IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

40 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Apparently her middle kid is called Titan. Laikynn is 7, I think.

The awful baby name post is from 2012 so I guess Laikynn is turning 5 this year. 

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh dear god... don't read her blog unless you enjoy killing brain cells. She obviously doesn't proof read. Wow who reads this crap? I feel sorry for her boys. She very obviously prefers her girl. 

Yeah, I get that feeling too. There's tons of posts with her and her daughter in matching outfits. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think she's updated her "About" section in her blog in awhile. It still says she's 22 years old. That can't be right...

5 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

I think she's been discussed here before. They did change the name, her name is Laikynn Kay.

064-2.jpg

(old picture, but man she loved that chalkboard!)

She had another baby last year, a boy named Tatum. 

Old blog: http://mommyslittlesunshine.blogspot.no/

New blog: http://www.heymcki.com/

13613317_1236625289683453_7957087861574694068_o.jpg

How could I miss this! They did another chalkboard name thing! Glad they didn't end up with Taysom! 

I've never heard of this McKinli lady, but reading the way her name is spelled honestly bothers my eyes. And I looked at the recipes section on new blog only to find most are for green smoothies. I'm all for green smoothies, but, how many variations do you need to post? 

56 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Oh gosh I didnt realise Ben is only 2 months older than me! 

That is crazy considering I'm still in university, engaged but not planning on getting married for a long while yet and basically still depend on my mum a lot. Whereas Ben is a soon to be dad of two....what the hell 

And I was starting to think I was the only person still in her early twenties on this site. :)

21 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

And I was starting to think I was the only person still in her early twenties on this site.

Nope, I'm right down there with you :my_shy:

5 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I have a friend from Utah and "Lakynn" is definitely a trendy Mormon name.  

I Googled "Lakynn" and "Mormon" thinking maybe it was a female figure in The Book of Mormon (like "Kyerin" or "Soriah"). It's not. But damn, you are right about it being a trendy Mormon name!

8 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Nope, I'm right down there with you :my_shy:

Same here!! I would say how much older Ben is than me but that would almost be like revealing my own birthdate... let's just say it's a matter of weeks.

33 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

And I was starting to think I was the only person still in her early twenties on this site. :)

Haha I'm here too!

1 hour ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I don't think she's updated her "About" section in her blog in awhile. It still says she's 22 years old. That can't be right...

Yeah, I saw that as well. I guess she's about 26 now? 

17 hours ago, eveandadam said:

E.g. names that are originally English (or French) but used very often for newborns are Mandy, Kevin, René, Chantalle, Chayenne, Josephine, Mike (as shortform of Michael) (My first name is part of this group).... These names, most of the time, show a working class background plus: the region the parents originate from is most probably east Germany

I generally agree, though I would swap Josephine with Jaqueline (most likely spoken Shhackliiin...) I always liked Josephine and where I live it is definitely considered middle class or up.

But otherwise you got most of the cliché names. I think it is similar to the "uniquely" spelled or "tryndy" names in the US. It just seems somewhat tacky, the "foreign" names which are in many cases pronounced wrong in combination with a german surname.

The wave of these names really hit about 20 or so years ago so and when these kids, mostly from lower social background (I think lower educational level and younger maternal age contributes to the appeal of these "trendy" cool names) started school and got into more trouble and did worse in class than their more "privileged" comrades the stigma was born.

It is most apparent with the name Kevin. There is somewhat of a saying here in Germany "Kevin is not a name, it's a diagnosis" meaning you hear the name, you know the child's background and associate it with trouble and poor school performance, the name is that stigmatized.

Charlotte however is associated with a quiet, studious child with higher social status.

I think this is a phenomenon you find in many countries, though. As many of you have said, and is quite apparent, there are similar naming trends among certain social groups in the US, too. Gosh naming is so interesting!

On 1/10/2017 at 5:57 PM, Chickenbutt said:

You can make personalized keychains, coffee cups etc with unusual names.

Beads with favorite colors and letter beads can be beautiful. Solid colored ceramic coffee cups painted with a name then fired in the oven make great gifts. You can google just about anything and get instructions. My grandkids have made keychains and coffee cups for parents and great grandparents for several holidays.

Unfortunately, I was born in 1955 and my mom wasn't crafty. No internet when DD was little either. It's still no fun going to an amusement park and your name is nowhere to be found. I haven't got over this trauma yet, LOL.

@SilverBeachI have never, in 59 years, seen my name on any kind of item. But now I have everything imaginable with Nana on it....lol. Guess that makes up for it. At least in my mind it does. :my_shy:

16 hours ago, eveandadam said:

The thing is, for some reason, they just don't, in general. One would assume that there would be more of an inflation of "regal" names over time but it's actually less than what you would expect.

I find naming fascinating, too! My post will probably really long, so sorry about that. I'll try to keep in short.

I believe it's some kind of "secret" code you have to follow to which you only have access if you are part of the higher classes or know someone who did grow up in those circles. But, on the other hand, it's not that big of secret because some names and types of names do show an inflation over time. It's really hard to explain, it's just that you kind of "know" when you hear a name, not only the social class of the parents but also the region within Germany.

It's kinda like that in the US, as evidenced by all the FJers in this thread as well as the Bates threads making fun of fundies and Mormons for giving their kids "stripper names." 

Name popularity and class/race associations vary a lot by region in the US, but some names can be pretty distinct in terms of where that person came from. You don't find a lot of people with hyphenated names ending in -May/Mae, -Jo, -Ann, -Sue, or -Lee/Leigh outside of the South and the Midwest, for example, or a lot of white women with a La-prefix on their name. This stereotyping makes peoples' lives difficult in really pernicious ways; people with anglo, gender-neutral or masculine names are more likely to get callbacks for everything from jobs to housing to college applications. The girlier or more racialized a given name is, the less likely that individual is to be taken seriously. This has been shown by numerous sociological studies. 

I still live in the southeastern US. Rich kids tend to have classic names or family names (often with surnames as first and middle names) with quirky nicknames since everyone having similar names in the family gets confusing. Middle-class kids tend to have whatever's popular on the baby names list from one year to the next, usually without crazy spellings and made-up names. Poor kids tend to have so-called "stripper names," like nicknames for first names, Native American tribal names (Dakota, Cheyenne), names that are spelled kre8tively, names that end in -ie sounds, and either super-masculine (Tyson, Baron, Alex) or super-feminine (Lexie, Maisey, Kayla/Kaylee/Kylie).  

I feel that I lucked out in the name department; while my name was somewhat trendy in the 80's, it was more of an upper-middle/wealthy kid name. It's also aged pretty well, comparatively speaking. 

7 hours ago, MotherOfDragons said:

All this talk of "trendy" names, and I run across this. Don't say I never think of y'all. :pb_lol:

20170111_130829.jpg

That is...something. I don't even know how to pronounce most of those names.

17 hours ago, eveandadam said:

The thing is, for some reason, they just don't, in general. One would assume that there would be more of an inflation of "regal" names over time but it's actually less than what you would expect.

I find naming fascinating, too! My post will probably really long, so sorry about that. I'll try to keep in short.

I believe it's some kind of "secret" code you have to follow to which you only have access if you are part of the higher classes or know someone who did grow up in those circles. But, on the other hand, it's not that big of secret because some names and types of names do show an inflation over time. It's really hard to explain, it's just that you kind of "know" when you hear a name, not only the social class of the parents but also the region within Germany.

E.g. names that are originally English (or French) but used very often for newborns are Mandy, Kevin, René, Chantalle, Chayenne, Josephine, Mike (as shortform of Michael) (My first name is part of this group).... These names, most of the time, show a working class background plus: the region the parents originate from is most probably east Germany. So if you hear a German person named with an English or French first name and a typical German last name, they would have face to face some prejudice here in Germany. (Maybe you know the band Tokyo Hotel. They come from an east German town and the twins are named Bill and Tom, both names of English origine (it would be Wilhelm and Thomas instead if you use the German versions, Tom and Thomas are probably international anyway)).

I can only speak for east and south Germany, though, because those are the regions where I lived and grew up.

Right now, typical middle class names would be the "first names are nicknames" thing, e.g. Mia (Maria), Elisa (Elisabeth), Ben (Benjamin), Jonas (Johannes),  and very oldfashioned names, e.g. Jakob, Karl (German Charles), Benedikt (became popular because of the pope),... These names show an inflation though. I would say that the babies that are named with nicknames now have a more lower middle class background whereas the oldfashioned names are more upper middle class. 10 years ago, nicknames would have been also upper middle class, so I'll predict an inflation of the old fashioned names towards the lower middle class and working classes, too.

Now, with upper classes, I don't really kow, because I'm not part of it. A lot of parents from the middle class try to name their child with an upper class name in order to give him a good start in life. But this can be very tricky because it is difficult to pick a name that doesn't sound like a wannabe and won't show in inflation in the future (which is difficult to predict!).

To be safe, I would pick either an old family name that has been in the family for generations, or a very regional classic name, e.g. Severin or Alois in bavarian Germany, or a royal/regal name like Victoria, Maria, Theresa, Sophia, Katherina, Elisabeth...but the regal names, too, will probably show some form of inflation in the future, I think. Another possibility would be naming your child a counter cycle name, that means a name that is very much out of fashion right now. Usually, those are names that were en vogue 30-40 years ago. AT least, then you are safe from inflation your child won't be one of 5 kids in the class with the same name ;-).

Phew! I hope this doesn't come across as a total rant :-)

This is very interesting.

What I have noticed in this side of the world (big Latin American city)  is (and I am of course generalizing):

Working class people tend to name their kids English names. They are considered very tacky by other people, specially combined with a Spanish last name. Think Kevin Gonzalez.

Italian names are also very trendy, Francesca, Valentino, etc.

Then the upper classes either name their children very classical names, like Helena, or weird hipster names, that would get lost in translation if I tried to explain to you why they are ridiculous. 

As for me, I don't have kids yet, but my husband and I are pretty set on Julian, Isabel and Ezequiel. I like Sofia a lot but it's overused right now.

23 minutes ago, Babsi said:

I generally agree, though I would swap Josephine with Jaqueline (most likely spoken Shhackliiin...) I always liked Josephine and where I live it is definitely considered middle class or up.

But otherwise you got most of the cliché names. I think it is similar to the "uniquely" spelled or "tryndy" names in the US. It just seems somewhat tacky, the "foreign" names which are in many cases pronounced wrong in combination with a german surname.

The wave of these names really hit about 20 or so years ago so and when these kids, mostly from lower social background (I think lower educational level and younger maternal age contributes to the appeal of these "trendy" cool names) started school and got into more trouble and did worse in class than their more "privileged" comrades the stigma was born.

It is most apparent with the name Kevin. There is somewhat of a saying here in Germany "Kevin is not a name, it's a diagnosis" meaning you hear the name, you know the child's background and associate it with trouble and poor school performance, the name is that stigmatized.

Charlotte however is associated with a quiet, studious child from with higher social status.

I think this is a phenomenon you find in many countries, though. As many of you have said, and is quite apparent, there are similar naming trends among certain social groups in the US, too. Gosh naming is so interesting!

I've read about the tendency for names of the upper class to gradually filter down and become associated with lower class over a period of like a decade. So in 10 years Charlotte will likely be considered trashy. But it gets to a tipping point where upper class no longer uses it anymore. 

This has probably been discussed  but there is the tendency for names to be overused during a certain generation and then they fall out of use as there are a ton of them. This is why you meet a ton of Jessicas and Lindsays of a certain age but no one names there kids that any more. These are the equivalents of the Mildred's and Barbara's of old. However it usually skips a generation and people will pick the names back up again. This is why "old fashioned names" like Pearl and Daisy are back in style. Its always been a trend to skip a generation and return to use.

I know the curse of having a top 5 baby name for your birth year. I often had to have my last name initial added to tell me apart from the other 5 girls in my grade with the same name. While I won't give my kid a tryndy name, they can't expect a popular one. Recently I've been thinking Elyse for a girl or Alex for a boy.

Was so irritated over the summer with my friend. His one daughter is Mikayla and then they named their new baby Kaylee Mae. Normal names for the other kids but not the two girls. Broke my heart for Mikayla.

My kiddos are a mix. Oldest shares with a truck and a soda. Middle was named for her grandmother who died three days before I found out I was carrying her and is a Neil Diamond song, and my son is named after a Fast/Furious character and a retired NHL goalie. Nothing out of the ordinary here!

1 minute ago, Shadoewolf said:

Was so irritated over the summer with my friend. His one daughter is Mikayla and then they named their new baby Kaylee Mae. Normal names for the other kids but not the two girls. Broke my heart for Mikayla.

Do parents not realize when they do things like this? Or did they pick Kaylee Mae because it's "cute" how it's close to Mikayla? My friend Haley has a sister named Kayla, and while they are different names, they still get annoyed at people confusing them due to the repeated "ayl" sound. 

Oh I asked him like 3 times if he was sure about using Kaylee because it could create resentment with the big sister, he shrugged it off.  We don't hang out anymore because I can't stand the disturbing amount of filth and neglect. But yeah they don't care.

55 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

My kiddos are a mix. Oldest shares with a truck and a soda. Middle was named for her grandmother who died three days before I found out I was carrying her and is a Neil Diamond song, and my son is named after a Fast/Furious character and a retired NHL goalie. Nothing out of the ordinary here!

Is Mikayla not a normal name? I mean, it's a strange spelling...but I grew up with someone named McKayla so it seems so normal to me, I guess.

30 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Is Mikayla not a normal name? I mean, it's a strange spelling...but I grew up with someone named McKayla so it seems so normal to me, I guess.

I've known lots of Mikayla's! But I think the point was the similarity to the younger sisters name. 

My daughter has the same name as Spock's mother. My sons have biblical names. I'm named for a string of female relatives.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived