IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

57 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Here, we have Lake Pend Oreille and the nearby town of Ponderay, pronounced the same.

I find that so cool. I wonder how that happened/the reasons for it?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

I find that so cool. I wonder how that happened/the reasons for it?

I live about 430 miles away from there, so I've never heard how it happened. When I've seen it on maps, I've always kind of assumed that a person who knew French wrote down the "official" name of the lake, but that someone who only knew English spelling wrote down the town's name. I might see if I can find out. :)

Alaska has some weird pronunciation things too. We have Valdez (Val-deez), Knik, Tok, Unalakleet...and of course, Coldfoot and Chicken. 

17 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

Alaska has some weird pronunciation things too. We have Valdez (Val-deez), Knik, Tok, Unalakleet...and of course, Coldfoot and Chicken. 

My parents went on an Alaskan cruise about 15 years ago and loved Chicken!

I think my favorite Ohio example is Hicksville. Blue Ball (near Middletown) was another we had fun with in college.

[I see Blue Ball is now part of Middletown and has been since 1993.]

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and we have many towns with weird names, such as Moose Jaw, Elbow, Forget, Fertile, Smuts, Semans, Love, and my favourite - Climax, Saskatchewan. 

We're apparently quite dirty minded up here! 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, Skeptic said:

I was told off by a coworker for saying Man-cha-ca even though ny Texan boyfriend has instructed me to say MAN-chack.  I just feel so silly adopting the deliberate mispronunciation of a street name.

OMG this all day.  There is a push to pronounce Camp Lejeune as Lejern.  Both are with the French jz sound not like the J in June but the family of the man it was named for is saying it is being pronounced wrong.  I understand wanting to honor the family's wishes. I really do.  But that seems ridiculous to me.   My family is from the mountains and pronounce a town close to where they grew up as War-sh-bern when in all actuallity it is Washburn. Putting an r in to words that don't have one just seems to be a dialect and I don't think anyone there would insist that outsiders pronounce it the same as them so I just don't get the push to try and get all these people to pronounce the name of the base differently than they have for 50+ years. People have a hard enough time figuring out how to pronounce the j sound with out making it sound completely different than it looks.  

16 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My parents went on an Alaskan cruise about 15 years ago and loved Chicken!

They do a great music festival every year called Chickenstock!

16 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Texas has some great ones. Names with character: Cut and Shoot,Gun barrel City and Telephone ! 

That was...surreal. I have been to so many of those places. Bay City was the rival of the town I grew up in. My brother and SIL started out in Round Rock. Every single little thing in that video was as familiar to me as the back of my hand.

Now I'm homesick, lol.

You can go through so many towns in Texas and not even know you’ve been though them till you see a “city” limits sight :)  

In  one of them Bremond near Waco my people dating back to the 1880s and before are buried. Immigrants from Poland and First settlers in the county. I cried when I visited. 

3 hours ago, viii said:

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and we have many towns with weird names, such as Moose Jaw, Elbow, Forget, Fertile, Smuts, Semans, Love, and my favourite - Climax, Saskatchewan. 

We're apparently quite dirty minded up here! 

Moose Jaw! Corner Gas taught me about Moose Jaw, or rather, that such a place exists.

Corner Gas was the best fucking show ever, I have watched every episode eleventy hojillion times, and I am so excited about the animated series, though I don't know how I'm going to watch it since I'm in the US (though barely). I will find a way, by god! I will find a waaaaaay! *shakes fist at sky* 

Anyway. Saskatchewan and the area where I grew up look really, really similar. It must be because the swath of land down the continent is the same type, more or less. It's flat grassland, but down where I'm from, we grew cotton, rice, corn and maize, rather than wheat, barley, canola, etc. 

The puddles in the grass, though. I thought I was looking at my backyard in my hometown when I saw that on the show.

Please Rufus I haven't just started the most boring thread drift ever. "What crops grow in your hometown?" :pb_lol:

I miss Corner Gas! It filmed an hour and a half away from me, so I've been on the set a couple times. That was such a fun show, and so accurate to small town living, ha. 

16 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

You can go through so many towns in Texas and not even know you’ve been though them till you see a “city” limits sight :)  

So true! Near my hometown, there is a bump in the road with a stop sign or something. That "town" is called Nada.

Spanish for "nothing," and pronounced "Nay-duh." Haaaa, Texans are weird.

There's also a little town where my high school sweetheart grew up, though he went to school in our town, because there was not a school where he lived, called New Taiton. It still has the dance hall I used to frequent, though it looks very different now. Taiton Hall. Ah, good memreez.

7 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

So true! Near my hometown, there is a bump in the road with a stop sign or something. That "town" is called Nada.

Spanish for "nothing," and pronounced "Nay-duh." Haaaa, Texans are weird.

Ha, I live ten minutes from a small town called Bienfait. Instead of being pronounced the proper French way, it's pronounced bean-fate. Classy, lol. 

4 minutes ago, viii said:

I miss Corner Gas! It filmed an hour and a half away from me, so I've been on the set a couple times. That was such a fun show, and so accurate to small town living, ha. 

I am brimming over with jealousy. I follow all the CG folks on Instagram and Twitter. I feel like they're family. I like them more than a lot of my family, anyway. Hahaha. I cried when Janet Wright passed, and I do not get starstruck, as a rule, so that entire cast has quite the hold on me. I live in the Lesser Vancouver, and soothe myself with the knowledge that most of them live in a city with the same name, even if it's not actually the same place.

I also got really sad when the CG set got torn down.

I would move to Rouleau, and my husband with me, if there were any way to support ourselves there! I'm super weird, though.

Ha! I don't think you'd want to go from Vancouver to Rouleau. Vancouver to Regina would be a big enough adjustment shock, let alone Rouleau. Ha. If you ever get the chance to attend a Brent Butt Standup Show, do it! He's super funny and really nice in person. 

@viii

I also want to note that I introduced my very-Texan niece and nephew to Corner Gas, since every episode is available free on YouTube. They love it! Every time I go home, these kids beg me to watch it. They are especially fond of the pinkeye episode. :pb_lol:

8 minutes ago, viii said:

Ha! I don't think you'd want to go from Vancouver to Rouleau. Vancouver to Regina would be a big enough adjustment shock, let alone Rouleau. Ha. If you ever get the chance to attend a Brent Butt Standup Show, do it! He's super funny and really nice in person. 

Omg. You have met Brent. I literally could not be more jealous. I could not. I am embarrassed at how jealous I am.

Yeah, I'm sure I would never leave the house in winter. I have never known cold like that. But since the show was almost entirely filmed in the warm months, I can pretend it's nice there all the time. Ha! My husband's brother and his wife moved to North Dakota for a couple of years, had a baby there, and then moved back here as soon as they could, because their kid couldn't go outside for half the year. 

Sometimes I think I am certifiable. Hee hee

I have lived in some really small towns, but none as small as Rouleau, it's true. The smallest is Wimberley, Texas, which had (at the time) about 3K people. I was a teacher there, and single with a cat. Lived in the guest house of a fellow teacher, since there were no apartments there then. It sucked. Coldest it ever got was 28*F. I doubt I would be able to survive Saskatchewan just because of the cold! I am O V E R the rain in the PNW by this time of year, but other than rain, this is the perfect climate for me. Rarely too hot in the summer, rarely too cold in the winter, snows once or twice a year and usually doesn't last long.

I wish I could pull up stakes and move to Vancouver BC, though. You know, while I'm dreaming.

1 minute ago, viii said:

Hahaha yeah earlier this week it was -48 C. Brrrrrr. 

Pardon my blasphemous ass, but Jesus Tapdancing Christ on a Cracker. :pb_eek:

Newp. I would die.

You learn to adjust, really. When it becomes daily routine for half the year, it's not something you really notice anymore. I only notice the temp more now because I started to work at a school, and if it's colder than -30, we have to keep the kids indoor. Otherwise, life just went on and you only noticed how cold it was when your car wouldn't start, lol. 

Speaking of pronouncing place names...Norfolk VA. The non-locals pronounce it NOR-folk. The locals? It's more like "naw-fick" or...as the sailors like to say "no fuck". Another one is Gloucester. It's pronounced "glaw-ster". Our favorite was "Dumfries"...oh the jokes! 

Ok...so us Tidewater types are a little odd...

1 hour ago, viii said:

I lived in Saskatoon for a while, and travelled around Saskatchewan a little bit.  The grain elevators in Corner Gas always made me reminisce about those times.  (Any photo of a grain elevator will make me do that though).

1 hour ago, viii said:

You learn to adjust, really. When it becomes daily routine for half the year, it's not something you really notice anymore. I only notice the temp more now because I started to work at a school, and if it's colder than -30, we have to keep the kids indoor. Otherwise, life just went on and you only noticed how cold it was when your car wouldn't start, lol. 

Dear God! I’m sure lots of schools in the south won’t let kids out at 30 above.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived