Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, justoneoftwo said:

WHAT?!?!? unnecessary?  Doesn't the state do any testing?  This is crazy even for them.

The state did do testing but doesn't anymore. Even when it did a lot of parents just ignored it, though.

I do know for sure that the older kids did take the standardized tests, because I took them in the same room as John-David, Jana, and Jill. (I'm Jill's age so Jana and John-David were a grade behind what they normally would have been by age.) I don't think Arkansas required testing until 5th grade, though. (I might be wrong about that--I don't remember precisely.)

My mom also said that she found Michelle's claims exceptionally weird.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, I really hope that isn't true! I have first hand experience in illiteracy and it feels horrible. I remember bursting into tears because my first grade teacher was doing popcorn reading and when it was my turn, I couldn't read it at all. I just looked on the page and looked around at my classmates staring back at me. I felt really embarrassed. It's weird because this happened such a long time ago (I just turned 23) but I vividly remember how I felt. It was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. Luckily, my parents got me extra help and I had to repeat a grade but I eventually was able to read two levels above my grade level. I've been an avid reader since. 

Sorry about the tangent but if Michelle and Jim bob force illiteracy on their children, that is one of the most despicable things that have ever done as parents. To think Michelle won a "Mother of the Year" at some point. Ew.

2 minutes ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Uh, I really hope that isn't true! I have first hand experience in illiteracy and it feels horrible. I remember bursting into tears because my first grade teacher was doing popcorn reading and when it was my turn, I couldn't read it at all. I just looked on the page and looked around at my classmates staring back at me. I felt really embarrassed. It's weird because this happened such a long time ago (I just turned 23) but I vividly remember how I felt. It was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. Luckily, my parents got me extra help and I had to repeat a grade but I eventually was able to read two levels above my grade level. I've been an avid reader since. 

Sorry about the tangent but if Michelle and Jim bob force illiteracy on their children, that is one of the most despicable things that have ever done as parents. To think Michelle won a "Mother of the Year" at some point. Ew.

Aw, that sounds awful. I'm sorry you experienced that!

If this is true it would be a little different for the Duggar kids since their siblings around the same age wouldn't be reading either. And they do teach them to read eventually.

I don't know what they actually do with their kids either; this is just what my mom said that Michelle said, and I don't think Michelle was really teaching most of her kids anyway.

22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Zach courted Sarah Reith briefly. The courtship proposal was filmed for their first show. He looked sweaty and nervous when he asked her and she looked like she wanted to run away

SO MUCH SWEAT....

This was one of the most cringeworthy things I have ever seen from these folks. I think he cried too. And that poor girl wanted the earth to swallow her up. AWFUL.

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Has anyone read Cheaper by the Dozen?  Its a book by kids in a huge family with some interesting undertones about the parents having enough time (they are not religious, but the book starts in the 20s).  Of the 11 children who lived only one had more than 3 children.  Its interesting to see how a highly educated extremely large family worked.   

They were the time and motion people weren't they? Her tenacity ought to be required reading for everyone - awesome stuff.

While I adore Steve Martin's stuff, there are some earlier B/W film versions, one of which stays much nearer the original book.

Bricks are really impractical in earthquake country... nothing like being crushed by a falling chimney or wall.  

Pretty sure Laredo isn't in earthquake country. If that's what you're talking about?

That would be an interesting take on homeschooling to not focus on teaching kids to read until they are almost middle school age.  I have known a few home school families who were just obsessed with making sure their kids were proficient in reading and American History but then wholly ignored Science and Math for the most part.   

I used to love Cheaper By the Dozen, both the book and the original movie. The surgeries in the front parlor, eating endless beans during the summer, bidding on chores , the planned parenthood woman stopping by. Great anecdotes. 

It wouldn't surprise me if many of the older kids didn't learn to read until 10 or 11, Michelle probably decided that was ok once she had more kids than teachable hours in a day. She probably taught the older kids all at once and then had them teach their buddies 5 yrs later. 

Yeah I also wouldn't be surprised if they weren't taught how to read until they were older, partly because we know how shitty of a mom. I agree with @JMO that it would have trickled down to the youngest whenever she felt to teach the older ones. As an avid reader who struggled during my early elementary years I feel for them as well. It would also make sense because I remember there being a picture of Jackson (?) with a book that would have been a few grade levels lower than if he might have been in a public/private school.

I can totally see them not teaching them to read until later. It was probably another "safeguard" they thought was a great plan.  I can totally see a little group of online women thinking this would be a splendid way to preserve their innocence.  You have to preserve that purity of mind and heart before the evils of education take over. 

I'm not completely surprised, I have a friend who homeschools, but since she struggled mightily with math as a child she's "putting it off" until they're older. Her nine year old can count, sort of. I say sort of because it's like the ABCs, a memorized list, but no concept of how the numbers relate to each other or that they can. She's not a lazy person at all and it's a very touchy subject with her, so I'm worried if she has anxiety about it or if she doesn't feel equipped to teach it. It just makes me sad, especially since I think she feels overwhelmed by it and misses work. 

8 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

So I just had dinner with my parents and the conversation turned to the Duggars. My mom especially knew them better than I did and while she didn't like them very much she does't like to gossip. She said today though that Michelle used to talk a lot about how it's unnecessary to teach children to read until they're around 10-11 or so. They don't need it before then and it keeps them from being exposed to things they shouldn't read.

It makes me wonder if things are different now and, if so, if the youngest girls can read yet.

It's sad to think of kids not being able/allowed to read. I would have missed out on so much if I hadn't been able to read as a young child.

The reading thing doesn't surprise me for some of the oldest kids at least. My husband has family that was ATI and for a season, the mother was way into some other home school thing that discouraged reading before age 8. I'll ask my MIL in a few days what the program was. My FIL and his sister both went to the Basic Seminar. They took very different things away.

Edit: The reason for not teaching reading or "discouraging" it had nothing to do with sheltering or to prevent kids from reading early. IIRC, it had something to do with health and eye development. But from what I've read from the Duggar books (I've read them all), they use two different early reading programs now. One I actually used in college (Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons) to help struggling kids/early intervention.

Unrelated to the quote: In regards to staying a virgin. My roommate (female) and I in college both were virgins, We had friend exclaim she hadn't met anyone who was a virgin in college. It can be done and if the Duggar kids keep towing the family line, there is no way any of them are going to have premarital sex. But I do also think most (if not all) of the Duggars really do care about their faith.

3 hours ago, JMO said:

I used to love Cheaper By the Dozen, both the book and the original movie. The surgeries in the front parlor, eating endless beans during the summer, bidding on chores , the planned parenthood woman stopping by. Great anecdotes. 

It wouldn't surprise me if many of the older kids didn't learn to read until 10 or 11, Michelle probably decided that was ok once she had more kids than teachable hours in a day. She probably taught the older kids all at once and then had them teach their buddies 5 yrs later. 

That's a good version too, but there's another, either concurrent or slightly before, that focusses more on the mother after she was widowed. Difficult to say much without ruining it, but it's really good.

1 hour ago, Fluffy14 said:

I can totally see them not teaching them to read until later. It was probably another "safeguard" they thought was a great plan.  I can totally see a little group of online women thinking this would be a splendid way to preserve their innocence.  You have to preserve that purity of mind and heart before the evils of education take over. 

God forbid they read a book! (Outside of the Bible - and you can get a long way on wrote learning with that).

8 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

I don't know if Michelle received any other MOTY b.s., but she was given one by Doug Phillips, who is a tool, so there's that. However, the video of the ridiculous bestowing o' the honor is pretty damn funny. DPIAT has his hands all over her. So much so that Jim Bob puts himself between her and him. 

At one point, Michelle claimed that a lot of her kids had reading disabilities (something about them writing their letters mirrored?)

Wow, I'm a few days behind! So a couple of things:

Cheaper by the Dozen  is a good book. My copy actually fell apart from use! I think the family there did a better job partly just because of the emphasis on education.

The putting off math and science in homeschooling? It seems to depend on software standards, what you can get away with. I know relatives of mine don't teach science because they "don't believe in it." Argh!

I fully believe that the adult children married as virgins, especially with the short engagement periods, but I would be surprised if at least one or two of them hadn't kissed or felt each other up before marriage. Siblings can be bribed or persuaded to look the other way, after all.

I'm putting on my teacher hat for my 2 cents: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh omg this scares me so much :smiley-signs131:

If a child doesn't read by the time they're 8, they're more than likely going to be behind in school the long hall. I used to teach children with disabilities. With new methods and one on one work, you can get a 3 year old to know the whole alphabet. Not teaching a child to read until they're 10/11 is child abuse in my opinion. Don't get me started on 13 year old James just learning the multiplication tables. 

Taking my hat off because I'm still on sabbatical from teaching. 

49 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I fully believe that the adult children married as virgins, especially with the short engagement periods, but I would be surprised if at least one or two of them hadn't kissed or felt each other up before marriage. Siblings can be bribed or persuaded to look the other way, after all.

Yeah, they were definitely all virgins. I do think that Jessa/Ben and Joy/Austin stayed completely pure because of their similar upbringing. Since Derrick and Jeremy were more worldly, and had most likely done things before (especially Jeremy), I wouldn't be surprised if Jill/Derrick and Jinger/Jeremy at least kissed beforehand. 

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm putting on my teacher hat for my 2 cents: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh omg this scares me so much :smiley-signs131:

If a child doesn't read by the time they're 8, they're more than likely going to be behind in school the long hall. I used to teach children with disabilities. With new methods and one on one work, you can get a 3 year old to know the whole alphabet. Not teaching a child to read until they're 10/11 is child abuse in my opinion. Don't get me started on 13 year old James just learning the multiplication tables. 

Taking my hat off because I'm still on sabbatical from teaching. 

If you don't mind my asking, what method do you use? 

I didn't really read until I was 9.  (I could read and sound things out but it was a struggle) At 9 I started reading books meant for high schoolers.  I'm dyslexic, so thats part of it but I do wonder if there are other people like me.  My parents were told not to worry and that I would read when I was ready.  As a new parent I can't imagine how hard that was on them. 

2 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

If you don't mind my asking, what method do you use? 

I didn't really read until I was 9.  (I could read and sound things out but it was a struggle) At 9 I started reading books meant for high schoolers.  I'm dyslexic, so thats part of it but I do wonder if there are other people like me.  My parents were told not to worry and that I would read when I was ready.  As a new parent I can't imagine how hard that was on them. 

I was teaching early intervention, my primary method was ABA. It's the one I believe works the best. It's a lot of repetition and skill building. You start with the smallest thing like 'A'. until the child recognizes it you don't move on. From there you present the sounds it makes, and so on. It's also intense and very demanding because it requires a lot of hours. A lot of teachers also use Montessori. I like some aspects of it but I think it's too child-lead. ABA allows for small skills. a few minutes per task. Lots of positive reinforcement.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being dyslexic. People are good at their own thing. I didn't really read well until I was in high school tbh. I had a language problem and a vocabulary limit. I've always suspected I have dyscalcula. I can't do math. I've tried, just doesn't happen. I can tell you the history of a lot of things but if you ask me to count up the items I'm buying, I need a calculator. 

When asked if they broke any courtship standards did Jeremy and Jinger say anything? Seems like we didn't hear from them. I guess since they claim each couple sets their own standards those two could have just set more "liberal" rules for themselves?

21 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Has anyone read Cheaper by the Dozen?  Its a book by kids in a huge family with some interesting undertones about the parents having enough time (they are not religious, but the book starts in the 20s).  Of the 11 children who lived only one had more than 3 children.  Its interesting to see how a highly educated extremely large family worked.   

Yes, but the parents were engineers who studied efficiency--time/motion. They also were involved in the American Eugenics movement--those most able should have the most children. In all ways the Duggar's opposites.

2 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Yes, but the parents were engineers who studied efficiency--time/motion. They also were involved in the American Eugenics movement--those most able should have the most children. In all ways the Duggar's opposites.

They were involved in Eugenics?  That is super interesting and I didn't know that.  

Yes they were the Duggar opposites in some ways, but also the dad didn't seem to see them as individuals, which is similar.  

Also the Eugenics seems somewhat similar to the quiverfull movement.  The "good" people should have more kids to outnumber the "bad."  

Mostly I'm interested because many people here say you can't possibly raise that many kids in a healthy way, but the Gilbrath's seem to have done a much better job.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived