IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

I really like Lydia and Jackson! Lydia was on my name list but my husband didn't like it (Booo) I know many elementary aged Jacksons but I have a soft spot for it, most of them were really sweet. The sad part about teaching preschool is, a lot of great names get tainted by *ahem* difficult students lol.

Working in a school I have several names I really liked that are now ruined. It's also so interesting to look at the classes and see what names are popular in which age group. 

5 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I just wanna squeeze Spurgeon! 

Oh Spurgie, if you only knew how soon things were really going to change once your mom is dealing with you and a newborn. You might get to know your aunts very well.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, goldengrove said:

me too, he's such an adorable little guy :) I thought I saw that they'd cut his curls off, guess not (I'm glad)...

They may have. This is from a few days ago. I hope they didn't! :( 

He is so cute. And looks so happy. It makes me sad that he will be forced in line and become an uneducated cultmember that spreads hate in the name of Jesus. :my_cry:

You can make personalized keychains, coffee cups etc with unusual names.

Beads with favorite colors and letter beads can be beautiful. Solid colored ceramic coffee cups painted with a name then fired in the oven make great gifts. You can google just about anything and get instructions. My grandkids have made keychains and coffee cups for parents and great grandparents for several holidays.

5 hours ago, Cheetah said:

We have an uncommon last name, and my 19 year old daughter's first name is not rare but hasn't been a top-50 name, so between the two she's like the only one of her.  Except... our nephew, who is Dh's brother's son (i.e., same last name) is engaged to a girl with the same first name as my daughter.  I'm not sure if she'll change her last name to ours when they get married next year, but it's kind of funny that DD could end up sharing her name with someone fairly closely related.  

My mom and my grandmother had the same first name and got the same last name when she married my dad. 

My BIL have a name that is gender neutral and did date a girl with the same name for a while. To the great amusement of his siblings. :)

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

They may have. This is from a few days ago. I hope they didn't! :( 

I vaguely recall Jessa saying something along the lines of being reluctant to cut his hair not too long ago. I think she mentioned that people had asked her about his first haircut, but she loves his curls so she wasn't in any hurry to do it. I hope she sticks to her guns.

He is such a cutie!!1

Common/popular names don't always equal personalized stuff though. I have a very 80's name, like 3 in my class every year, and it's spelled the usual way... I never had anything with my name on it because it was always sold out! Now as an adult, I'll occasionally buy something with my name on it, if i see it, lol.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:55 PM, goldengrove said:

e up in the fundie world by marrying a Duggar, at least they are more visible, and I do believe Jeremy was looking for that.  You are right, he just might want a great big ministry, and they will profit from that, I suppose, if it happens.  What I was talking about is the TLC money, and whatever other income there is that might involve the married girls, it's possible that JB holds those purse strings...

It does seem that all three of them want a ministry,  Ben, Jeremy, and Derick.  Isn't there anything else to do, like jobwise?  How come none of the sons want ministries, like JD or even Josh? 

Did we talk about Ben's latest IG post? I guess he's back to Fire and Brimstones. I liked him better when he showed some kindness and tolerance.. ugh. Jesus will come back and slaughter. :tw_grimace:

15895045_1111799285585546_40273624704496

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's practising for the upcoming conference. Are we surprised?

good lord - if people actually pay money to listen to him say this drek - bring some eggs and throw them at him 

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's practising for the upcoming conference. Are we surprised?

Not really. He has to have something to say and it's definitely not going to based on life experience. He's barely hatched! :P 

12 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I too think that Jessa has just lost the remainder of her baby fat. Her face looks narrower now then it did before and that maybe be part of it. Plus the baby, as someone said, may just be lying differently than spurg did. Be interesting to see how it all turns out. Hopefully safely!

I hope she isn't  stupid enough to try another home-birth after her brush with death the last time! I think willfully choosing to give birth at home, and with no doctor around is tantamount to child abuse! You never know what will happen……my sister had undetected lung problems and had to be rushed into the NICU the minute she was born. If she'd been an ambulance ride away from the hospital, she would have died. It's mentally ill how these "pro-life" people love to gamble with their newborns' safety! 

8 hours ago, Casserole said:

I find naming fascinating, and while I don't expect you to share your actual name, could you give name examples? Why is there a difference between classes? Why could a more blue collar working class person not name their child something deemed "higher class" or regal? 

The thing is, for some reason, they just don't, in general. One would assume that there would be more of an inflation of "regal" names over time but it's actually less than what you would expect.

I find naming fascinating, too! My post will probably really long, so sorry about that. I'll try to keep in short.

I believe it's some kind of "secret" code you have to follow to which you only have access if you are part of the higher classes or know someone who did grow up in those circles. But, on the other hand, it's not that big of secret because some names and types of names do show an inflation over time. It's really hard to explain, it's just that you kind of "know" when you hear a name, not only the social class of the parents but also the region within Germany.

E.g. names that are originally English (or French) but used very often for newborns are Mandy, Kevin, René, Chantalle, Chayenne, Josephine, Mike (as shortform of Michael) (My first name is part of this group).... These names, most of the time, show a working class background plus: the region the parents originate from is most probably east Germany. So if you hear a German person named with an English or French first name and a typical German last name, they would have face to face some prejudice here in Germany. (Maybe you know the band Tokyo Hotel. They come from an east German town and the twins are named Bill and Tom, both names of English origine (it would be Wilhelm and Thomas instead if you use the German versions, Tom and Thomas are probably international anyway)).

I can only speak for east and south Germany, though, because those are the regions where I lived and grew up.

Right now, typical middle class names would be the "first names are nicknames" thing, e.g. Mia (Maria), Elisa (Elisabeth), Ben (Benjamin), Jonas (Johannes),  and very oldfashioned names, e.g. Jakob, Karl (German Charles), Benedikt (became popular because of the pope),... These names show an inflation though. I would say that the babies that are named with nicknames now have a more lower middle class background whereas the oldfashioned names are more upper middle class. 10 years ago, nicknames would have been also upper middle class, so I'll predict an inflation of the old fashioned names towards the lower middle class and working classes, too.

Now, with upper classes, I don't really kow, because I'm not part of it. A lot of parents from the middle class try to name their child with an upper class name in order to give him a good start in life. But this can be very tricky because it is difficult to pick a name that doesn't sound like a wannabe and won't show in inflation in the future (which is difficult to predict!).

To be safe, I would pick either an old family name that has been in the family for generations, or a very regional classic name, e.g. Severin or Alois in bavarian Germany, or a royal/regal name like Victoria, Maria, Theresa, Sophia, Katherina, Elisabeth...but the regal names, too, will probably show some form of inflation in the future, I think. Another possibility would be naming your child a counter cycle name, that means a name that is very much out of fashion right now. Usually, those are names that were en vogue 30-40 years ago. AT least, then you are safe from inflation your child won't be one of 5 kids in the class with the same name ;-).

Phew! I hope this doesn't come across as a total rant :-)

6 hours ago, cptbailey said:

Did we talk about Ben's latest IG post? I guess he's back to Fire and Brimstones. I liked him better when he showed some kindness and tolerance.. ugh. Jesus will come back and slaughter. :tw_grimace:

15895045_1111799285585546_40273624704496

I mean, all this makes me think is that I should check out the Christian metal scene because I'm sure that this particular verse would spawn some fantastic death/power metal songs (actually, Ben getting into death metal would be slightly less pathetic than his foray into hip hop).

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I mean, all this makes me think is that I should check out the Christian metal scene because I'm sure that this particular verse would spawn some fantastic death/power metal songs (actually, Ben getting into death metal would be slightly less pathetic than his foray into hip hop).

LOL!! I wish there was a laugh button 

13 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Working in a school I have several names I really liked that are now ruined. It's also so interesting to look at the classes and see what names are popular in which age group. 

Oh Spurgie, if you only knew how soon things were really going to change once your mom is dealing with you and a newborn. You might get to know your aunts very well.

Did we ever see the cutest pictures of Jennie or Jordyn or who's the third?  I don't remember seeing baby pictures of them much.  Even when it's like the 17th they're still cute and she should have shown them off.

Did we ever see the cutest pictures of Jennie or Jordyn or who's the third?  I don't remember seeing baby pictures of them much.  Even when it's like the 17th they're still cute and she should have shown them off.

Johanna is the third lost girl. And no not much in the way of them being cute, they really were just a number by that point.

7 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I believe it's some kind of "secret" code you have to follow to which you only have access if you are part of the higher classes or know someone who did grow up in those circles. But, on the other hand, it's not that big of secret because some names and types of names do show an inflation over time. It's really hard to explain, it's just that you kind of "know" when you hear a name, not only the social class of the parents but also the region within Germany.

I get this. I think if you live in any country with a defined class system ( A lot of Western Europe ) then you're going to have something similar going on.  In Ireland, old fashioned, Irish, and family names have made a huge comeback for middle and upper class families, whereas people of the lower classes will often name their children  after whoever is topping the charts, the latest soap star or a makey uppy type name.

Reading back on this, I realise I may sound incredibly uppity. I assure you, that's not my intent at all.

11 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

I hope she isn't  stupid enough to try another home-birth after her brush with death the last time! I think willfully choosing to give birth at home, and with no doctor around is tantamount to child abuse! You never know what will happen……my sister had undetected lung problems and had to be rushed into the NICU the minute she was born. If she'd been an ambulance ride away from the hospital, she would have died. It's mentally ill how these "pro-life" people love to gamble with their newborns' safety! 

I'm sure she's going to. Jill will, too. 

On 1/7/2017 at 11:13 PM, VixenToast said:

Ignore the box. I couldn't get it to go away. 

This isn't Seewald related, but it is about Flame so I assumed I could put it here. Anyone else listen to top 40 music? Well, there's this song that is popular by this artist called Flume and the first time I saw the info on my XM radio, I swear I nearly had a heart attack because I thought it said Flame. I was like "No way is Flame on top 40 radio!!!" 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived