IGNORED

Dillards 30 - Lawsuit Tweets and Leaving Danger America

choralcrusader8613

46 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Perhaps I exaggerated. OK, definitely exaggerated. But from my understanding, labor didn't progress, baby was in distress, and they both had Group B Strep. Had she not gotten her ass to the hospital, it wouldn't have ended nearly as happily as it did. Had she gotten her ass to the hospital sooner than she did, it would have been, I'm sure, an even better outcome.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if I had missed something when it was fresh news. 

I agree. I'm very glad she went when she did because it prevented a really tragic situation from possibly happening. But I wish she had gone sooner.

@QuiverFullofBooksThere's a big difference though. Jill acted recklessly in many ways, but neither of them were close to death at any point as far as we know. If she had been we would have heard about it - something about how truly blessed they are that they were spared by God, blah blah, Jesus, blah blah, sweet blessing, blah blah, lets have another!

As for the pedicure thing - do you recall whether her water had broken at that point? If it had - stupid. If it hadn't - might as well do something relaxing while you wait for early labor to end.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." 

This is how I feel when we compare the Duggars, because while Jill and Derrick seem to be the worse off, I'm sure the others aren't fairing all to well behind closed doors. 

Is there really as much evidence that Jill and Derick have a bad relationship as posters here seem to think?

It's sad if true, which is why I'd like to think it's just over-speculation.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Is there really as much evidence that Jill and Derick have a bad relationship as posters here seem to think?

@Rachel333, I am of the opinion that there is not. It seems to me to be one of those topics that begins with speculation, often based on a single photo, and slowly but surely emerges as fact. It honestly drives me fucking crazy. 

Another recent example: Jessa giving Jill serious 'side-eye' during the sisters' congratulatory video.  Because Jessa and the sisters are so over Jill. Everyone in the family obviously can't stand Jill. Except Joy, presumably, as evidenced  by the buckets of tears she shed at Jill's wedding, and Jill's status as Joy's MOH. But everyone else, obviously. 

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker. This is what I think is going on with Derick:

His courtship with Jill made "19Kids" popular. Fans loved him and showered him and Jill with gifts. Fans listened to him. The Dillards wedding was the highest rated TLC program ever. Then Joshgate happened.  Derick has experienced a really high high and very low low. This has happened with A-Z list celebrities before. They're on top of the world, a scandal hits and that next thing you know they're ranting on TMZ.

If there is some tension between the Dillards and everyone else, I wonder if it has to do with how miserable Jill seems in Central America. I would bet money that the family has tried to convince Jill and Derick to stay in the US. Jill, despite wanting to stay, probably sides with Derick. I also think the Dillards openly grifting could be a problem.

This is just speculation.

@JoyJoyWelcome!! Hard to know for sure if JillyMuffin really does like SCA or is pretending because she cannot dissent. I would hate it. Selfish me, I would do fundraisers to send money to an area if I had one baby and more soon to come. Cougars, shower racks, murders and scary bug type things would not be what I would want. 

The grifting is so annoying I mean really. Really Really Really annoying. 

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

(I don't want to get into an argument about homebirth, but wasn't her attendant barely qualified or something?) - still, none of them 'almost died'.

Yeah, Jessa's attendant I don't even think is certified as a doula and has been accused of not recognizing problems in the past. But she has such a loyal following that those that speak against her don't get very far. 

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Personally, I don't think so. I honestly do not know where people get that Derick can't stand Jill and he finds her annoying. I can see why people say Jill seems like an emotional person and I can even understand people saying she and/or Derick seem to have lost some of their spark. But somehow it seems to have mutated into "Derick and Jill clearly made a huge mistake getting married, they seem to hate each other". I don't get it.

I think it's far more likely that IF there is any lost spark in those two, it's because being "missionaries" in "dangerous Central America" far away from any family, as a relatively newly married couple with a small child and another on the way, is harder on them than they expected. Not because they have a bad relationship. And even that could be way off the mark. We really don't see much of their life anymore, certainly not enough to say with certainty that they're unhappy with each other.

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

wasn't her attendant barely qualified or something?

I seem to recall some juicy gossip about the attendant at Jessa and Anna's births (Theresa...?) being some kind of infamous rogue doula with a cult-like following, who is loathed and shunned by the midwifery community and also known for botching births? or something??

11 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

I seem to recall some juicy gossip about the attendant at Jessa and Anna's births (Theresa...?) being some kind of infamous rogue doula with a cult-like following, who is loathed and shunned by the midwifery community and also known for botching births? or something??

I wouldn't go that far, but she is a doula who acts as a midwife despite a lack of qualifications. Her husband is an actual doctor, though, and they often work together. I've never heard of her botching a birth. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I think you might be thinking of the midwife Jill studied under, Venessa Giron, who did lose her license from making mistakes with home births.

6 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but she is a doula who acts as a midwife despite a lack of qualifications. Her husband is an actual doctor, though, and they often work together. I've never heard of her botching a birth. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I think you might be thinking of the midwife Jill studied under, Venessa Giron, who did lose her license from making mistakes with home births.

No, she did. Theresa F. She was under investigation at one point too. We talked about it in the thread about Jessa's birth special. 

37 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

No, she did. Theresa F. She was under investigation at one point too. We talked about it in the thread about Jessa's birth special. 

Interesting, do you have links? I've googled but can't find anything. There are accounts of her being in some scary situations with births, but nothing about her being investigated. She is not licensed as a midwife at all so I don't really know what you could investigate her for.

It's kind of scary that it is legal to basically perform midwife duties without being licensed.

She also had meconium staining which is an indication of fetal distress, and on top of all the other signs, Jill still not seek medical treatment for quite some time. I wondered what that MWC test covered...this seems pretty basic information that Jill just blew off.

11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I agree. I'm very glad she went when she did because it prevented a really tragic situation from possibly happening. But I wish she had gone sooner.

@QuiverFullofBooksThere's a big difference though. Jill acted recklessly in many ways, but neither of them were close to death at any point as far as we know. If she had been we would have heard about it - something about how truly blessed they are that they were spared by God, blah blah, Jesus, blah blah, sweet blessing, blah blah, lets have another!

As for the pedicure thing - do you recall whether her water had broken at that point? If it had - stupid. If it hadn't - might as well do something relaxing while you wait for early labor to end.

Yes, it sounds like they were never in immediate danger, just in a dangerous situation. I don't remember if her water had broken. I certainly hope not. But I can't imagine sitting in a pedicure chair during early labor and thinking, "Gosh, I hope my water doesn't break!"

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm still skeptical of how Jill monitored her actual labor time. I think she may have exaggerated a wee bit, and her trips to the chiropractor and nail salon occurred before she was having anything other than an occasional contraction, but nothing to indicate true labor. 

I don't think she ever stated if her water had broken before she participated in these activities. I think we can all agree that later on in labor, she acted recklessly. 

7 hours ago, Taylurker said:

Speaking of midwives, do we know who Anna's midwife with Marcus was?

It was the midwife that the Query widow apprenticed under (sorry, I've forgotten her name, although I could pull it up easily enough). I don't think her name was ever mentioned, but I have the list of licensed lay midwives (different than Jill's CPM designation in AR), and there are so few that I could pinpoint her by location. 

Going by location on my list, Heather Chowdhury and Martha McBride are from Fayetteville. Dana Maples is located in Siloam Springs, and IIRC, they had to drive for a while to get from the Mold House (in Fayetteville) to their location. Anna Tarbet in Rogers is another option. Rogers is on the northside of Springdale, which is north of Fayetteville. I don't remember any of these names mentioned, and they didn't use Venessa, although I think Marcus was born before she lost her license. 

None of these names rings a bell with me. All I remember was that shack that was the midwife's "office." 

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Interesting, do you have links?

I used the search function here, but I only found posts of people mentioning it. I also don't remember what the "F" stood for. If someone remembers her full name (if it's out there) I'm sure we can google. I swear I read something about a mom complaining about her following keeping her in business even though she's not certified. 

Was it Shelley Wasson, maybe? She is located an hour away from Springdale. I'm thinking that Meredith was probably born under the care of whoever delivered Marcus, too, based on some photographs.

5 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

Was it Shelley Wasson, maybe? That is an hour away from Springdale. I'm thinking that Meredith was probably born under the care of her, too, based on photographs of the location.

Shelley Wasson is currently not licensed, but it's possible she retired or just let her license expire in the two years since Meredith's birth. But then again, Anna had her first two with the infamous doula Teresa Fedosky, so formally unattended births are not unknown to her. 

3 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Shelley Wasson is currently not licensed, but it's possible she retired or just let her license expire in the two years since Meredith's birth. But then again, Anna had her first two with the infamous doula Teresa Fedosky, so formally unattended births are not unknown to her. 

The midwife was an older woman, so she may have since retired. She seemed professional to me (and they did film her, unlike Teresa). Another midwife in that area is Theresa K. Starr. I can't find any pictures of them, unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I used the search function here, but I only found posts of people mentioning it. I also don't remember what the "F" stood for. If someone remembers her full name (if it's out there) I'm sure we can google. I swear I read something about a mom complaining about her following keeping her in business even though she's not certified. 

Yeah, it has always bothered me too that she's acting as a midwife despite a lack of qualifications. Even if nothing serious has happened yet it's still very dangerous.

She only advertises herself as a doula and there's no license required for that so I don't know that anything could be done legally.

15 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

The midwife was an older woman, so she may have since retired. She seemed professional to me (and they did film her, unlike Teresa). Another midwife in that area is Theresa K. Starr. I can't find any pictures of them, unfortunately.

I don't see Teresa K. Starr on the LMW list either. I am trying really hard to remember that episode when they visited the midwife, but they could have been CPMs like Jill, and therefore not on the LMW list. CPMs can't legally practice in AR. Jill is a CPM; she never took the AR boards to become a LMW. But I don't think any CPM would put themselves on teevee. It's very possible that the older woman who attended Marcus' birth retired/let her license expire. 

If Teresa was the attendant for Jessa's birth then I wonder why they didn't film her. She had been on the show several times before.

43 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I don't see Teresa K. Starr on the LMW list either. I am trying really hard to remember that episode when they visited the midwife, but they could have been CPMs like Jill, and therefore not on the LMW list. CPMs can't legally practice in AR. Jill is a CPM; she never took the AR boards to become a LMW. But I don't think any CPM would put themselves on teevee. It's very possible that the older woman who attended Marcus' birth retired/let her license expire. 

Apparently Theresa Starr is a CNM, and Shelley is listed as a CPM. They're both from Fort Smith. I don't know these people, I just found them on google.

IIRC, Marcus was born at the midwife's home, not a birth center, though a quick search shows that there is a CNM birth center in Fort Smith. I am not sure if CNMs are allowed to deliver homebirths in Arkansas or not. That said, I think you're right that the midwife who delivered Marcus likely retired or let her license expire (since she looked to be in her 60s or 70s, she probably retired). She had to have been a CNM or LMW.

Someone at PTV looked it up (she's an OBGYN), and she discovered that CNMs can NOT attend homebirths in Arkansas. LMWs are your only legal option; Jill's CPM certification is hardly worth more than the paper it's written on.  I guess it's more of a stepping stone to licensure. She has to take the AR certification exam to attain LMW status, something she has yet to do. 

Fort Smith is about 60 miles from Fayetteville. I don't think they drove THAT far to get Anna to the birthing center. That would be insane when there are three midwives in their immediate area (four now that Mrs. Query is licensed). I have a feeling they went to Siloam Springs, which is about 15 miles away. That would still seem like an eternity for a woman in hard labor. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived