Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I can do it. Although I think I just did  

Do it! You were really funny!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carm 88 I can do it if you can't! I had fun last time, lol.

12 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Carm 88 I can do it if you can't! I had fun last time, lol.

Haha I think I can manage it but I will let you know if something comes up and I cannot! 

On 7/10/2017 at 9:47 PM, Lizzybet said:

ALL my Irish relatives struggle with the American English 'th'. They CAN do it, but have to, almost, full stop before proceeding.

It's charming!

Have you ever seen that movie "August Rush" and Jonathan Rhys Meyer is talking with his Irish accent?Loved hearing it!

Was watching Bend it Like Beckham with him in it. I could probably spend hours listening to him!

Did the after show already air? It's available on amazon as of this morning.

25 minutes ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Nope, it's on tonight. 

45 minutes ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

well then watch it for us and tell us the deep secrets 

take one for the team 

Daphne Oz is a wild choice....but a fun fact is that she is Jewish! Joy and Austen can discuss Iz-rull with her. wheee!

42 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

I can't believe the show is coming back that soon.

It's super-cheap TV, so I guess it's easy for TLC.  It's, what, 40% recaps (inc recaps of things in the last week!), 40% talking heads, which can be recorded all at once, and 20% filming actual "action".

Hey folks, so I get the season pass from iTunes for Counting On (yes, I know, shame, etc.) and for some reason 'The After Show Part I' popped up when I got home from work today. So I watched it and took notes for you all. I'm putting them behind a spoiler just in case anyone wants to be surprised (lol).

I'm not nearly as good at this as @Buzzard and @Carm_88 but if you can't watch the episode, at least it's something!

Spoiler

They're in a studio, picking out clothes to wear for their interview. The host walks in and introduces herself. Jessa introduces herself as "Jess".

Daphne Oz is a TV host, mother, wife, and loves to cook. She's pregnant with her third.

They're there to chat.

Jinger says it's good to be back with family.

Jessa says Henry is four months. It hasn't been too much of an adjustment going from one to two kids. It's hard when they can't communicate. Evenings when Ben's home are easier. Spurgeon didn't sleep through the night till he was 16 months.

Austin says watching Ben and Jessa with their kids is encouraging. "If they can do it, we can do it, too." (Kind of a backhanded compliment there, lol)

Ben: "If you ever want practice changing diapers we have an endless supply at our house."

Austin: "I'll wait for my kids."

Jinger says she and Jeremy adjusted really well to marriage. They're enjoying being married and each other.

Jinger and Jeremy just bought a new house. They're pretty settled in there. Her family helped decorate. (They show a photo of Jinger and Jeremy in front of their house, it looks nice, some kind of newish grey brick bungaloo/ranch or maybe small 2-story I think - just caught a glimpse)

Daphne Oz asks if there's a nursery. Jinger says they have four bedrooms: master bedroom, Jeremy's study, one is a guest room, the other is full of boxes. Jana says, "But it can be redone." Jinger: "Yeah, it's ready." They're going to come back and do 'part 2' when it's time to set up the nursery. 

What is Jana up to these days? Helping with different renovations and working in the garden.

Joy and Austin have been married 26 or 27 days. It's been a super easy adjustment. They've been travelling the whole time and have just been home two or three days from Switzerland. They were in Switzerland for ten days.

Kendra's going to join them later. They've known the family about ten years. They're getting married probably later this fall, not sure as far as dates.

Jill is "really close" to having second son. (This must have been filmed about a month ago?)

Jessa says they were really excited to find out Jill and Derick were expecting #2 and that it was another boy, now they have all these boys.

John-David's been doing a lot of flight training recently, maintanence on rental properties, volunteering. Josiah is training to keep up with JD. Just got pilot's licence. Josiah says he can't fly the ten-seater, maybe he could touch the distress signal.

They show a video of Austin asking Joy to court. Ben laughs at Austin for saying, "You okay?" Joy says she couldn't believe it because she was interested in him so long. It was amazing and an answer to prayer. Austin says it was their first hug after he asked her to court. Ben turns around and asks if they're holding themselves together back there.

Joy knew Austin was interested before he asked, but only a couple months before. She was shocked because she liked him for four years before but didn't want to show because she didn't know if he'd like her and he was four years older. She says she kept it under wraps, but they all laugh and say, "NO!" She would try to put herself in situations where she would be around him. Joy would write her name on the wall if she knew he was going to be in that room (working on houses). Austin says it took him forever to catch on because he's slow. Joy says, "Just those childish things you do when you have a crush on someone."

Apparently Jana told Austin that Joy liked him.

Austin said it was kind of weird because John David has been his friend and mentor for a while. JD didn't realize he was helping Austin with relationship advice for his sister. JD quips, "He's asking ME for relationship advice, the guy who's never been in one." They all laugh.

JD says Austin's "chock full of wisdom". Jessa asks John if he felt used. He says no, no.

"How does courtship work?" Jessa and John David say everyone is different and everyone makes their own rules.

Daphne asks them if any of them ever broke their courtship rules. It goes to commercial break. OH THE SUSPENSE!!!!

Joseph says they have a lot of accountability and that helps. JD says he hasn't had a chance to break any of his. Ben says there came a point in their relationship where he had to check himself, he wasn't always abiding by the rules, had to go out and talk to God. He sat up late one night and asked the Lord for help to honour God, Jessa, her parents and everyone involved. God was the one who helped him through or else he would've done a lot more things he would've regretted. Jessa says it's a given, if you're pursuing someone for marriage you're extremely attracted to them. That's how they knew it was the time to get married. That's why they do short engagements.

Daphne says she feels like physical intimacy helps get to know someone, asks if they knew the person without it. Jessa says, "Oh yeah, for sure."

John David: most of our friends don't do it this way, we know we're different. We're trying to live our lives with as little regret as possible. He's had friends who've gone from one to the next to the next. It's not necessarily wrong, but there's more regret. Josiah says it's about respect. JD says it's more about what you can give than what you can get.

Joe says he and Kendra have talked about their standards. Didn't hold hands/say I love you till engagement. Didn't want to get too emotionally involved. It was important to her and he was trying to be sensitive to what she thought was appropriate. They set up rules.

They show Jessa coming in and taking over redecorating Jeremy's apartment. They all laugh. Jeremy looks somewhat less amused at his books in the closet, and his Rembrandt painting being pushed around. Jinger shakes her head sadly. Jana's laughing her ass off. Joy looks unimpressed. Ben hopes one day he'll have a library like Jeremy's. Jeremy says the #1 reason they bought the house was to put the books somewhere.

Jessa says Jinger told her different ideas for redecorating - Jessa just assumed she had already told Jeremy. But Jinger let her be the 'bad guy' and pretended not to know what was going on. Jinger smiles and doesn't argue.

Jessa: about every five kids there's one with a 'take charge' personality. Jana, then her, then Joy, Johannah, and some of the guys in there too.

If Jessa and Jeremy disagree, whose side does Jinger take? Jinger says she's usually just quiet and doesn't really care, but of course she takes Jeremy's side.

They play a clip of everyone talking about how sad it is that Jinger is moving away to Laredo. She's the first daughter to move away. (I guess Jill doesn't count)

Jessa looks emotional, Jeremy grins.

Jessa: Jill and Derick moved to Central America but that was a year after the wedding. Jinger left right after her wedding. Jessa REALLY misses Jinger being close by.

Jinger says moving away was difficult because she misses so much of what's going on at home, doesn't get to hear late night talks about who's interested in so-and-so, who's doing what job.

Jessa talks about how Jinger's one of her greatest role models. She does all kinds of good deeds and tries to help everyone (paraphrasing). Jessa struggles in that area but being a wife and a mom helps.

Daphne asks JD and Josiah if they'll be that distraught when Joe leaves the nest. Jana's face:

co_jana.thumb.png.e4846f17237643b0807950c3ad9a634a.png

John: He's not going too far. Just a boy. (Huh?)

COMMERCIAL BREAK!!! SUCH SUSPENSE!!!! (They're teasing that Jana might be courting. lol bullshit)

Clip about the Duggars' love for pickles, Jim Bob's disgusting tuna fish "BBQ" sandwiches. Jessa massacring a sweet potato and accidentally cooking the oven manual. Tater tot casserole. Jessa says, "Sodium overload."

Jessa: "I do not cook. It's bad." She goes on a rant that after they filmed tater tot casserole (13? years ago) EVERYONE thought it was their favourite food. They all groan. Anytime someone came to the house they'd ask for it and they were so sick of it.

They talk about the canned tuna bbq sandwiches. Jessa claims it's really good, "gourmet." They loved it. Way better than lima beans.

Daphne just gagged a little bit.

Clip of Ben and Jessa going to find out the "gender" of their second baby. 

Ben fake gasps at Joy telling Austin.

Jessa says first time around they wanted to keep it a secret from everyone, second time around they wanted to do the same thing, Jana and Joy wanted to come so they said sure but not to tell everyone. Jessa knew they were good at keeping secrets. Jessa just assumed Joy would tell Austin.

Jana asked if she could tell Jill and Derick, Jessa said that was fine because they were going to leave the country anyway. They didn't end up leaving because their return was delayed and Jill was there for the birth.

They talk about how different Duggars try to trick them to tell them the "gender".

Jessa says there are so few surprises in life. If she had the patience she would wait to find out till the kid was born but she doesn't. Ben could probably wait.

Clip of Jinger and Jeremy's joint bachelor-bachelorette party. Jeremy's ridiculous golf outfit. The women are at the TTH making jewellery and talking about the first kiss.

Daphne feels like Jinger and Jeremy had a very successful first kiss. Jeremy says they didn't even talk about it. Jessa says it's such a natural thing, how do you plan it out? Jinger hoped her heels were tall enough or else she'd have to jump.

Joy and Austin went rafting/camping for their bachelor/bachelorette party. It will be on the show. It was a blast, amazing. They had the best time.

COMMERCIAL BREAK!!!

Clip of Jinger's wedding. They all look very serious watching this. They 'awwww' at Jeremy crying. They laugh at Jinger wiping the lipstick off his lips.

As Jinger came down the aisle Jeremy was overwhelmed, she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. He wasn't thinking about long-term commitment or this or that. Just pure joy.

Jinger says the first kiss was amazing, incredible. Felt like it was just them.

Lots of talk about if they coordinated the first kiss and whether they would miss, whether they planned it, blah blah blah. zZzZzZz...

Love was in the air for Joy and Austin at Jinger's wedding. Joy was just waiting for Austin to ask her to court. They were both thinking about their own wedding. Joy and Austin were looking at each other the whole time.

Clip of Jessa in labour. Ben looks sick, doesn't want to watch, Jessa laughs. Jessa says, "It's every bit as bad as it sounds." But the baby is the reward and makes it all worth it.

Daphne says it's the most beautiful and incredible experience to hold that baby the first time it's out of you 'after ten months.' (uh...)

Jessa was extra nervous. Spurgeon's labour seemed to drag on and on and on. She had unrealistic expectations the first time. She was nervous about going through it again. Labour's so intense, it's horrible. Henry's labour was a lot smoother, everything they prayed for, no complications, no extra blood loss, labour 5 1/2 hours.

Ben didn't feel like he was doing anything to help. He felt so helpless. He wants to help the pain stop but he can't do anything. He still looks shaken up.

Jana says it makes her think about it a lot more. She thinks home births are great, she used to be all for it, but now she thinks birth centre would be a nice in-between. She would probably be closer to a hospital birth.

Jinger says when she's pregnant it will be different for sure. Jessa says it's okay to get the epidural, there's no shame in that.

Joy says seeing births terrify her but it's definitely worth it so she's willing to do it.

NEXT WEEK - PART 2:

They ask John how he thinks Austin did on his proposal to his sister. "Not as good as what I'm gonna do!" Austin retorts that John has had a lot more time to plan than he has.

Very special guests: Kendra, Jim Bob and Michelle and Spurgeon and Henry.

Couples Showdown game. Joy says Austin has no hidden talents. Daphne thinks this is hilarious.

"Where is the craziest place you've ever had........................................ bible study?" Jinger makes a classic Jinger face.

7 minutes ago, Lurky said:

It's super-cheap TV, so I guess it's easy for TLC.  It's, what, 40% recaps (inc recaps of things in the last week!), 40% talking heads, which can be recorded all at once, and 20% filming actual "action".

I agree, but doesnt short season+ short break usually = something big(courtship, pregnancy etc) ? They already have Joe and Kendra and Samuel Dillard, that is enough reason to bring it back so soon.

LIterally just typed out a recap but realized singsingsing beat me to it. Haven't had a chance to read over her's but figured I might as well add mine in case either of us missed anything. 

Spoiler

Ok so I'm writing down my initial observations while trying to convince my three year old niece to take a nap. I figure a much more detailed and humorous recap will be written by someone else so here are some bullet points:

Counting On "The After Show Part 1"

The show starts out with the married and unmarried Duggars arriving at a random undisclosed location. They try on wardrobe and meet Daphne Oz. It may be just me, but she is a strange one. The interview felt very awkward. Super annoyingly giggly almost like a teenager behaves around their crush. Idk, maybe I'm just cranky after dealing with my niece. 

In attendance are: Jessa and Ben, JinJer, Jostin, Joseph, Josiah, Jana and JD. No Dillards.

In terms of the timeline, Jessa mentioned Hank was about 4 months old during this filming. Jog also mentioned that she and Austin had returned from their honeymoon three days prior.

Jessa: wasn't really a big adjustment going from 1 to 2 kids. Spurgeon didn't sleep through the night until he was 16 months old. 

Jostin: say they feel encouraged by Ben and Jessa's parenting skills. They've been married for 27 days and had a super easy adjustment to marriage. They've been traveling the majority of their marriage. Spent 10 days in Switzerland. 

Joy says she knew Austin was interested in her a few months before he asked her to court. She was shocked because she had liked him for 4 years before they began courting but didn't want to show him. Because "it was like, I don't know if he's actually gonna like me." 

Joy starts to say that she mainly kept her feelings under wraps, but is interrupted by Jana. Jana says Joy would write her name on walls of rooms if she knew austin was going to be in them. What? It's like she was trying to plant not so subtle subliminal messages in his mind. 

Austin didn't really notice right away. He apparently eventually asked Jana is Joy liked him. He considers JD to be a friend and mentor to him so he went to him for relationship advice without letting on that it was about Joy. JD: "He's asking me for relationship advice? The guy that has never been in one, you know?" 

Blah blah blah rules of courtship blah getting to know you period blah asking to court blah. 

Daphne asks if anyone has every broken any of the courtship rules. Crickets. Ben then admits to struggling with the rules but he talked to God about it and was lol better. He recalled a time where he sat up late asking the lord for help regarding honoring HIM in the relationship, Jessa and her parents.  If it weren't for God, "Probably would have done a lot more things that we really regretted." 

Jessa: "If you're pursuing someone for marriage, you're like extremely attracted to them and so we know that... I mean that's the time to just get hitched."

JD: "Most of our friends don't do it this way. We know that we do it a bit different than other people (but somehow it all works?). But yet we feel that we are trying to live our lives with as little regret as we can." 

JinJer: Adjusted really well to married life. Jinger: "Learning how our lives are to look like at this season." (What?) They just bought a 4 bedroom house! Jeremy has a study/office. 

Jana: Helping with renovations, planting a garden. So far no mention of her dating. 

JD: Lots of flight training, working on rental properties, maintenance, and volunteering. 

Josiah: pretty much the same as JD. 

Joseph: We've known the Caldwells for years, they are our pastor. Prolly Fall wedding but no date set. 

To be honest I kinda spaced out after this. The kid is asleep so that means I get to sleep! I'm pretty sure it was just a rehash of JinJer's wedding, Jostin's courtship and Hank's birth. 

Next time we will get (not so) special guests: Kendra, Jim Bob (holding Spurge) and Michelle (holding Hank). 

Austin, you've been married less than a month, cool it with the "I can't wait to make this 19-year-old squirt out a hundred of my babies" comments! Calmate por favor!

So Ben moving in and being so close to Jessa while courting was hard on him....we knew that... his posts were indicative of that - but it is interesting that he voiced it.  Should be interesting to hear tonight.  But overall Ben was into Jessa so much it must have been so emotional for him at night when he was alone.  I can only imagine the things he did in that room to deal with his emotions.  

Thanks for recapping. 

For some reason I bought the season on Amazon & just watched what "some might call a television show" & it was slightly less boring than cleaning old receipts out of my purse. Fortunately, mid-show my special friend™ showed up with Patron & it was like a mental epidural that allowed me to endure the remainder of the ridiculousness. 

Now I'm off to break numerous courtship rules. 

and the dynamic between Jessa and Jeremy is interesting to say the least.  It's almost like Jessa is a touch jealous of Jeremy.  And the fact that Jinger plays the bad guy or am I reading it wrong.  But just reading what was written clearly Jessa has issues with Jeremy 

3 minutes ago, nst said:

and the dynamic between Jessa and Jeremy is interesting to say the least.  It's almost like Jessa is a touch jealous of Jeremy.  And the fact that Jinger plays the bad guy or am I reading it wrong.  But just reading what was written clearly Jessa has issues with Jeremy 

Isn't Jessa the one who set Jinger up with Jeremy?

Just now, Gillyweed said:

Isn't Jessa the one who set Jinger up with Jeremy?

perhaps she wasn't thinking of hating him then? but the pictures I saw were of Joy, Jinger and Jeremy together. 

I don't get the sense that Jessa has issues with Jeremy (she seemed to really want the match to happen, actually). I think she just really, really misses Jinger. I think she misses Jinger a lot more than Jinger misses her, frankly. Possibly that's because she has two babies now, which can be isolating, lonely and overwhelming, whereas Jinger is still relatively carefree and enjoying her new life.

Is Ben still working for JimBob? Perhaps he should start looking for jobs in Laredo so he and Jessa can move closer to Jinger. 

Clearly Jinger got the memo that she can have a life outside her family and enjoy herself and not miss people where as her protector and sister didn't get that memo and is passive aggressive. 

On 8.7.2017 at 11:32 PM, shiverful said:

I am Norwegian and mr. Shiverful is Icelandic. We both live in Norway and he is a fluent speaker, even though it is his third language (English being his second).

I am trying to learn Icelandic, but it is surprisingly hard. Both Icelandic and Norwegian have common roots, but the grammar is very different. Would be cute to teach our kid Icelandic (if/when we get one), but I don't think it will be easy as I don't speak or understand it.

Where about in Norway?

Jinger gave us a throwback. Looks like Jana in the background turned back on, everyone else is pretty clear.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived