IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

Thanks friends. I'm so mad at myself for doing it. I was finally getting over my knee injury and was starting to hike again. I'm being forced to take it easy now. Thanks for the kind words

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@PumaLover speedy recovery from me, too. Breaking anything sucks, leg/foot injuries always seem extra pesky. 

Like I already mentioned,  I don't really pay attention to what others are wearing, but I do like clothes for myself that fit well. It just feels good. :)

22 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Just have to say, this thread provided hours of entertainment while I was waiting in the ER all night with a broken leg. I was dressed appropriately for the ER–stretchy paint-stained pants, a shirt with holes in it, and one Converse shoe while wearing a slipper on the injured foot, LOL.

I was always very awkward with fashion and didn't know how to dress appropriately til I was in my early 20s. I remember wearing Converse and a tie dyed hippie skirt to a wedding in the mid 90s. Not appropriate but I was like 15 or 16. I started dressing nicer and then after my car accident when I gained a bunch of weight, I started dressing back down and most days I can't even be bothered to put on makeup. Course I've also been with my husband for 11+ years so I guess I've kind of let myself go, haha.

Poor thing! Feel better soon!!! :romance-caress:

On 12/19/2017 at 2:35 PM, kachuu said:

Unless there is an invitation someone find that specifies this wedding was black tie affair or other specification or if Joy changed before/after the wedding, we'll never know. Weddings come in all shapes and sizes from court houses to lavish affairs. I don't think all the details are known...

I do have to agree with whoever said it before, your wedding day is a blur. It goes by so quick and you're pushed off to the next thing before your wrap your head over any tiny moment. You just don't have time to critique what other people wear. Other than the bridal party for those professional pictures, what does it matter anyways? Someone made time in their busy life to celebrate your day with you. I think that is awesome & incredible enough rather then acting hoity-toity about what someone else wears. Those are the bridezillas that everyone secretly hopes falls while walking down the aisle :pb_lol:

I completely agree. Unless something really big happens - like a drunken fight breaks out and people are arrested - you probably won’t remember too much about individual guests because there’s so much happening. 

I do remember having to change into a normal bra during dinner because the corset thing under my dress was going to make me pass out. My bra strap just barely showed over the back of the dress - I threw a zip up hoodie (that a friend made me specifically for the wedding) over it for a bit, then basically said, “Screw it! I’m too hot!” and rocked that visible bra strap. My sister - who was six months pregnant with my nephew - rocked her Matron of Honor dress with one or both of her bra straps visible at times. She looked gorgeous regardless and I was just happy she was able to be my MOH. 

Some people would think that’s trashy, but at least I was conscious and my sister was comfortable, amirite? :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I completely agree. Unless something really big happens - like a drunken fight breaks out and people are arrested - you probably won’t remember too much about individual guests because there’s so much happening. 

I do remember having to change into a normal bra during dinner because the corset thing under my dress was going to make me pass out. My bra strap just barely showed over the back of the dress - I threw a zip up hoodie (that a friend made me specifically for the wedding) over it for a bit, then basically said, “Screw it! I’m too hot!” and rocked that visible bra strap. My sister - who was six months pregnant with my nephew - rocked her Matron of Honor dress with one or both of her bra straps visible at times. She looked gorgeous regardless and I was just happy she was able to be my MOH. 

Some people would think that’s trashy, but at least I was conscious and my sister was comfortable, amirite? :pb_lol:

You were the bride. The bride is always right! At least that is what I have learned from reading on weddingforums.

I’d say a visible bra strap is preferable to a passed out bride at any wedding. :)

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Oh God, I remember the torture device corset it made me miserable.  It was so tight, that I couldn't eat, I could only sit ramrod straight and stand up the same way.  I'm sure people who hadn't seen me in years thought "my her posture is so much better than it used to be" I would have taken it off my bra wouldn't have shown in the dress but my boobs would have popped out, I needed the torture device to keep them in check.  Because of my more than ample bosom they had to put gussets in the dress to keep from having to go up to a plus size dress between that and taking it in at the waist hips, shoulders and letting out the bust it was double what the regular dress was and the regular dress only cost $50 a gusset and didn't need any other alterations as it fit perfectly. As soon as I got that damn thing off and out of my dress, and was talking with my new husband. I realized I was STARVING, hadn't eaten all day except for a couple of fun size candy bars my friends mom had on her, I got really light headed doing pictures and almost passed out.  everyone was like AW she's nervous my friend who is a nurse asked me when I ate last I it then occurred to me at the Rehearsal dinner now almost 24 hours ago. As I said thankfully her mom always had candy on her for her grand kids and she gave me a couple pieces that I ate and that got my blood sugar up and running. And got me through until the cake cutting, I did eat a piece of cake then.

Can I say I LOATH that wedding gowns 1 run so small in size so that a woman who wears a size 10/12 in regular clothes will have to go into plus size clothing in bridal. And 2, cup sizes built into a dress only fit up to a C cup. HELLO boobs come in all sizes, if you are custom ordering a size why can't  they just make the cup bigger (or smaller) according to the bride?  And for that matter why can't they order them to the brides measurements in the 1st place to save on altering costs, unless the bride loses or gains weight.

1 minute ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Can I say I LOATH that wedding gowns 1 run so small in size so that a woman who wears a size 10/12 in regular clothes will have to go into plus size clothing in bridal. And 2, cup sizes built into a dress only fit up to a C cup. HELLO boobs come in all sizes, if you are custom ordering a size why can't  they just make the cup bigger (or smaller) according to the bride?  And for that matter why can't they order them to the brides measurements in the 1st place to save on altering costs, unless the bride loses or gains weight.

The running small is actually because they run in the original sizing, and all other cloths have changed sizing.  I'm a size 12 because I make most of my cloths and the patterns use the old sizing.  When I went to buy a suit the clerks did a double take when I asked for a size 12. . .  it was a bit funny just how off the old and new sizes are.

2 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

The running small is actually because they run in the original sizing, and all other cloths have changed sizing.  I'm a size 12 because I make most of my cloths and the patterns use the old sizing.  When I went to buy a suit the clerks did a double take when I asked for a size 12. . .  it was a bit funny just how off the old and new sizes are.

The worst part is that sizing is so inconsistent now. I wear anything from a 2 to an 8, which makes shopping pretty annoying at times! I get that there's going to be variation, but come on. Not four sizes worth of variation, surely.

9 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

What size you end up with also depends on the silhouette you pick. I wear a size 8 in normal clothes and that’s what I ended up with for my wedding dress because it was an A-line. Had I gone with a mermaid or trumpet silhouette I would have needed a bigger size to accommodate my hips and thighs. That was actually a big consideration for me because alterations are pricey - the stupid bustle was around $300 alone. I got good use out of the bustle though because I wore the train up the entire wedding. I didn’t want to waste time having the train bustled during the cocktail hour when I could be stuffing my face with appetizers.*

*No joke. That was my exact reasoning when my mom insisted I wear the train down for the ceremony and photos. My sister almost died laughing at my explanation and high fived me. I didn’t wear a veil for the same reason. I clearly had my priorities straight. :pb_lol:

12 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Oh Rufus. This. So. Much. This.

I am firmly (or jiggly) in the plus size category no matter how you slice the sizing. My boobs are... proportional to the rest of me. When I was trying on wedding dresses, they did not have a long line bra that fit. They only went up to a D cup. This shop sold plus size dresses. There was such a disconnect to me that you could sell a plus size dress (and I have tons of plus size samples) but not the right undergarments. So thankful I was able to find a low back long line bra else where that fit reasonably well and made my dress look as it should have.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:58 AM, JesSky03 said:

@nastyhobbitses you may be surprised by how little you actually care on the day. I know I was...all those little details I didn't even notice the day of because there was just so many people to visit with and I was just focused on having a good time. The whole thing really just flies by- who wants to spend that time being pissed off about what other people are wearing?

I have to admit that 22 years later, I am still p.o.ed that my MIL and SIL basically wore sweatsuit style outfits to my wedding.  Nice sweatsuit style outfits, yes, but sweatsuit style outfits all the same.  To be fair, they pretty much just piss me off anyway, though, so if it had been my own family, I probably wouldn't still remember. 

I had a long time friend who wore light green, jean type pants and a checkered shirt to my church wedding (also her parish church) in 1983...Yep, sometimes you do not forget.

52 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Truth! Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 in the 1945... with a 24 inch waist (according to her Blue Book modeling contract). She was modern size 0-2 at the time. I own dresses in sizes 0-10. It's ridiculous. Factor in being pregnant... no wonder Joy went for something easier. Women's clothing is kind of a hot mess.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:24 PM, llg1234 said:

Today is Austin's 24th birthday

I know this is old news by now, but may I please be allowed to snark on the word "Christ-likeness"?

So I was trying to find this picture of pregnant Joy in a frumper and I was looking in the Duggar Family facebook page. Why is basically every third photo Josie? I thought they had 19 kids???!! I didn't realize it was that bad with the whole precious Josie thing. I bet they sign their Christmas Cards Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and Josie and our 18 other kids (BTW did we tell you we have 19!!1!!!1!!).

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The worst part is that sizing is so inconsistent now. I wear anything from a 2 to an 8, which makes shopping pretty annoying at times! I get that there's going to be variation, but come on. Not four sizes worth of variation, surely.

Vanity sizing makes buying clothes so hard!

In Australian sizes I usually wear an 8, but sometimes have to go down to a 6 or 4 (so in US sizes I usually wear a 4). It is ridiculous. I am NOT an Au 4/US 0 and don’t need to see that number on a tag for vanity’s sake. I would much rather see a consistent number to make things easier. Besides, I’m tall and the smaller size shirts have shorter arms so they end a couple of inches before my wrist ... which looks terrible!

51 minutes ago, Firebird said:

So I was trying to find this picture of pregnant Joy in a frumper and I was looking in the Duggar Family facebook page. Why is basically every third photo Josie? I thought they had 19 kids???!! I didn't realize it was that bad with the whole precious Josie thing. I bet they sign their Christmas Cards Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and Josie and our 18 other kids (BTW did we tell you we have 19!!1!!!1!!).

Because Michelle, Jim Bob = Miracle child.

On 18/12/2017 at 2:08 PM, SportsgalAnnie said:

I'm not going to snark on how someone dresses, I'm just happy if people show up to things.

Especially if it's something I put time and effort into planning. 

Yes! The comfort of my guests is way more important than how they look and I would rather have them there. Whatever. I would support whatever they need to (do/wear/accommodations) make them comfortable relating to their individual needs and tell anyone else that doesn't it like it to fuck off.  Expectations are great but its not the fucking end of the world.

On 19/12/2017 at 6:02 AM, nausicaa said:

I'm guessing most of the posters expressing derision at the thought of being expected to wear appropriate clothing for appropriate occasions are really young (i.e., still in college) where living in yoga pants is still acceptable? Having a real job and an adult life will quickly correct you of this notion. And if it doesn't, I can promise you, you will face some issues because of it. 

No we arent all really young actually and my derision is at the rudeness of expecting a guest to dress just to suit you despite the discomfort it may cause for whatever reason so dont assume thanks but I was raised to be a damn good host by my mother and grandmother who were full of class and one of the biggest pieces of that for us is ensuring YOUR GUESTS ARE COMFORTABLE whatever that may mean/require. if that requires dressing down a little at a more formal event (because she is clean, decent and presentable whether you freaking like the clothes or not) then so be it as long as they are there because thats actually more important than clothes. Be a little more condescending why dont you.... !!!!

On 12/19/2017 at 8:36 AM, SassyPants said:

My approach: dress for venue, occasion and company. A wedding is not a wedding is not a wedding. Getting married in a religious venue?  Respect the traditions and tenets of that faith and faith house. If you're going to work on a farm or climb mountains, wear appropriate clothing and footwear. If it's cold, raining, snowing, wear some protective, outer garment. If you're riding a horse, perhaps pants would be more appropriate, not many people ride side saddle anymore. Outside event in the heat of the hot summer? I'd avoid thigh high boots and a turtleneck. Be respectful to both the audience and the venue-

This is what I do too. Find out what kind of wedding its going to be then dress accordingly. If its formal then formal clothes it is, if its casual then jeans and t-shirts, if its a Halloween wedding find a costume (after screaming with excitement!), if its in a church that requires shoulders covered or head covered, I'll make sure their covered.    

On 12/18/2017 at 2:13 PM, jacduggar said:

Woah. 

First off, why is makeup a requirement for an event? I never wear makeup. I have facial eczema that makeup turns from slightly red bumps to inflamed, scabby yuck spots and I’d just rather not. Pregnancy is brutal to the skin and perhaps Joy is experiencing something similar.

I have to tell you I really don’t care, but the Duggers themselves are the ones who put a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way no matter what’s going on in their day to day lives.

Joy, to her credit? is bucking that image. Good for her!

Duggar threads always make me laugh. Personally, I try to dress appropriately for the occasion. I also try not to judge other people when it comes to clothing, makeup etc. I have a hard enough time worrying about myself. It's not my place to worry or judge any one else. 

Side note: down votes are telling with regards to one's confidence in one's opinions. The more sure you are of your opinion, the less you care about other's. 

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

if its a Halloween wedding find a costume (after screaming with excitement!)

That's it, I'm getting divorced so I can have a do-over.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived