IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

My older sister looks nothing like my dad.  He's blond/blue eyed,  my sister has brown hair and eyes, and doesn't resemble him facially at all.  Guess my poor Mom would have had some 'splaining to do.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the only thing my husband contributed to our kids was being tall. All pale skinned gingers, but they're actually half Hispanic and a quarter black! I gave up listing my oldest son as multiracial before he even started kindergarten and never bothered with the younger kids because nobody would believe me.

My youngest son has it the hardest with people thinking he's older. He's academically advanced as well as the average height of a child 3 years older. Combine all of the above with the fact that I don't enforce gender norms in any way, and I get the craziest looks when I try to explain that he's actually a multiracial, 5 year old boy and not an 8 year old SS poster girl. Fuuuun times.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I was also really tall as a kid, like off the charts. Our pediatrician told my mother that my sister and I would both be over 6 feet tall as adults, and according to my mother she used to get people giving her 'looks' when we were out sometimes when I was, say, three, and acted like I was three, but looked more like I was five or six. I was taller than almost all the other kids until I hit my early teens and things started evening out. As an adult I hit 5'8". Tall, but not even close to what my pediatrician predicted (and my sister is about an inch shorter than me). I used to hate being tall and now I love it.

I got lucky. My mom is the only tall person in an otherwise shorter than average family. My dad is very tall, the only one in his average height family. And I am 6,2. I used to feel ridiculously tall but now live near a high school and keep noticing how I am the same height as these 16 years olds and often shorter. I never believed my mom when she told me she was tall for her generation. But now I am not just tall, but 'tall for my generation' too :laughing-rollingyellow:

Ok so I know I am going to get massively 'slapped' for posting this, but here goes.  Perhaps one of the reasons Joy doesn't post as much is because it is getting harder and harder to convince people she is not further in her pregnancy.   Yes, I know we are frowned upon for having this opinion, but I still think there is a possibility, however remote, that the pregnancy is more advanced.  If the Forsyth's remain quiet on IG after the birth, then I will be more convinced they just simply are choosing a more private lifestyle. 

There is something secretive about how they are handling this pregnancy compared to the other kids.  They avoided giving the approximate due date for a really long time.  Very few pictures.  I hope this is all because Joy and Austin want a more private life. 

She looks close to term in the Pedicure picture. 

BTW, if she delivers laterl and it eliminates speculation, I will be the first to admit I was completely wrong.  I don't have ego invested in my occasional questioning of the timeline of this pregnancy. 

I'm short. I get that from my dad along with his eyes, hair and most of his laid back personalty. The rest I look exactly like my mother and inherited her panicking, worrying and obsession with sports hers was football and mine's the Olympics. I'm the shortest person in my family everyone else aside from my dad is really tall. Even my nephew will be taller then me in a couple years and he's a third grader. In the first grade my teacher wanted to hold me back because she thought I was too short for second grade. My mother told her want to do with that idea and it was a very awkward when I got her as my sixth grade teacher. My brother looks exactly like Mom's dad but inherited nearly all of Mom's brother personalty with our mother's head for finance and my dad's love of cars. One of my cousins husband looks exactly like his father. His mother is weirdly upset about it and hates how everyone is always remarking how much father and son look alike and no one will say her son looks like her. At their wedding everyone had to pretend to remark how much her son looks like her (yes her son told us to do that). I'm not sure why it bothers her so much.  She's still married to him so its not as if she's annoyed he looks like her ex.      

21 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm from a tall family and we have lots of stories like that of people assuming kids in my family were a lot older than they really were.

My husband's cousin has a kid that is crazy tall for his age and when he was around 2, I remember his mom saying something about him having a hard time with stairs still. Totally normal for a 2 year old, but I thought he was like 5! Thankfully I'm normal and kept my mouth shut in my confusion.

2 hours ago, twinmama said:

My husband's cousin has a kid that is crazy tall for his age and when he was around 2, I remember his mom saying something about him having a hard time with stairs still. Totally normal for a 2 year old, but I thought he was like 5! Thankfully I'm normal and kept my mouth shut in my confusion.

That was the problem with the person I mention above. Her son acted like a typical 3 year old but he looked like he was older. 

I look like my father, and I actually don't like it, because it makes me look older than I actually am. It hits me sometimes, such as today.

I wish I looked like my mother's side of the family. 

*Musings on my birthday*.

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Happy Birthday!

:occasion-birthday:

I was the smallest kid in my class, I thought that I was fairly average for a woman. I learned in university that I'm pretty short when I blended in with a grade 6 class. I'm still a good 3 and a half inches taller then my mother! :P 

It drives me crazy when people refuse to hand out candy to kids they deem "too old".  Would you rather they were out drinking or vandalizing?  Honestly, let kids do kid things as long as they want to.

Also, as a possible future parent one day, I live in hope that I can get some of that candy for myself when taking my kids around.  I will be so sad if I get denied after all the effort I put into gestating them, picking out a costume, and taking them around.

I'm so curious now we talk about looking more mature than your age because I entered early puberty but I guess cause I trick or treated with my younger looking friends people didn't care? It always hurt that people would not give candy to older looking kids cause it's really just candy in the end.

I look nothing like my mom (which people bring up all the time or some will try to say we have __ similar and me and her are like lol no we don't) but I'm her more outgoing self personality wise. 

My friends and I all trick-or-treated until grade 8. That seemed like a natural cut-off point, the last year of grade school. We never got any crap for being 'too old'. I've heard some people grumble about teenagers trick-or-treating, but I think it's great. If it's 14-year-olds, whatever. If it's 17-year-olds, you know what? I think it's hilarious. If some 6'2" 17-year-old dude isn't too embarrassed to go trick-or-treating I will happily give him candy.

My family's cut off was the end of grade school, but that was 6th grade. In 7th grade and up, I had a friend who invited me to a Halloween party most years. (In high school, the band party was always really great.)

My mom has usually been the one handing out the candy, and I don't think she has ever once refused to give candy to any kid. However, she does complain a bit about teenagers after the door is closed and they're out of earshot.  :pb_lol: 

3 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Happy birthday birthday-twin/nearly-birthday-twin depending on your time zone. 

26 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Happy birthday birthday-twin/nearly-birthday-twin depending on your time zone. 

Thanks. My birthday still has about a half hour before, and I will glad for it. It was a lonely day, so I fell down a couple of rabbit holes here in FJ. 

I've never known anyone to share my birthday. Happy birthday to you too :hug:

Trick or treating for teenagers was commonplace in our neighborhoods, but as a fundraising technique for UNICEF or school programs. Or we’d take around younger children through various after school programs. Sort of like the Buffy Halloween episode, but far less eventful, haha. Our middle school would always have a dance that night, so the kids just hitting puberty/ might get turned away for looking older had that to be excited about! Oh gosh, so glad I’m past the agonizing MS dance phase!

I used to think it was odd that the adults had a map of the neighborhood we lived in, but a chat with my Dad today while chillin in my hospital bed revealed one of the Mums would mark off the sex offender houses/ inappropriate treats from the year before and leave them in everyone’s mailboxes. As an adult currently trying to sell or rent my home that’s super close to the grammar school, I’m still surprised by how many offers we’re having to turn away for people who can’t live within the radius, but also creeped out since they clearly know they’re not allowed to.

Joy and Austin? Good for them not bothering with the pregnancy microscope and focusing on the hard work! I sort of imagine the girls have a savings plan where they put a nickel in a jar every time someone asks/ speculates on the occupation of their uterus. It’d add up quick:)

9 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

as a possible future parent one day, I live in hope that I can get some of that candy for myself when taking my kids around. 

Parent law #1031:  your kid's Halloween candy is YOUR Halloween candy. 

I get approximately 250 Trick or Treaters and some are in high school. No one gets scolded or turned away. Why? Because as a teacher in a school with a large number of free/reduced lunch, I wonder/worry about food insecurity for children. Plus it's kind of rude to judge. If they are under the age of 18 they are still kids in my eyes!

On another note, there is nothing like teaching middle school students. I'm taller than the 6th graders, but by 8th grade I need a stepstool to look at them eye to eye. :my_rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Parent law #1031:  your kid's Halloween candy is YOUR Halloween candy. 

Doesn't that come under the "checking it for safety" disclaimer? At least that's why my parent's always said as they absconded with a Snickers bar or two. :pb_lol:

One of my Hebrew school teachers was my cantor's wife. She is very short under 5 feet. The joke was if you are shorter then her in September by June you were taller then her. 

27 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

"checking it for safety"

I used the "that's not kids' candy - that's ADULT candy" line for the Reese's cups. lol

I'm happy to pass out candy to anyone who rings the bell- provided that they are wearing some sort of costume. Doesn't have to be elaborate- I'm happy with some face paint or some deely boppers-, but no costume definitely means less candy or the candy that I don't like.

I was always the smallest kid in my class so I never got any "aren't you too old for...." comments, but I had friends who did. I know it definitely hurt their feelings. If you're going to pass out candy then you need to be prepared to pass it out. Who wants to spend Hallowe'en night deciding who should be allowed to trick or treat and who shouldn't. Sounds like an unpleasant evening to me.

43 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I used the "that's not kids' candy - that's ADULT candy" line for the Reese's cups. lol

My mom used to tell me that brown M&Ms were coffee flavored

10 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

It drives me crazy when people refuse to hand out candy to kids they deem "too old".  Would you rather they were out drinking or vandalizing?  Honestly, let kids do kid things as long as they want to.

Also, as a possible future parent one day, I live in hope that I can get some of that candy for myself when taking my kids around.  I will be so sad if I get denied after all the effort I put into gestating them, picking out a costume, and taking them around.

If a kid (any age) comes to my house dressed in costume they are going to get candy at Halloween.   Adults may be offered an adult beverage. 

But since I live in a 55+ community I'd hand out individually wrapped prunes. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived