IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 26 - Double Baked Duggars

choralcrusader8613

I had a hysterectomy in early 1986. It was scheduled during my first period after my youngest was born. So my son was about 6 weeks old. Mr. Butt had to be at the initial appointment with me and he had to sign the consent (give his approval) for the surgery. This was in Oklahoma.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needing "permission" to do something with our bodies seems insane to me. I think, if married or committed, both parties should be on board with the decision for a vasectomy or tubes tied. But signing consent? @Chickenbutt I hope that law has changed since 1986. 

I'm in FL and my husband did not have to sign anything at all when I had my tubes tied in 2000.  I was 22 and had to do a "counseling" session where we discussed the effective rate of a reversal procedure, what I would do if something happened to my husband or one of my children and so on and then they made me wait 6 months from the time my youngest was actually born but my hubby didn't even have to attend the counseling. 

I believe that I had to sign a consent form when Mr. Fortress had his vasectomy about 12 years ago.  It felt odd--sort of old fashioned in a way.   I think it would be weird if he had to sign off for me to have my tubes tied. I don't know if it was a state law or the doctor's policy.

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I don't know if it was a state law or the doctor's policy.

I suppose a lot of cases where the spouse is required to sign a consent form it might be the doctor's/clinic's/hospital's policy and not a law. Anything to prevent lawsuits, right?

One of our local urologists promoted men getting vasectomies during March Madness, so that the men had a good reason to stay home and watch basketball. I guess it might take their minds off any pain or discomfort while they recovered. :confusion-shrug:

1 hour ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

Saw this on Pickles and not sure if this has been discussed here yet.

Josh is being sued by Matt McCarthy for using his image on Ashley Madison. Court date is set for May 15.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/josh-duggar-ashley-madison-lawsuit-128326

ETA: I see this was already posted in the Anna and the M Kids thread. Carry on!

My first thought when I saw that post by Pickles was, "Of course InTouch releases this on a Wednesday. It's perfect for Happy Hump Day!"

2 hours ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

Josh is being sued by Matt McCarthy for using his image on Ashley Madison. Court date is set for May 15.

@Ralar posted it here:

I'm surprised more on here aren't talking about it!

9 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Interesting, My husband had a vasectomy when I was pregnant with our 3rd (and last!) baby. I did not go with him to either of his pre op appts. or sign anything. He had to have his done under general anesthesia so I did drive him to the hospital and pick him up/get all the post op instructions and meds, but that is all. My sister had her tubes tied a few years back and I know her husband didn't have to sign anything either. We live in different states.

I had my tubes tied thirty-three years ago, this past January (following the birth of my youngest). I was the only one who signed for it.

8 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

We're in SC, which probably makes a difference.  He didn't have general anesthesia, either, lol. Just a local numbing shot & and ice pack afterwards. But several couples we went to church with had tubals or vasectomies around the same time & the spouse always had to sign consent forms. Plus we all got the speech from the doctor about "Are you sure? What if something happens to one of your kids?" Like a new child will replace the one that dies. And doctors around here, at least back then, were very resistant to doing either procedure if you were childless, only had one child, or were under 30.

We were under 30 when Dh had his done and the urologist he went to didn't usually do it under general, but Dh had some other circumstances that made it the better option for him.  At the time we had several people ask us if we were sure or how we would feel if we had lost a child and it irritated the heck out of me. We had 3 miscarriages and an early stillbirth along with our 3 living children. Another pregnancy or child doesn't fill the hole that is there for the ones that are missing. 

I do think married couples should come to an agreement on the number of children and whatever birth control methods are used but I don't think the government or doctors/clinics have any business policing that. 

I was not offended when the doctor asked Mr. Butt to sign the consent. I too don't know if it was a law or the doctors preference. I can understand the doctors fear of lawsuits. Mr. Butt and I had discussed it at length and it was a decision we both came to and agreed to. I never felt like Mr. Butt was giving his "permission". I would hope that I would be consulted if he were going to have a procedure that would impede my ability to have children. But, that's just me, YMMV.

I remember my doc saying that DH had to sign permission if I wanted my tubes tied and did not for an IUD (we were separated at the time).  I took the IUD.  Im in Illinois and this was about 7 years ago.  DH and I got back together about a year later and he's still promising me a vasectomy.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:37 AM, FeministShrew said:

We're in SC, which probably makes a difference.  He didn't have general anesthesia, either, lol. Just a local numbing shot & and ice pack afterwards. But several couples we went to church with had tubals or vasectomies around the same time & the spouse always had to sign consent forms. Plus we all got the speech from the doctor about "Are you sure? What if something happens to one of your kids?" Like a new child will replace the one that dies. And doctors around here, at least back then, were very resistant to doing either procedure if you were childless, only had one child, or were under 30.

I'm also in SC.I had my tubal ligation,after my third son,almost 32 years ago,when I was 24.I do believe Mr.Melon had to sign when I had my tubal.I had to wait until the next day because the operating room had emergency surgery.There is a Catholic Hospital here,too.I was told that a tubal ligation at that hospital would be denied.And I can't tell you how many people tried to talk me out of it...from my doctor ,nurses,operating room staff the next day...I kept hearing it was a "shame" and I could still change my mind. And I assume it was because of my age,but I still knew I did not want another baby.

Josh needs to get in line for this.

A male contraceptive gel has been found to work reliably in a trial in primates, bringing the prospect of an alternative form of birth control for humans closer.

The product, called Vasalgel, is designed to be a reversible and less invasive form of vasectomy and in the latest study was 100% effective at preventing conception. A blob of the gel is injected into the sperm-carrying tube, known as the vas deferens, and acts as a long-lasting barrier.

Previous tests in smaller animals showed the procedure could be easily reversed by flushing the material out with a simple sodium bicarbonate solution.

Josh could look people in the eye and say that he didn't get a vasectomy, God must have decided that they have enough children for now.  And he could silently tell himself that God must have answered at least one of his prayers by sending him the knowledge that there is a non-surgical form of male contraceptive that is reversable if desired.

Until then, if Josh refuses to come out and admit that he wants no more children, he needs to monitor Anna's chart as closely as she does, and either develop a lot of headaches or become skillful at putting on a condom on the sly.  I hear he's good at being sly.

@Flossie I was almost going to say it would be perfect, because Josh IS a primate! But then I remembered primates are usually very intelligent... so I guess it doesn't make sense after all.

On 23/03/2017 at 0:23 PM, busdrivingmom said:

DH and I got back together about a year later and he's still promising me a vasectomy.

Which reminds me of when I was encouraging mr k to have a vasectomy when our youngest was a toddler.  He kept making excuses, so I told him I'd get my tubes tied but he'd need a week off work to look after the kids.  He was booked in for the snip within a week. ;) .  

I have no idea whether I signed any forms (it was 15-16 years ago) , but I had discussed it with the local GP who ran a vasectomy clinic one morning a week, so he knew I was on board.  

I have an aunt who had 4 kids, the last two past age 40 with...some mental defects, the last one very much so. 

And the doctor's still gave her crap about wanting her tubes tied after the last one, all because her deadbeat ex-husband wasn't around to give his consent. 

9 hours ago, Karma said:

Which reminds me of when I was encouraging mr k to have a vasectomy when our youngest was a toddler.  He kept making excuses, so I told him I'd get my tubes tied but he'd need a week off work to look after the kids.  He was booked in for the snip within a week. ;) .  

My husband volunteered to get snipped after I missed a period and we spent a couple of weeks scared that I was pregnant.  This was more than 25 years ago so pregnancy tests weren't as advanced as they are now.  We figured the vasectomy was easier than a tubal. He had it done, was off work for a day or two. Had complications, swelling , pain, etc several weeks later. Went back to the doctor, they had to go back in, take care of a nasty infection, get rid of a blood clot and this time he was off work for 3 weeks. So much for it being easier than a tubal in our case. Having no money coming in for 3 weeks (I was home full-time with 2 toddlers) was no picnic either.

On March 22, 2017 at 11:46 AM, WhoompThereItIs said:

I think that was me; everyone was so deep in the thread drift that they either didn't care or notice. :/ As someone else said above, I don't know why more people aren't talking about it; Josh is going to have to be physically present at a courthouse!

4 minutes ago, Pasta said:

The consensus was that people believe he will settle out of court. 

I hope he does for the sake of his wife and children.

17 minutes ago, Pasta said:

The consensus was that people believe he will settle out of court. 

I agree with that. JB isn't letting the Duggar name get dragged through court. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived