Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I'm wondering how in the hello kitty they can afford to buy a 4 bedroom brick house on one income??????

Break the fourth wall. That's a two income family, and Jinger's the one really bringing home the bacon. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Break the fourth wall. That's a two income family, and Jinger's the one really bringing home the bacon. 

break the fifth wall.  Joy and Austin are so boring it was hard to watch them. 

I thought they weren't supposed to act like they wanted the guy because if Joy wrote her name everywhere that is obvious. 

can someone take it for the team and re watch Jinger's wedding and post screen caps of everytime Joy was looking at Austin. 

Jessa talked so much that no one ever got to say anything else and Daphne Oz is not entertaining at all.  She is barely watchable on her own show. 

I am disgusted JB and Michelle get screen time next week. 

38 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

If you haven't seen it yet, the Season 3 promo is up. And yep, wedding planning/prep for Joy and Austin, the courtship proposal for Joe and Kendra, Jill, Derrick, and Israel returning to El Salvador, a visit to Texas, etc. https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/videos/sneak-peek-of-counting-on-season-three 

How is this a new season? It all already happened!

Jessa said in the video that Sam was born that day. It makes it a little less weird that Jessa was doing this right after it happened instead of more recently. Im still hoping for an update soon. 

But this freaking thing was AWFUL! I kept having to pause it to recover from second hand embarassment and find the will to keep going. Annoying host, Jessa talking too much (i think she worries Ben or someone else will say something embarrassing). BUT! Ive picked out three positive things! 

1. Damn Ben has some serious leg muscles! So, he has that going for him. 

2. Jeremys reaction when they were talking about tator tot casserole. I get the feeling him and Jinger have had quite a few private laughs together about the frumper days and some of the family members

3. I liked Jana showing a little sass and speaking up for herself a bit, also calling out Joys ridiculous name writing thing was the only actual funny moment so i liked Jana

Jana sass is becoming my new favorite thing on the show, cept for my fundy boyfriend, John David... I just seriously wish that they would do new stuff. I would love to see Jana do something that didnt involve her sisters or brothers, Just to be out and have a life. I'd love to watch Jinger and Jeremy just be themselves, in pants and bermuedas,  living their life naturally, without having to keep to that stupid Duggar brand.  I'd love to see Joy and Austin try living off grid for a year or whatever it is that they are into. Just something different. FFS Something, anything. Can't Jessa open a cute modest fashion store or blog or whatever. Anything.  Seriously, anything.

3 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I'm wondering how in the hello kitty they can afford to buy a 4 bedroom brick house on one income??????

My thoughts.  Did he save up money from his athletic days?  Did JB finally release some money from his millions for the house?How much did they have to put down and what are the notes? (Silly question, they purchase outright so there is no debt.)

I noticed Ben's leg muscles too.  I also noticed he didn't say much at all. I think he is just choosing not to say much because he is learning to be very careful with his words. As with Jeremy.  In spite of being on this ridiculously boring show they have to maintain a composure that cannot be picked apart. Although we may not like their stances on certain subjects I think they are really trying to maintain a demeanor that doesn't malign the gospel. Jeremy is a pastor and Ben wants to be one.  Personally I think being on the show defeats that whole purpose because it exposes ego, and easy money.  

Sometimes Ben looks so bored with Jessa's talking...you can almost read his thoughts to tell her to shut up. 

As far as the birth control thing. Jeremy's  mentor pastor condones certain methods of birth control. He did a sermon on it and I was curious to see what he had to say in light of Duggar rules. 

I was pretty positive after that that the Vuolo's would be practicing some sort of birth control  Which it appears to be. They conveniently skirt around baby talk, as much as the family seems intent on pushing the matter.  Jinger was clearly saying  there was a bedroom for them, an office, a guest bedroom and a room full of boxes and furniture........ HINT HINT JANA and the rest of you , I think those boxes are going to be there for a long time yet. 

It seems this weird timeline format of beginning a season with a wedding, and then not showing the wedding prep until the following season is a thing on this show. It's strange, redundant, and asinine. I'm guessing next season will begin with either Samuelito's birth, or Joy's wedding (AGAIN) because the JoKen proposal happened there.

No Anna in the after show? At least one of the speshul guests isn't Joshley.

6 hours ago, SayWhat said:

JD seems to have found his niche, flying a ten seater plane is impressive.  JD can come across as not very bright, but perhaps there is something hidden underneath that we do not see. Josiah channels Joshley. JD, Ben & Joe seem very sincere; still want to know what Ben does to support two kids and a wife.  

The flying stuff honestly has me a little confused. Clearly JD has an aptitude and loves it (look at the hours he pulls sometimes).

What I don't get is how it came to be from a home situation with such restrictive and controlling parents? After all, there are what, a handful of different theories how a plane even stays in the air that even top physicists row over, and if you can get past that, then there are critical thinking and forward planning skills that have to be acquired (which presumably make for a less easily controlled individual), to say nothing over potentially life/death decision making.

It just seems such an unlikely choice for the parents to have supported him in that career path (likewise his police career).

That said, both JD and Jana both seem to have fairly distinct and different thinking processes to the other kids. Perhaps this is where the 'difficult' Michelle said of Jana comes from? Perhaps setting JD down this route was their way of reining him in too?

Definitely had more "real" Jana in this episode than all season put together. LOVED it! Now if she could get out of the tth and go do something.

I like that they had Jana and Jessa sitting so far apart. It makes me wonder if there is any lingering animosity there. All i can think about is that toy music box story every time i see them together!

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

a 4 bedroom brick house on one income??????

The brick thing:  most American houses (especially those built in the past 70-80 years) are simply brick veneer over wood studs/sheathing.

My current house is not brick veneer, but solid brick (build in the late 1890s). 

All that said, brick veneer houses cost roughly the same amount as houses with siding. Many newer houses with brick veneer only have brick on the front, with siding on the sides/back. My Brit friends are always impressed with a "brick house" because things are different in the UK, where brick-built homes are much more expensive than stick-built. 

7 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Jana sass is becoming my new favorite thing on the show, cept for my fundy boyfriend, John David... I just seriously wish that they would do new stuff. 

I agree. I'd be happy if they would just show Jana planning the garden or turning the tattoo parlor into a home decorating shop or something (make all those trips to Waco pay off) or JD prepping a plane or showing all the books he had to study. Something, anything other than weddings and babies being the highlight.

I watched this. The host lady reminded me of Rachel Blanchard in Clueless days. Very, very California. But also unctuous and...a bit much to take in.

I liked learning they all hate tater tot casserole now, and also recognize it's not good for you. I also like seeing bits of who they really are beneath the weird façade. It wasn't very enjoyable to watch, but I was reading comments on the latest episode of Twin Peaks while it was on.

I wonder if we don't see Anna because they are making a passive aggressive statement that if Josh can't be on the show neither can Anna. 

1 minute ago, JMO said:

I wonder if we don't see Anna because they are making a passive aggressive statement that if Josh can't be on the show neither can Anna. 

We see bits and pieces of Anna. We saw her when they were doing the consignment sale. I think that they are careful how they bring her in because she is the wife of Joshley. They have to be careful to make sure that he is forgotten. I do wish that there was more Anna. Mostly because I want to see how she's doing, she has seemed sad in the clips that we have seen. Not so much the sale but where she and Jill took the kids to a play place.

Anna did seem sad in the clips. I wonder if having Josh back is not what she thought is was going to be. Maybe she thought he was going to be more helpful and he is not. She probably realizing she's about to have 5 kids and a husband who does not do much. 

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

It seems this weird timeline format of beginning a season with a wedding, and then not showing the wedding prep until the following season is a thing on this show. It's strange, redundant, and asinine. I'm guessing next season will begin with either Samuelito's birth, or Joy's wedding (AGAIN) because the JoKen proposal happened there.

Depending on when JoKen get married, I wouldn't be surprised if they showed their wedding as the premiere and then go back in time to the planning of Joy's wedding. We would get to see the JoeKen wedding episode before the episode where he asks her to court.

The TLC timeline crap is really starting to get muddled.

Whenever I think of jessa and jinger I have this image in my head. (By the relationship)

151111_BB_P-Patty-Marcie.jpg.CROP.promo-

Jessa and jinger have always seemed to have a boss-to-subordinate relationship than Partner to partner. Just as when jessa changed jana's decoration without asking her first.
Now jinger can be her and has found a man with motivations (better or worse) that has given her the independence she never had.
On the other hand, jessa has an aggressive passive relationship with his partner, for example, when jessa forbade people to call hank and ben did not see it wrong but she had the last word. Jessa wants to continue living her life as always close to her friends and family and ben's passivity does not help that jessa can change.

I laughed when Oz made the gag reflex and comment about the TTC and tuna BBQ sandwiches. It was rude but the look on Jana's face was priceless. Not amused.

I think, IMHO, that Jinger is rather glad that Jessa isn't living close by.  The tension between Jessa and Jeremy would be strong and Jinger would be stuck in the middle. Maybe she never realized how much of an influence Jessa was. I'm projecting here but I had a friend rather like Jessa. I never even noticed, until my uncle pointed it out one day, how much of  my conversation started with , " and B. says". He turned to me and asked who B. was and why did she have so much to say?  I was so accustomed to it that it came as bit of a shock . I thought about it and my uncle was correct.  All my opinions, thoughts, and even books came from B.

B. wasn't mean or nasty but because she was so damn smart, I figured she knew everything. So now I wonder since there is space between the 2 women, if Jessa isn't feeling lost and confused and Jinger is feeling a bit relieved. YMMV.

It must seem strange never to bring up Josh, Anna and the kids or perhaps not. 

I am guessing the dynamic again (because i again don't have siblings) between Jessa and Jinger is now different because as parents Michelle and JB ingrained everyone else is the enemy.  Close friends were just an attachment.    And I think it leads Jessa in a strict way to the point she sees Jeremy as the enemy even though she doesn't want to.  It's in her to be the boss and someone else is now bossing around the person she pretends is her role model.  The reason I think Jessa considers Jinger to be her role model is because Jessa can't be the type of person Jinger is because Jessa has always been the controller and the protector whereas Jinger clearly uses her personality to oppose her sister and her husband. It was evident last night with the body language. She will take Jeremy's side because she is supposed to and cower towards Jessa just because that is the role they set up. 

12 minutes ago, albanuadh_1 said:

It must seem strange never to bring up Josh, Anna and the kids or perhaps not. 

Sorry not sorry but I'll give up seeing Anna & babies if that means absolutely no Josh. She clearly is standing by her man, kudos to her for being that strong and (hopefully) making that decision for herself. And those babies are, arguably, greatly pitied at this point. But if we can't have one with out the other, i'd rather not have any of them. Any shred of Josh is downplaying his actions. Society has not forgiven Josh, and probably never will.

Furthermore, social stigma of touching children in any capacity will never be excused. I can't find any example a man was publicly accepted back into social good-graciousness after he touched a kid. IMO, he'll never come back and he'll be the end-all to this family's limelight. The contents of the show are very repetitive: courting,engagement,wedding,babies. People are already getting sick with the constant replays of things that happened (and shared on social media) months ago. 

I would like to think that Jana would be able to catapult into something bigger like Candace Cameron Bure who can capitalize on being religious in the public eye and also in a way that doesn't feel preachy. But only if she moves out and find life outside the tth. That would be interesting, an honest documentary-style surviving-on-her-own show. Perhaps the only thing interesting is that she hasn't gone through the motion of courtshit. But Jessa has figured out how to brand herself in a way by capitalizing on social media, no other Duggar - imo - has been able to do it as well.

ugh this all might just be me hangry.

13 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Jeremy didn't participate in the brother-in-law play date with Derick, and now Derick isn't present for the group interview with Jeremy. It seems that TLC doesn't put these two in any segments together. Maybe there is some truth to the rumors that Jeremy is critical of Derick, and there is some tension between them. 

Woah with the speculation bus. Jeremy lives in Laredo, and I doubt it's worth the flight to film a throwaway brother-in-law play date. And Jill and Derick aren't at this interview because she was about to give birth at the time this was filmed. Derick was at Jeremy's golf bachelor party way back when and they've been together countless other times at general family gatherings.

Maybe they don't like each other. Maybe they do. But I highly doubt they can't be in the same room together without tension. First of all, you can't tell that kind of thing from the little snippets we get, especially with Jeremy living in a different state. Second of all, this family is all about keeping sweet. I'm sure they aren't all 100% best friends but they learn to be civil because that's what you do.

13 minutes ago, kachuu said:

She clearly is standing by her man, kudos to her for being that strong and (hopefully) making that decision for herself. And those babies are, arguably, greatly pitied at this point.

I don't see her as strong. She is willingly putting her own flesh-and-blood within a literal arm's reach of a sexual molester. No matter how you spin it, couch it, or wordsmith it - he's a criminal with a history of sexual molestation/abuse.

I see her as a sellout, a coward, and (god forbid something should happen to those children at the hands of their father) a potential accomplice who would be chargeable with a crime.

There is no.way.in.fuck. my child would ever be around a molester, much less live with one.

I know. I know. I've read all the reasons "why" she stayed. But she lost 100% of my respect and understanding when she chose a penis over her own children.

I am not saying I want to see Josh on TV but all the older ones are gathered together and Josh & Co. are never mentioned. Perhaps it is a relief for them not to have him there and not just because of his 'indiscretions' but since he comes across as so pompous.  On the other hand, never to mention your brother and family when all is supposed to be forgiven... 

TLC keeps bringing up Jinger & Jessa but what about Jinger & Joe or Josiah & Joy?  Those dynamics are never mentioned either. Personally, Jessa is such a boss that everyone notices.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived