IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

25 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't quite get baby showers, but the problem most of you seem to have with second baby showers is because is a gift grab, but thi shower was giftless. What's wrong with having a party to celebrate yout new baby?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think it's fine to have a party to celebrate any and all babies as long as you aren't doing it for the gifts. Like a previous poster said, a lot of people do "sprinkles" which are just small showers where gifts aren't expected. I think that's cute.

I honestly am more hung up on the fact that there were 130 people at this "shower". I would honestly be kind of sad to be a Duggar because they can't just have small, intimate affairs with close family and friends.* It's always a big production with tons of people. It must get exhausting.

*Edit to clarify: There are lots of better reasons to be sad to be a Duggar, that's just one small one that would particularly bother me.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree on the sprinkle/no second shower at all, unless there are special circumstances (a large age gap, or multiples). My cousin had twin girls about three years after her first, and we had a second shower because they needed another of pretty much everything. 

When my SIL was pregnant with her first, I planned the shower for family and friends, and my MIL threw a church shower benefiting our local domestic violence shelter. I thought it was great. They're both social butterflies, and she already had everything she needed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a second shower. If you have kids far apart or maybe you're having a second shower for diapers or if you want to give the gifts to a good cause. The reason that Jessa is doing this is most likely not from the bottom of her heart. She's doing to because TLC wanted to film a second shower and they wanted to drum up interest in the show.

All Duggar parties, whether they're bb showers, engagement parties, holiday celebrations or bachelorette nights, seem kinda the same: invite the same 30 people and their darling kids to the TTH, serve up some goop that's easy to make in bulk, take cutesy-poo photos. You'd think either they'd get bored of it or the dumb-dumbs watching them on TLC would get bored of it, but everyone is seemingly very happy to rehearse the same song-and-dance every other week.

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Speaking of baby showers, Michelle never had any right? I was trying to recall.

Also definitely agreement with multiple baby showers unless it's a large age gap or having opposite sexes.I was thinking about multiples though, like I know my mom had two, but only had a second one because with me and my brother being twins it was her first/only time having a boy.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if she just ended up having up to baby #19 babyshowers.

We only saw Michelle after what, number 14? I'd say any shower at that point was excessively tacky!!  So, likely no.

25 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

All Duggar parties, whether they're bb showers, engagement parties, holiday celebrations or bachelorette nights, seem kinda the same: invite the same 30 people and their darling kids to the TTH, serve up some goop that's easy to make in bulk, take cutesy-poo photos. You'd think either they'd get bored of it or the dumb-dumbs watching them on TLC would get bored of it, but everyone is seemingly very happy to rehearse the same song-and-dance every other week.

I suppose because it's a break from the everyday "routine." I doubt the Duggars still schedule their day, but I would bet many of their friends do. And none of them seem like they really do much socializing other than parties (except after church, I guess, but that isn't quite the same). 

I have a pretty small circle myself and all our parties and get togethers are pretty much the same every time, so I guess it just doesn't seem all that weird to me. 

2 hours ago, nst said:

it looks like a really lame shower - no barn - just at the TTH

Izzy and Spud were there

and a bunch of humpers

no sign of Michelle - I wonder where Michelle during these events - no doubt coming up with great synopsis of her children when they have their birthday's cue the twins who are 27

Where did you see more pictures? I just found the one on this leghumper's IG. Where did the figure of 130 guests come from? They had about that many at the barn shower. And how do we know it was no gifts? I am missing a huge chunk of the narrative here. :D

Back off topic. 

In elementary school, I was in a group of friends consisting of two Stephanie's and two Lindsay's, and our last names started with either an S or a T. So there was Stephanie S., Stephanie T., Lindsay S., and Lindsay T. We thought this was the coolest thing ever :my_rolleyes: 

Also, growing up I remember being so mad my parents didn't give me a tryndy spelling of my name. Now as an adult, I'm very grateful they didn't :my_smile:

10 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Where did you see more pictures? I just found the one on this leghumper's IG. Where did the figure of 130 guests come from? They had about that many at the barn shower. And how do we know it was no gifts? I am missing a huge chunk of the narrative here. :D

Lilly and Ellie just posted about the baby shower. It's got lots of pictures: http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2017/01/jessa-seewalds-baby-shower.html 

Although it looks like many of them may have effectively come from the TLC site: http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/jessa-seewalds-baby-shower-for-her-second-child/

And US Weekly: http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/jessa-duggar-celebrates-baby-shower-with-130-guests-pics-w460728

With, of course, the requisite dual-pregancy pic with both Jessa and Jill. 

Jessa and Jill.JPG

A couple more pictures from the shower under the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Looks like Jinger wasn't there.

ETA: @metheglyn was quicker and had the better links. WTF:

During the shower, the ladies put together care packages (a pen, a devotional book, and other treats) for the women at the pregnancy center.

What could women at a pregnancy crsis center possibly need? Oh, I KNOW: A pen and a devotional book!! Hopefully somebody brought a giant-ass stuffed bear that they won at a freaking carnival too!

Looks like Anna is wearing bright turquoise in the pics....I can't seem to zoom in to look more closely though.

Gack, 130 people is crazy!!! I wouldn't know 130 women to invite in the first place!

The blog says that Jessa's due February 2nd. 

And of course Joy is wearing a Texas t-shirt. 

spurgeon.png

Spurge is adorable, as always.

33 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

With, of course, the requisite dual-pregancy pic with both Jessa and Jill. 

Jessa and Jill.JPG

Jill looks thrilled to be less pregnant than Jessa. 

I think Mikayla isn't *that* close to the youngers name. Maybe I'm the only one. I could just have a skewed view because I know a family who named their kids, in order: Brandon, Brandy, Randy.

My SIL has two older brothers, Daniel and Paul. She was born 5 years after Paul and is named Danielle Paula. (not their real names, but you get the idea)

I can't criticize too much because my name is a name that ends with -lyn (after my aunt Lynn), and my stepmother named my half-sister using Lynn as the middle name. If that wasn't repetitive enough, she used my brother's middle name as my half-brother's first name. Replace the older kids, much?

Jill looks thrilled to be less pregnant than Jessa. 

Haha and Jessa looks thrilled to be more pregnant than Jill!

In the picture that shows the full dining room table isn't that Anna in the background on the right with the dark red white dotted sweater?

Oooh, I love the name discussions! I'm on page 9 or something, and starting to think Jessa and Ben should read here - or not! No Tozer please - if they are out of ideas:P 

My first name and middle name both have Hebrew origins. My Christian parents picked them because they are Biblical. I like them, but sometimes I wish their origins were non-religious... I'm just not very fond of the Bible ;)  I feel like I got an overdose on Christianity as a kid, so today I have a low tolerance for any religious stuff (I'm sorry if this comes off as offensive!), however innocent and well-meaning it is. 

I'm still debating on weather or not to do a shower for my 2nd. I'm having a boy this time and got rid of literally everything right after my daughter grew out of it so I'm definitely starting from scratch, but it feels tacky. Conversely, my SIL had 2 baby showers with her 4th so different strokes I guess, 

28 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

In the picture that shows the full dining room table isn't that Anna in the background on the right with the dark red white dotted sweater?

I don't think so. It looks like the girl that was photographed walking with...Joe?...at Jinger's wedding. 

7 hours ago, marmalade said:

Back on topic, yeah, I know, it looks like Jessa had a baby shower. Isn't that kind of gauche to have showers for subsequent kids? Ah well, it IS Jessa of the $30k wedding registry. Keep on grifting, Jessa. Keep on. 

And before anyone says that someone threw it for her, she could have easily declined the offer. 

Now ( from what I have heard, a second baby shower is called a "SPRINKLE".  Anything for a gift...

40 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I zoomed in on that one, because I thought the same, it's not her.

Look in bigger picture around counter and she is wearing turquoise I think.

41 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

On the blog, you can make the pictures fairly large. Not her.

As for baby showers...I think 1 is enough. I could see a 2nd one if there was a 10+ year gap between kids or something. But that's it. Unless it's just a party without gifts or something.

I typically give a small gift to close family for every pregnancy. Just a little outfit or something cute. It's not expected or anything but I like baby stuff.

5 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Totally agree with you. I hope it's not a girl. And of course Jessa will be all smug about a crisis center. I'm sure they shame the women who go there even as they pressure them. 

For dumb names, I know twins named Michael and Michaella. It bothers me when basically the same name is given!

There was a mom in my twin moms club that named her boys Brandon and Brendon.  That bothered me so much that I couldn't even talk to her.  (I mean I occasionally made small talk when it would be rude not to but I always made an excuse not to sit near here or be on any committees with her.)

19 minutes ago, carebaer said:

There was a mom in my twin moms club that named her boys Brandon and Brendon.  That bothered me so much that I couldn't even talk to her.  (I mean I occasionally made small talk when it would be rude not to but I always made an excuse not to sit near here or be on any committees with her.)

My cousin named her boys Bryan and Ryan. They're not even twins, and are quite a few years apart. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived