IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's the Final (Wedding) Countdown!

choralcrusader8613

9 minutes ago, Icea said:

How big is Ascension Day in the US? If Joy and Austin are getting married next weekend, but not when everyone thinks, is it possible they could get married on Ascension Day (this Thursday)?

It's not a big deal at all.  I could be wrong, but I think this is mainly a Catholic observance in the US. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

It's not a big deal at all.  I could be wrong, but I think this is mainly a Catholic observance in the US. 

Raised Catholic and I've never even heard of it. I was never a very good Catholic though. Maybe @Four is Enoughor another poster might know.

It is a Holy Day of Obligation so should have been covered in CCD. 

I believe the Ascension is a Holy Day for the RC church, should check that. Definitely observed during my Catholic youth time. I never heard of another denomination observing it, but then I never asked!!

I had a feeling Pickles was wrong! You know what will feel odd to me? When Joy gets hitched and we all begin commenting on the nuptials. Jinger got married in November and her wedding still feels so very recent to me.

By the way, I thought Pippa Middleton wore a wonderful gown. 

17 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I believe the Ascension is a Holy Day for the RC church, should check that. Definitely observed during my Catholic youth time. I never heard of another denomination observing it, but then I never asked!!

It is observed in my Lutheran church here in Sweden. I think that most of the "big" days are the same for us as for the Catholic Church except we only celebrate saints on on All Saints Day and not individual ones. 

Huh, interesting that it's so important in the Swedish chirch but not in the US. Of course, here it is important mostly because it is always Thusday and you get the day off. When you're school age this also means that you get the Friday off since it is a "klämdag" (literally a "squeeze day"), and it doesn't really make sense to have one school day in between two days off.

A lot of adults also take the Friday off from work so they get a four day weekend, in fact most people at my office are takig this Friday off for that reason.

Ascension Day is observed in the Anglican Church, too, though it's not a bank holiday in the UK.

31 minutes ago, Incognito22 said:

Pippa's dress was really beautiful.  Was that the bridesmaid dress Kate was wearing?

I don't think so.  I think the bridesmaids were the little girls.  

32 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

*Should* being the operative word. Also raised going to CCD and I have no clue! #badcatholic

32 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yeah... no one paid attention during CCD unless we were having a party or playing Hang-man. I honestly don't know how any of us passed the Confirmation exam. :pb_lol:

Back in the day, it was a mortal sin to miss mass on a Holy Day of Obligation. Which could result in hell if not dealt with properly. There are 7 or 8 of those, while days which remember various saint are just noticed by those who are interested. This is a distinct difference, or was. I can't remember all of the 7 or 8. Retired. 

True confession:  I remember almost zero from CCD.  I bought a copy of the catechism and read it as an adult.  It's better than sleeping pills. 

People have been asking Pickles if there are any wedding updates, and she replied that her source's relatives are there, but there hasn't been any word yet.

39 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah... no one paid attention during CCD unless we were having a party or playing Hang-man. I honestly don't know how any of us passed the Confirmation exam. :pb_lol:

The only thing I remember from all my years of CCD was this one teacher who posed the question, "You're all naked in a room with Adam and Eve. What's different?!?" After what seemed like ages of us guessing and being shot down, she finally aggressively exclaimed, "THEY HAVE NO BELLY BUTTONS!" 

She trained us like dogs and for every correct answer, we got a starburst thrown across the room at us and I'm also unsure how I passed the confirmation exam. 

Sorry, @VelociRapture. I went out to dinner. What @Coconut Flan said about the ascension. Kinda surprised the fundies don't celebrate that one, since it's when Jesus returned to Heaven... isn't that what they think will happen during the "rapture"??? They'll all be assumed into Heaven?

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Raised Catholic and I've never even heard of it. I was never a very good Catholic though. Maybe @Four is Enoughor another poster might know.

I've celebrated it in Italy, but the most I've seen in the US is a celebratory morning mass (if you're that 7 am sort of person) and evening social things. The parish some of my friends are in does a celebration, works out since it's softball season and the games are at the church. How do I know? Because my far too cute godson promised his little softball team that I was bringing his favorite pudding puffs AND oranges to his game for it.  Gives me time to think while I fill enough cream puffs for them and the parents? Bahaha, but seriously, anyone else have an often requested recipe that you've gotten mileage and mileage out of? I tend to wind up doing a lot of food at wedding and baby showers, but I don't want to keep serving the same thing to the same folks!

I wonder if Joy and Jinger will pass on the Duggar bread recipe in their homes?

7 minutes ago, cascarones said:

I was bringing his favorite pudding puffs

I think we are going to need this recipe....

2 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I think we are going to need this recipe....

Here ya go! Though I'm lazy and just use instant jello pudding (white chocolate, vanilla or a mix) for filling, then use the extra  pudding as a dip for fruit if it's at a shower. It looks like more steps than it is, but a complete whizz if you've got a stand mixer. 

Cream puffs

9 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

It's also known as Whitsun/Whit Sunday/Whitsuntide isn't it?

Isn't that Pentecost?

3 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Isn't that Pentecost?

I think it is. Maybe I should look up the eight Holy Days of Obligation

5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think it is. Maybe I should look up the eight Holy Days of Obligation

January 1, Solemnity of Mary

Thrsday of the sixth week after Easter...The Ascension

August 15...The Assumption of Mary

November 1.   The Solemnity of All Saints

December 8...The Immaculate Conception of Mary

December 25....Christmas