IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

Disclaimer: I'm REALLY not trying to defend D-wreck at all. 

However: We have no proof (I think) that he didn't go to classes, didn't work hard, got poor grades, did the bare minimum at university, or barely graduated. I would think he actually would have maybe even thrived at college and maybe was the peak in his life. I truly believe the Duggars changed him. I'm not inferring that he didn't already have these beliefs within him, especially when we look at Cathy. I'm just saying the man seemed to have his head screwed on at one point in his life and his now a total mess. What changed? Becoming involved with the cult of JimBoob.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Its a one day a week program that provides housing?  What are you supposed to to the other 6 days?

Work for the church, doing what ever the church needs them to do, print bulletins fold bulletins, clean bathrooms, take out the trash, vacuum. Busy work that they don't have to bother paying people to do.

Yeah, I think it's as simple as Derrick went to college because that's how things were done in his family. It was expected of him. (Same here). Then he fell into a cult and found , hey, marrying a rich girl and having an automatic audience of people that think you're Godly is much easier than going to work and having actual responsibilities. You can live abroad and have other people pay for it. If your donors fall short, tlc or JimBob will cover you. Ironic how reality stars live the furthest from actual realities of life.

I think being in the public eye changed him. Being constantly criticized, mocked, insulted and picked apart would be hard for anyone. I don't think Derick was at all prepared for it, and he does not handle it well at all. Of course, the logical solution would be to step back from the show, request privacy for his family, and live life out of the spotlight. But then he wouldn't have a platform for his, er, evangelism, and of course the $$$ would dry up.

I've known many young, privileged white guys who were surrounded by people (let's face it, mainly women) who from the time they were born acted like they were God's gift to humanity. These are dudes who have been assured all their lives that they're The Best. They're super smart (if not geniuses!), they're wonderful and brilliant, and everything they do is so impressive. They grow up never questioning it. If they ever have to face real criticism it can be an extremely rude awakening. I have no idea if that was Derick's experience, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

"Oxford style learning"? *chokes*

Please, Cross Church, having chats round a table instead of a lecture does not Oxford-style make. 

That's NOT true in ANY conservative, Baptist church I've ever been in. From huge mega SBC churches to our little IFB church here in sin city. Not in the schools either. Things are much more egalitarian than you'd think or believe. Women play a HUGE role in the life of our church, from teaching Sunday school to teaching in the actual school, running after school programs, music, etc. It's not like anyone is ever told "oh, you're just a silly woman, go home and cook"...just no. That's not how it is...Women are never marginalized for the stupid shit like short hair, having a career, on and on...nope. I get that as a wife and mother, that's really where I need(ed) to put the most effort...jobs/careers come and go but family is forever...but, leaving the workforce just because you have a set of boobs is NOT EVER said or even hinted at in the churches we've attended over the years. 

Are there women.music ministers? Youth pastors? Etc....

This program seems intended to train people for actual paid ministries with status of pastor.

In the evangelical churches I have been in, a woman can be on a worship team but a paid worship pastor will be male. The paid youth pastor will be male. A woman might do his exact same job with younger kids but she won't be the children's pastor, she will be something like the "director of children's ministries" and may or may not be paid.

The main fundie church in my hometown has a husband/wife pastor TEAM. They're both licensed (by whatever outfit does this for their denomination/sect) as preachers/pastors. They BOTH preach. They BOTH travel and evangelize. There is a separate music team and a youth team, etc.

Southern Baptists (I was raised smack-dab in the middle of the bible belt) do not recognize women in leadership roles, at least in any SBC that I ever set foot in. Men ONLY. Wimminfolk were allowed to cook for potlucks, teach Sunday School, and handle the clerical duties.

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think being in the public eye changed him. Being constantly criticized, mocked, insulted and picked apart would be hard for anyone. I don't think Derick was at all prepared for it, and he does not handle it well at all. Of course, the logical solution would be to step back from the show, request privacy for his family, and live life out of the spotlight. But then he wouldn't have a platform for his, er, evangelism, and of course the $$$ would dry up.

As Pistol Pete, Derick regularly performed in a stadium that seats 60,000, and with a television audience to boot. He's not a wallflower.

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

As Pistol Pete, Derick regularly performed in a stadium that seats 60,000, and with a television audience to boot. He's not a wallflower.

Of course, but he performed in front of a cheering crowd, essentially anonymous in costume. Yeah, I'm sure he was heckled by some drunken frat boys now and then, but that's absolutely nothing like being torn apart on a regular basis by thousands of people on the internet, gossip magazines, and watching them go after your wife, mother, and even your children as well. There's no way that being Pistol Pete prepared him for that. He clearly cannot handle it, which is normal. But he's prioritizing his misguided 'mission' (as well as money, I'm sure) over the well-being of himself and his family.

5 hours ago, ljohnson2006 said:

I hope that Jill and Derick encourage their sons to go to public school. It's a longshot, bur one can hope. 

Public school? I doubt it. But doesn't Cross Church run a private Christian school? Maybe the boys will be allowed to go there (if the church offers Derick and Jill free tuition).

Mascots have always given me the creeps on a visceral level, I think it's something about not being able to see the face and a run in with Figment at Disney before they started phasing him out for being scary. Well, pretty much what's going on with Derick, still glimpses, but not near as much in your face public insanity.

I hope Derick's mission trips are of the same vein of other mega churches, feel good service to the community, coordinating the kids and less about trying to convert other Christians to their brand of Christianity. Cross Church seems like one of those where kids/ young adults go trips their family has paid for or they've fundraised for. I enjoyed those as a teen, minus the one weird one where a goal was to give each inmate a personal visit a prison in the town we were redoing houses in. That was just weird as fuck and seems even more bizarre now. As in which pastor thought forcing a bunch of teenage girls sit and talk with male inmates was a brilliant idea?

At least they're in Arkansas and it looks like Jill will get a taste of college life. Who knows, maybe since the program doesn't seem too time demanding maybe they chose it so Derick could take classes at the university. I doubt it, but he could be starting a Masters or brushing up on accounting in advance for reapplying to jobs in his field. I can imagine the accounting software might have been updated since he's worked and since they might want to stay near the TTH, he might a day job since I imagine getting a paid pastoral position in the area would be harder to snag.

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

This program seems intended to train people for actual paid ministries with status of pastor.

In the evangelical churches I have been in, a woman can be on a worship team but a paid worship pastor will be male. The paid youth pastor will be male. A woman might do his exact same job with younger kids but she won't be the children's pastor, she will be something like the "director of children's ministries" and may or may not be paid.

I don't have an issue with that. IF one is going to follow the bible, there is no equivocation on leadership roles. That's my opinion and I'm fine with differing ones...to me it's just not a big enough deal to go bonkers over. 

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I don't have an issue with that. IF one is going to follow the bible, there is no equivocation on leadership roles.

But that's not true, is it? I know that parts of Paul are given a lot more weight than other references, but in the Bible, Jesus first revealed himself to his female followers when he rose from the dead, and Paul was writing directly to women who were in leadership roles, eg Phoebe specifically named as a deacon. (I hesitate to cite wikipedia as a reference, but even wiki mentions the female leaders Paul cites by name in documents that are recognised as part of the New Testament)

And re

to me it's just not a big enough deal to go bonkers over. 

I hope I'm completely misinterpreting you, because are you really suggesting it's "bonkers" to think women can hold positions of power in the church?  I really, really hope I've misread you here.

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

But that's not true, is it? I know that parts of Paul are given a lot more weight than other references, but in the Bible, Jesus first revealed himself to his female followers when he rose from the dead, and Paul was writing directly to women who were in leadership roles, eg Phoebe specifically named as a deacon. (I hesitate to cite wikipedia as a reference, but even wiki mentions the female leaders Paul cites by name in documents that are recognised as part of the New Testament)

And re

I hope I'm completely misinterpreting you, because are you really suggesting it's "bonkers" to think women can hold positions of power in the church?  I really, really hope I've misread you here.

No, I'm saying that it's really not enough to get my shorts in a knot. I mean, hell, I designed nuclear propulsion systems...I don't need any other validation. I am fairly conservative theologically which in turn, influences my more liberal political beliefs. There are bigger fish to fry than women being ordained in certain denominations. 

On 8/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, Kjaerringa said:

If Ben wanted to get into college ministry, along with Derick, it might sound something like this......

That was very low key and thus hilarious 

"let's make our summers count......helping starving people with their theology" dead

3 minutes ago, habert said:

That was very low key and thus hilarious 

"let's make our summers count......helping starving people with their theology" dead

"He's gonna be sharing about how God almost used him as a baseball player."

Living near Seattle this is how I imagine all Mars Hills planning sessions sounded like. I am aware of an off shoot branch in Everett that is still functioning (sans Marc Driscoll), and knowing some of the members this seems very accurate. 

13 hours ago, louisa05 said:

That's what I've seen as well. The church I went to for years had a lot of women involved in running it and if you went there without knowing their policy you might think that it's egalitarian, but women aren't actually allowed to have leadership roles over men. They can teach kids and other women and can give talks in front of the whole church, but all actual pastors for mixed-sex adult congregations must be men. Women can be part of the worship team, but the person with the title "worship leader" must be a man.

I will say that Pentecostal churches can be (key word is "can"--plenty of churches aren't this way) more progressive when it comes to women's roles. Women were involved in the movement as preachers even in the 1800's and The Assemblies of God started ordaining women from the denomination's beginning in 1914, well before most Christian churches.

I don't think that Dereck would have been courting Jill if his grades had not been average or above. Even though the Duggars are not bug college fans, JB have a way too high opinion of the value of his daughter to let her be married to someone who barely passed or didn't. 

I love the hand gestures in the Pastor Mark videos

ETA this was recommended by YT - and it made me laugh, thinking of the Duggars

16 hours ago, cascarones said:

I doubt it, but he could be starting a Masters or brushing up on accounting in advance for reapplying to jobs in his field. I can imagine the accounting software might have been updated since he's worked and since they might want to stay near the TTH, he might a day job since I imagine getting a paid pastoral position in the area would be harder to snag.

Maybe he could do accounting for the church. Gotta account for those tuition checks for their bullshit program that costs as much as a decent used car.

On 8/25/2017 at 2:24 AM, Kjaerringa said:

If Ben wanted to get into college ministry, along with Derick, it might sound something like this......

This is hilarious, thanks for posting it!

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

"He's gonna be sharing about how God almost used him as a baseball player."

Jeremy, is that you?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived