IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

I don't get why he's in ministry school when he has already spent years in Nepal and in Central America.... what more is there to learn about that? If it were a masters degree I'd kinda get it but I think it isn't, right?

Ugh. They're so f'n stupid. 

Didn't Cross Church "refuse" to sponsor them in missions before they hooked up with SOS?

Maybe this is their way to become missionaries with a large sponsor? 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a one day a week program so he has plenty of time for other pursuits. I have tried to give these guys the benefit of the doubt but it's getting harder.

14 minutes ago, flycat said:

This is a one day a week program so he has plenty of time for other pursuits. I have tried to give these guys the benefit of the doubt but it's getting harder.

Its a one day a week program that provides housing?  What are you supposed to to the other 6 days?

Just now, Buzzard said:

Its a one day a week program that provides housing?  What are you supposed to to the other 6 days?

Work on your ministry track? They have classes one day a week and other mentoring work on your individual ministry track. 

1 minute ago, flycat said:

Work on your ministry track? They have classes one day a week and other mentoring work on your individual ministry track. 

So, in Derick's case, post shit on twitter?

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

So, in Derick's case, post shit on twitter?

Yes, he is clearly winning hearts and minds through his insightful tweets! #blessed

11 minutes ago, flycat said:

From the Cross Church School of Ministry Website:

The entire curricular component takes place all day, one day a week. The remainder of the week is spent by the students in ministry practice as dictated by their customized ministry track.

Or is Derick "teaching" people about being a missionary? I mean he sucked at it, but maybe he's the example of what not to do.... yes, I'm going to the prayer closet. 

I don't think ANYTHING is free eeeeeeee at that church.  There was a church up the road from us that did intern shit like this every single year. Around the same price,  with no accommodation.  Nothing was free at that church. They had a coffee bar and BariStas that charged Starbucks prices for coffee and muffins during church !!

Any way to make money. Anything to fleece the flock.

27 minutes ago, LouisvilleGirl said:

From the Cross Church School of Ministry Website:

So Dwreck's customized ministry track could actually be "4 hours of preaching on the streets" or something. That's not worth 12K

Administrator to Derick: so Derick what area of Ministry do you think God is leading you and Jill? 

Derick:: Krispy Kreme Pirate Day, and Chikl Fil A, dress like a cow day.

Administrator: so Derick how do you suppose to implement this amongst the heathens? 

Derick: I'll be like Jesus, albeit a bit dirty sir, I can multiply my donuts and chicken strips to the hungry Howlers  and Lost girls.

Administrator: Fine work young man fine work.

My guess is that Dereck's (and maybe Jill's) participation in this year course was one of the requirements for getting the C3 job. Remember he has no US church ministry experience or education. Either that, or he could be one of the lecturers (on mission) or, heaven forbid, a mentor.

The chance that these two are regular students and pay 24000 for the course, I would consider close to zero.

53 minutes ago, flycat said:

$10,000 for 1 day a week of classes that result in no credits? Oh Hell No.

Cross Church's scamming game is strong!

More extended blurbs from the Cross Church School of Ministry FAQs (http://www.crosschurchschool.com/about/faqs/), in spoilers below.

TL;DR: 

1) Apparently the goal is to teach their students (not interns, they specify) how to run a church.

2) They connect their students with realtors for duplexes, houses, and apartments in the area, and expect people to have roommates from the program (not coed).  

3) They want you to fund raise to pay for it.

4) They apparently are partnered with some actual seminaries and colleges (all Southern Baptist/Baptist) to offer college credit to their students.

5) They teach women how to serve as ministers in *specific* kinds of settings. Not convinced that actually means full on church leadership...

6) And while they don't directly help their "graduates" find a ministry job, their "brand" is apparently worth it. Uh huh.

Spoiler

CC3 1.JPG

Spoiler

CC3 4.JPG

Spoiler

CC3 2.JPG

Spoiler

CC3 3.JPG

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

$10,000 for 1 day a week of classes that result in no credits? Oh Hell No.

Derick is not the sharpest tool in the shed. No wonder he applied for this. One day of schooling and Jack shit the rest of the week.

So essentially, they are teaching him how to run or be an administrator of a church. Ahem,  Or his own cult.   Or try to get hired on elsewhere. .....

This type of training program is pretty common in large churches. My town has no seminary, but one of our non-denominational mega churches has a program like this. They train for church ministry or leadership, counseling, etc. A church we used to attended had a youth minister who was a program graduate. Many pastors do not have seminary degrees, so a training certificate from a church based program isn't really a negative, especially if it's from a well known church in the denomination. Programs like this generally rely more on "practical application " rather than "academic excellence." 

I'm also not surprised by the housing options. Often church ministry candidates already have families because of that whole "get married young so you don't burn with lust" thing or are older, often empty nesters who now have free time.

15 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Ahh the plot thickens! What happened to the guest house? And 3 mission trips in that span of one year, one being international. Poor Jill!

Customized Ministry Tracking... Is there an app for that? I'm picturing a system that awards you gold stars for every soul you win for Jesus. Your ministry tracking scores will be forwarded to the Keeper of the Pearly Gates. Those who earn outstanding ministry tracking scores will receive priority access into the Kingdom of Heaven. Top performers get a VIP luncheon with Jesus himself.

He's got a bachelor's....why the hell doesn't he do an MDiv program? What a dumbfuck.

Is it one day a week for a calendar year, or on a 2 semester basis?

Here's my real Q:  will JB be benefiting by eg renting out some of his properties?

(I'm super-jealous, as I want to do some post-graduate education and can't afford it, and here's Derek paying $12,00 a year (or grifting the course to that value) for some bullshit course that won't even give him a recognised qualification.  I wish I was that lucky!)

7 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

So now Dreck is going to be going into a head to head competition with Jeremy.. "who is more successful as a preacher?" 
My money's on Jeremy.

That is my thinking of what's behind this.  We have Jeremy who is a preacher and Ben who is taking ministry classes.  Derick is not one to share spotlight well with others I think and is trying to find a way compete.

4 hours ago, habert said:

This "school" sounds like fraud lmao

Sort of like Trump U

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

He's got a bachelor's....why the hell doesn't he do an MDiv program? What a dumbfuck.

Real work? Nah, that's for suckers...and men with wives who can function as independent adults.

5 hours ago, 12 Hungry Safety Pins said:

"God has told me to drop out" :-P

God has laid it on our hearts that we have all the experience needed to run a church, so we will be leaving the program to allow another student to enter.

Fixed that for you.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Because he needs a study program that frees the maximum amount of time for TLC filiming, gotta get those TV dollars!

3 hours ago, metheglyn said:

5) They teach women how to serve as ministers in *specific* kinds of settings. Not convinced that actually means full on church leadership...

Usually that means children's ministries. Possibly women's ministries. And maybe music. But music is less likely because music ministers get up on the platform in front of the church. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived