Coconut Flan

I finally caught up reading through this thread and watched the episode. I must be feeling the Holy Spirit because I don't have too much snark on the wedding itself. It was okay.

I'm impressed with TLC for playing it first instead of dragging out wedding prep all season long like they did with Jinger. I didn't mind the hay or Jill's doily dress. The color of the bridesmaid dresses is flattering on the entire bridal party. The flowers, although autumnal, were really pretty. The entire wedding looked like an autumn wedding. The wedding dress was disappointing. I love lace, but I pictured her in a chiffon bottom or all Dupioni silk. Something that would fit the theme of a "Godly woman running through a meadow," maybe with a romantic dolman or Juliet sleeve. I actually liked the glitter and the proposal. The cupcake flavors sounded gross. 

Of course, Michelle's voice and all things Jim Boob made me hold back vomit, especially his awkward and forced father daughter wedding speech. It felt like he had never met her before and needed to read off of a cue card. I know TLC can't cut Boob and MEchelle out of wedding footage completely, but I hope they get cut out of the rest of the season. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Million Children For Jesus Ha, you posted exactly what I was thinking, almost verbatim.

Some other thoughts:

What especially irritated me during the service was during the prayer, where Austin's parents and Michelle were praising  the Lord and asking for him to bless Joy's and Austin's marriage and then Jim Bob only prays about them leading more people to the church. Nothing personal at all and it came off as really stiff. I do think the prayers should've been private though, no need for the viewers to hear them.

You could clearly tell JD was just waiting for the hymn to end, his conducting was not very enthusiastic.

I also said before that I'd hold my snark over Joe proposing at the reception until I've seen it, and now that I have I don't think it warrants any snark. Joy and Austin were clearly in on it, and using "catch the bouquet" as a setup was really clever imho. I do hope they had a (semi)-private dinner/date afterwards to celebrate the engagement by themselves though.

Late to the party. Just watched the wedding on YouTube.

1. like that they didn't use the "wedding march" or Pachelbel for the bride's entrance. I am all for a nice trumpet and organ piece of music, but unfortunately the trumpet sounded very flat. Maybe because those modern churches just miss the great acoustics of a real church? Or one of the ever so accomplished concert musician fundie friends played. Who knows. 

2. Anna looks drugged on her way in. 

3. I cannot make up my mind about Austin. He seems extremely pressured and strained to me. In interactions with Joy he seems to calm down and he was quite teary during the ceremony. I wonder what is depressing him? (Well, apart from being fucked up by growing up in an probably abusive household full of guilt and pressure). I couldn't help but feel for him and wanted to give him a hug. Hopefully they will have a happy marriage where both feel loved and respected.

4. Sadly, I don't like her dress anymore. It looked better in pictures. Especially dislike the headpiece of the veil. She should have decided against it. Maybe that is why she asked him about it? Wish she would have not listened to the bridemaids!

5. Joy seems very driven and just want to get over with it/ can't wait to leave her family. Have to say I like her attitude during the wedding.

6. I am always astonished how different those weddings are. They seem so pseudo traditional and unholy (it's more like a bad show then a real church wedding). From the amount of people in the wedding party to the length and structure of the service. I am sure they cut stuff out but it feels still so strange to me.

8. Why couldn't they give a bit more info about all the groomsmen? Are they real friends or relatives or church acquaintances?

9. Jim Bob hated Cindy's surprise. Glitterbombed indeed. 

10. What is up with Grandma Duggar? "Yeahhh...hmmmm....I could try a muffin". If you are unenthusiastic about a muffin just say you don't want one. (Totally BEC here)

11. Kendra was totally shocked. They seem cute together, but didn't they all..,

12. The hug Joy gave Joy after they were on the stage together seemed very genuine. Maybe the most genuine inter family contact I can remember. 

13. Too sad it was the pocket of his jacket. I am totally up for pretending it was the pocket of his pants till thatviswas everybody is going to remember.

1 hour ago, Icea said:

What especially irritated me during the service was during the prayer, where Austin's parents and Michelle were praising  the Lord and asking for him to bless Joy's and Austin's marriage and then Jim Bob only prays about them leading more people to the church.

Yes! Boob is so disconnected and self-serving. Everything about him makes my skin crawl. 

It just dawned on me what I did like about the wedding. I liked that she involved her brothers are more than ushers (conducting the hymn) and sharing her day with the engagement.

IMHO...the prayer part of the service should have been kept private, but anything to boost those ratings ! 

I loved-hated the Giltter Bomb.  I LOVED it caused it seemed to annoy  the fuck out of  JimBoob . .  Otherwise I hated it and thought it was tacky.  If I was the one who had to clean up the glitter I would be pissed.  

Something just occurred to me: What if JD conducting the hymn was some kind of "marketing ploy" to advertise him as a bachelor? I was really surprised about the whole thing, to me he never seemed like the person who enjoys being the center of attention. That might also have prompted his "bachelor to the rapture" comment (if that makes sense, like "even if you put me on stage in front of all these godly young women, I won't get married anytime soon").

Also, regarding the rest of the wedding episode: I really liked Joe's proposal, you could see that Kendra was genuinely surprised (and I would have preferred that over the completely over the top scavenger hunt anytime). Some of the girls lining up for the tossing of the bouquet seemed far too young to even think about a courtship, imo, though. :my_sick:

The ceremony itself was incredible short, or do you think they left something out for TV? There wasn't a real speech by the pastor. Thinking back to Jinger's wedding, Papa Vuolo said things like "Jeremy liked Jinger and to his great delight, she liked him back" etc. But there was nothing personal about the couple/their history AT ALL. And yeah, the iPad seemed unnecessary then. And really tacky.

15 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

As for what Joy was signing, maybe it was just the "church" certificate. I forgot we signed something at or wedding as well, and it was the covenant of marriage that isn't legally binding but religiously.  Maybe it was something like that?  but technically after the vows her name has changed, I would need to look at my licence to see what named I signed but I want say I signed my married name to that.  I've been married to damn long to remember honestly. 

I agree I don't think she was signing a marriage license mainly because if I remember correctly the bride and groom sign the license application on the date they apply  and after the ceremony is performed the minister signs or verifies that they performed the ceremony.  I think they were signing a marriage covenant or something like it so here married name would be okay.

Any chance that the bridesmaids are future in-laws?  I was hoping for more pictures of Duggar males standing close to random women to speculate on or the next courtship....  I guess there's Josiah, the odd looking guys and the Salyer Sisters....

@freejoy Thank you! Someone in a Rodrigues thread was laughing about Jill R demonstrating how to put things into other things on one of her dreadful Plexus videos, and it was the answer to all my severe prayers about what could possibly represent me!  Jill Rodrigues, woman of 1000 screenshots!

And speaking of Jill Rod, I too am interested in the invite she had with the "You can RSVP all you like, but there might not be room for you" message, versus the swathes of empty seating...

3 hours ago, Icea said:

I also said before that I'd hold my snark over Joe proposing at the reception until I've seen it, and now that I have I don't think it warrants any snark. Joy and Austin were clearly in on it, and using "catch the bouquet" as a setup was really clever imho. I do hope they had a (semi)-private dinner/date afterwards to celebrate the engagement by themselves though.

At first I thought the proposal at his sister's wedding was in poor taste but it was well done. The bride and groom were clearly into the surprise so it was actually very nice. Kendra looked genuinely shocked.

9 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

I thought this was genuine as well. And thus far, hasn't D-wreck been the only groom not to get teary watching his bride? 

Douchehole. 

My husband did not tear up when I walked down the aisle. Neither did my BIL or a former friend's husband. Some guys just don't show happiness in that way and that's ok.

Derick is an ass for many reasons, but this isn't one of them.

Alright, I admit that I thought the proposal was very clever and sweet. And I loved Joy's sassy walk to give Kendra the bouquet. 

I'll just over here eating delicious crow now.

Jennifer looked so sad.It made me cry to see her cry.At least Austin has a sense of humor,loved what he said about thinking he may have to become a monk..lol.John has a great sense of humor...loved how he teased the woman putting on the guys bottonneire(I can't spell that one.And,of course,bachelor to the rapture.He seemed to show a bit more of his personality.I'm warming up to Kendra,too.Also,when Joy came out with her dress on,Jill hugged her,first..her buddy..or sister mom.

Sorry but I do not  care for the bride and groom's sprint down the aisle ,again...like Jessa and Ben.

@CrazyMumma Meagan Ballinger is Austin's older sister. She had a baby named Harper Lynn recently and is married to Bobby Ballinger. Not sure how much older she is than Austin, but voter registration records puts her age at 25.

Okay, I've seen the whole special now but I missed the Bachelor to the rapture part. When was it said? Thanks!

19 hours ago, Georgiana said:

It's possible Joy completed her legal name change before the ceremony. I've had friends do that. 

How would they have done it, legal petitioned change? AFAIK, you have have to have the proof the wedding occurred before you can legally get it changed at the Social Security office. (I will note that I'm in the US and I never changed my name anyway.)

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

My husband did not tear up when I walked down the aisle. Neither did my BIL or a former friend's husband. Some guys just don't show happiness in that way and that's ok.

Derick is an ass for many reasons, but this isn't one of them.

Yup. My husband spent our ceremony trying not to laugh hysterically from nerves; I suspect the only thing he felt when I walked down the aisle was relief, because I was a few minutes late and he was convinced I'd call it off. Of the two of us, I was the watering pot.

I wonder if Derrick dipped Jill again for a kiss at the end....i saw the episode in chunks so not sure if I missed something or maybe the edit team made sure to leave it out?  

Anna has grown into a beautiful woman...she wears being a woman scorned very well....

I peeped Nathan Bates in the audience a few times , so it was a bit silly that they didn't show Carlin or tried to edit in a way to not show her. 

Out of all the proposals so far Joe's is the best. Simple & to the point. And she was already dressed up so made for amazing pictures afterwards. 

Austin strikes me as a very sensitive and loving guy, trying to do and say the right thing always. I have a feeling these 2 are somehow gonna surprise us all as they grow together. Joy clearly couldn't wait to run away. If it wasn't for all the rules, These 2 might have eloped a long time ago. 

Jessa looked a bit off....but I'm a bit hesitant to snark because she does have a little baby & A toddler at home and it could be lack of sleep. 

I thought it was hilarious that JimmyBobby & Jeronimo LOATHED the confetti. We can see past those fake smiles guys. 

Is the novelty wearing off between Jinge& her beloved? Something seemed....weird...like 1st trimester queasy weird. 

Oh, wow. I just started watching the episode on the TLC website and I can already tell I might want to hold off on the rest till I can drink. "I've been waiting for this for so long." ...The heck?! You're a teenager and your engagement lasted three months!

4 minutes ago, AlternativeVoice said:

Is the novelty wearing off between Jinge& her beloved? Something seemed....weird...like 1st trimester queasy weird. 

I wouldn't go straight to that, I thought they just seemed like they started settling in and getting comfortable with each other and Jinger probably is starting to really see how cray cray her family is.  She looked comfortable with Jeremy but a little disgusted at her family. Plus, I think for first trimester weird she would have to be missing a lot more.  Like I spent 1/2 my grandmas funeral on the bathroom floor throwing up and crying. I'm pretty sure my family just thought I was hung over lol. Jinger wasn't ever really missing from any big shots. That I noticed anyway.

I'm sure this Michael Cera-looking dude is A DREAM, but he comes across as so square with his "father please give me a useless quest to prove myself as A Man" thing. However, dumb artificially-pious gestures from wannabe-patriarchs have always been one of my turn-offs so maybe I'm biased.

6 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I'm impressed with TLC for playing it first instead of dragging out wedding prep all season long like they did with Jinger.

Ohhhhh but i have a feeling it'll be like Jinger's wedding. They show it first and then the entire new season is the boring back story leading up to the wedding. 

12 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Late to the party. Just watched the wedding on YouTube.

Impress that you watch video, the audio and picture were to bad to watch, I find two videos-i hope they put some more on youtube :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived