IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 26 - Double Baked Duggars

choralcrusader8613

31 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

Every time I see the phrase "fan fiction," I immediately picture Tina Belcher's books of erotic friend fiction. Too much watching Bob's Burgers and not enough fan fiction reading for me, it seems! 

There is NO SUCH THING as "too much watching Bob's Burgers." :D 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/31/2017 at 1:33 PM, Topaz said:

However I'm an avid reader of historical fiction. Jean Plaidy has sparked an interest in many historical figures and periods and also propelled me on to other fiction writers including Philippa Gregory (hence the unfortunate encounter with the Wideacre trilogy).

Same here, @Topaz. Have you read Edward Rutherfurd? Love his novels Russka, Sarum and London.

Archive of Our Own (AO3) is my favourite site for fanfic -- it's multi-fandom and has a really extensive tagging / search filter system, so finding good stuff is a lot simpler. (And yeah, I read and write a decent amount of it, but in a couple of small fandoms only. Never anything as massive as Harry Potter. I can definitely rec some amazing Young Avengers fics, though.) 

http://archiveofourown.org/media

ETA: And I jus searched for 'duggars' on AO3 and found these two: 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/search?utf8=✓&work_search[query]=duggars

I dare someone to actually try the Supernatural / "Vampire Duggars" crossover and tell me if it's any good. 

13 hours ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

This site is great

Be warned, though: the internet has everything. The great, the good...and the not so good. Discernment is definitely required, hah.

3 hours ago, CuttySark said:

ETA: And I jus searched for 'duggars' on AO3 and found these two: 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/search?utf8=✓&work_search[query]=duggars

I dare someone to actually try the Supernatural / "Vampire Duggars" crossover and tell me if it's any good. 

Oh my god. The first fic is hilarious. The Duggars paint a man's car pink (??), and hilarity ensues. Classic dialogue like

"Wait a minute," Dan replied. "You mean to tell me that my car got vandalized by a pair of goody-goody neat freaks and their 19 kids? That's it, I'm calling the police and having all of your asses arrested!"

"Awww, someone looks like they need a hug!" Jinger blushed. "Let's all cheer him up by giving a group hug!"

Like a family, they all cornered Dan and stretched out their arms to him, giving him a hug. Dan tried his best to fight back, but the power of those hugs were too strong for Dan to fight back. Yet, that still didn't stop him from fighting.

"ICK!" Dan replied. "Get off of me, you greasy hillbillies!"

Hahaha.

Edit: Why does this keep getting downvotes? I just thought it was funny. 

My only response to that fic:

:brainbleach:

and

Spoiler

uqjQEZ1vtBxZK.gif

Just because there's fanfic, doesn't mean it's worth reading.

(actually, often when there's fanfic, it isn't worth reading.  Although there is some AMAZING fanfic out there too)

So a while back in this discussion, @singsingsing mentioned one of the most horrifying and sexually explicit fics out there, Celebrian, Apparently it was a challenge of sorts, only those with the strongest stomachs could read it all the way through, and it was considered an accomplishment to have finished it.

So... what do I win?

1 minute ago, MargaretElliott said:

So... what do I win?

A chance to write something worse?
A sequel to 2 girls 1 cup?

Does anyone else feel like with the Duggars and other fundies in general you get an asymptotic curve of expectations? Like at first you're riding high that THIS ONE WILL BREAK FREE and then as time goes on it seems like none of them will and you are left with low expectations? 

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

Be warned, though: the internet has everything. The great, the good...and the not so good. Discernment is definitely required, hah.

Yes, one does have to sift through the weeds, but it's great for finding fics that I remember the premise but not the title.

1 hour ago, dawbs said:

Just because there's fanfic, doesn't mean it's worth reading.

(actually, often when there's fanfic, it isn't worth reading.  Although there is some AMAZING fanfic out there too)

IDK, it might be just for this line. :pb_lol:

"ICK!" Dan replied. "Get off of me, you greasy hillbillies!"

41 minutes ago, JMO said:

Does anyone else feel like with the Duggars and other fundies in general you get an asymptotic curve of expectations? Like at first you're riding high that THIS ONE WILL BREAK FREE and then as time goes on it seems like none of them will and you are left with low expectations? 

Yes. 

When I watched the first TV specials when all the older children were still in their teens (and wearing identical clothes) I definitely expected one or two of them to break with the family before turning 20. 

Now I don't think that anyone will, except for maybe some of the younger children as JB and Michelle will grow older and perhaps losen their guard when it comes to controlling their offsprings due to dementia caused by trying to remember the names of all the grand-Duggars. 

But I do think that some of them will evolve, in the way we have seen some of the older Duggars wearing different clothes and marrying people that listen to rap music. Perhaps some of the boys will leave home on a permanent basis without getting married, and maybe some of the girls will work and not have hundreds of children. 

On 3/31/2017 at 1:33 PM, Topaz said:

Definitely. Although I might use a stronger word than traces. The protagonist of the third book in the trilogy only has 2 great-grandparents thanks to the level of incest in the story. I got the books expecting a standard historical romance and now, about 10 years after reading, I still want to scrub my brain whenever I think of them. 

I also consider living people to be off-limits for fanfic, although I'm generally not bothered by a quick cameo. However I'm an avid reader of historical fiction. Jean Plaidy has sparked an interest in many historical figures and periods and also propelled me on to other fiction writers including Philippa Gregory (hence the unfortunate encounter with the Wideacre trilogy). I'd never thought of the relationship between living person fanfic and historical fiction about real people. I'm really not sure how to feel about it now.

To be fair...the European royal families have a had a lot of inter-breeding over the past 1000 years. The Habsburgs for example and Queen Victoria's multitudinous grandchildren/great-grandchildren /great-great-grandchildren marriages.

19 hours ago, shiverful said:

Yes. 

When I watched the first TV specials when all the older children were still in their teens (and wearing identical clothes) I definitely expected one or two of them to break with the family before turning 20. 

Now I don't think that anyone will, except for maybe some of the younger children as JB and Michelle will grow older and perhaps losen their guard when it comes to controlling their offsprings due to dementia caused by trying to remember the names of all the grand-Duggars. 

But I do think that some of them will evolve, in the way we have seen some of the older Duggars wearing different clothes and marrying people that listen to rap music. Perhaps some of the boys will leave home on a permanent basis without getting married, and maybe some of the girls will work and not have hundreds of children. 

When I read some of the stories from people that did escape, one was saying that 90% of the children born into ATI eventually left.  I thought that sounded high but I have no real information, just what I see on TV.  So I wonder if people like Jill and Jessa can really keep their kids in total line.  What happens if ATI folds?  Or when Gothard dies?  Will that group get real leadership, enough to keep the people in line?  It appears it's winding down and maybe it's possible we're seeing the worst of it since in this family so much money and fame is at stake that it is extra hard to leave.

4 hours ago, anotherone said:

When I read some of the stories from people that did escape, one was saying that 90% of the children born into ATI eventually left.  I thought that sounded high but I have no real information, just what I see on TV.  So I wonder if people like Jill and Jessa can really keep their kids in total line.  What happens if ATI folds?  Or when Gothard dies?  Will that group get real leadership, enough to keep the people in line?  It appears it's winding down and maybe it's possible we're seeing the worst of it since in this family so much money and fame is at stake that it is extra hard to leave.

I've never really looked in to Bill's life, because, ew, but he isn't married and has no kids? WTF did these people follow this creep?  Anyway I'm sure just like with Scientology when Gothard dies some other creep will come up the ranks and run it.  Maybe that is what Boob and Gil are fighting for power in/of ATI?  Though I think Boob ha Gil in this regard, Gil is too golly gee shucks were as boob has slimy creeper Jerry Fallwell written all over him.  Who is running this thing now that Gothard is 82 and a rapist pedophile pig asshole? 

I can see a lot of people not staying, most of the parents weren't brought up this sheltered and isolated and I can see the kids getting sick of it real quick after a handful of kids each, and saying this is nuts, we have to stop with the kids and start with the raising and making money to feed and clothe them.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Who is running this thing now that Gothard is 82 and a rapist pedophile pig asshole? 

You really have been asleep at the switch on this one. 

Quick bit of background for new members.

Bill Gothard resigned from the Presidency of IBLP over three years ago when serious allegations of sexual abuse were made against him.  He was apparently under the delusion that an internal "investigation" would clear him and he could return to life as usual. 

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2014/03/bill-gothard-resigns-from-iblp-presidency/

Unfortunately, some members of the Board of Directors, namely Dr. Stephen Paine (Chad and Tabitha's father), Gil Bates, and a Pastor David York, staged a coup.  Gothard was permanently banished and a new President, Tim Levendusky, hired.  A lawsuit was filed against both Bill Gothard and IBLP.  Eighteen victims are named in the latest amended version of lawsuit with various allegations of sexual abuse, rape, and unlawful imprisonment among the over 30 charges.

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2015/10/negligence-lawsuit-filed-against-iblp/

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/08/22/lawsuit-against-bill-gothard-and-iblp-amended/

IBLP continues to follow Gothard's teachings religiously, claiming that the man was flawed but the teachings are not.  The unrepentant and brass-faced Bill Gothard continues to decry the actions of the Board of Directors, wants to be back at IBLP, and is attempting to reinvent himself as a leader of' prayer groups for men.

We have plenty of threads on this over in QOS and the lawsuit has been mentioned many times on both the Duggar and Bates subforums.

@Palimpsest thanks, I know what all the groups are what they do and how terrible they are but, I've never really delved into the whose who because, I just don't want to, for some reason, that seems too far down the rabbit hole for me, if that makes sense.

50 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I've never really delved into the whose who because, I just don't want to, for some reason, that seems too far down the rabbit hole for me, if that makes sense.

I can see why some people don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, and I should have added a trigger warning for the link to the law suit above.  It is very difficult reading.

On the other hand, it doesn't really make sense to discuss the show without understanding the context of IBLP and ATI.  IBLP is the non-denominational parachurch.  ATI is just the homeschooling wing of IBLP.  

IBLP is pretty far-reaching and has political connections, even without Gothard at the helm.

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Maybe that is what Boob and Gil are fighting for power in/of ATI?  Though I think Boob ha Gil in this regard, Gil is too golly gee shucks were as boob has slimy creeper Jerry Fallwell written all over him. 

If there ever was a fight, which I doubt because JB Duggar is a lightweight, Gil Bates won categorically.  Gil's good old country boy act is just that - an act.  He is far more powerful within IBLP.  The Duggars are still fairly prominent as speakers, mainly thanks to the TV show, but I doubt that Jim Bob has much influence at the top of the IBLP hierarchy.

6 hours ago, anotherone said:

When I read some of the stories from people that did escape, one was saying that 90% of the children born into ATI eventually left.  I thought that sounded high but I have no real information, just what I see on TV. 

Can you remember who said that and did you see it on Recovering Grace?  I'd like to take a look.

I think the 90% estimate is rather high but it would be good news.  In many ways, the Duggar and Bates offspring are the least likely to leave IBLP.  They are well-off and pampered compared to rank and file members.  Those seem to be the ones who are leaving.

I bought and started to read the book "I Fired God", by Jocelyn Zicherterman, regarding her upbringing in IFB and it was horrifying.  Much of it made me sick to my stomach.  It REALLY gave me a different viewpoint on both the "religion", and in TLC airing a TV show about the cult which makes it seem so benign.

2 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I bought and started to read the book "I Fired God", by Jocelyn Zicherterman, regarding her upbringing in IFB and it was horrifying.  Much of it made me sick to my stomach.  It REALLY gave me a different viewpoint on both the "religion", and in TLC airing a TV show about the cult which makes it seem so benign.

I just finished. I was horrified by it but I couldn't put it down. IFB cults will always be around even after Gothard kicks the bucket some new snake will rear its ugly head..  TLC is complicit in normalizing the abuse.  Strange how much infighting there is between the different cult pockets. Join cult A hates  cult B threatens you with fire and brimstone if you join B. But both A and B agree that cult C is the worst ever.  To me they are all horrid patriarchal  night mares 

When/age do the Duggar (Bates) girls start wearing makeup?

In the early seasons they didn't, not so much Michelle either.

18 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I can see why some people don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, and I should have added a trigger warning for the link to the law suit above.  It is very difficult reading.

On the other hand, it doesn't really make sense to discuss the show without understanding the context of IBLP and ATI.  IBLP is the non-denominational parachurch.  ATI is just the homeschooling wing of IBLP.  

IBLP is pretty far-reaching and has political connections, even without Gothard at the helm.

ed compared to rank and file members.  Those seem to be the ones who are leaving.

I understand all of that, I just never got into the personal side of the characters behind the scenes. I've done quite a bit of study into cults, for school and such. I don't need the real details of this specific cult, because in the end they are all the same, they are about power. money and control of people. Religious cults also throw in misogyny, sexual preying & pedophilia as extra ick factors. Pretty much every cult leader in modern history has these traits somewhere, Warren Jeffs, Bill Gothard, Jim Jones, David Koresh. They prey on lost souls and scare them into submission, the biggest difference with Gothard was he was able to make it seem somewhat mainstream and "normal" hard core religion, he was also more able to see the big picture and patient in seeing his plans come to fruition,  rather than just grabbing those he could and close the gates,  He wanted to take over the country not just a few thousand people. Gothard wasn't a name I had heard when doing my school work back in the early 90's because he hadn't be around that long. But yeah, the sub-context is the same for all of them the players are just interchangeable. So the players don't mean anything to me. 

Lately, watching the Duggars is as a bit more exciting than watching paint dry but less exciting than watching for signs that April the giraffe is about to give birth.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived