IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

My mum wanted "unusual" names for me and my brother, but that weren't weird. She also has a name that was unusual when she was at school in the 70s but it's shot up in popularity lately  (Imogen.) Her ballet teacher called her "Imagine" and even today she's been called Imagine on a couple of documents!! 

If I have kids I'd also like to give them unusual but not too weird names. ATM I can only think of unusual girl names that I like, not many boy ones. One of the names I like is Scarlet, with just the one T. Interestingly, the two-Ts version makes it 16th in popularity in England for 2015 (22nd in USA) but the one-T version makes it 214th in popularity. I'm a redhead, though, and if I ended up with a redhead boyfriend/husband we'd be pretty much guaranteed ginger kids so I'm just wondering whether Scarlet would be a little cruel or totally badass! (Of course I may not have a redhead boyfriend so the kid would just be brunette or something which would eliminate that issue...) I also like Meredith, so when I saw about M4 being named that, it was a little weird! (I totally know I can still name my kid that, I was just a little bit like "omg they used one of my favourite names!")

Whenever I like names, I usually incorporate them into my weird stories (which are just for fun, not intending to publish them or anything :pb_biggrin:). 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they have a girl, they might as well give her the middle name of "Buddy".  (Example, "It's me, Jana Buddy.")

Also, if having a girl, Jessa may want to continue on the tradition of her Boob given nick name of Blessa.  So they might be considering names like Jessa that will rhyme with Blessa: Dessa, Eessa, Hessa, Kessa, Nessa, Ressa, Sessa, Tessa, or Vessa. 

;) 

On 1/7/2017 at 1:40 PM, Stormy said:

Depending on where you are, a lot of these are interpreted as full names. I had no idea that any of these aside from Leo and Annie were short for anything.

That said,  I've got an family member whose legal name is Sammy. Not Samuel. Sammy. We've also got a Bobby Joe who's not also Robert Joseph.

My cousin named her daughters Bobbie Jean and Jessie Jane... Neither are nick names... We're pretty rednecky, so they are called by both names...  I call my son by his first and middle names often too, not just when he's in trouble, lol, so I can't snark on that too much though

Wow, how could I forget the names Sabine, Giselle, Penelope, Sanaa, Soraya, Marini and Lais. (if you couldn't already tell; I really like Arabic, French, Russian and Swahili names)

Maybe I'll start a quiver of Jinder so I can name baby girls to my heart's desire.

*please no boys, please no boys, please no boys*

11 hours ago, goldengrove said:

(sorry, I still can't figure out how to multi-quote)

:my_biggrin: heh...country music star, did you have someone in mind?  and this...

"It just seems wrong how all the girls' husbands are profiting massively off of these marriages, both money and career-wise."

are we sure this is what happens, or does the money go through JB first?  I can't see Jeremy sitting still for that, perhaps the other two SIL's, but not him...

14 hours ago, nst said:

girl from the wedding who shall not be named is this you? 

Lol idk who y'all mean, I'm not anybody who knows the Duggars or attends their weddings. Did drama go down with a girl at the wedding? 

And golden grove, I was saying that so far these marriages gave been a huge come-up for the guys. Even Jeremy, he will be more famous on this tv show than he ever was as a futbol player. His success was very short lived similar to Nnamdi Asomghua the NFL player, but not even that good. I wonder if Jeremy is trying to become a famous mega-pastor in the vein of Louie Giglio and Andy Stanley? 

Maybe I missed it but has anyone guessed yet that they'll use the name Donald for a boy?  Put me down for that one.  Or heck, since they like the last-name-as-first-name trend, how about Trump Tower Seewald? 

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

My sons have very classic and common (north american) boys' names. My daughter has a popular name but i wouldnt say it is a classic. My husband had her name in mind for over 10 years before she was born. All their middle names were chosen by family members that we care about, they also are very common names.

I actually like unique or unusual names, i understand why people dont think they are a good idea but i dont mind them. 

5 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I have a coworker who named his son Kinnick. University of Iowa fans will understand. And I thought my family friends who named their dogs Kinnick and Gable were hard core Hawkeye fans. If this doesn't make sense, Google Nile Kinnick and Dan Gable.

I know someone who named their kid Nile because of Nile Kinnick. Iowa fans. Yep...

14 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Elsa is its own name - my Great-Aunt and her mother (my Great-Grandmother) both had Elsa as their first name... Aunt was born in the 1920s, so it's been a first name for a while. Both were born in the states, but my Great-Grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants.

----

As for names, we picked Anna Elisabeth for our newborn daughter. Both names honor members of my family - my dad was thrilled to have a granddaughter with a German inspired name who was named in memory of his favorite Aunt (her middle name was Anna.) Our next child will either be Rebecca Grace (middle name is a family name for me) or Brandon Gerard (one of those is a family name for Husband and the other alludes to two of my family members indirectly.)

Hello VelociRapture, hope you are all well?

Glad you chose Anna, it's a beautiful name and is our girl family name. My nana was a beautiful person and the first Anna that I know about in our family although my Great-grandmother may have been Anna also. 

Best wishes.

19 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

Lol idk who y'all mean, I'm not anybody who knows the Duggars or attends their weddings. Did drama go down with a girl at the wedding? 

And golden grove, I was saying that so far these marriages gave been a huge come-up for the guys. Even Jeremy, he will be more famous on this tv show than he ever was as a futbol player. His success was very short lived similar to Nnamdi Asomghua the NFL player, but not even that good. I wonder if Jeremy is trying to become a famous mega-pastor in the vein of Louie Giglio and Andy Stanley? 

We don't know who we mean either :) well, maybe some have specific young ladies in mind, but I'm new, too, and I don't know much about any other families but the duggars (so far...except for brief, frightening glimpses of that Jill woman and her brood, packed in an RV, and I don't think it's  her daughter that people hope will marry a Duggar boy).

The SIL's do come up in the fundie world by marrying a Duggar, at least they are more visible, and I do believe Jeremy was looking for that.  You are right, he just might want a great big ministry, and they will profit from that, I suppose, if it happens.  What I was talking about is the TLC money, and whatever other income there is that might involve the married girls, it's possible that JB holds those purse strings...

4 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

If there are boy/girl twins they simply MUST be Luke and Lea. 

My cats are Luke and Leia. 

Our first dog was named Yoda...he had ears like Yoda. When we got the pup, he got named Anakin...so when I got the kittens, and they were boy/girl twins from the same litter, it just made sense. 

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My mum wanted "unusual" names for me and my brother, but that weren't weird. She also has a name that was unusual when she was at school in the 70s but it's shot up in popularity lately  (Imogen.) Her ballet teacher called her "Imagine" and even today she's been called Imagine on a couple of documents!! 

If I have kids I'd also like to give them unusual but not too weird names. ATM I can only think of unusual girl names that I like, not many boy ones. One of the names I like is Scarlet, with just the one T. Interestingly, the two-Ts version makes it 16th in popularity in England for 2015 (22nd in USA) but the one-T version makes it 214th in popularity. I'm a redhead, though, and if I ended up with a redhead boyfriend/husband we'd be pretty much guaranteed ginger kids so I'm just wondering whether Scarlet would be a little cruel or totally badass! (Of course I may not have a redhead boyfriend so the kid would just be brunette or something which would eliminate that issue...) I also like Meredith, so when I saw about M4 being named that, it was a little weird! (I totally know I can still name my kid that, I was just a little bit like "omg they used one of my favourite names!")

Whenever I like names, I usually incorporate them into my weird stories (which are just for fun, not intending to publish them or anything :pb_biggrin:). 

I am currently embroidering a Christmas stocking for a baby great niece named Scarlett, love the name, but since I am a very slow embroiderer I half wish she'd been named the one T version thus leaving me w/ one less letter to embroider :)

At my current pace I hope to have her stocking done by the time she starts school (she's currently 5 mo.s old) sigh.

I had a dream that Jessa had identical twin girls Ruth and Rachel Seewald :pb_eek: so happy when I woke up and found out it wasn't true. Jessa would become insufferable.

New bump picture on the duggar family blog which in itself is nothing new and quite boring BUT is Jessa wearing a shirt with a *gasp* Gothardian Eyetrap on the side or what? :pb_eek:

12 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

Mr. Belle and I are both Auburn alums. No worries here. Although he has said he'd name a child Cam, which I just can't go along with.  We have two (from his first marriage) that are in their 20s so having another would be like starting completely over but not out of consideration (I'm only 35). 

If there are boy/girl twins they simply MUST be Luke and Lea. 

i know a set of twins Luke and Layla... I don't think it was  Star Wars intended though, more 'L'- Mom and older brother are both 'L' names as well..

I do know a couple of Anakins  though- one of them is about 10, and one is 3 or 4- his name is Anankin Jedi, and they call him AJ

My son's name is rising in popularity right now- There aren't a ton, but it seems like whenever I say his name in public i get "oh, I have a Tristan too!".  Like everyone always says though, I didn't know of any when we named him that. His middle name is his dad's first name.

2 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

I do know a couple of Anakins  though- one of them is about 10, and one is 3 or 4- his name is Anankin Jedi, and they call him AJ

I hope and suppose you meant Anakin Jedi and not Anankin Jedi. Only a mispelled obnoxious name is worse than the one every one can at least spell. 

My second daughter has a only-given-once-in-2015 name. Still love it. 

Lots of thoughts after reading all the names stuff because as a sub teacher, I deal with a new list of names nearly every day that I work:

Scarlet/t: One of the preschools I sub in currently has four Scarlet/t s. Two with two t's and two with one t. 

Anakin: A third grade class I've subbed in several times this year has an Anakin. My brother's question: "Are you tempted to call him Darth?". Yes, yes, I am, as he can be a lot of trouble. As can his classmate who is named Damian. Perhaps this is not a coincidence. 

Last names as first names: Half the kids on most class lists right now read as two last names with names like Paxton (whose last name starts with P and ends with -son, so that just sounds weird), Reagan/Regan, Madison, (about 6th and up there are always multiple Madisons), Morgan, Carson, Cooper and so on. One school has two girls named Presley in their senior class which is odd as I've never heard it elsewhere nor does the Social Security site show it ever having a spike in popularity. 

Primary age there are more boys with traditional names like Wesley, Henry, Charles, Matthew, Michael, Sam/Samuel, Max, Luke/Lucas, etc... but girls have more trendy names, last names as first names, names from pop culture (Elsa, Isabella/Bella, Emma). There are a few names I associate with people born in the 60s or 70s popping up for girls in PreK and K now--Monica, Melinda and Melanie are three I've seen recently. Names I'm not seeing in primary as much now are the girl K names that filled my class lists the last years I worked full time--Katie, Kara, Katelyn, Kylie, Katherine, Kelsey, etc...multiply the Katies and Karas by at least two, plus the others and you had half my class lists in any section for awhile there, but those name are not as frequent at all now. For boys, the "den" names are fading, see below. 

There are always weird names that make me think there is a misprint on the list. My current favorite is Bevin. The boy proudly informed me that it was chosen to rhyme with his dad's name: Kevin. 

There was a period where Aidan or anything ending in that was the thing for boys, so I see Aidan, Hayden, C/Kayden, Jayden, Brayden....usually some combination of two or three in all grades but preK to 1st (those grades still may have one), so I think it may be falling out of fashion. There are now girls named Aidan, Hayden and Jayden, though, but I've never met a girl named Kayden or Brayden, yet. I assume it is coming. 

Not using first name or using different name: My first year of teaching, I had a student named Elizabeth Christine who was called Katie. No explanation was ever given for that. In Catholic school, I had multiple Marys who went by middle names. In two cases, it was tradition in the mother's family that firstborn girls be named Mary, but they all went by middle names because these were large families with Marys all over the family tree. My favorite is my great grandmother, who I never knew. As we were told the story, her mother wanted to name her Emma and her father wanted to name her Anna. Her mother won. Sort of . She was named Emma Annetta. But her father insisted on only calling her Anna and it stuck. Her gravestone even says Anna. I have a cousin named Ann after her and a second cousin named Emma after her. So it has given the descendants some flexibility, anyway, lol. 

And bad last name combos: A cousin has a daughter named Emma. The first syllable of their last name is "Emm". Makes me cringe. I also cringe at the compulsion multiple people I know who have two syllable last names ending in "en" or "an" have had to give their children two syllable first names ending in "en" or "an". I actually know of four different couples who did this. To all of their children. On purpose. 

29 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

I hope and suppose you meant Anakin Jedi and not Anankin Jedi. Only a mispelled obnoxious name is worse than the one every one can at least spell. 

My second daughter has a only-given-once-in-2015 name. Still love it. 

I can't stand misspelled non-phoenetic names... my SIL and BIL gave their daughter one, it makes me ragey.

My daughter's name is sorta trendy, but been around a while and it isn't QUITE so popular (Sydney) my son's name is more unique, and you hear it as a last name more often than not, but we like it (Corwin)

I have a friend from uni and her twins are called Thor and Odin. Yes, like the Norse gods. By them self I think the names are nice (and so Norwegian) but together it's a little too much. 

Nobody's approached the idea that they might name a kid Gothard, like maybe Gothard Rushdoony Seewald or what about Zebedee Zealot Seewald.   

Daughter?  Providence or Forebearance.   If they are into alliteration, Sue.  How about Sparla, if they are going to stay with an "Sp" name.  

I had a friend in college whose aunt was named Fredabelle.  When you're sure it's gonna be a boy that you are naming Fred, you've got to think on your feet. 

On 1/7/2017 at 5:26 PM, rexasaurus_nirb said:

Balthazar reminds me of Charmed, specifically Cole Turner's demonic half. Wonder if he'll end up randomly appearing in the reboot. 

Me too-- wait, did you say there's a reboot? Going off to google. . . .

My oldest has an old Russian name, very pretty, and somewhat popular in Eastern Europe, although not in the states.  We concidered Oksana for my youngest.  I vetoed it because I didn't want my daughter referred to as Ox.  It's funny though, because even though she is very much a girl, she's also the one known among her friends as the one to turn to when brut strength is needed....saying at times "she's strong like an ox!"  LOL, best laid plans.....

1 hour ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Me too-- wait, did you say there's a reboot? Going off to google. . . .

Wait did i hear charming and reeboot in the sane phrase?  Google my dare friend tell me about it!!

I have an old lady name as well, well sort of. It's a name from an older generation but it was never truly common. So I get a lot of "Where did you get that?" The answer by the way is "From my parents!" Silly people. I think that Jessa will definitely keep us guessing. It's getting there though. Time is ticking down and we will soon be on baby watch. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived