Coconut Flan

25 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

How would they have done it, legal petitioned change? AFAIK, you have have to have the proof the wedding occurred before you can legally get it changed at the Social Security office. (I will note that I'm in the US and I never changed my name anyway.)

She didnt change her name because the Joshly lawsuit, filed days before the wedding, is Joy Anna Duggar.  My guess is that this was some sort of fundie license, kind of like a Ketubah, that has no legal authority but is something pretty to hang on the wall before you have sex.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the most genuine Duggar moment I've ever seen EVER! And it kind of melts my heart a little bit.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Yeah I thought Joe hugging Joy after the proposal was really sweet and genuine too.

Now I'm interested to see how much attention Joe and Kendra will get on the show in comparison to the Duggar girls. I imagine Kendra's family will want to be much more involved in the planning than any of the Duggar grooms' families were. I really hope Kendra gets the wedding she wants and TLC doesn't dictate too much.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Unfortunately the show pulled a 0.3, making the top 25 cable shows for Monday. 

Each wedding keeps dropping though so hopefully even the wedding episodes will fall to cancellation territory soon.  Like you, I was hoping for a larger drop this time.

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

How would they have done it, legal petitioned change? AFAIK, you have have to have the proof the wedding occurred before you can legally get it changed at the Social Security office. (I will note that I'm in the US and I never changed my name anyway.)

They were legally married before the ceremony, but didn't make that public. It happens more often than you'd think. Weddings take so much time to plan right, and in the meantime it may make sense to get legally married so one partner can get on their partner's insurance, the couple can buy a house easier, etc. etc. 

I've also known couples who had a ceremony but were NEVER legally married by choice. 

Also, my parents' friends who thought they were legally married for 30 years just found out the marriage was never filed with the county. While things were different 30 years ago, they did let her change her name without proof of the marriage having taken place and filed. I'd imagine that with computers now, that's less of a concern, however. 

On 6/13/2017 at 7:30 AM, Jane M. said:

Haven't seen the episode yet but from what I'm reading John David stole show? :pb_lol:

"Bachelor to the rapture" lol 

I'm starting to like him.

Granted John David is not eye candy but I have known homely men turn into hotties by their physique and personality's/actions. There is hope yet!

Why can't grown ass girls/women keep their shoes in their bedroom. Austin must have secretly cringed at the one shoe entrance, allowing for the missing shoe and the somewhat dirty feet. 

These girls have many more things to adapt to in married life than we can even imagine. Ginger talking about constant noise and I remember Derrick telling Jill that she did not need to holler when they first were married. Probably have to take a number to use the loo.

Finally watched the whole two episodes...! Had to break up the watching into 15 min bits over 3 days , so as not to have too many brain cells die in one go. 

Loved the part after the trampoline park, where Derek talks about Austin's integrity and work ethic , and Ben talks about flipping houses and getting prepared for marriage and responsibility as a 'provider' ..!! Oh the irony...!

Wonder if these guys ever introspect...

When JD was directing the song during the wedding I felt like he was doing his duty as a great older brother for a younger sister he loved. And his Bachelor/Rapture comment is absolutely fabulous. 

I've always enjoyed JD the most out of the Duggar clan. He's funny and seemingly more self-aware than the others. I'll never forget his tongue in cheek comment alluding to the incestual reputation of Arkansas. I think JD having so many jobs and interaction outside of the fundie world has allowed him to be less scripted than the rest.

So I think I understood that they did a covident (sp?) marriage. I remember josh and Anna doing this and possibly Jill and Derek but not Jessa/Ben or Jinger/Jeremy. Any thoughts on this? Maybe they just didn't show that part in all of them.

On the maiden/new name on the marriage license, I do want to say that different states do it differently. I got married last year in Iowa and they way they do it, you do sign with your new name & the license is used to legally change your name.

The way it works is at the courthouse when you first apply for the license, you put down your current name and your name after marriage on the application. This is notarized & states that you will or will not be changing your name. Then at the wedding, you sign with your new name & mail it back to the courthouse, and then will be mailed back the marriage certificate with your new name.

I looked up the instructions to verify I'm remembering correctly and it states "Have the newly married couple sign only on lines 13a and 13b. They must sign exactly as they have stated that their names shall be after the marriage on lines 1b and 7c. Signing any other version of the name could affect the validity of the record. The County Recorder has the authority to refuse to register the record if it is not signed properly."

So maybe their state does it this way as well?

21 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

So I think I understood that they did a covident (sp?) marriage. I remember josh and Anna doing this

Josh and Anna couldn't have a covenant marriage.  They were married in Florida and that isn't one of the states that has it.

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

What is up with Grandma Duggar? "Yeahhh...hmmmm....I could try a muffin".

I <3 gmaw duggar! Her face was hilarious when they said one of the flavors was lemonaid. Plus FAmy had to get some talking time in. 

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My husband did not tear up when I walked down the aisle. Neither did my BIL or a former friend's husband. Some guys just don't show happiness in that way and that's ok.

Derick is an ass for many reasons, but this isn't one of them.

I was being facetious. 

Except for the douch part. Derrick is def a douche. 

43 minutes ago, buggers said:

I've always enjoyed JD the most out of the Duggar clan. He's funny and seemingly more self-aware than the others. I'll never forget his tongue in cheek comment alluding to the incestual reputation of Arkansas. I think JD having so many jobs and interaction outside of the fundie world has allowed him to be less scripted than the rest.

I remember josh saying something like "well we are from Arkansas" really not funny in light of what he did to his sisters....what did JD say?

LOL I thought Grandma Duggar looking at the cupcakes and saying "oh maybe just a small one...." was the most classic grandma move ever.

3 hours ago, AlternativeVoice said:

Is the novelty wearing off between Jinge& her beloved? Something seemed....weird...like 1st trimester queasy weird. 

She's probably bored out of her mind, like Jill was when Derick went to work. Only she's 100's of miles from her sisters.  While I'm guessing part of her is enjoying the quite solitude, trying to find what to do to fill all those hours has to be daunting when you are used to the chaos of TTH has to be an adjustment.  I would imagine it would be like moving from Chicago to Waverly Iowa (Chicago being TTH & Waverly her apartment in Laredo) I imagine it is quite the culture shock.  Seriously she didn't even have her own bed much less bedroom. The've gone from no solitude EVER to no supervision at all. In the blink of a kiss. 

1 hour ago, buggers said:

I've always enjoyed JD the most out of the Duggar clan. He's funny and seemingly more self-aware than the others. I'll never forget his tongue in cheek comment alluding to the incestual reputation of Arkansas.

Uh, yeah, that was Josh, the guy who actually committed incest against his sisters. Either way, not a cute remark to make given the family's history.

2 hours ago, Lilipad said:

Finally watched the whole two episodes...! Had to break up the watching into 15 min bits over 3 days , so as not to have too many brain cells die in one go. 

Loved the part after the trampoline park, where Derek talks about Austin's integrity and work ethic , and Ben talks about flipping houses and getting prepared for marriage and responsibility as a 'provider' ..!! Oh the irony...!

Wonder if these guys ever introspect...

It took me two days to watch the entire episode! I didn't exactly watch it, just let it play in the background when I cleaned. 

The irony is awesome, and although staged, I didn't mind the trampoline day and seeing the BIL's sans wives. Whatever it was that Derick was doing on the obstacle course was brilliant entertainment. As a previous poster said, he looked like the giraffe, Melman, from Madagascar. Austin is surprisingly athletic. At least this clip showed some genuine side of them. You can't script being a giraffe or having good balance. Anything is better than those dreadful TH segments.

2 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

When JD was directing the song during the wedding I felt like he was doing his duty as a great older brother for a younger sister he loved. And his Bachelor/Rapture comment is absolutely fabulous. 

Him walking with Jenny was also super sweet. 

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

They were legally married before the ceremony, but didn't make that public. It happens more often than you'd think. Weddings take so much time to plan right, and in the meantime it may make sense to get legally married so one partner can get on their partner's insurance, the couple can buy a house easier, etc. etc. 

That makes sense, then. I wasn't sure, with the initial comment, whether that was the case or not.

9 minutes ago, veron1que said:

Him walking with Jenny was also super sweet. 

I thought that was sweet also. I think Jenny was probably more comfortable walking with JD rather then someone she did not know. 

4 hours ago, JMO said:

@Million Children For Jesus I'm crazy sleep deprived but I thought Jinger's wedding was also shown prior to the episodes with her wedding prep. The other two girls were shown in order.   

You're right. It felt like Jinger's wedding planning was the footage that wouldn't die. I don't even remember watching the wedding. 

Re. Joy's veil - I got the impression that she didn't want to wear it, but lost the argument with the other women. If Austin said he preferred the veil-free look, that would trump the bridesmaids, but Joy couldn't say that in front of cameras and groomsmen.

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

*snip*

There were a few moments/comments that made me wonder about this. Nothing really specific, just a sense that something was off/different here. Jana comments about the first kiss were odd, and to me almost seemed like Joy and Austin had kissed before. Either they were legally married before the wedding, or they pushed the bounds of courtship rules.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived