Coconut Flan

37 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Is Spurgie worse than Choo Choo?

....asking for a friend.....

No. Choo Choo is dreadful. Spurge is weird, but Choo Choo gets you beat up on the playground. Spurge may sound like a disease or ejaculate, but he can grow up with that nickname. Can you imagine being called, "Choo Choo" at age 8, 16, or 21? 

At first I thought she was trying to say, "Chewy," a common nickname for Jesus. Jesus = Jesusito (hey chew ee toe) = Chewy. I know grown men named Chewy. 

At the same time, Spurge is named after an extreme Catholic hater. It's on par with naming your kid Hitler and overlooking the part where he hated Jewish people. I'm not sure why people don't find the name Spurgeon to be inherently offensive and bigoted. 

Edit: Replaced "Adolph" with "Hitler," as "Spurgeon" is a last name, not a first. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have trouble with "Spurge" because it looks like a word that assholes on the internet use to insult people with Asperger Syndrome. It's just an ugly-ass name from every angle.

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

I kinda think they both named the first one something outlandish to get attention (be it from the media or to just stand out in the family) and they later regretted it.

My dad is a very touchy feely person, nit in a creepy way just very in tune with his emotions. I am, well...not touchy, this leads to awkward side hugs that turn into regular hugs. But I think I get this from my mom who never intitates any hugs or anything with anyone. Oddly, I am very touchy with people other than my parents. I'm weird :my_angel:

Yep, my mom was the same way!

And why bother measuring everything when they BROUGHT THE KIDS to the store? The bigger kids could try on shoes on their own. The younger ones could take off one shoe while the moms assisted with assessing fit. 

Same goes with the clothes. Hold them up to the kid for sizing. 

That whole "planning session" was absurd, but I realize they probably did it to give Anna a plotline and a paycheck for this episode. Someone has to bring home the bacon in that household. 

Next week looks like Henry's birth (two bloody hours again), so no paycheck for Smuganna in this instance. The big question here is if Jessa will kick out the TLC cameras again so they aren't present at another unattended birth? No Jill, you are NOT a midwife in the eyes of AR law. 

3 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Next week looks like Henry's birth (two bloody hours again)

Please tell me BevMo is having a sale before this airs.

1 minute ago, MarblesMom said:

Please tell me BevMo is having a sale before this airs.

What is the drinking game for the show?

I usually record it and "watch" later while I clean the plantation shutters and windows in the living room, (mostly so I can forward through Michelle and Boob), but....... I'm willing to watch when it airs if there is a legitimate drinking game involved.

Did anybody consider that they just might be abstinent for the first year of marriage? They would not need to use birth control and still not get pregnant. I know one couple who did that in order to avoid a pregnancy right at the beginning of the marriage.

5 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Did anybody consider that they just might be abstinent for the first year of marriage? They would not need to use birth control and still not get pregnant. I know one couple who did that in order to avoid a pregnancy right at the beginning of the marriage.

Oh, I truly don't think so. Not to say couples don't do that, but Jinger and Jeremy probably did start being physical after their wedding. She's been raised to believe marriage is the only way to have sex, I doubt she or Jeremy would hold off for a year.

10 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I considered that they might have waited for a few days until she could get a Depo BC shot. I couldn't convince myself that she would be willing to try BC pills or the IUD, for some of the reasons already mentioned in this thread, and a few other reasons.

The shot affords the greatest likeliness of privacy and ease. Ordering online doesn't feel very secure or private. I've had pharmacists announce my Rx while there was a line behind me. ("Your birth control pills are ready, and so is your rash cream!" Thanks.) My ex's new wife works in health care admin. She called the pharmacy and asked for my records. They sent them to her. Then I got a notice of HIPAA violations but they couldn't undo giving her my records. Given the current Duggar lawsuits, they may not feel comfortable going through online channels, delivery, or pharmacy visits. A confidential office visit for a BC shot seems the most private, besides NFP and  condoms. 

I don't think Jinger could last a year though. She salivates when he does push-ups. 

10 minutes ago, season of life said:

Oh, I truly don't think so. Not to say couples don't do that, but Jinger and Jeremy probably did start being physical after their wedding. She's been raised to believe marriage is the only way to have sex, I doubt she or Jeremy would hold off for a year.

Hm, I don't know. I really can see them doing that, though. Jinger has never been physical before getting married, so why rush things? 1 year flies by like nothing, especially when you move. And Jeremy doesn't strike me as a guy who will go for it immediately. He comes across as more patient, and dare I say, less horney, than the other guys the girls married. There are couples who don't see the actual intercourse as a top priority. This might be more often than one would think but most would never admit to it.

3 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I don't think Jinger could last a year though. She salivates when he does push-ups. 

That was so acted I could not keep myself from laughing.

I actually think abstinence within marriage is discouraged by their beliefs. Now that they're married they're supposed to be having lots of sex.

2 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Jeremy doesn't strike me as a guy who will go for it immediately. He comes across as more patient, and dare I say, less horney, than the other guys the girls married.

Yes, Jeremy has some life experience. He wasn't anxious and doesn't have anything to prove. He may have a sex drive as high, or higher, than the other guys, but he doesn't present as a horny teen, like Bin. Bin seemed like he was drooling over Jessa and just wanted to get it on with a hot girl. 

22 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

There are couples who don't see the actual intercourse as a top priority. This might be more often than one would think but most would never admit to it.

True. This subject has come up a lot lately with my group of friends. It's far from being everyone's priority. 

I imagine some quiverfull couples do space pregnancies through mutually agreed-on periods of abstinence, especially when there are health reasons (like if you're a missionary in Zika territory). There is precedent for that kind of thing in IBLP, in the postpartum abstinence periods. The famous "defraud ye not" Bible verse also makes an exception for pairs who make a mutual decision to take a break from butt touchin.

I'm not convinced any of these kids are planning or putting any conscious thought into their families, but if they are, abstinence is probably far preferable to methods they believe are literally murder.

I so doubt that anyone is abstaining from anything in these marriages, but I feel like there is probably a large amount of pull and pray action happening in the Vuolo house.  There is nothing wrong with it, really, my husband and I used it for years until my husband forgot to pull. Womp Womp. Anyway, we did the whole birth control pills after my oldest was born and they didnt work for me, for I have two birth control babies, praise Rufus, but yeah. There isn't any abstinence happening there, but I bet there is a whole lot of flow method and pull and pray going on.

I think NFP is the only way to prevent for them. IF they do. Maybe they just really leave it up to god: threw the cycle sheets away and just be intimate when they feel like it. If that is the case I am not surprised it might take a while.

I never understood how they said they leave it to god but do everything to get pregnant asap with making sure to have sex the right time. I can see doing this when you really want a baby, but then you had quite some impact in this result. Fundie logic! 

My impression of the Jinger and Jeremy courtship/engagement was that there was a lot of physical chemistry going on there. They couldn't stop touching each other, even if it meant not keeping the highest courtship standards. I seriously doubt they are abstinent all the time.

My guess would be that Jeremy 'prayed' and God told him their evangelism in Laredo is a higher calling than children at the moment, or some such excuse. They would have had to talk about it after the wedding because they were never alone. So they are probably doing NFP so that God's work can still be done if he really wants them to have children. I really doubt after being raised in a fertility cult that Jinger could use regular birth control.

17 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

And Spurgeon was one last November, so he is over a year old, and would have been over six months old when Jessa wrote the FD post for Jim Bob (which I think she wrote last year, although I could be wrong about that).

I think last year she wrote a similar post for mother's day.

I think Jinger and Jeremy abstaining for the entirety of their first year of marriage is even less likely than Jinger being on the pill.

On 2017-6-20 at 9:08 AM, Million Children For Jesus said:

How many bonus points for throat punching a grown woman who talks like a baby?

I didn't watch this episode. I never watch when it first runs. I record it, so I can skip through any parts with gross Boob or that horrid Mechelle voice. If possessed Cabbage Patch Dolls had voices, they would sound like Michelle. They would watch you sleep and say, "Preccccioussss....."

Ha! Love it! All of it! ...and in my book, you get at least ELEVENTY!!!

7 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Choo Choo gets you beat up on the playground

Good thing they home-school, then. His siblings/cousins/aunts/uncles won't see that as an odd name. Same with Spurgeon.

6 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I actually think abstinence within marriage is discouraged by their beliefs. Now that they're married they're supposed to be having lots of sex.

Abstinence is practised at least for a period of time after a birth, 40 days if a boy, 80 if a girl. It's taken from Leviticus 12., allthough I'm pretty sure they do not end the period of abstinence with the also requiered blood-offering of a lamb and a pigeon or dove....
It probably would be considered a sin though if it was "just" because either part didn't feel like it. We've heard enough talk about always beeing available to your husband, that I think it is safe to say abstinence that you can not conjure up some pretend biblical reason for, is not "godly".

I don't get the Choo Choo hate. It's a silly nickname for a one-year-old. None of you call your kids goofy nicknames? My family had all kinds of ridiculous nicknames for my sister and me and they never got us beat up on the playground, I promise.

By contrast, Spurgeon is the kid's legal name and the only nickname options sound even worse. I know I tend to play devil's advocate, but I just can't with this one. Spurgeon is an awful name and Spurge and Spurgie are hideous nicknames. At least he can switch to Elliott if he wants to when he gets older.

Israel has always seemed like a perfectly normal name to me, so I never really got the hate there.

Choo Choo is not the worst nick name I've heard, Amber from Teen Mom still calls her daughter Boo Boo, Leah is almost 9, it is past being cute it's embarrassing. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived