IGNORED

JinJer: Now with Social Media

Destiny

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, season of life said:

I keep forgetting Josh is still around. 

Ha! That's exactly what TLC is hoping for! 

Well, I hate to bring up the elephant in the room, but Austin bears an uncanny (and unfortunate IMO) resemblance to a young David Miscavige. At least in that one pic. 

Maybe he'll grow a beard or mustache. That would help.

Like that he actually called him a brother in law instead of derrick calling austin a co-brother.

Did anyone else notice in the video on Jinger's instagram a bible that is the ESV?  I thought they were KJV all the way??

Did anyone else notice in the video on Jinger's instagram a bible that is the ESV?  I thought they were KJV all the way??

I noticed that. Jeremy's church is Reformed (Calvinism) according to the statement of beliefs on the website. Reformed folks, in general, tend to favor the ESV. Could be that she's following her headship here or that she just wanted a different translation and finally had the freedom to look for one, found that and liked it.

10 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

It's cool that she has a bike! She's getting exercise when she wants to go somewhere (at least she was, when she had a tire). Maybe that's why she's wearing pants now-- its hard to ride a bike in a long skirt.

That's why what we Dutchies call 'skirt saddles' exist! I have one on my bike myself, because I wear skirts a lot and normal saddles just aren't skirt friendly. However, since bikes have been the main mode of transportation here (for both men and women) since before women were allowed to wear pants, 'skirt saddles' are not abnormal here. Those saddles aren't as pointy as normal saddles; they are more rounded which allows you to cycle while wearing a skirt.

rokken zadels.jpg

I too was really excited at the idea Jinger might have a bike, until people pointed out it was probably NYC - but as a lifelong city girl, I had both a little pang that things like "make sure your chain passes through your front wheel too" is a concept Jinger has probably never met before, as she was banned from doing things like going to university in a city, or even visiting a big city to just walk around with friends sight-seeing. 

But then again...  I'm not a Jeremy fan, but I will always be happy that Jinger wasn't married off to someone in the countryside by JB, and gets to eperience the urban life she always wanted.

On 28-5-2017 at 9:47 PM, Carm_88 said:

Yeah, I don't think that I trust very much that people put on social media. We filter ourselves and put our best face forward to the world. That's fine but it also puts pressure on people because we're not perfect! We'll never have a perfect life. I do have friends that I keep in contact with though via Facebook, so...it's tough. 

Haha, not everybody does that, I hardly ever post on Facebook and recently just posted first house move done, attaching my parents home to the post. We bought a large house, not ridiculous but definitely bigger then average around here. But had to stay with my parents for two months in between. And kind of liked the idea that people think my life was a mess, as it was not. My mom actually got questions about it. 

My boyfriend does the same, posting message that can be interpreted in a sad way. 

I also changed my job situation to unemployed, and actually am a SAHM for the last 2 years my kids are home. A luxury most people i grow up with can't afford. I like the idea that people can look at that and think well my life turned out pretty well compared to hers. 

I don't mind what "they" think as I am pretty happy with my life 

My mum thinks that with how much "internet" popularity there is about JinJer and how people can't get over the fact that she wears pants and that people think Jeremy is "different" that eventually TLC might give Jinger and Jeremy a spin off show even if it's only a few episodes long. She thinks Jeremy is a smooth negotiator and might plant this seed in TLC's head.

Yeah, I'm the same, and yet I still actively use Facebook. I use it to keep in touch with family and friends, participate in discussion groups, get updates from organizations/artists/writers/etc. that I'm interested in, and I find that, for me, it's by far the easiest way to communicate with the people I want to communicate with. I downloaded a Chrome extension that hides all the shit people 'like' and comment on from showing up in my newsfeed - thank God for that extension, because otherwise FB would be entirely unusable to me. Facebook, like most other things, is entirely what you make of it. And if you want to make nothing of it and not use it at all, more power to you. But ego stroking and oversharing is not the only use for social media.

I need this extension right now. Please tell me how to get one. My feed is so cluttered with stuff I don't care about or need to know.

Not an instagram user, so not quite sure how the photo editing works on there, but it really looks to me like Jeremy has done something to that picture of him and Austin. Like he photoshopped in the background or something. Can anyone shed any light on that for me? 

4 hours ago, Trynn said:

I need this extension right now. Please tell me how to get one. My feed is so cluttered with stuff I don't care about or need to know.

If you look at the top of your internet page there should be a little tab that says "APP," click on it and it'll take you to the app page. You can chose which apps you want from there- most of them are free. 

10 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

If you look at the top of your internet page there should be a little tab that says "APP," click on it and it'll take you to the app page. You can chose which apps you want from there- most of them are free. 

There are a lot of ways within Facebook to prune and manage your feed. I am a HUGE fan of right clicking on posts (and notifications of posts) to hide further announcements about them. Also, for some friends who seem to post every 30 minutes--I like to "downgrade" them from "Close Friends" to "Acquaintance" so I won't see as much of their stuff.

4 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

There are a lot of ways within Facebook to prune and manage your feed. I am a HUGE fan of right clicking on posts (and notifications of posts) to hide further announcements about them. Also, for some friends who seem to post every 30 minutes--I like to "downgrade" them from "Close Friends" to "Acquaintance" so I won't see as much of their stuff.

apparently you can un follow someone''s feed but not un follow them 

i have no clue how i did this to a person 

8 minutes ago, nst said:

i have no clue how i did this to a person 

There is this ^ sign at the right upper edge of a post. Click on it and you can do several things. 

OK tried to copy over an instagram photo that Jinger posted but it isn't working -- but it actually made me happy because it seems like the fact that Jeremy likes to read is rubbing off on her.

Is it too much to hope for fiction? He seems to be in the God section...

This seems good about the books. I thought the Duggars didn't believe in libraries...too scary, so this might be interesting. I would think.

5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

This seems good about the books. I thought the Duggars didn't believe in libraries...too scary, so this might be interesting. I would think.

I *think* that's a used bookstore, not a library. I don't see call numbers on the books. Either way, exposure to ideas beyond Gothard/Jim Bob is a good step. Even if those ideas are just a different flavor of fundamentalism, it may lead her to question things she was always told to be true. Once you start examining and rationalizing differences in interpretation of the Bible, it's gets harder to be rigidly narrow minded.

ETA - from one of the signs hanging on the bookshelf, it looks like they were at Nightbird Books in Fayetteville - http://www.nightbirdbooks.com/. I initially thought it might be a Christian bookstore, but the website has not mention of religion. It even has a Maya Angelou quote on the About Us page.

Jinger should read Are there god it's me Margaret and go from there. 

Jeremy lead her to the children's section so she can revisit her childhood normally 

Oh, Jinger, it's sad it took you 23 years and a husband to learn to love books. It's a thing your parents should have introduced you to. 

4 hours ago, nst said:

SUPER HANDY since the election :sigh:

3 hours ago, nst said:

Jinger should read Are there god it's me Margaret and go from there. 

Yesss! And just go on a huge Judy Blume ride! 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Oh, Jinger, it's sad it took you 23 years and a husband to learn to love books. It's a thing your parents should have introduced you to. 

I'm not sad, I'm hopeful and joyful. For all his toxic beliefs, if Jeremy really is turning Jinger into a book lover, he's earned a special place in my heretical heart.

Hmpf. I am all for loving books and I am all for getting introduced to knew things via a spouse. But her wording bugs me. If it weren't books but something we dislike the comments would be all: poor Jinger totally submissive, brainwashed, no own personality...

Whatever. I just hope she has grown to like books. 

4 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Hmpf. I am all for loving books and I am all for getting introduced to knew things via a spouse. But her wording bugs me. If it weren't books but something we dislike the comments would be all: poor Jinger totally submissive, brainwashed, no own personality...

Whatever. I just hope she has grown to like books. 

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and interpret social media posts in the most gracious way possible... I interpreted Jinger's post as saying because she loves Jeremy, and because of his love of books she has been exposed to books/reading, and realized that she loves it. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived