IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

8 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I've read about the tendency for names of the upper class to gradually filter down and become associated with lower class over a period of like a decade. So in 10 years Charlotte will likely be considered trashy. But it gets to a tipping point where upper class no longer uses it anymore. 

This has probably been discussed  but there is the tendency for names to be overused during a certain generation and then they fall out of use as there are a ton of them. This is why you meet a ton of Jessicas and Lindsays of a certain age but no one names there kids that any more. These are the equivalents of the Mildred's and Barbara's of old. However it usually skips a generation and people will pick the names back up again. This is why "old fashioned names" like Pearl and Daisy are back in style. Its always been a trend to skip a generation and return to use.

I think some of that might also be that people named Pearl/Daisy/etc. are "grandma age" now, or were "grandma age" and died of old age, so they're getting honored in new babies' names.

I also find regional variations in naming really interesting; how did (Name)-Bob/Lee/Sue/Mae/Ray become such a Southern thing? I'm from the Northeast, and the only non-Southerners I know with hyphenated first names are Taiwanese, French, or Haitian (because of the whole French colonization thing) -- though those hyphenation conventions are completely different.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Names names names!!!! Gotta love thread drift. Here, kids with english names tend to be from lower class background. There are a ton of Jessicas and Jennifers between the ages of 25 and 10. I know of a singer whose legal name is Jennifer Jessica (the poor thing goes by something else). Kevins are also common, and badly considered also. Lower claseses also tend to go for more yoonique names, those you can see them a mile away.

There are certain names with wich you know a kid goes skiing, wears lacoste polos, goes to a bilingual school in wich he won't even learn his own language, example every Borja on this earth. Usually just upper middle class, but daddy and mommy like to think themselves as worthy of going on a shopping spree with the queen

As for middle and upper clases,  the trend right now is classical names, like Paula, Daniel, or Juan. Old timey names are also coming back.

Back on topic, yeah, I know, it looks like Jessa had a baby shower. Isn't that kind of gauche to have showers for subsequent kids? Ah well, it IS Jessa of the $30k wedding registry. Keep on grifting, Jessa. Keep on. 

And before anyone says that someone threw it for her, she could have easily declined the offer. 

9 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Back on topic, yeah, I know, it looks like Jessa had a baby shower. Isn't that kind of gauche to have showers for subsequent kids? Ah well, it IS Jessa of the $30k wedding registry. Keep on grifting, Jessa. Keep on. 

And before anyone says that someone threw it for her, she could have easily declined the offer. 

Her dress/tunic is so SHORT! She looks, dare I saw it adorable, in a tunic and leggings. And she's still modest. 

43 minutes ago, marmalade said:

But it's a plot line. She couldn't refuse.  It was in her contract.

32 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I was just having a conversation with someone about how appropriate it is to have more than one baby shower. I believe it was determined that it was acceptable if:

a. there is a huge time gap between the last baby and the new one; not absurdly big, but enough for the parents to have given away/thrown out their old baby stuff (5+ years). Bonus points if the baby's unexpected. And/or....

b. it is the parents' first [insert gender here], regardless of how many children they already have. So if a family has three boys (showering the first) and are then finally having a girl, they can have a baby shower. The logic is that they can then receive "girl stuff", because all the boy stuff they got the first time around could have been re-purposed twice with the second and third sons. (Which is why multiple baby showers usually aren't necessary.)

Sooooooo...

Bear in mind that the Duggars are tacky and that Jessa is sort of a princess who would be the type to throw twelve baby showers for herself. But a second baby shower could also mean Jessa's having a girl.

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think some of that might also be that people named Pearl/Daisy/etc. are "grandma age" now, or were "grandma age" and died of old age, so they're getting honored in new babies' names.

I also find regional variations in naming really interesting; how did (Name)-Bob/Lee/Sue/Mae/Ray become such a Southern thing? I'm from the Northeast, and the only non-Southerners I know with hyphenated first names are Taiwanese, French, or Haitian (because of the whole French colonization thing) -- though those hyphenation conventions are completely different.

The southern hyphenated name trends may also reflect influence from French colonization? Like early influence in areas like Louisiana that then spread to other southern states but never made it past the mason Dixon line?

4 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I was just having a conversation with someone about how appropriate it is to have more than one baby shower. I believe it was determined that it was acceptable if:

a. there is a huge time gap between the last baby and the new one; not absurdly big, but enough for the parents to have given away/thrown out their old baby stuff (5+ years). Bonus points if the baby's unexpected. And/or....

b. it is the parents' first [insert gender here], regardless of how many children they already have. So if a family has three boys (showering the first) and are then finally having a girl, they can have a baby shower. The logic is that they can then receive "girl stuff", because all the boy stuff they got the first time around could have been re-purposed twice with the second and third sons. (Which is why multiple baby showers usually aren't necessary.)

Sooooooo...

Bear in mind that the Duggars are tacky and that Jessa is sort of a princess who would be the type to throw twelve baby showers for herself. But a second baby shower could also mean Jessa's having a girl.

I see a lot of second baby showers  (hell, I had one, but he was a boy (had a girl first) and we had to WORK to get him here), but also, instead of baby oriented gifts, it's about pampering mom more.... plus it celebrates the new child coming. 

NOw...when you are on upwards of 4-5 , it gets a bit much, I think, but 1 or 2 isn't bad.

Yeah, @karen77's right.  Usually a shower for a second baby is a casserole shower unless the second baby is not of the same sex as Baby #1.  It's tacky otherwise.

according to us magazine.com all gifts went to loving choices pregnancy centre 

never heard of it 

and she had it at TTH - big surprise 

and a 130 people showed up 

In Duggarland, where it's all about the breeding, obviously they're going to throw parties for every single pregnancy. I would get so sick of it. Baby showers are the worst.

The Loving "Choices" Pregnancy Center is one of those "crisis" pregnancy centers that don't support all options.  It never occurs to them that some women might consider abortion the loving choice.

I used to frequent a baby/parenting forum and then general consensus was that having multiple showers is tacky, period. (Not necessarily my opinion, just the general board consensus over there). A few people did say they saw no problem if baby #1 was a boy and the next baby was a girl, or vice versa, in which most parents would want to get new stuff, particularly clothes. I wonder if it's a hint baby #2 is a girl?

I think the "Miss Manners" technical rule is that you don't have a a shower after the first baby, no matter what the sex is of consecutive children or how long you wait to have the next one. But most people know their families and friends and what will fly with them.

I think Mikayla isn't *that* close to the youngers name. Maybe I'm the only one. I could just have a skewed view because I know a family who named their kids, in order: Brandon, Brandy, Randy.

I really hope the baby shower doesn't mean a girl. I think Jessa/TLC would have one regardless for filming and pretend its totally normal, and CPCs *totally* will help struggling mothers with the blessings that they are pressured into birthing.

When we have second baby showers here we refer to them as "sprinkles". Usually just immediate family and very close friends for a luncheon.

They are usually smaller and we have them if the sex of the second baby is different or there has been a long gap between children.

But they are just donating to that "charity", right no gifts. 

And, what else do those women have to do? "Hey, let's have a baby thingie for....Jesssa, she's pregnant, right?" 

And something to be filmed for TLC. They all just make babies or plan on that in the future, when they are rightfullyMarried. 

28 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I think Mikayla isn't *that* close to the youngers name. Maybe I'm the only one. I could just have a skewed view because I know a family who named their kids, in order: Brandon, Brandy, Randy.

I really hope the baby shower doesn't mean a girl. I think Jessa/TLC would have one regardless for filming and pretend its totally normal, and CPCs *totally* will help struggling mothers with the blessings that they are pressured into birthing.

Totally agree with you. I hope it's not a girl. And of course Jessa will be all smug about a crisis center. I'm sure they shame the women who go there even as they pressure them. 

For dumb names, I know twins named Michael and Michaella. It bothers me when basically the same name is given!

1 hour ago, Stormy said:

Sooooooo...

Jessa has kept the sex a secret. She said she wasn't going to tell ANYONE this time. 

And YAAAAS! I forgot TLC. D'oh! 

Jessa just has sooo many friends that love her and want to throw her a shower, TLC I mean she HAD to say yes. Ugh.

Speaking of baby showers, Michelle never had any right? I was trying to recall.

Also definitely agreement with multiple baby showers unless it's a large age gap or having opposite sexes.I was thinking about multiples though, like I know my mom had two, but only had a second one because with me and my brother being twins it was her first/only time having a boy.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if she just ended up having up to baby #19 babyshowers.

I had a diaper shower for my second (arrived 16 months after the first and was the same gender). I tried to decline a shower but my cousin and best friend wanted to do something to celebrate the new kid. We had it after the baby was born and it gave everyone a chance to meet to new baby. I thought it was really lovely and would go to one of those (and bring a pack of diapers) any day.

it looks like a really lame shower - no barn - just at the TTH

Izzy and Spud were there

and a bunch of humpers

no sign of Michelle - I wonder where Michelle during these events - no doubt coming up with great synopsis of her children when they have their birthday's cue the twins who are 27

I don't quite get baby showers, but the problem most of you seem to have with second baby showers is because is a gift grab, but thi shower was giftless. What's wrong with having a party to celebrate yout new baby?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived