IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 18: Faux Royals

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

When a UK official has to announce that Harry and Meghan are going somewhere as private citizens to clarify that they don't do royal visits and don't represent the BRF.  How much did People pay for the photo rights?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I’m pretty sure People Magazine has sent a reporter along with them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

They absolutely did. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

When a UK official has to announce that Harry and Meghan are going somewhere as private citizens to clarify that they don't do royal visits and don't represent the BRF.

Harry and Meghan - cosplaying the Royals.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Smash! said:

Harry and Meghan - cosplaying the Royals.

That was almost the thread title.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

From People.com:

"Are they helping you? Are you feeling better?" Prince Harry asked at the bedside of Private Habu Sadiq in video captured by PEOPLE's chief foreign correspondent Simon Perry, who is exclusively covering the Duke and Duchess's outings in Nigeria. 

• Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, viii said:

Except Harry is a royal, lol. 

Still not a working royal on the balcony representing the UK.  He's part of the BRF the same as other hangers on.

• Upvote 8

He might as well be one of those privileged distant Windsor Cousins at this point.He has the DNA, maybe the name  but contributes nothing to the RF or the country and gets nothing from them either. Like those cousins he can write tell alls and use the name to benefit themselves, sell their causes, Etc and the BR can’t stop them. But the Senior family certainly aren’t going promote them, fund them, go to their fancy bashes or events. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Still not a working royal on the balcony representing the UK.  He's part of the BRF the same as other hangers on.

No, he’s not a working royal, but I’m not sure I’d call the son of the king a “hanger on”, no matter how unlikeable he is. 😂

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 3

The BRF is giving him the hanger on treatment so what else do we calll it?  Barely a hello how are you visit in February and nothing this past week.  I'm following the king's lead on this one.  Harry's lack of planning may be a factor or any one of the other theories may be right as to why Harry is firmly on the outside, but an integral part of the family he is not at the moment. 

• I Agree 3

14 hours ago, viii said:

Except Harry is a royal, lol. 

Is he really, though?

Well, perhaps....

12 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

He might as well be one of those privileged distant Windsor Cousins at this point.He has the DNA, maybe the name  but contributes nothing to the RF or the country and gets nothing from them either. Like those cousins he can write tell alls and use the name to benefit themselves, sell their causes, Etc and the BR can’t stop them. But the Senior family certainly aren’t going promote them, fund them, go to their fancy bashes or events. 

If you think of it that way, perhaps. I don't think he'll ever be a Senior Royal again, though. I think he wants the Senior Royal perks with the Privileged Cousin Workload. right now.

If Megan's goal in that photo was to stand out, well, she did. Not in a good way.  She took international studies, did she  not? She should know how to dress more appropriately  in  the company of women, particularly if she wants them to take her seriously.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

He is a senior royal as of right now. I doubt he will ever be a working royal again. Senior royal and working royal are not the same thing. He is too high in the line of succession to be anything but a senior royal. Once William’s kids start having children, that’s when Harry will drop and become just a royal, rather than a senior royal. 

Look at Prince Edward. For years he was a senior royal because he was third in line to the throne. Now he’s 14th in line. Royals roles change all the time so while Harry is a senior royal right now, despite everything that has happened, eventually his role will change. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1

What ever his status, the Nigerian government wanted him there, and not the official, senior, working royals. 

• Upvote 1

The Defense Minister invited them.  They didn't meet the President. Allegedly it was to do with Invictus and wounded soldiers.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

The Defense Minister invited them.  They didn't meet the President. Allegedly it was to do with Invictus and wounded soldiers.

They are wanting to host the Invictus Games. I doubt that will happen as there would be security concerns. Harry likely knows that it won’t happen but neither he or his wife was going to pass up a faux royal tour. They thrive on this kind of attention 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Other than feeding their Egos It really only impresses the Sussex  Squatties though.They have no power with Royals or Hollywood or the philanthropist set to help Nigeria get the games if that  was the aim of this trip  even if that was feasible. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Guys, I’m super uncomfortable dissecting her claims to Nigerian ancestry by questioning what percentage she is. This is why I don’t love these genetic tests.  
we are all human and closer genetically than not, nor are they really accurate, and it just ventures into uncomfortable territory. Snark away on her fashion faux-pas, the way they can’t seem to quit being “royal”, so many things. But I kind of feel like genetics and race etc, should be off limits. There is SO much to snark on without that. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Guys, I’m super uncomfortable dissecting her claims to Nigerian ancestry by questioning what percentage she is. This is why I don’t love these genetic tests.  
we are all human and closer genetically than not, nor are they really accurate, and it just ventures into uncomfortable territory. Snark away on her fashion faux-pas, the way they can’t seem to quit being “royal”, so many things. But I kind of feel like genetics and race etc, should be off limits. There is SO much to snark on without that. 

It’s not snark. If that DNA test told my pasty faced white self I’m 17% Swedish , it literally doesn’t actually mean that and is not an accurate way of determining that. Maybe read the articles which are talking about why DNA testing—which she used to make the claim— doesn’t determine ethnicity. No one said she does not have African-American heritage. 

Posted (edited)

I did read them. I understand the point you are making. I am still uncomfortable with it. It’s one thing to just point out the inaccuracy of genetic testing. It’s another to make it a personal negative about someone. It may just be a me thing. and I say this as someone am who really isn’t a fan of Harry and Meghan. In fact, I have almost nothing good to actually say about either one. I just wanted to voice my discomfort. 

Carry on with the snark. And research articles or whatever. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 4

I agree. This is not the appropriate place for that discussion, especially since it’s incredibly biased. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Re: commercial DNA tests. As those linked articles indicate, they are relatively unreliable in terms of providing precise information on a personʻs genetic background. Furthermore, each company - Ancestry, 23 & me, MyHeritage - produces results that are based on proprietary algorithms that are confidential business information belonging to the company. This is why your results could vary significantly if you have multiple samples tested by different companies. There is no way for you, the customer, to find out what those algorithms are, so you have no way of judging how (in)accurate any given company's work is. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

The accuracy of the tests also depends on the samples submitted as well. They are comparing to their own proprietary databases made up largely of customers. Certain populations - such as Native American - are very underrepresented in these databases. That leads to error in assigning the results. I have to suspect there’s a similar phenomenon with different African countries. It could be that Nigeria is over represented compared to a country like Somalia. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

It could be that Nigeria is over represented compared to a country like Somalia. 

Yes, which is why if M submitted samples to other companies I'm betting that she would have different results. That said, the situation for Black Americans who seek evidence of their African ancestry is a difficult one because of small comparative  populations. About 10 years ago, the chef-author Michael Twitty had multiple DNA tests done in order to narrow down his probable ancestral origins in Africa. Even with multiple datasets the results were not totally clear. He discusses the complexity in his book The Cooking Gene.

BTW, if you are considering submitting a DNA sample to one of these companies, or have done so, be sure to read through their privacy policy thoroughly. There have always been exceptions for law enforcement access but you should be sure that you agree with everything the company will or may do with your data.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2