IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Parent law #1031:  your kid's Halloween candy is YOUR Halloween candy. 

I just tell my kids there is a candy tax!!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Parent law #1031:  your kid's Halloween candy is YOUR Halloween candy. 

Okay Jimmy Kimmel:pb_lol:

On 12/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, VBOY9977 said:

It must be hard for Joy to post about her baby bump because every time she does people comment on how huge she is and how it must have been conceived before marriage. It must be really hard to receive those comments bc I’ve always gotten the feeling Joy isn’t the most comfortable in her body and now she probably feels even more self conscious. 

This! I was huge in my pregnancy, we moved and I had a new Dr.,  he had me verify date of my last period many times because of how big I was . I finally told him there was no way I could have conceived before a certain date because my husband was in the service and was overseas, he then questioned if he was really the father, yes I was really pissed at that insinuation.  So I can sympathize with Joy, pregnancy can be hell on short-waisted women.   

42 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Okay Jimmy Kimmel:pb_lol:

Uh... That's SO not OK. Those videos are horrible and cruel.

1 hour ago, iheartjnames said:

This! I was huge in my pregnancy, we moved and I had a new Dr.,  he had me verify date of my last period many times because of how big I was . I finally told him there was no way I could have conceived before a certain date because my husband was in the service and was overseas, he then questioned if he was really the father, yes I was really pissed at that insinuation.  So I can sympathize with Joy, pregnancy can be hell on short-waisted women.   

Your doctor was an asshole, how rude of him.   I too was HUGE, I was measuring 4 weeks larger than I was from about 20 weeks on I had a very defined bump at 12 weeks and I'm a big girl, 5'8" 200 lbs when I conceived.  For some reason my doctor was concerned about my due date when I had my 1st appointment and it confirmed I was 9 weeks and due on Christmas Eve.  later on in the pregnancy I was glad I'd had that u/s other wise no one would believe I was 'only' X months pregnant.  People just assume everyone is lying and believe what they want, no matter what facts are put in front of them. 

3 hours ago, iheartjnames said:

I had something like this happen with me! Although not related to pregnancy. 

I was sent for an emergency smear because of problems with periods being all over the place. The doctor questioned  me about sex and partners for the last 2 years and I told her that I had only had one partner for the last 4 years my boyfriend at the time (now my fiancé). She kept questioning me asking was I sure and I kept insisting that I was. She stepped outside to get the nurse to assist her to do the smear and while I was changing I heard her tell the nurse that I said I only had one sexual partner and the nurse replied ‘that’s what they all say’. I looked at my friend who was there for moral support to see if I had heard wrong but she heard the same thing and was pissed. I was so upset and just wanted to get out of there and cry

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Uh... That's SO not OK. Those videos are horrible and cruel.

What videos?  Do I even want to know? 

I love Tori's ( it was Tori, yeah?) dress and bouquet !!!!  Looks like a beautiful wedding.  

I get that pregnant women don't always have the greatest outfit choices, but I truly hope that is not what Joy wore for the actual wedding. She looks like she just rolled out of bed. A wedding is a special occasion; it should be even more special in these circles. So make a little effort, people.

14 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I get that pregnant women don't always have the greatest outfit choices, but I truly hope that is not what Joy wore for the actual wedding. She looks like she just rolled out of bed. A wedding is a special occasion; it should be even more special in these circles. So make a little effort, people.

In general I do not get why guests dress so casually for these obviously semi-formal fundie weddings. I'm not expecting people to come decked out in Dior Couture or whatever, but this is someone's wedding; you can put on something a little nicer than what you'd wear to the DMV. 

I get that Joy is looking to be as comfy as possible, but I do hope that she dressed up a little bit. Keep the perfectly fine skirt, swap in a solid black long-sleeve top with maybe a cute cardigan over it (or go for a nice loose maxi dress instead), a nice pair of flats or ankle boots, and a touch of dry shampoo for the hair, and voila, she'd look very occasion-appropriate and still be comfortable. 

Came here to post the pic of Joy and say pretty much the same about her outfit :my_biggrin: I'm sure she could have borrowed some fancy maternity clothes from one of her sisters, considering all the pregnancies and weddings happening in their family on a regular basis  (and whatever do they do with all those bridesmaids dresses afterwards?).

But oh well, I have never been pregnant, maybe she really just didn't feel comfortable or well enough to dress up. I also noticed she's wearing a lot less make-up since getting married - maybe it's just not her thing and she was just playing along during the courtship.

For anyone curious, the aforementioned photo:

251431D9-5660-40CD-84A2-0211B6860D71.thumb.png.86326bf0308d55b308a9b97431178873.png

2 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

Came here to post the pic of Joy and say pretty much the same about her outfit :my_biggrin: I'm sure she could have borrowed some fancy maternity clothes from one of her sisters, considering all the pregnancies and weddings happening in their family on a regular basis  (and whatever do they do with all those bridesmaids dresses afterwards?).

But oh well, I have never been pregnant, maybe she really just didn't feel comfortable or well enough to dress up. I also noticed she's wearing a lot less make-up since getting married - maybe it's just not her thing and she was just playing along during the courtship.

There are plenty of options for maternity dresses that are great for weddings. I was supposed to attend an out of state wedding when I was 20 weeks last year and was able to find options easily.

That said, every pregnant woman is different and what one finds comfortable may not necessarily be comfortable for someone else.  Every woman carries differently as well and Joy has a different body type than her sisters, so it’s very possible that their maternity wear may not fit her. I’ll reserve judgement as we don’t know whether Joy wore that to the actual wedding or if she changed into it afterwards.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I have to agree. Jessa is a mom of 2 and always looks presentable. Jill, while she has the sense of style of a grandma - no hate, I do too, bring on the fuzzy sweaters - usually manages to look fine as well (I definitely don't judge her for dressing comfy after her c-sections!). Holy hell, Michelle had like 10 kids under 10, and even she had her hair and makeup done and was well-dressed at events! Yet Joy has zero babies and can't manage to do decent hair/makeup/ANYTHING for a wedding? I don't get it.

I think Joy has that very feminine, curvy, timeless beauty and could be a real stunner. She reminds me of Kate Winslet or Christina Hendricks in that way. But her styling is TERRIBLE, and I can't help but feel that her self-confidence would be so much better if she put in some basic effort.

She looks pretty much like I did during my whole pregnancy. And the year after Miniway was born. Tired and in a skirt with a striped comfortable top. I would have dressed up more for a wedding but maybe she did. It could be a photo taken before she got ready.

I hope she didn't wear that to the wedding, I'm sure comfiness is super important at this stage but a black sweater is just as comfy as a striped sweater, at least.

I din't think she looks that bad, the guests are almost always dressed very casually for these weddings.  This is where I feel badly for Joy, everyone on here said they felt badly for Joy because she didn't get to pick her wedding dress Austin makes her wear dresses etc, then when she picks out her own clothes, she doesn't look good enough.  Her hair looks fine, she is dressed appropriately, her clothes are clean, stain free hole free, and most importantly they fit properly.  Her hair is fine, she isn't a fussy person, she doesn't like to spend a lot of time on her hair and make up or clothes.  That is the real Joy, and everyone is trashing her for being herself, but then do the same when she's dressed up and not looking like herself, she can't win. 

44 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I din't think she looks that bad, the guests are almost always dressed very casually for these weddings.  This is where I feel badly for Joy, everyone on here said they felt badly for Joy because she didn't get to pick her wedding dress Austin makes her wear dresses etc, then when she picks out her own clothes, she doesn't look good enough.  Her hair looks fine, she is dressed appropriately, her clothes are clean, stain free hole free, and most importantly they fit properly.  Her hair is fine, she isn't a fussy person, she doesn't like to spend a lot of time on her hair and make up or clothes.  That is the real Joy, and everyone is trashing her for being herself, but then do the same when she's dressed up and not looking like herself, she can't win. 

QTF.  I think it is so nice that Joy feels comfortable in her skin, sans makeup, sans hairspray. I sometimes feel so ashamed of my acne that I cant go out in public without makeup.  I don't think we should shame women for not "trying harder" when they leave the house.  Yes, it makes sense to dress up for special occasions such as weddings.  However, this isn't the first time I've seen people criticize Joy's down-to-Earth look.

I think she looks fine. And even with horizontal stripes, she doesn't look as HUGE as posts here have led me to believe.

She doesn't look that big in this photo, in terms of her belly.

The outfit is atrocious and totally unacceptable for a wedding. I'm sorry but I wouldn't have even worn that to work on casual Fridays. It looks like she's in a pajama top. There are LOTS of comfortable and cheap options for pregnant women - hell anything from Old Navy would have been 100x better.

Inappropriatness of her outfit aside, why does Joy have to have her hand under her belly in every.damn.picture? I've got news for you Joy...the baby ain't going to fall out! BEC I know, but it strikes me as weird. To each her own I guess, just wasn't my thing to call extra attention to my belly this way when I was preggers.

I just think the stripes are too casual for a wedding... But it is true that these fundie weddings tend to have a wide spectrum of outfits on the guests, from the just-rolled-out-of-bed look to fully dressed up. I feel Joy is in the middle of that spectrum here and not offending any fundie norms. I think her hair and makeup (or maybe lack of makeup, not sure) look perfectly acceptable for any wedding guest. But for a lot of non-fundie weddings I don't think the outfit is formal enough. I just don't understand why some of these people dress so casually for these weddings, in pictures next to the bride and groom or anyone in the wedding party they look weird and out of place. It looks like Joy is an older sister who just finished doing younger sister Carlin's hair and makeup and is ready to send her off to her senior prom while Joy has plans to hang at home or go to the movies.

If a man dressed in an equivalently casual outfit I'd criticize him too. And I'm sure I've read criticism of male fundie wedding attire on here before. I think it goes both ways.

Oh, and Joy just doesn't give a fuck, she phones that shit in. Which is fine if it doesn't bother her if folks dress down for her special events. That would be hypocritical.

I do think that putting zero effort into dressing for the occasion reveals a lack of class. 

I just find it so disrespectful when people come to special events and refuse to look nice. I definitely have friends who have shown up to parties/weddings/graduations/etc looking like they just rolled out of bed, and it bothers me so much. Like you didn't care enough about someone's special day to wake up 30 minutes earlier and take a shower/blow dry your hair/pick a reasonable outfit/etc? Seriously? How hard is it to throw on leggings and a dress? Or a cardigan over a nice top? Or to wash and/or braid your hair? I am not a fashionista and I have no idea how to do complicated hair or makeup, but I would NEVER show up to a friend's wedding in what looks like freaking striped pajamas.

If Joy can dress up for Bible conferences/political conventions (as she clearly can according to her Instagram), she can dress up for her friend's wedding.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It's more that I don't expect her to come to a wedding looking like Gigi Hadid, but this is a longtime family friend's semiformal evening wedding; wearing something a little more put-together is a way of saying "I respect the importance of this event and the effort you have put forth to make it a nice affair". 

It might be that I'm just from a culture where you dress up for weddings, no matter how casual (though don't look over-the-top or out of place for the level of formality); it's a special occasion that calls for a little more ceremony and formality than your average day, so looking a little more done-up is part of that. I just get so flummoxed when I see all these wedding guests at fundie weddings dressed like they're going to run a few errands, not go to a nice wedding. Again, I'm not expecting hot-off-the-runway looks, just some respect for the gravitas of a wedding. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived