IGNORED

JinJer: Now with Social Media

Destiny

Jeremy loves books. I love Jeremy. Now I love books.

"Some televisions are black and white. All penguins are black and white. Therefore, some televisions are penguins"

Oh Jinger... That tells you how stunted their world view is. Maybe at least she will read books outside of the Gothard approved world now.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A jeremy & Jinger spinoff show ***might*** encourage me to beg my headship to pay for real tv again.

28 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm not sad, I'm hopeful and joyful. For all his toxic beliefs, if Jeremy really is turning Jinger into a book lover, he's earned a special place in my heretical heart.

I'm sad about how much she has missed. I do hope Jeremy can and will introduce her to bigger world, though I think it's more likely that she will just adopt his interests, views and beliefs as her own. Meaning, Jeremy won't introduce her to bigger world, just his world. 

I wonder if Ginger knew this about Jeremy before they married? And how about him, if he's a book lover, did he know that the only books Ginger was exposed to were the Bible and Waiting for Prince Charming?

And in honor of her marriage and more liberal fashion, I am no longer correcting Ginger to the J version when I am referring to only Ginger.

I've never been happier over something so pathetic. Pathetic as in: how sad to just be discovering books and only because of your husband. Happy as in:OMFG BOOKS!!!! Read on Jinge!

I like that they seem to genuinely enjoy each other. They seem to have lots of non-Jesus based fun. In terms of their time in NYC I am so happy that Jing is probably getting a real taste of the city not hindered by Duggars. There is probably so much she wanted to see and experience that her family wouldn't "get". There are few things more enjoyable than when you have someone in your life who won't give you the "that's weird" look after you express interest in something. 

I'm also very excited by the book development. However, her first selection is not taking her too far away from Gothard. She responded to an IG comment that she was currently reading "In Light of Eternity," a biography by Baptist minister Mack Tomlinson about Leonard Ravenhill. Wikipedia tells me Ravenhill was an evangelist of the 20th century who wrote about prayer and held tent revivals. Bill Gothard is listed as someone influenced by him. So yes YAY BOOKS!!! I hope Jeremy continues to enrich her life. I wouldn't be too excited by her first pick though. 

As an aside- since Jer grew up pretty normally, do you think he's read Harry Potter? did the Duggars ever speak out against Harry Potter? I would LOVE to see Jinger pick that up...a girl can dream.

59 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

A jeremy & Jinger spinoff show ***might*** encourage me to beg my headship to pay for real tv again.

Praise be to Rufus and your obliging headship. Make sure to be joyfully available to him

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but as I was looking at the picture on my own instagram feed there was a comment where she posted the Author and Title of the book that Jeremy was holding.  It's a book about Leonard Ravenhill,  a revival focused evangelical christian author. 

Edit: @neurogirl we were posting at the same time!

At least it wasn't "Jeremy loves babies. I love Jeremy. So now I am having a love baby"

2 hours ago, neurogirl said:

As an aside- since Jer grew up pretty normally, do you think he's read Harry Potter? did the Duggars ever speak out against Harry Potter? I would LOVE to see Jinger pick that up...a girl can dream.

If you go on to read other comments, a lot of people were recommending books to her that they loved as they were starting to read...including Little Women, a historical fiction series about the plight of Jewish people in WWII, "nothing better than a good novel with a fresh cup of coffee", I truly hope she reads the comments (and it looks like she does sine she replied to one) and takes some suggestions to heart. Now I'm off to get my summer library card for the beach :)

Do I think that Jeremy is going to let Jinger be free to pursue whatever life she wants? No, no way. Is he still a dangerous fundamentalist? Yep, seems to be.

That said, I am happy she is experiencing some new things, and broadening her world a little bit. If a man was always going to be in charge of my look, I'd be happier with a more stylish man than a frumper. If a man had to choose all my hobbies, I'd be happier with one that somewhat shared my interests. I don't see Jeremy as saving Jinger, but I do see her having a better quality captivity with him.

8 hours ago, Dutchie said:

And kind of liked the idea that people think my life was a mess, as it was not.

My boyfriend does the same, posting message that can be interpreted in a sad way.

I don't mind what "they" think as I am pretty happy with my life 

Why would you like misleading people? I just can't be bothered playing games like this. I don't care what people think and I am pretty happy with my life which is why I don't post on FB about it.

1 hour ago, Letizia said:

I've never been happier over something so pathetic. Pathetic as in: how sad to just be discovering books and only because of your husband. Happy as in:OMFG BOOKS!!!! Read on Jinge!

I like that they seem to genuinely enjoy each other. They seem to have lots of non-Jesus based fun. In terms of their time in NYC I am so happy that Jing is probably getting a real taste of the city not hindered by Duggars. There is probably so much she wanted to see and experience that her family wouldn't "get". There are few things more enjoyable than when you have someone in your life who won't give you the "that's weird" look after you express interest in something. 

I agree on the non-Jesus fun. Jeremy has real friends from college and his early career. They seem to all be Christian, but not necessarily super fundie. They remind me a lot of my friends from high school and college who were involved in Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

I saw Jeremy's friend James, who appeared on Counting On with his wife, commented on one of Jeremy's pictures, and Jeremy commented back. I clicked on James' IG, which is mostly photography (he's the one who apparently took their engagement photos on the rooftop). I can see Jeremy follows James and his wife, as well as some of his former Red Bulls teammates. However, Jinger is not following James or his wife (or any Bateseseses, but does follow lularoe).

I wonder if this is personal choice (to not follow any of Jeremy's friends or even his own family- cousins, siblings, etc.). It seems like for the most part who they follow have to do with their brand - being a former soccer player is part of Jeremy's public brand, so he is 'allowed' to follow his former teammates. I wonder if there is a secret more personal IG for Jeremy to be able to post/follow/comment on other family and friend's accounts (a la Alyssa Bates Webster).

44 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Why would you like misleading people? I just can't be bothered playing games like this. I don't care what people think and I am pretty happy with my life which is why I don't post on FB about it.

For me, it is about countering the perfect happy live every body posts about. It annoys me and I get really rebellious when annoyed, which results in behaving in the opposite direction. I do not think I'm hurting anybody with it so yeah. Additionally, I never lie, I just post things that can be interpreted in multiple ways. 

My problem with the loving books post is that it basically means she loves what he loves. It doesn't read that it is now true love of hers even though he introduced her to it.  It would probably be the same with Jeremy loves tuna, she loves Jeremy, so now she loves tuna. If she is actually reading anything, it is likely whatever he directs her to read. I am sure she loves soccer now too. I personally hate soccer and I could not love someone enough to suddenly love it, but my dislike of soccer is my own view, not me mimicking someone else's view. What if he hated reading, would she hate it too? Would she hate tuna? She hasn't yet shown any independence, she seems to just be reflecting what her husband likes or finds acceptable. She may be better dressed now but Jeremy has always been the best dressed of the husbands so I can see him wanting his wife to look nice as well. If they are going to post the pretty pictures, how about something she is doing that is non-Jeremy related. Something she is doing on her own. With this new love of books, what books is she now reading that differs from what jeremy likes? I am sure everything she reads is religous based and I am not talking Christian fiction.

I feel like we set the rules really low for fundy women and anything they do differently, even if it is Due to following their husbands,  is seen as some vital change in their belief system. We so want them to be independent but see it as a victory if they follow the lead of their husband in different direction because that's how they were raised. If her husband can turn her in the direction we prefer, he can do the opposite as well. That isn't independence, it's being the follower she was raised to be. There is no victory in that.

We could look at it as Jinger adopting her husbands personality/his word is god, blah blah blah...but I choose to be glass half full here. Jinger finally has permisssion to read books that aren't the Bible or whatever that book is about finding her godly prince. Yeah, she'll start religious, but she can venture out to fiction! Books are such a blissful escape. This is wonderful for Jinger, the ability to explore different viewpoints and fantasy. I am very happy for her.

I'd be more excited about the book comments if I saw proof she was reading material about something other than religion. 

Ring me when she takes an IG photo of a cup of coffee next to a Stephen King book or something. :pb_lol: 

Ginger is seemingly interested in something other than babies, babies and more babies.

Can we get an Amen?

I saw Jeremy's friend James, who appeared on Counting On with his wife, commented on one of Jeremy's pictures, and Jeremy commented back. I clicked on James' IG, which is mostly photography (he's the one who apparently took their engagement photos on the rooftop). I can see Jeremy follows James and his wife, as well as some of his former Red Bulls teammates. However, Jinger is not following James or his wife (or any Bateseseses, but does follow lularoe).

I wonder if this is personal choice (to not follow any of Jeremy's friends or even his own family- cousins, siblings, etc.). It seems like for the most part who they follow have to do with their brand - being a former soccer player is part of Jeremy's public brand, so he is 'allowed' to follow his former teammates. I wonder if there is a secret more personal IG for Jeremy to be able to post/follow/comment on other family and friend's accounts (a la Alyssa Bates Webster).

I've wondered this about all the Duggars instagram accounts. None of them follow Amy their own cousin. I think that's messed up. For some reason they reject her. Does anyone know why?

Jinger seems to be keeping her circle small on instagram, probably because she's afraid to expose herself to something that might influence her.

I took a look at this book on Amazon.  This is not a chick tract, it is 600 pages of dense reading.

It wouldn't be my choice, but kudos to Jinger for reading it.  I hope she takes some recomendations from her Instgram followers for her next books and is able to find that she can read and enjoy a book that is not connected to religion.

I wonder what Michelle's life is like? We know she has not been an independent mother for years. It seems her  entire purpose for many years was sex and breeding, nursing for 6 months, and passing the baby off...lather, rinse, repeat. Now what? Does she even like JB? Wonder where she derives her satisfaction?

Fast forward to Jessa and Jill- if they do not make changes or different decisions, their lives are already on the downhill slide. This will be as good as it ever gets.

How depressing is that thought?

Keeping reading books, Ginger!

@socalrules, to a small extent, I can see Jinger wanting to try the things that are important to Jeremy. It could be because she's trying to be a "good" wife, but it could also be that he is exposing her to new things, things she genuinely decides she likes too.

My sweetie has been involved in science fiction/fantasy conventions and gaming for many years, much longer than I've known him. When he asked me to go to a World Con with him, I thought it would be a bunch of guys dressed up in Star Trek gear speaking Klingon. I thought I'd go, since it was important to him, but I'd be one and done. To my surprise, I didn't hear Klingon (not that I'd recognize it), but I did discover that I loved the science and space panels. I learned that I really enjoy  science fiction/fantasy conventions, and I'd go to them now on my own. I've learned that I'm not as enthusiastic about gaming, but will play games with him and his friends. He has also tried and learned from my interests. After trying a book club, he's decided he's not really interested in that. He enjoys hiking with our friends and me, as long as we keep the hikes under 4-5 miles. Hiking is something else I love to do, and I'm the hike planner in our group of friends.

I think it's normal in a relationship to try the other person's interests, so long as you have the power to decide if you like it or not. As I recall, there have been recent posts of pictures Jeremy has taken. I don't recall that he was interested in photography before, so this might be her interest he is trying.

Regarding the books, at this point I'd be excited if Jinger tried Christian fiction or an Amish fiction book.

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I This is not a chick tract, it is 600 pages of dense reading.

And what's the likelihood that Ginger is really ready for a very dense read? 

If she is, good for her- and what a shame that her abilities were squashed @ Chez Duggar of the Tater Tot-

"Jeremy loves books. I love Jeremy. Now I love books" is so, so depressing.  I hope that she is able to experiment with the kinds of books he is less into (eg if he's one of those "fiction is a waste of time" people, will she feel able to read fiction?).

I guess this does mean that if they have kids, she's more likely to read to them - and maybe if she has a little sibling she feels close to, she'll give them books as presents?  But wow, I agree with the poster upthread who said it's such a depressing thing to feel happy for her about. 

(And yeah, I know other FJers have been introduced to things by significant others, but I'd bet cash money anyone saying that was also encouraged to read by some one in their life before they met their significant other...)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived