IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

21 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

No body ever got that thin from a "traveler's bug." You're sick for a few days, you get over it, & you're better. Why do they insist on lying about such trivial things? He didn't look like that in India.

Unless it's an intestinal parasite... not diagnosing them of course, but just saying you can get parasites while traveling which can wreck havoc on your digestive system for years.  I for one don't think they have anything beyond the shits, and I don't particularly think any mention to a travel bug is an FU to FJ.

And I think you mean Nepal?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, wayyyy more women died from back alley abortions when it was illegal compared to now. So you wanna make sbortion illegal again? Be prepared for just as many abortions and more women dying. Sorry you can't understand basic stats Cathy.

Second, I don't know if the shits can be the reason why Derrick is thin. Maybe it's partly the shits and partly his surgery that made him lose weight. Because Jill says she got the shits and girl looks fantastic. 

2 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Posting comments like these is not productive in some random thread - because it is not guaranteed that anyone who can do anything about it will see them.  As has been said before, if you have a forum question or issue, please post in either Community Discussion (for forum operations) or Tech for technical questions.  I will bring these comments to the tech team's attention, but I would appreciate it if, if this is a concern for you, you start a thread in the Tech forum.  That will be much more helpful.  Thank you.

As @marmalade noted, you can increase your font size using *ctrl* and the plus size.

Also, you might consider changing the theme you are using.  I prefer Uniform and didn't have a clue why this was even a discussion.

You are right that concerns like these are best brought up in the tech forms. But I think it was a sort of thread drift.  One person makes a parenthetical comment, another says yes, me too and a third agrees.  We could just as easily been talking about our addiction to lemon meringue pie. ;) 

Speaking only for myself, it is not a big concern, just a minor annoyance.  I hadn't really considered why the text was more difficult to read.   I will try another theme.  

Anyway, thanks for bringing the issue to the attention of the tech team.

5 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Does she really not understand how many women likely died trying to obtain abortions when they weren't legal?  I mean...no matter what someone's opinion is on abortion....she has to see how backwards here comment is, right?

It is a basic Human Right for women to have the ability to choose. 

Seeking Asylum is also a Human Right.

Unfortunately, it seems that Fundies couldn't give two hoots about said Human Rights. Also most conservatives, but don't get me started!

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

No body ever got that thin from a "traveler's bug." You're sick for a few days, you get over it, & you're better. Why do they insist on lying about such trivial things? He didn't look like that in India.

I can believe them on this one. Derrick was always thin, and if he's anything like some super thin people I know, he probably just has a hard time keeping weight on generally, couple that with a small appetite (natural or due to pain/recovery from jaw surgery), and throw in GI issues (I'm so glad Danger America does as much for them as they do for Danger America), and we get Derrick. A thin person who naturally struggles to gain weight getting the runs for several days every few months is going to be skeletal.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

First, wayyyy more women died from back alley abortions when it was illegal compared to now. So you wanna make sbortion illegal again? Be prepared for just as many abortions and more women dying. Sorry you can't understand basic stats Cathy.

Second, I don't know if the shits can be the reason why Derrick is thin. Maybe it's partly the shits and partly his surgery that made him lose weight. Because Jill says she got the shits and girl looks fantastic. 

Oh no I'm not saying the shits made him thin.  Just that if they mentioned catching a traveling bug, it's probably more along the lines of minor illness rather than catastrophic parasite and probably not the reason he is so gaunt.  

I'd like to explain to Cathy that many more women die from pregnancy and childbirth than from legal abortions, but I have a feeling facts don't much matter to her. Derrick comes by his idiocy honestly. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This reminds me of the book Sex Lives with Cannibals--non-fiction about  a couple who go to live in a Pacific atoll. The man said that one thing he learned there was that it would be women who would survive the apocalypse, because while they were both regularly getting intestinal parasites and other assorted bugs, he was the only one to lose a tone of weight, while she didn't lose a pound. Yay, estrogen. 

Looks like Derick's mom is quitting Twitter. I think it's because she had a tweet about abortion and it didn't go over well.

------

She said - Abortion doesn't just kill babies. Grieved to hear of the young woman in MI who died after having an abortion.

Response from someone - Hey Cathy , you remember those good old days when they used coat hangers for back alley Abortion, Lets make do that!

Cathy then said - I remember the good old days when it was unavailable and I was allowed to be born. And adopted.

-------

Does she really not understand how many women likely died trying to obtain abortions when they weren't legal?  I mean...no matter what someone's opinion is on abortion....she has to see how backwards here comment is, right?

not to mention that surgical abortion is a surgical procedure and does come with a risk of complication. does that mean that surgical abortion is automatically the devil incarnate? no, because sometimes shit happens. my elementary school friend lost her dad after complications from minor surgery. this girl could've had an underlying condition she wasn't aware of, or maybe she just went to a shitty clinic. who knows?

I wish people would do their research before making dumbass comments on abortion like this, dammit Cathy.

I couldn't find a source for that post-abortion death story that wasn't anti-choice, so that right there makes the story suspect. From what I can gather from those sources, the woman went to the hospital 4 days after having an abortion complaining of stomach pains. She was given pain meds and told to see her primary care provider the next day--one article indicated that investigators think she told them she had had an abortion days prior.  She was later found dead in her mother's basement; no evidence of foul play. No one seems to know where the abortion was done, how far along she was, and what procedure was performed. Autopsy report is still pending.  

2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I'd like to explain to Cathy that many more women die from pregnancy and childbirth than from legal abortions, but I have a feeling facts don't much matter to her. Derrick comes by his idiocy honestly. 

This reminds me of the book Sex Lives with Cannibals--non-fiction about  a couple who go to live in a Pacific atoll. The man said that one thing he learned there was that it would be women who would survive the apocalypse, because while they were both regularly getting intestinal parasites and other assorted bugs, he was the only one to lose a tone of weight, while she didn't lose a pound. Yay, estrogen. 

Someone did respond to her with a comment about more people dying in childbirth. I think all the facts people were stating to her are what caused her to tweet "Goodbye Twitter" today. Ha! Taking her toys and going home, I guess.

I am actually fairly conservative compared to most people here (probably) and I do think some of the abortion laws need to be tweeked a bit. But I am not so delusional to think that ZERO abortions being legal is a good thing. 

6 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

I definitely lost weight due to gastrointestinal issues when I was in China (mostly because after a while you stop bothering getting extra bottles of water for brushing your teeth, and because street food, unhygienic as it is, is so goddamn delicious, and because I was teaching and thus high-fiving children who probably weren't the greatest about washing their hands), but not to that extent.

4 hours ago, lascuba said:

I can believe them on this one. Derrick was always thin, and if he's anything like some super thin people I know, he probably just has a hard time keeping weight on generally, couple that with a small appetite (natural or due to pain/recovery from jaw surgery), and throw in GI issues (I'm so glad Danger America does as much for them as they do for Danger America), and we get Derrick. A thin person who naturally struggles to gain weight getting the runs for several days every few months is going to be skeletal.

Also, he seems to be walking most places he goes (if we can believe the footage we've seen). If he has a high metabolism that helps to keep him thin, the walking would also contribute to his gaunt look. Maybe he will fatten up when he gets back to the States where he can laze around the house, drive a big car everywhere he goes and gorge on TTC and other highly processed foods.

10 hours ago, lascuba said:

I couldn't find a source for that post-abortion death story that wasn't anti-choice, so that right there makes the story suspect. From what I can gather from those sources, the woman went to the hospital 4 days after having an abortion complaining of stomach pains. She was given pain meds and told to see her primary care provider the next day--one article indicated that investigators think she told them she had had an abortion days prior.  She was later found dead in her mother's basement; no evidence of foul play. No one seems to know where the abortion was done, how far along she was, and what procedure was performed. Autopsy report is still pending.  

there is an actual news source I found: http://wwmt.com/news/local/woman-found-dead-in-battle-creek-area-days-after-having-an-abortion it was the only one I could find, however. 

didn't make the news here in metro Detroit (at least I don't think it did)

So did she have a back alley abortion? Or why the huge mystery about where,

10 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

the police aren't sure yet :( 

michigan is pretty scarce when it comes to clinics that offer abortion, so it would be plausible, unfortunately

8 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

No, it appears to have been a legal abortion.

I think the "mystery" is because right-to-lifers are digging into what is really a private topic, generally.  I see one site that has the woman's name and has already "discovered" who the physician involved *could* have been - but they are speculating.  (Not linking because I don't believe it is credible or needs clicks.)

I do think if there are issues of malpractice at either the clinic or the hospital, that is due investigation.  But I'm not convinced this is a "newsworthy" topic.

Just now, SpoonfulOSugar said:

No, it appears to have been a legal abortion.

I think the "mystery" is because right-to-lifers are digging into what is really a private topic, generally.  I see one site that has the woman's name and has already "discovered" who the physician involved *could* have been - but they are speculating.  (Not linking because I don't believe it is credible or needs clicks.)

I do think if there are issues of malpractice at either the clinic or the hospital, that is due investigation.  But I'm not convinced this is a "newsworthy" topic.

agreed. like I said before, complications from medical procedures happen every day, which is sad but humans make errors sometimes.

why can't they leave her family alone? they lost a daughter, let them grieve for God's sake.  

Do we know much about Cathy's adopted parents? Perhaps they are the white savior type who saved this baby from abortion and reminded her of it constantly. If you grew up thinking the only reason you are alive today is because abortion was illegal, and your adopted parents supported that idea and constantly preached about it, then I can understand Cathy being anti-abortion. And even if her parent's didn't preach about it constantly, the idea that you are only alive because your mother wasn't legally allowed to end your life but would have if she could- well I too would struggle to support abortion. Might be unpopular opinion but if I try to put myself in her shoes then I can sort of understand where she is coming from and can't imagine the mental turmoil that must have had on her and others like her. 

while Cathy and the others have a right to voice their opinion those opposing them do also. I was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic school and when we got a talk from a pro life group I remember them saying even if those they counselled decided to have an abortion they still offered counselling services to them as they respected the persons choice. I doubt any the group's the Duggar's associate with would do the same. 

I'm saying that Jill isnt pregnant for the simple reason that it isnt a good optic.  The Duggar machine wants a squicky picture of Jill, Jessa, Jinger, AND ANNA pregnant at the same time.  If Jinger has a wedding in November, she likely wont be "picture worthy" until March.  Its too soon for Jill to ruin that chance.

She's coming back because they need all the kidlets together to keep the farce of the show going.  The big kids are boring, so now we can have HOMESKOOL WITH LITTLES! Lets go baby clothes shopping! First doctor visits! First haircuts! ZOMG lets all coo at the littles!   Jill, Jessa. and Anna will be pregnant by September.

We are looking forward to being home with family (and Chick-fil-A ;-) and plan to take some Bible classes and be involved in local ministry while we’re there.

Wow, these people really do act like perpetual highschoolers. 

Most married 20-somethings with a child would be thinking at least one of them should probably get... maybe a job at some point?

If their vacation from their vacation is long enough that they can get involved in those things, it's really the height of privilege for them not to have to work during it.

(Now granted, it's possible the "local ministry" is paid employment, but describing it as "involved in" rather than "working for" doesn't sound like it.)

Obviously they can afford it thanks to the show, but I don't see how they could effectively minister to other people when they're so lacking in basic experiences and apparently uninterested in having them. They're so young and so far from normal life. Can the people they preach to (in either country) really relate to their lifestyle at all? Unlike the Seewalds who unapologetically don't really do anything, the Dillards do seem to be trying on some level, so it baffles me that they don't just... try a little harder to be relatable if they want to work in ministry and be able to reach out to people.

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I daresay there are people out there who will think that the women's lives aren't as important as it was their choice to undergo the procedure whereas the unborn child is blameless. Some sort of pro-life karma or something.

Of course, life isn't as simple as that which is why it's important to have rights over your own body.

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And her statement is incorrect, her birth mother may have chose to still have her anyway, regardless of whether abortion was legal or not.

I still won't get over them talking about how if Derick hadn't stopped to talk to a friend he would have been struck by lightening. 

16 minutes ago, hollywood said:

I still won't get over them talking about how if Derick hadn't stopped to talk to a friend he would have been struck by lightening. 

What??!?! :TRUCDEOUF:

(I know about the no one word post thing, but i can't bring myself to say anything else)

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived