Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I envy those of you with cookie cutter names. You were always able to find your name on random keychains, coffee cups, license plates, tacky souvenirs....

Unfortunately for me, my name was always on the boys key chains, tacky souveniers, etc.  

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

(I want to add the caveat that I don't believe that TLC orchestrates or invents actual major life events for the Duggars, such as courtships. But they most definitely invent trips to the grocery store, even trips across the country, parties, conversations, "drama", etc., as well as liberally editing footage to fit whatever narrative they want. And it's TLC who does it, not the Duggars. The Duggars are merely complicit.)

Thanks for the detailed comment @singsingsing :) I hope my comment didn't come across as me doubting that they would lie etc but rather it was me being bored to tears and not paying full attention so I didn't want to state what I saw as a fact. 

I totally agree with them not forcing their lives in certain directions but as shown repeatedly, they like to edit and invent story lines (like all reality TV). 

I wasn't shocked at their editing but rather so annoyed by how they pretended to be somewhat capable of minding a few kids but in reality still needed a poor J'Slave. Simply more evidence to add to the list of why we should never trust the Duggars and TLC. 

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I envy those of you with cookie cutter names. You were always able to find your name on random keychains, coffee cups, license plates, tacky souvenirs...

Ugh, I wanted just one keychain with my name on it! :( It shall probably never happen. Curse of the unusual names. 

46 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Ugh, I wanted just one keychain with my name on it!  It shall probably never happen. Curse of the unusual names. 

I will admit, that is a nice benefit to having a common name. But always having at least one other person who had my name as I was growing up got old easily. In college, I was even in one class where there were about eight other girls who had my name. It was a larger class, but still...

I have a common name.It's considered "classic".It was common hundreds of years ago,actually longer,well a common name for queens.But it has nine letters,and my parents insisted on my full name,not some shorter version,which is what most people,including Mr Melon call me.So ,I could not always find my name,either on license plates and such.We have a house that we rent.My tenant has the same first name..same spelling,our spelling is common.She was at the courthouse,frustrated.I was waiting to collect rent.She used a four letter word,in her frustration.But she kept spelling our name wrong.She apologized later for using the four letter word.I texted back that I was more offended that she did not spell our name right...THEN she tells me she uses text speak or whatever.And speaking of names my mother and my aunt's names were common,when they were children.My mother told me that there were three other girls in her class with the same name.Gisela.My aunt's full name is Irmgard,but they have always called her Irmi.I asked my father about my mother and aunt's name and he said my grandmother more than likely named them those names because they were popular,at the time.No  idea if they still are.

My uncle is named Harry, after his father. My father, who is older, couldn't say "Harry" for some reason. He called him "Had". 86 years later, Uncle Had is still Uncle Had... to everyone in the family.

6 hours ago, FascinatedAtheist said:

(snip)Anna, Jill and Jessa made a big deal about going shopping with their kids and then Jessa being left alone with 5 young kids. However this seems to be another Duggar lie / TLC edit. If you watch the scenes where Jessa is alone, there is a girl matching Johannah's size and has bare feet. I did not spot her face but when they return to the house Johannah has the exact same top, skirt and bag.

Did anyone else notice this or am I just seeing things?

I didn't notice (I half watch/listen while doing computer work)   But I did wonder how Jessa got all the car seats in one vehicle (didn't notice what she had for a car) so that she could drive them all home

In my department at work there are two Jessicas, two Kellys, two Michaels (both go by Mike), two Davids, and two Melissas. I'm the only one with my name so far, but it's just as popular as these. Obviously, we were all born in the 1980s :pb_lol:

54 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

I didn't notice (I half watch/listen while doing computer work)   But I did wonder how Jessa got all the car seats in one vehicle (didn't notice what she had for a car) so that she could drive them all home

I had the same thought/concern about car seats. Jessa was driving an SUV, and it looked like one that might have two rows of passengers seats in the back. It would be feasible to fit 6 kids in the back of an SUV with two rows of passenger seating, especially since Mack and Michael are old enough to be in booster seats. Izzy if old/big enough for a forward facing seat. She would need rear facing for Meredith and Henry for sure, and hopefully also still using rear facing for Spurgeon. All of that assumes the car seats were already installed or Jill thought to transfer them. If Hannie was with them, she's a bit young to ride in the front seat (recommendation is backseat for kids under 12), but I would rather have her properly restrained in the front seat than wedged in the back seat among the car seats and boosters, and potentially without access to a seat belt for herself. Of course, the best situation would be to call one of her many adult siblings to driving over with a second car and spare car seats, to help with wrangling and transporting kids.

I'm always surprised how in a family that size, they never have car seats or strollers. Or clothes!! Also, one doesn't need a consignment store for cheap clothes. Carter's always has crazy sales. I bought my friends kid like 10 items for $40. 

Target mix and match basic clothes are alwayslike $5 per item plus their clearance stuff. After a couple years  of raising my 3 i realized this works out better for me than trying to shop at the kids consignment hell. 

It seems like they buy SO much stuff at the consignment sales. Besides Anna none of them have very many kids yet plus they should have hand me downs and crap. I get shopping second hand and all but it just seems like they end up with way more stuff than they need. At the Duggar main house they have warehouses full of clothing and household goods yet they continue to buy stuff constantly. I dont get it. I would be freaking out at the sheer volume of crap.

Im kinda a minimalist though. Like my kids have no more than 2 weeks worth of clothes, 3 pairs shoes and 2 jackets that fit at any given time. I dont have time, room or money for endless mounds of clothes, even if each piece was fairly cheap. Y'know what i mean? 

8 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Im kinda a minimalist though. Like my kids have no more than 2 weeks worth of clothes, 3 pairs shoes and 2 jackets that fit at any given time. I dont have time, room or money for endless mounds of clothes, even if each piece was fairly cheap. Y'know what i mean? 

I agree with ALL of this!  Each spring and fall I go through my 5 year old's clothes and see what still fits from the last year and supplement with either Target or Kohl's mix and match basics.  Then I'll sometimes sell back what doesn't fit or give it to another kid at daycare.  I don't have space for a ton of clothes.

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

Izzy if old/big enough for a forward facing seat. She would need rear facing for Meredith and Henry for sure, and hopefully also still using rear facing for Spurgeon. 

Henry wasn't there, this was at the time that Jessa was still pregnant because messing with timelines! ;) 

5 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

It seems like they buy SO much stuff at the consignment sales. Besides Anna none of them have very many kids yet plus they should have hand me downs and crap. I get shopping second hand and all but it just seems like they end up with way more stuff than they need. At the Duggar main house they have warehouses full of clothing and household goods yet they continue to buy stuff constantly. I dont get it. I would be freaking out at the sheer volume of crap.

They're buying stuff for the story line - they need to play of the OMG! so many kids! aspect, and giant bags of clothes help. 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Henry wasn't there, this was at the time that Jessa was still pregnant because messing with timelines! ;) 

Gah! that's right! That makes it even more manageable.

55 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

It's a thunderstormy day in Toronto so I thought I'd give you all a prezzie. You're welcome!

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

And their kids can't fucking touch their fiances :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Ugh, I wanted just one keychain with my name on it! :( It shall probably never happen. Curse of the unusual names. 

I'm crafty. I'll make you a keyring with your name.

Everyone deserves something with their name on at least once.

Mine's  an OLD family name. To date, the only place I ever found my name was on one of those porcelain sippy cups for old ladies who've had strokes.

I love consignment shopping, you can get clothes for cheap, but cheap made clothes are different than nice close priced cheap. When my kids were small there wasn't a carters store close to us, we had Gap and the box stores but the higher end stuff was best to buy at consignment.  I won't snark on them for buying consignment clothes, kids just run through them, with as many as they are planning on having, they need quality to last for more than 1 kid.  As for never having anything, they have everything, but hey have so damn many kids that it is always being used so you have to get more the more kids you have. 

8 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

It's a thunderstormy day in Toronto so I thought I'd give you all a prezzie. You're welcome!

OMG.   Do they even think about how this looks!!  Lol

So funny!!!

8 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

Those short shorts! Scandalous!

44 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

And their kids can't fucking touch their fiances :pb_lol:

When I first read this I thought it said finances. Haha I guess that's also true...

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

the only place I ever found my name was on one of those porcelain sippy cups for old ladies who've had strokes.

I literally HOWLED at this. (At work.. oops)

Actually, since may name is fairly common for someone of my generation, I've found it occasionally - but my name's spelling is much more common in Europe than the USA, so I'm always in the little kids' souvenir sections of tourist traps in Europe. lol

@VelociRapture

So insanely late to this thread/party too, but carrying on from the other thread...

Sorry I was unclear. By BEC, I meant that people were saying that her hair looked imperfect in the original photos. I wasn't talking about the braid discussion she had with Austin.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived