IGNORED

Dillards 36: Seating for Family of Four Now

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Scrubbed from the whole interwebs? Impressive! 

Dunno. I've never tried to scrub anything. Just a guess.

7 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

It appears they are having a dominos pizza date in their car.

IMG_5309.PNG

Her her her - I'm on the tablet this morning, so only got the picture portion in the frame and was thinking "Wow, @BirthingGodsWarriors is really good at pizza to know that's domino's." ...then I scrolled down. Clearly more tea is needed.

7 hours ago, bananabread said:

I'm glad Jill seems to be doing okay! Sad she didn't get a better date night. Step it up, D-wreck!

Perhaps it's press/people avoidance? The in the car bit, not the Instagram bit.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I've used it like that a few times since welcoming Velocibaby - including tonight when we went to dinner with her at an actual restaurant for the first time (she was a total rockstar. She smiled really big for the servers and kept tracking plates of food moving around the room.)

Way to go velocibaby!

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

"fuck yeah get me a half anchovy half mushroom/sun-dried tomatoes".

That sounds really nice!

3 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I'm not sure why there isn't just one SL.

This!

I worked a family show last Christmas. There was a kid signing and we were going great guns ('hi', 'nice to meet you' 'are you having a good time?' 'What's the best bit?') until it came to 'Happy Christmas <little boy's name sign>'. Turns out if you sign that in BSL, it comes out 'I have 2 pets at home' in ISL.

2 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

I have an invisible illness and mental health disabilities.  “you don’t look disabled/ you look normal” is the bane of my existence.  My therapist has me responding ‘its complicated’.  I’m still struggling with oversharing but I’m getting better.  I’m on a list for a service dog, I know the comments will get worse or change, but at least I’ll have the dog.  People make me so angry and then I can’t even deal with them properly.  It can be a cruel world.  Giant hugs (if you accept them) too all my fellow sufferers.  

I can’t fault them for the in the car Pizza date.  They might of had the kids in the back seat and they have 2 under 3.  I wouldn’t be posting it on social media though if I were them.  

If it gives you anything to hang onto, there's also a very subtle thing that happens when your partnership is really getting into its stride: there's a comfort from never having to be on your own facing those things down. It's weird to try to explain, but sometimes just your canine partner's existence can be like armour. You're gonna be grand. ;)

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Youngest Wolfie is on the very high functioning end of the spectrum and sensory processing. Oldest Wolfie has always been closest to him besides me and has found great ways to avoid meltdowns. There's a program at her high school that pairs mainstream students as helpers with self-contained rooms (some are ASD, some have CP, etc) and she volunteered during her study hall all last year, helping teach the kids cooking and life skills. She didn't even think twice when one of the kids attacked her after she changed her hair color, she kept with it. She became such an integral part of the class that she'll have an independent study for dual enrollment credit in there this year as a senior. She has this way of understanding the kids, of reaching beyond the barriers and they connect with her. She cried when they gave her a present at the end of last year, a picture frame with all their names signed. 

I tell you guys this so you know there are caring, kind, people out there who see beyond the disability to the heart and soul beneath.  And I hope everyone can find that kind of person.

She sounds like she's maturing into a wonderful woman!

I've seen seating at several Dominoes in my area so there must be people that eat in but somehow I've never seen them ...

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

Her her her - I'm on the tablet this morning, so only got the picture portion in the frame and was thinking "Wow, @BirthingGodsWarriors is really good at pizza to know that's domino's." ...then I scrolled down. Clearly more tea is needed.

I feel like a horrible person/Italian but I know chain pizza places by sight. 

PS  I love love love my local pizzeria but they are closed on sundays and so papa johns is my second in line. I hate dominos after they revamped their pizzas in the aughts. The other major chain in the US is Pizza Hut which gives me an instant sinus infection if I eat their food. 

I think Jill looks fresh and healthy.

I'd do what they are doing. Just last night I was discussing our holiday with my husband and what we were going to do each day and he mentioned "car picnic". We just sit there, natter and watch the world go by - usually somewhere scenic. It's great for Jill if she's got babies in the back to get to sleep and who doesn't love a bit of greasy pizza, especially if you're not feeling 100%.

13 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

ROI. Made me sick every time I saw it. At least it was only a short campaign.

Sorry, to me ROI is return on investment, and when I googled no location with these initials came up. So where is this again?!Thanks.

9 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

I feel like a horrible person/Italian but I know chain pizza places by sight. 

It's not a horrible person thing. It's a skill (esp if you're around folks who need to know exactly what they're eating. ;)

Just now, SilverBeach said:

Sorry, to me ROI is return on investment, and when I googled no location with these initials came up. So where is this again?!Thanks.

Oh gees I'm an eejit! Sorry, of course it would. Rep. of Ireland.

11 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Took me a bit of figuring out myself, but I've landed on Republic of Ireland.

14 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Turkey pepperoni is a thing, I have purchased it myself. The Duggars are still silly though.

Ooo intriguing. What does it taste like?

21 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Turkey pepperoni is a thing, I have purchased it myself. The Duggars are still silly though.

Yep, but I haven't seen it at Domino's or other chain type pizza places. 

22 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Well, yeah. But it's not exactly a thing that you get when you buy a pizza from a random place in Manhattan or when you order it from Domino's.
ETA: Jinx @nvmbr02 :D

25 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Took me a bit of figuring out myself, but I've landed on Republic of Ireland.

Yeah I assume Madeitout means the Republic of Ireland, as I think she has mentioned being in the north of Ireland/Northern Ireland before. 

I am really curious to learn more about this Better Dead than Disabled campaign, as it has clearly flown under my radar, and I have a few wheelchair activist friends who would definitely be interested to learn more about it. Too bad I can't find a single thing about it online. 

I have to say, this #MandyWilliams sounds like my kind of friend. :) 

A Dominos pizza voucher is a bloody genius gift for people who have just had a baby :pizza:

• Blahblah featured this topic

Just a reminder to please snip quotes to just the portion you are referring to, or tag people using @username instead of quoting posts every time. We need to be kind to readers on mobiles.

@MadeItOut That campaign was in the Republic? That's shocking. I'm surprised I didn't hear about it; we usually get a great deal of the Republics news since I'm in a border county/city

I wonder if Jill is having a hard time walking? Can something happen to your legs after an epidural? I agree with the other posters that perhaps she didn't want to visit with friends on their 'date night'. But something happened with her legs that affect her walking is one of my theories. 

7 hours ago, Beermeet said:

@PennySycamore. TY and love to you and your sweet grandbabies.  Life is something else huh?

I want to learn ASL.  Actually,  I feel strongly about it being taught globally.  I'm not sure why there isn't just one SL. I don't know enough about it.   We could all communicate in person or video that way!  No matter where one is at.  Sometimes,  I get a tad conspiratorial about it. 

Sign language is like any other language. Speakers of non-sign languages don't all speak just English or Arabic or French. And while yes, it's good to have lingua francas so people who don't speak the same first language can communicate, different languages are infused with cultural characteristics, heritage, poetry, allusions, and all sorts of intangible cultural relics. Losing those would be a true shame. You wouldn't tell Korean or Basque or Maori speakers that we all have to speak one language (invariably English) now so it's more convenient for you. Why should/would sign languages be any different?

And actually, a lot of non-ASL sign languages have really interesting histories. Nicaraguan Sign Language was basically created from whole cloth by students at a school for deaf children (where they were being taught to speak, not sign), cobbled together from signs they used at home with their families, into a full-fledged language with a distinct grammar and syntax. Linguists still go to Nicaragua to study it and its origins. Also, American Sign Language's grammar is totally different from English (though there is EOS - English-Ordered Sign); I don't know how to sign it, but from what I've heard from friends who sign, it's actually grammatically/syntactically closer to Japanese.

7 hours ago, Voluminous Skirts said:

Assuming the picture is recent, I'm very glad to see Jill is well enough to get out of bed, whether she's still at the hospital or at home now. We didn't have evidence of that until now! So that rules out some scary possibilities.

Still, it doesn't mean she's recovering easily. Their earlier uncharacteristic silence still makes me think malpractice lawsuit, or at the very least, PPD.

It's been mentioned many, many times already - but their social media silence is not uncharacteristic for them. They've been much more private and quiet on social media since having Izzy and moving to SCA. Now part of that is likely due to unreliable internet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also a reaction to the vast amounts of negative attention they were getting (some deserved and some undeserved.) 

That, plus they have a toddler to wrangle this time. They're not going to have as much time to post online with a toddler who seems to be very active and rowdy.

@nastyhobbitses yes! Like the sign for January in Finnish SL; the Finnish word for January is talvikuu (winter month), so the sign is winter (= making a snowball with your hands, because unlike e.g. Australia we have cold winters) + month. That would not make sense in another language ;) 

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

I wonder if Jill is having a hard time walking? Can something happen to your legs after an epidural? I agree with the other posters that perhaps she didn't want to visit with friends on their 'date night'. But something happened with her legs that affect her walking is one of my theories. 

I don't doubt that some mothers may experience medical problems stemming from issues with their births at all (including the possibility that an epidural is the cause.) I do think it's really a stretch to theorize she's having trouble walking simply because we haven't seen her walking yet though. C-sections are major surgery that cuts through some pretty important muscles. If she is having trouble standing or walking then I think it's most likely due to her body trying to heal from the incision and surgery.

2 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

I have to say, this #MandyWilliams sounds like my kind of friend. :) 

A Dominos pizza voucher is a bloody genius gift for people who have just had a baby :pizza:

I think so, too.

As well, speaking as a person who had many children, getting out at first was never easy, but welcome, and if she's been stuck in the house, and it's a nice day, sitting in the car with the windows down and the kids strapped in the back is gonna trump the living room.

7 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Youngest Wolfie is on the very high functioning end of the spectrum and sensory processing.

I imagine if I were younger, I'd have been given this label. People never knew what to do with me, because I seemed so "normal" except when I wasn't, quite. They had no idea what was actually going on inside here. Having kids was the best way for me to begin understanding how to better handle certain situations, how to express...internal freakouts, and needing to focus on them worked like adrenaline, not sure how to put that. But now that I'm older and they're nearly all independent, life is challenging me a little more. I can choose to rarely wear sleeves or socks or shoes, and avoid ever standing in line, and lots of litttle things, but I do not have myself all together these days and probably should leave the house more often.

I don't like to discuss this, but someone mentioned "stimming," which I only heard of a couple years ago. I have rocked back and forth all my life, only worked to make it subtle as an adult. I am here with my son's kitten while he's out of town, and I am not a pet person, she's taxing my energy with her desire to play with drapes, plants, and my face, and I realized I was doing it as I was reading the posts here.

Okay, no more me. Classes like that sound great.

57 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, American Sign Language's grammar is totally different from English (though there is EOS - English-Ordered Sign); I don't know how to sign it, but from what I've heard from friends who sign, it's actually grammatically/syntactically closer to Japanese.

Not sure about EOS, but ASL is closest related to French Sign Language since the founders of ASL went there to study signing. There's also technically a Universal Sign Language, but not a lot of people use it. I think I remember hearing the only people who really bother to learn and use it are people with global jobs.

• Destiny locked and unfeatured this topic

Archived