Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

That was Jill's choice though. No one forced her to marry Derick. It's one of the few choices that she had to make in her life. Sure Jim Bob brought them together but she didn't have to say yes. She's an adult now with children, if she's miserable then it's on her to change it. She never will however, she will continue to be miserable. 

Well tbh he seemed like a decent guy - for a fundie! - when they met and got together, I think. The biggest problem with all the fast track relationships is that they never really get to know the other person until it's too late. If they would loose up their standards a little; say, allowing long, private conversations, real hugging, cuddling and kissing before marriage, they would likely feel that they are in less of a hurry to tie the knot. The ones who then will make it to the altar would be more likely to have a healthy relationship with their spouse. But this would also mean less babies for Jesus and we can't allow that... *sarcasm* 

What is more important; that your child is happy and healthy, or that they have eleventy billion kids who'll vote anti-choice and pro-Old Testament when they grow up? 

:smiley-signs131:

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/22/2017 at 10:14 AM, OyToTheVey said:

I'm always surprised how in a family that size, they never have car seats or strollers. Or clothes!! Also, one doesn't need a consignment store for cheap clothes. Carter's always has crazy sales. I bought my friends kid like 10 items for $40. 

I buy the grands new clothes at the end of season clearance at Kohl's.   With a 30% off coupon it's often cheaper than consignment. 

55 minutes ago, Queen said:

What is more important; that your child is happy and healthy, or that they have eleventy billion kids who'll vote anti-choice and pro-Old Testament when they grow up? 

:smiley-signs131:

Me: Number one please! (If the second one happened I would really feel I raised him wrong.)

Majority of the parents in the world: One!

JB and Ofjb: We don't understand the question. Also: Jesus!

3 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Just to let us foreigners know, s04e03 is now on youtube for a while. In all the magnificent Darth Vader voices. Love it. 

At least slowed right down Michelle sounds vaguely human.

On 6/21/2017 at 0:10 AM, eveandadam said:

Did anybody consider that they just might be abstinent for the first year of marriage? They would not need to use birth control and still not get pregnant. I know one couple who did that in order to avoid a pregnancy right at the beginning of the marriage.

I don't think this is happening. I remember that whenever Boob would say "hey hey hey" in front of DQ, that signaled that he was ready for some action. When Baaaabe was doing push-ups, TLC dubbed in a "hey hey" and a "hey hey hey".  I'm not saying that means they are having sex, but the fact that they are joking about it makes it seem like it's not a taboo subject (as it may be if they were not having sex). Plus, sex after marriage is natural.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:33 AM, Carm_88 said:

Families do tend to have odd nicknames for kids. I do find Choo choo particularly odd because it's the noise for a train. Perhaps he liked trains.

I believe they call him choo choo because he really likes Thomas the Tank Engine.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:37 PM, sj3339sta said:

Did anyone else pick up on Jinger's bit of attitude about Jill asking her if she is preggers?

I don't think Jill is trying to be rude because from her experience, that's normal. Either that, or she's trying to rub it in her face that she got pregnant within days of saying her vow's.

On 6/21/2017 at 5:36 PM, Four is Enough said:

Mr. Four is of Polish descent. On One's first birthday,. we were to place a rosary and a shot glass in front of him. The one he chose was supposed to predict "how he'd turn out" in life... needless to say, we didn't do THAT "tradition" same as I didn't replace my wedding hat with a babushka (triangular shaped bandanna) over my head, nor did I allow them to put necklaces of little plastic babies around us at the wedding reception. 

One had a small birthday party with his five cousins. Cousins made crowns with glitter and gems, and we all had cake, and One liked that just fine.

My husband is Polish as well, his family is also pretty close so first birthdays are a pretty big deal. Our party size is always relatively large and it's mainly his family as my family is small.

We do the rosary/shot glass/cash tradition as well. We are Secular Humanists so to us it's meaningless, his family cares more about it then us we just kind of humor it because at the end of the day we know it's just shenanigans lol.

2 hours ago, Flippp said:

I don't think Jill is trying to be rude because from her experience, that's normal. Either that, or she's trying to rub it in her face that she got pregnant within days of saying her vow's.

I just could not fathom asking my sister or anybody else if they were pregnant yet. Kind of like standing in their bedroom while they have sex. 

38 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I just could not fathom asking my sister or anybody else if they were pregnant yet. Kind of like standing in their bedroom while they have sex. 

Only way I would ask: I knew s/he had been trying and I got an excited call saying, "Guess what?!" Other than that, nope.

We're doing a first birthday cookout for Little NQ. Close family and a few of my friends who expressed interest; burgers and hot dogs, side dishes, homemade cake. Done. Compared to the last first birthday party we went to (balloon animals, face painting, ice cream truck, professional cake, professional photographer), we're being boring. Yay boring!

Only just watched the episode and the birthday question bugged me, so I did a Wiki-math thing. I even showed my work ;) 

Duggar Ages:

JB - 51 (-19)

M - 50 (-17)

Subtracted the ages they married since they weren't the 'Duggar Family' yet. 

J1 - 29

J2 - 27

J3 - 27

J4 - 26

J5 - 24

J6 - 23

J7 - 22

J8 - 20

J9 - 19

J10 - 18

J11 - 18

J12 - 17

J13 - 15

J14 - 14

J15 - 13

J16 - 11

J17 - 9

J18 - 8

J19 - 7 

= 412 Birthdays celebrated

W/out twin duplicate = 367 Birthdays celebrated

Including grandkids:

M1 - 7

M2 - 6

M3 - 4

M4 - 1

I - 2

S - 1

= 433 Birthdays celebrated

W/out twin duplicate = 388 Birthdays celebrated

:boom: 

7 hours ago, Flippp said:

I don't think this is happening. I remember that whenever Boob would say "hey hey hey" in front of DQ, that signaled that he was ready for some action. When Baaaabe was doing push-ups, TLC dubbed in a "hey hey" and a "hey hey hey".  I'm not saying that means they are having sex, but the fact that they are joking about it makes it seem like it's not a taboo subject (as it may be if they were not having sex). Plus, sex after marriage is natural.

I believe they call him choo choo because he really likes Thomas the Tank Engine.

But not having sex in a marriage (yet) is natural as well. The push-ups scene was weird...

On 6/24/2017 at 8:40 AM, Carm_88 said:

That was Jill's choice though. No one forced her to marry Derick. It's one of the few choices that she had to make in her life. Sure Jim Bob brought them together but she didn't have to say yes. She's an adult now with children, if she's miserable then it's on her to change it. She never will however, she will continue to be miserable. 

I see what you are saying, but the whole set up of their courtship made it near impossible to truly get to know each other. I question how much they can really claim to know each other when they were not even allowed to be alone until they were married, or able to have an uncensored/monitored conversation with one another. I don't think Jill was really able to make an informed decision. She can leave him now, but the family pressure put on her by the cult will stop her. I find the whole situation incredibly sad. 

7 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I don't think Jill was really able to make an informed decision. She can leave him now, but the family pressure put on her by the cult will stop her. I find the whole situation incredibly sad. 

Jill would tell you that courtship was the best option and that they were so in love. Therefore, no matter what happened the outcome would be the same. You have to realize that the girl is so deep in the kool aid that she would be the colour of it. 

I'm watching the latest episode now, and while the kids are awfully cute in the scene at Jessa's house, I can't help but wonder why in the hell anybody watches this.  Jinger and Jeremy go to the grocery store?  Consignment shopping?  How in the hell is this good tv?  My god.  I want to take a nap, and this stupid shit has only been on 10 minutes.  

Also, I feel guilty for saying this because he's an innocent child, but my dislike of Jill is carrying over to Israel.  He is a bit irritating.  Poor kid. 

12 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

= 433 Birthdays celebrated

W/out twin duplicate = 388 Birthdays celebrated

That is a hell of a lot of chocolate mess ice cream sundaes 

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

That is a hell of a lot of chocolate mess ice cream sundaes 

Great! Now we have to work out the calories. Pass a pencil.

...ooo, though... 22lbs of chocolate supposedly is a lethal human dose. Shall we work out how many people could've been killed off... I jest. Of course.

27 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Great! Now we have to work out the calories. Pass a pencil.

Eleventy Gazillion million 

6 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

Also, I feel guilty for saying this because he's an innocent child, but my dislike of Jill is carrying over to Israel.  He is a bit irritating.  Poor kid. 

I feel bad for agreeing with you! I think little Mr. Center of the Universe is in for quite the rude awakening in a few weeks....

(we won't see it though)

6 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I'm watching the latest episode now, and while the kids are awfully cute in the scene at Jessa's house, I can't help but wonder why in the hell anybody watches this.  Jinger and Jeremy go to the grocery store?  Consignment shopping?  How in the hell is this good tv?  My god.  I want to take a nap, and this stupid shit has only been on 10 minutes.  

I think it's unfair to judge the kid by the parent. I mean, he's only 2 and it's completely normal for 2 year olds to be irritating at times. Any parent trying to take a minute to use the toilet in peace can tell you how irritating a 2 year old can get. :pb_lol:

I am glad you phrased it the way you did though - because you acknowledged you know it's unfair and you just can't help it (which I think is pretty normal too - I think most people have likely felt the same towards someone at some point.)

6 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

I feel bad for agreeing with you! I think little Mr. Center of the Universe is in for quite the rude awakening in a few weeks....

(we won't see it though)

Most kids get a rude awakening when a sibling is added - especially eldest kids because they often haven't really had to share their parents' attention before. I mean, my dog isn't a human and she had a seriously rude awakening when we brought our daughter home. Little furball absolutely adores her and the baby loves the dog just as much now, but our dog definitely felt neglected and forgotten (mostly because she's an emotionally needy little diva. :pb_lol:)

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Most kids get a rude awakening when a sibling is added - especially eldest kids because they often haven't really had to share their parents' attention before.

I really didn't mean anything!

Lil' Izzy has demonstrated that he has had some issues sharing with his cousins and handling his frustrations. He's the only little  one that TLC has really shown having these behaviors. Makes me wonder what we don't see from him. It APPEARS that he is a handful. I had one kid who was very similar.

Not criticism, just observation. 

I tend to agree with @Nikedagain?. JIll seems to have a handful of a kid on her hands. He's not going to be compliant like her without a huge fight. Jessa seems to have lucked out in the Zen kids department.

It may be that Jill's own anxiety helps propel her kid into brat-dom. They know just which buttons to push, how hard to push them, and when to do it.. Don't ask me how I know this.

I am convinced well behaved toddlers do not exist. My nieces were more than a handful. Then again, Daisy women are not known as docile, young or old.

1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

I really didn't mean anything!

Lil' Izzy has demonstrated that he has had some issues sharing with his cousins and handling his frustrations. He's the only little  one that TLC has really shown having these behaviors. Makes me wonder what we don't see from him. It APPEARS that he is a handful. I had one kid who was very similar.

Not criticism, just observation. 

Oh, I wasn't trying to bitchy towards you or @Hmmm_idolatry at all - that's why I added the laughing little smile guy. Sorry for that!

Its absolutely possible Izzy could have trouble making the transition - I think I'd be more surprised if he had no trouble at all to be honest because even super laid back kids like Spurgeon can have trouble adjusting. 

35 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I am convinced well behaved toddlers do not exist. My nieces were more than a handful. Then again, Daisy women are not known as docile, young or old.

Neither are VelociRapture women - and that's before you even add in the anxiety I had throughout my pregnancy and the terrible panic attacks using her week in NICU. Somehow I got a pretty zen daughter though. I'd be worried she was switched at birth, but she has my eyes, her daddy's butt chin, and just enough of my sass to keep me from questioning it. :pb_lol:

8 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

Yeah, I do feel that the show has gotten exponentially more boring. Or maybe it's just my waning interest in the Duggars, I don't know. I used to watch the new episodes immediately. Now I skip most and fast forward through some. The "plot" lines are just... lethargic. 

Add in that Spurgeon has a nice stable life and Izzie has lived in at least three houses and gets bounced back and forth to Central America and Arkansas plus appears to spend considerable time with Cathy when they're in Arkansas.  Lack of stability in parenting and scheduling usually shows.  Jill is the one who has had the bug picking up kid, plenty of bruises, teething on a working fan, burned hand on the water dispenser, etc.  It could be an extremely rambunctious kid or more likely with Jill and Derick's attitudes and unreasonable expectations, a child who isn't watched closely enough and gently guided down the path of how to behave who has too much instability to handle.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived