IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's the Final (Wedding) Countdown!

choralcrusader8613

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Isn't that Pentecost?

Thinking about it, I reckon you're right. Hoo-blinking-rah  - at last it seems like I'm loosing some Christianity memory.

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

We used to get a week off school in the UK for Whitsun. Of course, that was when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Don't know what they do now.

...reheated precooked dinosaurs most likely... I was there for the free-range fresh ones too. ;)

Doesn't it get sort of blended in with the half term six weeks after the major school holidays now?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Lurky said:

At Jinger's wedding there were photos of the Rods singing at the after-party in the Duggar house, which Jill R spread around liberally. So that pleasure will still be had by the family's guests, if not by the TLC audience!

Damn.  Not only were the molestations and  Joshley  scandal not enough to snap JB and Michelle out of their quivering delusions of superiority but they were still unswayed despite having Jill and the  Rodriguii performing in their home.Any reasonable person would seriously question a lifestyle that leads to Jill and her brood in their house. 

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

True confession:  I remember almost zero from CCD.  I bought a copy of the catechism and read it as an adult.  It's better than sleeping pills. 

I went to Catholic high school, but not CCD. I think I know a lot more about Catholicism and rules than my confirmed husband. 

Completely OT (it's been a long week - my brain is doing odd things to me), but I have to say, you just gave me a fantastic giggle when I read 'confirmed husband' - my head went to a place of going to meet Mr MIO somewhere and publicly saying "yeah, he's cool, I'll bring him home". ...don't worry, Mr MIO has a favourite quote he applies to me too: "I'm happy to feed this one, but we're not starting a breeding program".

Found this over at lily and Ellie's... wasn't Leah Grady the same girl that spilled the beans on Joy being in a courtship? I checked out her picture and I think it is based on the ones posted on j & a's first thread

i think she didn't get the memo from the duggars about privacy lol

IMG_1136.PNG

Can't anyone put any name in those kind of comment sections? I could've been Leah Grady. But it does match up with what that other poster who allegedly knows them was saying- The wedding is next weekend, just not when everyone thinks.

If it is the 26th, I wonder what made them choose a Friday evening wedding. A lot of venues are cheaper on Fridays/Sundays than Saturdays. Or maybe the date is special to them. I got married on a Sunday for that reason.

29 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

If it is the 26th, I wonder what made them choose a Friday evening wedding. A lot of venues are cheaper on Fridays/Sundays than Saturdays. Or maybe the date is special to them. I got married on a Sunday for that reason.

This is fact. Stepson got married on a Sunday and got a 50% reduction in price from a Saturday. 

Friday also seems an odd choice, but it's not like any of them work, so...

It could mean that they had a specific venue in mind and, due to the short courtship, that was the only time they could get.

Since fundie weddings only go for about 3 hours including the reception, it's not like it would be an allnighter. 

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

Friday also seems an odd choice, but it's not like any of them work, so...

It could mean that they had a specific venue in mind and, due to the short courtship, that was the only time they could get.

Since fundie weddings only go for about 3 hours including the reception, it's not like it would be an allnighter. 

exactly. and homeschooling means that no one has to be up for school at 8/9am. Jebus won't mind if they sleep in. You know. 'Duggar Time'. 

We got married on a Thursday (also May 26 - I think I said upthread that if the wedding is on Friday they'll share our anniversary).  We saved a lot of money that way, or more realistically, we were able to have a nicer reception that way.  We were poor grad students and all of our guests were either also grad students (so no big deal to take off an hour or two Thursday afternoon to get ready or Friday morning to sleep in a bit) or else flying in for a long weekend anyway so no big deal to have the event on Thursday night and give them the whole rest of the weekend for sightseeing.

I'm sure her ovulation schedule figures into the marriage date somehow. If she's ovulating on a friday, the wedding will be on a friday.

Now. Where's the brain bleach?

I don't think it's possible to pin down the exact date you're going to ovulate that far in advance. Especially given that stress can often delay ovulation.

Lots of women try to schedule their weddings to avoid being on their period, on the other hand, which often coincides with ovulation, and that makes perfect sense to me.

12 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't remember a thing from Confirmation classes. I know that we sat in the church and talked a lot, I just don't think that we were very on topic. 

It was prime note passing time. Back in the Jurassic age...

When I was Joy's age, I got my period every fourth Wednesday at about 10:00 am. Two weeks later, I was ovulating... could tell by the mittleschmertz and discharge. For a long time, I thought everyone was that regular.

@divadivineI took my list from the US Council of Bishops.....these are the ones that when you miss Mass it is a mortal sin. Or it used to be. The others are former days of obligation or just delineated special days. 

I remember the threat of mortal sin quite well. Guilt is the gift that keeps on giving. 

Evening would be nice actually. A sunset wedding. Didn't he ask her to court while watching a sunset ?

21 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Evening would be nice actually. A sunset wedding. Didn't he ask her to court while watching a sunset ?

And I think the engagement was as well. 

19 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

It's not a big deal at all.  I could be wrong, but I think this is mainly a Catholic observance in the US. 

For Catholics, it is not even a holy day of obligation in the entire country as it is one that each provincial section is allowed to choose to have as a holy day or to observe on the following Sunday. 

So, yeah, not a big deal at all. 

Catholic trivia: 

Holy days of obligation differ from country to country and can even differ from region to region (Ascension Thursday being an example of that--it is a holy day here, ten minutes away across the river in Iowa it is not and is marked next Sunday). Hence the differing lists. 

I went to hardcore Catholic school in the Most Conservative Diocese in America (tm) and had to memorize all of this stuff for test after test every year in religion class. 

I went to Catholic schools in the UK in the 50s and 60s, and we had to go to Mass on Holy Days at 9.30, but then had the rest of the day off - my non Catholic friends were very jealous, my single parent Mum pulled her hair out trying to find childcare.......and it included Corpus Christi and SS Peter and Paul, as well as Ascension, Immaculate Conception etc.

ETA On one never to be forgotten occasion, the next door neighbour was supposed to be watching 10 year old me. I was in our garden, and decided it needed a fish pond....dug a BIG hole, used up some left over cement and sand (wrong proportions of each) and then tried to fill it - no liner, so the water just drained out. I was so sad my Mum didn't appreciate that I had only been trying to give her a nice surprise.....

29 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I went to Catholic schools in the UK in the 50s and 60s, and we had to go to Mass on Holy Days at 9.30, but then had the rest of the day off -

We got holy days off when I went to Catholic school. My public school friends were always jealous that I never had school the day after Halloween (All Saints Day). 

When I taught in Catholic school, we had school but had a huge mass with cookies after it. Between the mass, bussing the kids to the church (it was across town) in the most unorganized fashion possible, the cookies, and the disorganized mess of getting the kids back, it took the whole morning. They never bothered to organize the busses (i.e. Mr. Jones' class is on bus 1, Miss Smith's on bus 2, etc...). They would have the whole school come down and pile on busses in a free for all. Plus it took two trips to get everyone there. Inevitably, some kids would get left at school and the secretaries would end up driving them to church. And then some kids would get left at the church and the priests would be calling a half hour later for someone to come get them. Some older kids figured out that they could sneak out in the chaos and leave in their cars and skip church entirely. 

Classes would then be 20 minute periods to get all eight periods in for the day. It was quite useless. We would have been better off not having school. 

@louisa05 Our school was right next door to church, and we had to be in the classroom at 9.00. We then marched in formation  next door....

At Grammar school (11-18) the Cathedral was opposite our school. Again we marched. in our uniform, which included a pudding bowl hat with brim. We HATED those hats, and as soon as we were out of sight of school, folded them into four and shoved them in our pockets. This led to a hole in the top of the hat....and when walking in lockstep, the hats would try to return to their comfortable state - ie folded - so they would all rise on our heads trying to fold back. It was a line of girls hitting themselves on the head at regular intervals to return the hat to the regulatory position - ah, those were the days!

ETA Just texted my oldest friend about this - and now we're both wetting ourselves laughing remembering those hats - 60s uniforms at catholic schools in the UK were not kind! Our entire uniform was a sort of rust colour - with blotting paper green*dresses in summer - hideous!

For those who never wrote with real ink pens - it's a horrid, faded, washed out green.

24 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

@louisa05 Our school was right next door to church, and we had to be in the classroom at 9.00. We then marched in formation  next door....

in our uniform, which included a pudding bowl hat with brim.  Our entire uniform was a sort of rust colour - with blotting paper green*dresses in summer - hideous! 

In my middle school, I was at the Cathedral school and the church was across the parking lot. No marching in the 80s. We usually didn't even form a line and talked on the way. But we had to get silent at the church doors and go in single file from there. 

My high school was for (at that time) eight parishes and there was no church near it. All school masses were in the gym four times a year and other masses were in classrooms with a rolling altar that could be carted around the school and even carried up and down stairs. They now have a chapel that seats about 150, so they can have masses other than all school ones in there. In pics on the alumni page, it appears they still have the same rolling wooden altar for masses in the gym. 

The parish that owned the school I taught at was building a brand new church at the time I got there. There was not space on the campus where the school and old church were nor was their adequate land available nearby, so the new church was built on the edge of town. A new elementary school was eventually built across the road from it, but funding to relocate the middle and high school there is looking very unlikely for the foreseeable future so it all remains near the now sold old church. 

We did not have uniforms at all when I went to Catholic school in the 80s, just a dress code. No jeans or shorts, no sleeveless shirts, no t-shirts with graphic images or words, a weird obsession with socks (we were required to wear socks--big contention point for the girls. We did everything in our power not to wear them in warm weather), and, of course, a minimum skirt length. 

The school I taught at had the new version of uniforms which is called a "dress system" where there is a set of clothing to choose from-- polo shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, button downs--all in four colors, pants and shorts in two colors, and a selection of skirts for the girls. Most schools in the area use similar systems and the differences are only in the colors. Never heard of hats for anyone in the U.S now or in the past. My dad went to Catholic school in the 50s; if there had been hats, I would have heard about it from him or his two good friends who went there as well. 

Back in the 50s and 60s, my brother had to wear a cap - not sure if that translates  - a bit like a ball cap, but solid, and a smaller brim. Girls had summer and winter hats - winter were velour, and summer, straw.

We had a school chapel - the convent I attended was also the residence of the nuns. It seated about 150, so chapel attendance was by year (grade) as there were approximately 110 in a year - around 3 x 36/37. So we had Friday afternoon Benediction about every 6 weeks. In the off weeks, we had 'Instruction' - where , amongst other things, they measured our skirt length.

We also had compulsory retreat - 1 day at 11, increasing to a full week at 16. During retreat, you couldn't talk, you could only read the Bible or Lives of the Saints (I was once caught reading The Passion Flower Hotel in a cover that said The Life of St. Patrick), and there were a minmum of 3 services a day.

I don't know if it still available as a script, but Mary O'Malley wrote a hysterical play about those days in UK catholic schools, called 'Once A Catholic'. I saw it with my also convent educated sister ( but she was FCJ while I was Notre Dame de Namur) and we could almost recite the lines before they came out - one of the most painfully funny experiences of my life! It featured a retreat.....

We went into mourning at my school after Vatican II - the kids, that is. Because the nuns lost those amazing headpieces that blocked all peripheral vision - and could see us misbehaving. It took me months to adapt to the fact that standing alongside a nun no longer meant she couldn't see me!

It was a different era.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived