different in another language.

It's unsurprisingly super-common in the US because there are many, many place names that come from other languages (for example French) and have had their names twisted and tortured by a ) the passing of time (French from 1700 was pronounced differently than French nowadays) and b ) speakers of other languages.

So if I see a US place name that "looks" French and am unfamiliar with the local pronunciation, I will default to my knowledge of French and pronounce the name accordingly. This will then in all likelihood be technically correct, but practically super-wrong :) 

On 2/4/2018 at 9:45 PM, lizzybee said:

@sweetjuly that is a valid point. They're unusually private about a lot of details for a reality tv family. They travel a lot to do this and that and there's only a select amount of that kind of footage they share. 

I wonder if they decided to keep it more in the family after so many awkward run in's in the past? Remember when Jill and Jana volunteered at the fire station and they went to show their boss how they sewed fire pants into skirts? He looked like he could not care less and that they were seriously wasting his time. It wouldn't surprise me if he put his foot down on no filming from there forward (because did we ever see it again?) Or the time they went to the Creation Museum and they added a bunch of people disagreeing with them in post. I think they're afraid of criticism again. 

All this talk of the German language and such made me think of those old German language memes. I had to google them, and they still make me laugh. I have to admit, that I love the fact, that Germans have a word for literally everything.

Here's a couple of my favorite memes....

Spoiler

funny-pictures-german-language-meme-5.jp

Spoiler

funny-pictures-german-language-meme-3.jp

On 2/4/2018 at 11:13 PM, Texas Heifer said:

In Texas, there are lots of weird pronunciations (I mean, even without the drawl -- which I do not possess, as I got rid of mine as a teenager, for fear of sounding dumb). The two I can think of off the top of my head are "Guadalupe" (pronounced gwad-a-loop) and a street in Austin called Manchaca (pronounced MAN-chack, which my husband finds hysterical, despite the fact that there are Washington towns like Sequim, pronounced schwimm).

Also, just as a side note, there's a street in Vancouver, WA called Minnehaha, which is pronounced exactly as it looks, but still gives me the hahas. 

I was told off by a coworker for saying Man-cha-ca even though ny Texan boyfriend has instructed me to say MAN-chack.  I just feel so silly adopting the deliberate mispronunciation of a street name.

1 hour ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

All this talk of the German language and such made me think of those old German language memes. I had to google them, and they still make me laugh. I have to admit, that I love the fact, that Germans have a word for literally everything.

Here's a couple of my favorite memes....

Reveal hidden contents

funny-pictures-german-language-meme-5.jp

Reveal hidden contents

funny-pictures-german-language-meme-3.jp

Blütenblättern is one of my favourite German words (along with Streichholzschächtelchen - a small box of matches)!

The only German word I use with any frequency, is Muffensausen. It's the name I use for online gaming. I kind of understand what it means, but I really picked it, because I know some people would say Muffen like Muffin, and I thought it was funny to kill people with the name Muffin. My German online friend, told me that some people use it, as an expression for "to get the shits", which made the name even MORE amazing.

5 hours ago, Skeptic said:

I was told off by a coworker for saying Man-cha-ca even though ny Texan boyfriend has instructed me to say MAN-chack.  I just feel so silly adopting the deliberate mispronunciation of a street name.

My husband understands. I mean, I do, too, really. I would feel the same way you do if I were you. I have no idea why it's mispronounced. I feel silly saying Minnehaha, and that isn't!

How dumb to tell you off for it, though. It's not like anyone is going to be physically hurt if you pronounce it with the A on the end! Anybody who gets snippy with you again, tell them I (born in Austin!) gave you permission. :kitty-wink:

On 1/29/2018 at 9:14 AM, RainbowSky said:

@fluffernutter It's redd up if it helps any. I have np idea of why. Never tried to look it up lol

Was yinz a word thrown around as well? Or "sweep" instead of using vacuum as a verb?  

:pb_lol:

"Sweep" is a word for vacuum in my family. "Run the sweeper" is another. So, if I saw "sweep your room" they known it has carpet therefore it is vacuumed.  My grandmother used "Davenport" for sofa, too.  My g-grdma called green peppers "mangoes" Yep--Indiana. Where there is Veye-enna (Vienna) and Edin-berg (Edinburgh) and Vee-vee (Vevay) and, in times past but not so much now, Bray-zil (Brazil)

11 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

So if I see a US place name that "looks" French and am unfamiliar with the local pronunciation, I will default to my knowledge of French and pronounce the name accordingly. This will then in all likelihood be technically correct, but practically super-wrong :) 

Here, we have Lake Pend Oreille and the nearby town of Ponderay, pronounced the same.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived