IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

On 09/01/2017 at 0:21 AM, season of life said:

If I ever have kids, I would want something sort of unique but not crazy enough to cause them problems.

Then again, very few names top Spurgeon Seewald.

I watched the first episode of The Voice UK on Saturday and their was a girl on the show called Truly Scrumptious after The song in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I was her real name not a stage name. The presenter was trying to keep a straight face interviewing the girls mother. At least Spud has a normal middle name to use.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Hello VelociRapture, hope you are all well?

Glad you chose Anna, it's a beautiful name and is our girl family name. My nana was a beautiful person and the first Anna that I know about in our family although my Great-grandmother may have been Anna also. 

Best wishes.

Aw! Thank you! We're doing much better than when she first was born. She just hit one month old on January fifth. Currently looking forward to that first super sweet smile soon.  :) 

44 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I watched the first episode of The Voice UK on Saturday and their was a girl on the show called Truly Scrumptious after The song in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I was her real name not a stage name. The presenter was trying to keep a straight face interviewing the girls mother. At least Spud has a normal middle name to use.

That poor girl.  The name envisions (to me) nipple tassels and go-go boots.

8 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Lots of thoughts after reading all the names stuff because as a sub teacher, I deal with a new list of names nearly every day that I work:

Scarlet/t: One of the preschools I sub in currently has four Scarlet/t s. Two with two t's and two with one t. 

Anakin: A third grade class I've subbed in several times this year has an Anakin. My brother's question: "Are you tempted to call him Darth?". Yes, yes, I am, as he can be a lot of trouble. As can his classmate who is named Damian. Perhaps this is not a coincidence. 

Last names as first names: Half the kids on most class lists right now read as two last names with names like Paxton (whose last name starts with P and ends with -son, so that just sounds weird), Reagan/Regan, Madison, (about 6th and up there are always multiple Madisons), Morgan, Carson, Cooper and so on. One school has two girls named Presley in their senior class which is odd as I've never heard it elsewhere nor does the Social Security site show it ever having a spike in popularity. 

Primary age there are more boys with traditional names like Wesley, Henry, Charles, Matthew, Michael, Sam/Samuel, Max, Luke/Lucas, etc... but girls have more trendy names, last names as first names, names from pop culture (Elsa, Isabella/Bella, Emma). There are a few names I associate with people born in the 60s or 70s popping up for girls in PreK and K now--Monica, Melinda and Melanie are three I've seen recently. Names I'm not seeing in primary as much now are the girl K names that filled my class lists the last years I worked full time--Katie, Kara, Katelyn, Kylie, Katherine, Kelsey, etc...multiply the Katies and Karas by at least two, plus the others and you had half my class lists in any section for awhile there, but those name are not as frequent at all now. For boys, the "den" names are fading, see below. 

There are always weird names that make me think there is a misprint on the list. My current favorite is Bevin. The boy proudly informed me that it was chosen to rhyme with his dad's name: Kevin. 

There was a period where Aidan or anything ending in that was the thing for boys, so I see Aidan, Hayden, C/Kayden, Jayden, Brayden....usually some combination of two or three in all grades but preK to 1st (those grades still may have one), so I think it may be falling out of fashion. There are now girls named Aidan, Hayden and Jayden, though, but I've never met a girl named Kayden or Brayden, yet. I assume it is coming. 

Not using first name or using different name: My first year of teaching, I had a student named Elizabeth Christine who was called Katie. No explanation was ever given for that. In Catholic school, I had multiple Marys who went by middle names. In two cases, it was tradition in the mother's family that firstborn girls be named Mary, but they all went by middle names because these were large families with Marys all over the family tree. My favorite is my great grandmother, who I never knew. As we were told the story, her mother wanted to name her Emma and her father wanted to name her Anna. Her mother won. Sort of . She was named Emma Annetta. But her father insisted on only calling her Anna and it stuck. Her gravestone even says Anna. I have a cousin named Ann after her and a second cousin named Emma after her. So it has given the descendants some flexibility, anyway, lol. 

And bad last name combos: A cousin has a daughter named Emma. The first syllable of their last name is "Emm". Makes me cringe. I also cringe at the compulsion multiple people I know who have two syllable last names ending in "en" or "an" have had to give their children two syllable first names ending in "en" or "an". I actually know of four different couples who did this. To all of their children. On purpose. 

Hey, I'm a Kelsey! lol. And I had two other Kelsey's in my graduating class with me. Odd enough, when I took a college course there were even two Kelsey Ann's!

Weighing in on names: my sons names are Michael and Alexander (one of them picked his own name), my daughter's name is Rhiannon. My name is Dante/Danae-it depends on which Aunt you ask-birth certificate says Dante. My middle name is more common and for awhile in high school, I went by it.

18 hours ago, sndral said:

I am currently embroidering a Christmas stocking for a baby great niece named Scarlett, love the name, but since I am a very slow embroiderer I half wish she'd been named the one T version thus leaving me w/ one less letter to embroider :)

At my current pace I hope to have her stocking done by the time she starts school (she's currently 5 mo.s old) sigh.

One of my great nieces is named Skarlett.  She doesn't like it when people forget the 2nd T.  (she's 9)

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Well, I found names that have me frowning worse than when I heard/read Spurgeon Elliott.  Thanks, Jensen Ackles and wife.

http://people.com/babies/jensen-ackles-introduces-twins-son-zeppelin-daughter-arrow/

Arrow and Zepplin aren't as bad as Spurgeon though. I think they would be nice middle names though. But I like "out there" middle names. Like their names would be cute if they were something like Charlotte Arrow and Drew Zepplin. 

I'm a pre-k teacher. I have lots of these names in my class- 1 each of Jaiden and Jayden, a Violet, a Kelsey (Ann, at that, lol). We also have a Brayden, a Hayden, a Kayden (boy) and a Kaidyn (girl), as well as a Kaysin (boy). Eleanor, Emma, and Isabel too.

@louisa05, you have me wondering where you are... The Anakin I know is in 3rd grade as well, and handful is putting it nicely, lol

@Chewing Gum, I absolutely meant Anakin... Although I did have a sweet little girl one time whose parents tried to be creative with the spelling of her name, but butchered it, and Miracle became Myrkle, lol...

My son's Cub Scout den has 7 3rd grade boys, and they all have 2 syllable names that more or less end in the "an/on/en" sound

1 hour ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Weighing in on names: my sons names are Michael and Alexander (one of them picked his own name), my daughter's name is Rhiannon. My name is Dante/Danae-it depends on which Aunt you ask-birth certificate says Dante. My middle name is more common and for awhile in high school, I went by it.

Haha my name is Carmelita, I feel the pain on spelling. People spell it with a K. Which I kinda get but I mostly don't. 

29 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Haha my name is Carmelita, I feel the pain on spelling. People spell it with a K. Which I kinda get but I mostly don't. 

I think the first time I heard that name was in A Series of Unfortunate Events, a book series.

1 hour ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Rhiannon. I love it and the song. 

2 minutes ago, season of life said:

I think the first time I heard that name was in A Series of Unfortunate Events, a book series.

Carmelita Spats! She is a robot cowboy fairy princess! Or whatever she said she was lol.

im reading the books to my 6 year old-on-Saturday. :) he is so digging the Count Olaf stories, as he calls them.

and we learn bigger vocab. words, namely because some of them are beyond his scope. But he DID use persuade in a sentence correctly tonight.

On the Duggar fan page there is a photo of Jessa at 36 weeks with both pregnancies.  She does look smaller this pregnancy.  Maybe due to chasing a toddler . 

My second baby was almost a pound smaller than my first.  They were 20 months apart.  My doctor put it down to trying to work, study and chase a toddler with only husbands support.  Family lived 8 hours away.

Carmelita Spats! She is a robot cowboy fairy princess! Or whatever she said she was lol.
im reading the books to my 6 year old-on-Saturday. [emoji4] he is so digging the Count Olaf stories, as he calls them.
and we learn bigger vocab. words, namely because some of them are beyond his scope. But he DID use persuade in a sentence correctly tonight.

Nothing wrong with starting them young :) my mom started reading me Harry Potter when I was 5 at my request. The first book had a pretty color cover and she thought I would get bored with it. It's been 15 years and I haven't yet!

15 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

I have a friend from uni and her twins are called Thor and Odin. Yes, like the Norse gods. By them self I think the names are nice (and so Norwegian) but together it's a little too much. 

Odin was my dog's name. I also doubt many Norwegians actually name their kid Thor. 

7 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

@Chewing Gum, I absolutely meant Anakin... Although I did have a sweet little girl one time whose parents tried to be creative with the spelling of her name, but butchered it, and Miracle became Myrkle, lol...

It's not as bad as Myrackle though. And yes that's supposed to be Miracle. Poor thing, having to live with my-rackle. It's one of the inside jokes of the BNABBT forum from where I came from ;).  

5 hours ago, Percy said:

On the Duggar fan page there is a photo of Jessa at 36 weeks with both pregnancies.  She does look smaller this pregnancy.  Maybe due to chasing a toddler . 

And in Jessa's case, poor nutrition. She had some tater tot pounds to fall back upon with Spurg, but now it's all couscous and bland chicken if she's lucky. 

1 hour ago, Chewing Gum said:

Odin was my dog's name. I also doubt many Norwegians actually name their kid Thor.

There is a Thor in my son's school. I'm not sure if his parents are Norwegian. There is also a sycamore. I normally like nature inspired names like River but I think that would've made a better middle name. 

With my second pregnancy, I gained less weight overall but had a much bigger belly. It was enormous. And the baby was bigger too. I was chasing around a toddler so I didn't gain as much weight but my fetus sucked up all the nutrients he needed, lol.

2 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Well, Thor/Tor is a pretty common name in Norway, but it's mostly older men, but I think it is one of those names that will come back. Thor/Tor is a lot more common than Odin. 

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There is a Thor in my son's school. I'm not sure if his parents are Norwegian. There is also a sycamore. I normally like nature inspired names like River but I think that would've made a better middle name. 

I love nature inspired names! My uncle is called Bjørn (bear) and I've always liked the names Hauk (hawk) or Falk (falcon)

50 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

Well, Thor/Tor is a pretty common name in Norway, but it's mostly older men, but I think it is one of those names that will come back. Thor/Tor is a lot more common than Odin. 

I love nature inspired names! My uncle is called Bjørn (bear) and I've always liked the names Hauk (hawk) or Falk (falcon)

3 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Tor was number 14 on the most used boy names of 2013, Thor number 89. Roundabout 25 000 (of a male population of 2.5 million) have the name Tor as their first or only name.

(Thor is the English spelling of the name of the god, but it is spelled Tor i norwegian).

Spoiler

Just gonna leave this here... 100% real names. Some of them I actually like, others... not so much. Thanks, Utah!

23 hours ago, karen77 said:

I can't stand misspelled non-phoenetic names... my SIL and BIL gave their daughter one, it makes me ragey.

My daughter's name is sorta trendy, but been around a while and it isn't QUITE so popular (Sydney) my son's name is more unique, and you hear it as a last name more often than not, but we like it (Corwin)

I was good friends in high school with this gal, we kind of lost touch after we went to different colleges in different states.  Reconnected with her on FB about 8 years ago she'd just had her 1st kid and her name is Tibangye, my 1st thought was did she just dump a scrabble game on the floor and pick the ones facing up? Then I found it was the little girls grandmothers name, and the grandmother was born in Uganda. I have a hard time when it is a family name no matter how silly it sounds to me, thinking badly of the name.  That said when you spell your daughters name Ayshaia (my husbands niece) and then tell me it's pronounced Asia, and really don't get pissed when people look at you like you are stupid for doing that to your kid. 

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:
  Hide contents

Just gonna leave this here... 100% real names. Some of them I actually like, others... not so much. Thanks, Utah!

:56247958035f1_32(18): This explains Sister Wives kids names then doesn't it. I thought Kristine was just nuts. 

10 hours ago, Percy said:

My second baby was almost a pound smaller than my first.  They were 20 months apart.  My doctor put it down to trying to work, study and chase a toddler with only husbands support.  Family lived 8 hours away.

Seeing as how these Duggar girls seem to have big babies (and that Jessa was the biggest of Michelle's babies), she could still have another 10 pounder in there. Spurge could've just been curled up in a big ol' Spurge ball the whole time, causing a big ol' Spurge bump. Spurge Jr could be stretching out, enjoying the remainder of his peaceful time in the womb before joining the Duggar collective. Or Spurge Jr could be in a posterior position, which can cause a smaller bump. My daughter was like this until the 39th week, when she miraculously rolled around the night before my last prenatal appointment and I went from having a tiny bump to a huge one, overnight.

I'm rambling about all of this because I really hope Jessa has another 10 pound boy, not an 8 pound girl.

17 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Seeing as how these Duggar girls seem to have big babies (and that Jessa was the biggest of Michelle's babies), she could still have another 10 pounder in there. Spurge could've just been curled up in a big ol' Spurge ball the whole time, causing a big ol' Spurge bump. Spurge Jr could be stretching out, enjoying the remainder of his peaceful time in the womb before joining the Duggar collective. Or Spurge Jr could be in a posterior position, which can cause a smaller bump. My daughter was like this until the 39th week, when she miraculously rolled around the night before my last prenatal appointment and I went from having a tiny bump to a huge one, overnight.

I'm rambling about all of this because I really hope Jessa has another 10 pound boy, not an 8 pound girl.

I was leaps smaller with my 2nd baby than my 1st, #1 came 4 weeks early and I was ENORMOUS, he was 8lbs & 20" I looked like I was 10 moths pregnant when I gave birth to a full size child a month early. Baby #2 I had a bump, just a little bump, she was 10 days early and was 9lbs 3oz & 20"s She was also wrapped around my spine, I've had sciatica and back problems since getting pregnant wither 17 years ago. It all depends on HOW the baby is situated inside mom. My son was obviously further forward in my uterus than my daughter because I was 1/2 the size and had a bigger baby. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived