Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If she'd been a fundie, Jesus would have saved her. She was probably an ebil Catholic.

I think I laughed harder than i was supposed to over this comment. (I just finished watching The Keepers on Netflix)

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, albireo said:

Yes! Our version didn't have anything to do with Boston, but it was:

Trot, trot to market

To get a pound of butter

Trot, trot home again

Drop it in the gutter!

ETA: Also "this is the way the ladies/gentlemen/farmers ride!"

@Bethella and @albireo -- I love how there are different versions out there!

Just watched the latest episode now: 

- I am surprised at how much I like Jessa in this season. She seems pretty down to earth compared to how she was on TV before and right after her wedding. Like she's let down her guard or something. 

- I found the clip where Jinger went shopping to be completely staged. Probably paid by TLC. If you're used to going thrift shopping, you don't decide to splurge and go to a regular store only to buy costumes and souvenirs. 

- Neither Jill or Dereck seem very excited to go back to CA. I wonder how long their careers as missionaries will last. 

- After watching Austin and Joy's engagement I can't imagine that he really thought that she would be surprised after he blindfolded her. Wouldn't it be just as nice to "accidentally" stumble upon the campsite by horseback? 

13 minutes ago, shiverful said:

I am surprised at how much I like Jessa in this season. She seems pretty down to earth compared to how she was on TV before and right after her wedding. Like she's let down her guard or something.

I totally agree. I thought she got a little narcissistic for a while there because of the heightened fame / being named sexiest Duggar / Ben's adoration. Now that she's a mom she's probably realized that it's not all about her, which has actually made her much more appealing.

The whole time Jinger is shopping for "Laredo stuff", I couldn't help but think that she was doing this because " I'll send them some Texas stuff  SO THEY WON'T VISIT us...Babe and I want alone time":mrgreen:

How many times have they flown back and forth now (and that was totally first class of some sort--maybe regional--the seats were huge)?

It seems almost as much as I used to do a similar trip (a bit farther-- I was going to/from Costa Rica) frequently. Except that I was only paying for one person and I was paying with money I earned at a job (jobS at that point in my life). At first I was sort of ambivalent to "eh, good for them what can they hurt and it gets them away from The Crazy" about their "missionary work" but now it just seems like one long extended vacation/ very early retirement, and they barely even try to pretend to show actual work being done which is really disappointing.

2 hours ago, shiverful said:

- Neither Jill or Dereck seem very excited to go back to CA. I wonder how long their careers as missionaries will last. 

I agree, Derick looks miserable too. I wonder if they keep going back because he wants to prove something? In the beginning they said it was a short term mission. The post on their blog last month's makes me think their mission is over. Jill was house hunting on a previous episode. I hope that means they will stay in the US. They have a million reasons to stay. 

22 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I was thinking the same thing. Derick is casually all, "we'll get help immediately if needed." IMMEDIATE ISN'T HOURS AWAY, DUMBASS. 

What the shit were they watered down from?? :shock:

Haha. Do some investigating. ;)

On 7/10/2017 at 8:22 PM, Jinder Roles said:

Did Derick basically say he's cutting he's hair so people don't think he's gay? 

Is that what he meant by "not wanting of offend or distract from the message"? 

I"m howling with laughter

I did not understand it as that. I think he meant the Central American population think differently about long hair, not perspective converts. If he meant gays he would not have done it to begin with.

1 hour ago, sansan said:

I did not understand it as that. I think he meant the Central American population think differently about long hair, not perspective converts. If he meant gays he would not have done it to begin with.

I think he meant that too.  It's very odd, considering that Jim Bob clearly doesn't care for long hair on men. Long hair on men is very unusual among fundies and in Arkansas in general. I wonder how Derick thinks it's perceived by them?

My parents went to a Gothard seminar in the 80's and apparently he had a whole thing about how certain styles for men, including long hair and shirts unbuttoned past a certain point, were for homosexuals.

The whole time Jinger is shopping for "Laredo stuff", I couldn't help but think that she was doing this because " I'll send them some Texas stuff  SO THEY WON'T VISIT us...Babe and I want alone time":mrgreen:

I kept thinking OH my goodness she is ALONE! No buddy, no husband, just her enjoying some freedom!

2 hours ago, Paigerin2 said:

I kept thinking OH my goodness she is ALONE! No buddy, no husband, just her enjoying some freedom!

Yes! I loved to hear that she's out and about on her on while Jeremy's working. Must be boring not to have a job (I'm a workaholic myself, haha), but at least she's not just tagging along with Jeremy or sitting at home waiting for him to finish up work.  

Some additional thoughts on the last episode:

I was surprised that they did not show Jostin announcing their engagement to the family. It usually goes like this: The happy couple sweeps through the portals of the TTH holding hands (spoiler alert, everybody!!!), the entire clan, including the married kids, just "happens" to be lounging around the living room and then they go like "We are engaged. y'all", followed by "Congratulationzzzzz" from everybody (and "babieeess" from Michelle).

Also, they didn't show Joseph's courtship proposal. Surely, they will not keep that for next season, since we have already seen the engagement? It all seemed very much patched together last minute to me, somehow they had to introduce Kendra to the show, so they just showed some random pictures of her and Joe and voila, now they will be courtin' :kitty-shifty: 

With the little "new" content they were showing this season again (as in: stuff we didn't already know through social media, pictures etc. months ago) and the main focus of the show being on courtships, engagements, weddings and babies, why not show these moments? 

On 7/12/2017 at 6:57 PM, Dugg@rTime said:

I do!

One of my favourite memories of no2 son as a toddler (around 18 months iirc) is of him sitting in his cot early (always early with him:my_rolleyes:) one morning singing it to himself and giggling helplessly as he tickled himself under the arm. His version usually went straight from "Round and round the garden" to "tickle under there".:my_biggrin:

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream; If you see a crocodile, don't forget to scream. AAAAAARGH"

My son as a toddler used to sit in his cot and sing "Row, row, row, row, row, row, AAAAAARGH!" 

1 hour ago, helenprev said:

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream; If you see a crocodile, don't forget to scream. AAAAAARGH"

My son as a toddler used to sit in his cot and sing "Row, row, row, row, row, row, AAAAAARGH!" 

Semi-unrelated, but I saw this post in the feed at the bottom of the page I was reading, so read back a few pages to see what was happening in this thread and was reminded of when my daughter was maybe 2.5-3 years old.

She loved bah bah black sheep and this was her version:

bah bah black sheep have you any woo?

yes sir, yes sir 3 bags fool

You know, about a year ago we were all bored out of our minds, thinking nothing was ever going to happen in Duggarville besides happy birthday video's and an occasional Izzy/Spurge pic. 

Then Babe came in view and now in just a year or so we had two full courtship/engagement/wedding cycles and one more courtship/engagement, two more pregnancy/ gender reveal/ delivery cycles, and a third baby due any moment with a scandal ridden father, two cycles of comings and goings of the missionary family including house remodellings and teary goodbyes, two/thee lawsuits depending on how you count and potentially thee more pregnancy anouncements before this year is up. 

You would think Counting On must be the most exiting show in the world. :irony:

I also just watched the episode, and while many people have shared their thoughts already, I'm going to share mine too, because I have no real life people that watch this and y'all are stuck with me :pb_biggrin:

-When Israel said "carne please" I thought, "Wow! this kid knows more Spanish than Jill!"

-Even thought Cathy is a hateful bigot, you can tell how much she just absolutely adores Israel, and that's really sweet

-Jinger mentioning the lord blessing her with kids- she started to say whenever we..... I think the rest of that sentence would have been: whenever we have kids, but thought that may indicate some sort of intentional decision making on having kids, so backed up to mention Jeebus (also Jinger's tongue twister showed some true personality...I think if she wasn't raised in this cult she would be an absolute ham of a person)

-When a producer asked Jackson and Jordyn if they missed Jeremy and Jinger after receiving their gifts, Jordyn said "Of course we do! Who wouldn't?" and I thought that was really cute too.

-And honestly, I saw something in Jill that I didn't think I would see and that goes against what I've previously thought. I actually thought she looked ready to go back to CA, and when she got there and saw some familiar faces in the airport, I think she actually looked excited to be "home". It looked like she almost did a little dance :dance: when she walked outside before buckling Israel in the car, she didn't appear as full of dread.

And sorry to keep rambling- but someone recently mentioned they saw the episode on YouTube when Jana and Jill got their wisdom teeth taken out. I went back and watched some of it, and both Michelle and Jana mentioned how Jana is definitely more quiet, and Jill is very talkative, especially when nervous or anxious (which she was in this episode). Maybe it's possible that Jill isn't miserable, but just more subdued as she's gotten older (I want to say matured, but I can't bring myself to use that word and Jill in the same sentence).

On 7/11/2017 at 11:50 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

My grandma used to play that with me when I was little! She was born in Germany. I looked up a translation of the lyrics once and was mildly horrified :pb_lol:

My son's been singing Alouetté in nursery school. He came home and told my husband, "I need to kill alouette!" His dad doesn't speak French and was completely horrified. When I translated the words to the song for him it didn't exactly get better. 

My daughter is seven months old. I read her a few Poe poems when she was three months and I just started reading some of the shorter tales collected by the Grimm Brothers. Oh! And we watched Game of Thrones while I was pregnant with her.

So, basically, my kid is either going to be the coolest person ever or a complete psychopath. :pb_lol:

OK guys, I know that you'll all be devastated, but I'm going to be out of pocket again monday night.  I'll be at a conference and cant guarantee that my hotel will even have TLC, let alone that I'd be there to watch this riveting episode.

Who's gonna pick up my slack?

2 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Does "After the show" mean the show is over?

I think just the season is?

I think they had an 'after show' for one of the earlier seasons too, right? Or was that for the last season of 19K&C?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived