IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

@BadMammaJanaBull Tozer omg I love that! This will top Spurgeon! Good thing the kid won't go to any kind of school, would make it so easy for bullies to call him bulldozer!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a feeling those little girls go by nicknames. Rey, Jenni, and Millie perhaps?

No. They go by their full names. To go by a nickname would be considered disrespectful to the family name being honored. We Southerners can be a strange bunch.

On 1/7/2017 at 11:24 AM, eveandadam said:

what will come next? nicknames, then old fashioned names, what is next? maybe Jessa and Ben have something going on there: taking last names as first names for babies. This could be new thing.

That's already been done too.  Harrison, Jackson, Reagan, Ford, Madison, McKenzie, Parker, etc.

On 1/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, eveandadam said:

I didn't know it has been going on in the U.S. for so long, since Harrison Ford was born? That's a really long time (hehe, shady :-P ).

I thought the name Taylor is more a result of naming girls by using originally boy's names: Taylor, Ryan, Ruby,...

Using last names as first names wouldn't go so well in German. Only a few last names would be appropriate, and could then only be used as boy's names, like: Rainer or Luther or something. Man, I'm again realizing how gendered (and sexist) the German language is.

It's strange how tendy names age with time and their carriers. I picture a Heather or a Tiffany today as a young woman in her early to mid twenties.

All the Berthas and Mildreds and Mabels were once 15 yrs old gorgeous teens.   Hard to imagine.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Elsa is its own name - my Great-Aunt and her mother (my Great-Grandmother) both had Elsa as their first name... Aunt was born in the 1920s, so it's been a first name for a while. Both were born in the states, but my Great-Grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants.

Maybe she changed her name to Elsa from Else. This was a quite common name then but is slightly difficult to pronounce in English. Elsa or Elsie is easier. I sometimes think that a lot of old people actually do not go by the name in their ID and even sign stuff with the wrong name. Found out that my grandmother is indeed not a Annemarie but a Anna Maria. Even if she introduces herself it is Annemarie. Even my father thought that's her name. I figure people just didn't change their names officially but I introduced themselves as what ever they liked or sticked to their childhood nicknames. 

I have one cousin that is so into University of Alabama football his kids are theme named. His oldest son is Roland Tyden (play off Roll Tide) second son is Bryant Bear (for coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and daughter is Crimson Nic (for team color and Nick Saban). Another is such a HUGE republican she names her kids  using surnames of GOP presidents. Daughters McKinley and Regan, sons Harrison, Grant and Ford. 

24 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

I have one cousin that is so into University of Alabama football his kids are theme named. His oldest son is Roland Tyden (play off Roll Tide) second son is Bryant Bear (for coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and daughter is Crimson Nic (for team color and Nick Saban). Another is such a HUGE republican she names her kids  using surnames of GOP presidents. Daughters McKinley and Regan, sons Harrison, Grant and Ford. 

I'll laugh when those kids become Auburn fans to rebel against their horrible names ;) 

One thing that annoys me about Smuggessa and Bin's supposed plan to name their children after "heroes of the Christian faith" is that they probably have a very narrow notion of who exactly those heroes are.

Consider, for example, Joan of Arc. Many people might consider her to be a "hero[ine] of the Christian faith" but I feel confident that they would never name a daughter Joan. Nor would they use any other names associated with Catholic saints.

So, Bin and Smugessa not really interested, generally, in heroes of the Christian faith. They're interested in a very small subset of fundamentalist-Protestant-approved "heroes of the Christian faith".

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Elsa is its own name - my Great-Aunt and her mother (my Great-Grandmother) both had Elsa as their first name... Aunt was born in the 1920s, so it's been a first name for a while. Both were born in the states, but my Great-Grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants.

----

As for names, we picked Anna Elisabeth for our newborn daughter. Both names honor members of my family - my dad was thrilled to have a granddaughter with a German inspired name who was named in memory of his favorite Aunt (her middle name was Anna.) Our next child will either be Rebecca Grace (middle name is a family name for me) or Brandon Gerard (one of those is a family name for Husband and the other alludes to two of my family members indirectly.)

I would have liked to use some of the better family names in our family tree....but my brother got to my top 3 before I could. Ha! So we ended up picking a name we just liked. (I was told by my Grandma that she had an uncle with the same name but she didn't like him. Oh well.) Then we used my husband's name as his middle name. I actually don't like the way it sounds together but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Maybe she changed her name to Elsa from Else. This was a quite common name then but is slightly difficult to pronounce in English. Elsa or Elsie is easier. I sometimes think that a lot of old people actually do not go by the name in their ID and even sign stuff with the wrong name. Found out that my grandmother is indeed not a Annemarie but a Anna Maria. Even if she introduces herself it is Annemarie. Even my father thought that's her name. I figure people just didn't change their names officially but I introduced themselves as what ever they liked or sticked to their childhood nicknames. 

Anything is possible. My husband's grandma went by one name her whole life - wasn't until she died that his parents found out her real first name was something completely unrelated (for example, going by the name Ellie when your name is actually Petunia.) 

As far as my family knows though, Elsa was their legal given names listed on all official documentation. Which doesn't surprise me - Elsa started as a nickname for Elisabeth (like you said), but it's been a stand-alone name for quite some time too. 

3 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

That's hilarious. I have a friend who has cousins named Bear and Crimson after...Alabama football. I live in Alabama, but I just don't get the football thing. Fortunately I found one of the few single men in the state who aren't into it either.:pb_lol:

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Not OP my great grandmother (born c.1890) had a sister called Elsa Jean which was her legal name. So Elsa has been a stand alone name for quite a while 

Elsa is a common name in Sweden so yes, it is a real name. I know a lot of people named Elsa born both before and after the film. Elsie or Elsy is also sometimes used but Else is more Danish to my ears. I think it is a pretty name but because of the film I would not use it unless I would have a baby in 10 years or so (not likely, in 10 years I am beyond my prime when it comes to making babies). 

I ended up with a letter theme so far. We ended up liking I-names for our two children but that is not really our theme, I think it is very likely if we have another kid that he/she will get a name without I. If swe stick to two we will have an unintentional theme. I can see us going for another prime minister for another boy though.There are a couple nice ones like Hjalmar, Per Albin or Tage. 

We did think about naming our son Gösta because we like going against the grain a bit and using the more special Swedish letters like ö is not very popular and we both like the name. In the end though the name we chose worked better with our taste and our son. 

My first name is usually fried by English speakers and I have been called all kinds of things that is not even close to my name. It works better for French or Spanish speakers so it is not useless internationally but since I mostly have contact with English-speakers I hear strange pronunciations and unintentional nicknames quite a bit. My lastname is even worse while my husband is named Robert as a first name and a very easy to pronounce last name. Guess if they address him or me if we go to English-speaking countries when they have received a previous booking with both our names? "Robert xxx and ehhh..." "Yes, that's us!"

We all know they are, well, maybe a little obsessed with this letter or theme thing when it comes to naming their kids, you know what I mean…

So Spurgeon Elliot, when you take the first letter of both names you get Se, like the beginning of seewald. When I realized this, I thought maybe they will name their second kid elohim wilberforce or ernest walden. So in the end they could have the kids standing in a row presenting the s.e.e.w.a.l.d.s.

BUT counting down it would mean they would have to stop after 4 Kids, or at least 7 ( when they take only the first letters to complete the name seewald).

So in season 10 we could see jessa telling jimbob that they will stop filling their quiver because they ran out of letters.

Well, one could dream.

Or they will name the baby tozer and tozy and spurgy will become strong christian headships because of their names.:pb_rollseyes:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

I read an article a few months ago that claimed that names popular during your great grandparents' generation tend to become popular again when you go to have your own children.

I haven't encountered any Myrtles yet (my grandma's real name - she went by Ann, rebelling against an "M" theme with her sisters).  A cousin named her daughter after a great-aunt and great-grandmother, and I've learned that these "old fashioned" names are coming back.    

My husband's two grandmas had made-up names and will probably be the first and last of their kinds.  I've made up similar names (for privacy) below so you can get an idea what they were:

VaJaJa   (she had combinations of the first initials of her own mother's best friends' names at the time)

ShieldMaidenProtectUs   (seriously, the oddest name since Heistheway - I wish we knew the story behind grandma's name)

(Again, not their real names, but close -- and they were not happy with their given names, I wonder why.)

I have a coworker who named his son Kinnick. University of Iowa fans will understand. And I thought my family friends who named their dogs Kinnick and Gable were hard core Hawkeye fans. If this doesn't make sense, Google Nile Kinnick and Dan Gable.

Another Scandinavian chiming in, Elsa is indeed a "old" name, but it probably started as a short form of Elisabet(h). Else is also a pretty common name here (if you're over 50). My name is originally a short form of Christina (or any other names that ends on -ina) but no one would think it was a nickname here. Someone up thread mentioned Liv as a nickname, it is also a name on it's own, it mean life in Norwegian. 

The most popular names in Norway right now is Emma and Nora for girls and William and Mathias for boys, but it is also a trend of choosing old fashioned names. 

If I ever get kids I would probably go for a Norwegian name that could be pronounced and written in English, that means that Bjørg (my grandmothers name) is out of the question because it's written with an ø. 

Oh, and regarding Espn, there actually is a boys name that's similar, Espen. There's a lot of Norwegian fairytales about him. 

Chiming in here because I can't edit my post to say my great grandmothers mother was Scandinavian (father was British-Irish hence the Jean) so that could be where the Elsa came from since it seems to be mostly Scandinavian people backing it up as a single name 

5 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

At least those names are workable; I like the name Harrison. Hope she doesn't name any of her kids Bush, Eisenhower, or Taft. I personally like the theme one friend of mine wants to do (but his partner is vetoing it, which is possibly for the best): naming all his kids after his favorite movie characters. So Luke (Skywalker), Dominic (Toretto), Peter (Quill/Starlord) for boys; Letty (Ortiz...I think you've caught on by now that he's a massive Fast and the Furious fan), Lea (the princess), and Gisele (again, Fast and the Furious) for girls.

If I ever have kids, I would want something sort of unique but not crazy enough to cause them problems.

Then again, very few names top Spurgeon Seewald.

My father in law has seven siblings and like five of them go by names that are not their actual names. Doing wedding invitations was infuriating because I got so confused about who was who!

3 hours ago, princessmahina said:

That's hilarious. I have a friend who has cousins named Bear and Crimson after...Alabama football. I live in Alabama, but I just don't get the football thing. Fortunately I found one of the few single men in the state who aren't into it either.:pb_lol:

Mr. Belle and I are both Auburn alums. No worries here. Although he has said he'd name a child Cam, which I just can't go along with.  We have two (from his first marriage) that are in their 20s so having another would be like starting completely over but not out of consideration (I'm only 35). 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

At least those names are workable; I like the name Harrison. Hope she doesn't name any of her kids Bush, Eisenhower, or Taft. I personally like the theme one friend of mine wants to do (but his partner is vetoing it, which is possibly for the best): naming all his kids after his favorite movie characters. So Luke (Skywalker), Dominic (Toretto), Peter (Quill/Starlord) for boys; Letty (Ortiz...I think you've caught on by now that he's a massive Fast and the Furious fan), Lea (the princess), and Gisele (again, Fast and the Furious) for girls.

If there are boy/girl twins they simply MUST be Luke and Lea. 

21 hours ago, BadMammaJana said:

I wanted to name my daughter Jolene, but the husband said no. I couldn't even convince him to use it as a middle name. 

Yeah, my husband will only let me give our third girl, if we have one, the middle name "Dolly." Because he said that the first name of Dolly combined with our last name makes her sound like a streetwalker in Wan Chai.

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I went to college with a guy named Luke (first name) Sky (middle name) Walker (last name).

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Depending on how old your grandma is there may not have been as streamlined a process for making a name change like there is now.  It used to be much easier to just go by a name and have your legal ID and such issued in that name.  One of the issues for some of our elders in the US in the post-911, limiting voter rights by requiring ID, etc world is that people born at home weren't always issued a birth certificate and this wasn't considered a big deal.  Birth certificates and such weren't required for school admission and school forms were often accepted as ID for kids in those cases ID was required.  So if your grandma was registered for school as Annemarie then after that no one would care what was on her birth certificate.  (And even if she was Anna Maria at school, she still could have been Annemarie on her driver's license and gone from there.)

16 hours ago, Malizabeth said:

Eleanor was my grandmother's name.  She passed away at 94 last year.  I'd love to use that name in the future!  Her mother's name was Isabel :) 

We had two violets in the family two generations ago. I do like the name. 

Margaret was a favourite of mine until Maggie Thatcher was prime minister. 

We had boys, any girls would have been given Scottish names. There are so many pretty ones.

Anna is a family name for three generations. Also a beautiful name. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived