IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Yeah, as someone upthread mentioned, the only difference is the burning eyeballs cuz that's a body part you can't cover up unless you want to wear goggles or something. When it's that cold your eyes water which makes your eyelashes freeze and then you can't see where the hell you're going. I wear glasses and the wind sort of rushes around the edges of the frame and blasts my poor eyeballs worse than if I take my glasses off.  Either way I can't see a damn thing when I'm outside in such cold weather. Gotta love winter in the great white north.

Oh, gosh, the glasses problem! No one ever talks about it, but it happens! I had to take my (reading) glasses off between classes in high school/college because if I was going outside in winter? Heck no. 

I'm in sunny California and cannot imagine the temps some of you are discussing. You guys would laugh at what people here think is cold. If it's in the 50s or 60s people have heavy coats and boots and hats and scarves. Rain causes a lot of traffic accidents and delays and people just don't know how to handle it.

I am personally a cold weather person and hate it here. Luckily we moved to the mountains recently where it will be at least a couple degrees cooler in the summer. I'll take it!

If I had my way I would be living in northern Arizona. Monsoons in the summer time and lots and lots of snow in the wintertime. They have actual real weather there! Maybe I'll make it there one day.

It's summer in this hell hole. Yesterday was 104 degrees and I got heat exhaustion, this is the second time I got it since I'm living here in Argentina. I can't wait for the winter, turns out I'm a cold weather kind of person.

I also live where the -30 to -45C range isn’t unusual and there’s always a windchill on top of it but this winter has been particularly brutal. I don’t have much issue with my eyes. My legs are the biggest problem. I walk my dog 2-3 times a day (I don’t have a yard) and twice I’ve been in tears on my walk because the cold hurts my legs so much. Add to that the layer of sheer ice covering everything from a warm spell we had in early January and this has been a good winter for falling. Really over it at this point and still so far to go. 

On 2/8/2018 at 4:08 PM, Texas Heifer said:

Bahahahaha! It certainly can be dismal, you're not wrong. And crunchy...sometimes, though I haven't noticed it any more than I did in the Austin area. The summers, though! They are glorious! Well, except for this last one, which was incredibly dry and included wildfires. :my_confused:

The summers here just make my life worth living, after 33 summers of wilting in the Texas heat. I don't dread going outside. The rain the rest of the year does get old for sure, though.

another Texan chiming in about weather (btw love that this threaddrift has reached the most interesting of smalltalk topics xD). I might argue about the hot, hotter, hell characterization of seasons here though......we've had a few weeks this winter that bounce between 32F and dry, to 70F and rainy, within 48 hours.....haha. 

And on the topic of weird city name pronunciations....Texas is nowhere near as bad as other places but we've got a good mix of spanish/german/other colonial language/native american influence + a lazy southern accent, lol. Mexia, Amarillo, Gruene, Boerne, Pflugerville, Coppell, Palestine, Palacios, Waxahachie, and good ol' Waco are some of my favorites.

2 hours ago, Sairrr said:

I also live where the -30 to -45C range isn’t unusual and there’s always a windchill on top of it but this winter has been particularly brutal. I don’t have much issue with my eyes. My legs are the biggest problem. I walk my dog 2-3 times a day (I don’t have a yard) and twice I’ve been in tears on my walk because the cold hurts my legs so much. Add to that the layer of sheer ice covering everything from a warm spell we had in early January and this has been a good winter for falling. Really over it at this point and still so far to go. 

I hate when you're outside and your legs get that cold and when you finally start warming up, you get that itchy pins and needles sensation.  Ugh

19 minutes ago, Nargus said:

I hate when you're outside and your legs get that cold and when you finally start warming up, you get that itchy pins and needles sensation.  Ugh

You should try wearing leggings or tights under your pants. It might feel a bit weird, but it makes the biggest difference. 

I got to knock over 7 inches of snow off of my car earlier today thanks to an overnight snowstorm and the roads are just bad overall.  I think we're supposed to get even more snow over the weekend, too :my_cry:

1 hour ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

another Texan chiming in about weather (btw love that this threaddrift has reached the most interesting of smalltalk topics xD). I might argue about the hot, hotter, hell characterization of seasons here though......we've had a few weeks this winter that bounce between 32F and dry, to 70F and rainy, within 48 hours.....haha. 

And on the topic of weird city name pronunciations....Texas is nowhere near as bad as other places but we've got a good mix of spanish/german/other colonial language/native american influence + a lazy southern accent, lol. Mexia, Amarillo, Gruene, Boerne, Pflugerville, Coppell, Palestine, Palacios, Waxahachie, and good ol' Waco are some of my favorites.

Burnet! My dad was born there. "Burnet, durnit, cain'tcha learn it?"

Oh, Pflugerville! Why anyone would give a town a name that sounds like phlegm + loogey village, I will never understand! Gross! Lol

I live in fleece lined leggings for the moment. It's not even that cold -10c or so with a wind chill maybe around -15 or -16c. It's a damp cold though, goes straight to your bones. So you're not only cold, you feel wet! Even when you're not! 

On 09/02/2018 at 10:02 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Fucking hell. Are you fucking kidding? WHY WOULD YOU LIVE WHERE THE WEATHER MAKES YOUR EYEBALLS BURN/FREEZE???? lol

Edit:  I'm joking, really - I just can't imagine being THAT cold.

Universal health care. 12 months paid parental leave. Recently-introduced free prescription medications to those 24 and under. I missed out on those last 2 but am grateful for the first one even though it's not perfect. Plus we really really appreciate the other 3 seasons. The smell of mud in very early spring when the snow is just starting to melt is something that puts me in the best mood ever.

16 hours ago, Sairrr said:

Snowpants for your legs and cleats for your boots. And a faceguard/scarf for your mouth, nose and cheeks. I walk at lunchtime every day in this get-up and am usually fine except for my eyes. My colleagues think I'm weird as all hell but I need the exercise and fresh air to clear my mind.

You are all making me very glad I live in Australia.  In the last few days I’ve swum in my BILs pool, paddled on a surf mat 2km down a freshwater river, and swim in this beach.  Coldest it gets here is about 10c (50f).  No freezing eyeballs here!

F69377E6-E796-4695-AEF4-60C0A8B01053.thumb.jpeg.7225e646da5427ed4346ee4e5d2a78e1.jpeg

Room with a winter view... it was so pretty today but I'm really over the snow and cold. It's been a polar vortex winter (so the weather channel claims but I don't understand what they mean).

20180210_152417.jpg

I've lived in MN my whole life and every year in a nearby city there would be a music festival during the spring. It was really funny every year to see the people from down south in hats and coats, when everyone else was in tanks and shorts. 

Josiah (and some of the younger kids) were finally able to make some of their political campaign signs useful! :obscene-tolietclaw:

Political signs not withstanding, It looks like fun. North West Arkansas had freezing rain over night. I am nice and toasty at home. I live in Wahington County, AR. :-)

24 minutes ago, SamuraiKatz said:
57 minutes ago, llg1234 said:
Josiah (and some of the younger kids) were finally able to make some of their political campaign signs useful! :obscene-tolietclaw:

Political signs not withstanding, It looks like fun. North West Arkansas had freezing rain over night. I am nice and toasty at home. I live in Wahington County, AR. :-)

They showed them using those signs on the show once.  I actually thought that was pretty smart to save them and find a use that was fun for them.

3 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:

North West Arkansas had freezing rain over night.

It's actually quite bad there. My cousin's car was totaled by a dumbass driver in the Fayetteville area.

I swear, some time in the future I'm gonna take a week's PTO and go to NWA and see if I can  "spot the Duggars"  in their native habitat. lol  

Which makes me wonder why there aren't any random photos showing on various social media platforms from locals. Is there some sort of unspoken "don't say anything about the Duggars" rule in that area of Arkansas?

It's actually quite bad there. My cousin's car was totaled by a dumbass driver in the Fayetteville area.

I swear, some time in the future I'm gonna take a week's PTO and go to NWA and see if I can  "spot the Duggars"  in their native habitat. lol  

Which makes me wonder why there aren't any random photos showing on various social media platforms from locals. Is there some sort of unspoken "don't say anything about the Duggars" rule in that area of Arkansas?
I am sorry your sister was in one of the accidents last night. I hope the only injuries were to her car.

I used to see them every once in a while at Sam's Club. I don't take pictures. When they lived in the Johnson Road house by the church, I would frequently see Michelle at the Neighborhood Market picking up essentials between Aldi runs. She would frequently have some of the then littles with her Joseph Joy Anna Josiah..by herself. I live out side of Springdale now in the eastern part of the county about 30 minutes from Camp Fort Rock. So sightings are for me these days.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived