IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

How about this for speculation.....Derrick is so tired of Jill and his marriage, that HE is going into the program and Jill will remain at "home" (TTH?) raising the kids and Derrick will come home on weekends. Or maybe he won't. He will be too busy preaching/learning/scamming. When his time is up, he will gather up Jill and however many kids they will have by then and go open a church. Or conversely, he will stay at the school, again leaving Jill and kids at TTH and he will become an instructor. 

I have quite the imagination. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

He's got a bachelor's....why the hell doesn't he do an MDiv program? What a dumbfuck.

Because most MDiv programs, especially at big-name schools, take actual effort and listening to points of view that may differ from your own. Derick is not about that life.

24 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Usually that means children's ministries. Possibly women's ministries. And maybe music. But music is less likely because music ministers get up on the platform in front of the church. 

Nope...us wimmens are usually front and center in music. Instrumentalists, singers, etc. On the platform. 

2 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Nope...us wimmens are usually front and center in music. Instrumentalists, singers, etc. On the platform. 

See, that's where I'm a little unclear what it means. Per the website, they say: 

Is the Cross Church School of Ministry for women?

Yes! God is calling a generation of women into full-time vocational ministry in many areas of the church – preschool ministry, children’s ministry, girls and student ministry, worship ministry, women’s ministry, and more! If you are a woman called by God, we encourage you to strongly consider the unique one-year residency that is offered only by the Cross Church School of Ministry.

What is the definition of "worship ministry" in this context? Everything else is specifically related to children and/or girls/women, but I'm not sure how broad worship ministry is or what it entails.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Derrick was any higher than a bare pass in any of the courses that made up his BA.

He's never shown an intelligent thought yet, so why would he take a real course from a real place ever again?

5 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

See, that's where I'm a little unclear what it means. Per the website, they say: 

What is the definition of "worship ministry" in this context? Everything else is specifically related to children and/or girls/women, but I'm not sure how broad worship ministry is or what it entails.

worship ministry usually involves all the music in services, for special services, children's choir, etc. Our choir is quite large, about 50 voices. 35 are women. MOST of our instrumentalists are women (keyboards, guitar, flute, etc). Our children's choir director is a woman. She does an incredible job with the children. Our adult choir director is a man, but it has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with ability/desire/gift. Most of the youth leaders are women. I know there's a lot of bad press about the roles of women and men in more conservative churches, but the truth is, it's NOT a big deal. Nobody really gives a crap about it. I'm in the choir, I play guitar and will be auditioning for one of the small groups next month. 

15 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Playing or singing, yes. Being the music leader/minister? Not in any fundagelical church I was in, nor in Christian school. Women/girls could play instruments and sing, but the music minister or formal worship leader that spoke and did the actual leading of worship had to be male. Otherwise, a woman was leading. The school required the girls to be in the back, too. Behind the boys. 

That's why I would guess that women at a church any Duggars would be involved in would not be trained formally for music ministry. 

Obviously, that won't be true everywhere, though. 

Just now, louisa05 said:

Playing or singing, yes. Being the music leader/minister? Not in any fundagelical church I was in, nor in Christian school. Women/girls could play instruments and sing, but the music minister or formal worship leader that spoke and did the actual leading of worship had to be male. Otherwise, a woman was leading. The school required the girls to be in the back, too. Behind the boys. 

That's why I would guess that women at a church any Duggars would be involved in would not be trained formally for music ministry. 

Obviously, that won't be true everywhere, though. 

That's NOT true in ANY conservative, Baptist church I've ever been in. From huge mega SBC churches to our little IFB church here in sin city. Not in the schools either. Things are much more egalitarian than you'd think or believe. Women play a HUGE role in the life of our church, from teaching Sunday school to teaching in the actual school, running after school programs, music, etc. It's not like anyone is ever told "oh, you're just a silly woman, go home and cook"...just no. That's not how it is...Women are never marginalized for the stupid shit like short hair, having a career, on and on...nope. I get that as a wife and mother, that's really where I need(ed) to put the most effort...jobs/careers come and go but family is forever...but, leaving the workforce just because you have a set of boobs is NOT EVER said or even hinted at in the churches we've attended over the years. 

If Ben wanted to get into college ministry, along with Derick, it might sound something like this......

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Nobody really gives a crap about it.

Nobody gave a crap in the churches I attended growing up either. I actually didn't know the problem existed until the Duggars brand of Christian cult came along. 

It is official SBC policy not to allow women pastors in the pulpit. I also have never seen a woman minister of music. I was a member of a SBC church for twelve years. Don't know how I survived that long, the pastor was quite misogynistic and liked the women to be quiet and passive like his wife. It was where the middle class black folks went though, and was more of a social thing for me. It was of marginal spiritual value.

My present church is not any form of Baptist. We have women pastors, elders, deacons, and music leaders. Dressing up is definitely not required. It is of great spiritual value. 

There was an IFB church down the street from our house at one time.  One of our neighbors, a woman, was the pianist.  I'm not sure this church is so fundie anymore though.  They use the NIV in church services now!

Anyone else wonder why he even got the accounting degree if he wanted to just go be a missionary? Just to play Pistol Pee? 

I wonder who's head would explode first witnessing a Female Preacher that can refute every bit of BS this family puts out. 

Derrick, Ben, Jim bob, or Jeremy ?

Anyone else wonder why he even got the accounting degree if he wanted to just go be a missionary? Just to play Pistol Pee? 

He was probably was encourage to go to OKState since he was young. Especially if both parents attend. I wouldn't be surprise is accounting is just what he feel into when he started university. It does appear that he was on the honor roll for his first year at least.

Although with some digging around I got to admit that I'm beyond shock to be Pistol Pete that it had a bare bone requirement of a overall 2.0 GPA (2.25 GPA if you want to travel). At least at my university that low of GPA would have disbarred you from sports & most clubs.

As for Derick & ministry maybe it was not something he thought that he could have done for a degree path. From snooping he appeared like he was on a very secular path up to his father passing.

41 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

An interesting question would be how fundie his dad was. We know Cathy's currently coming across fairly fundie in her social media, but Derick's dad died while he was still a freshman, I think, and he may have had an impact on Derick's decision of major. He certainly did on Derick's decision to be Pistol Pete.

Of course, I may be giving him too much credit, since Cathy *also* went to OSU. I certainly don't know all that much about Derick's dad, so could be way off track. He could have been even more fundie than Cathy, but just also supportive of higher ed in a way that the Duggar-style fundies (potentially now including Derick) aren't.

I have a feeling that Dwreck would’t have gone to collage if he was second generation fundie.  He tried to copy his parents experience, now he’s off doing his own thing.  

57 minutes ago, LovelyLuna said:

I have a feeling that Dwreck would’t have gone to collage if he was second generation fundie.  He tried to copy his parents experience, now he’s off doing his own thing.  

He should have thought of all that before he got married and had two kids.

10 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I wonder who's head would explode first witnessing a Female Preacher that can refute every bit of BS this family puts out. 

Jeremy ?

Jeremy i am totally 1000%  He can't seem to hide his real feelings well.  You can see it in his posture and the way he acts.  And then he will spew something out of his mouth 

7 minutes ago, ljohnson2006 said:

I hope that Jill and Derick encourage their sons to go to public school. It's a longshot, bur one can hope. 

If this happens, I'll eat the contents of my cat's litter box.

They won't. I don't even think they'll encourage their kids to go to OSU, Derick will probably just try to call in a favor to get Israel to be Pistol Pete for a day or something.

*patiently awaits passive aggressive comment from Derick on social media/counting on about wanting his kids to go to college because he reads here*

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived