IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

So what would they do if they did some back to stay? Still not work? Convert local heathens? I wonder if Derrick misses having a "real" salaried job.

I'm curious as to where they will live. The TTH? Is the guest house available, or are Josh and Anna and the M'kids there? Do they still have that huge house the lived in at first available? 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I don't know about that...

Yeah, I really doubt it. They NEVER talk about JB's past mistakes, only Michelle's. And while that could be the misogyny talking, I just don't think JB had anything going on before Michelle. The way they talk about how they met, how Michelle doesn't even remember their first meeting, the constant focus on Michelle's past boyfriends, her bikini wearing...I think Michelle was JB's first in everything from hand-holding on, and JB's has been shaming her for it from the start. 

9 hours ago, accountingstar said:

I feel that Derick is going for the Matthew McConaughey look.

<snipped>

He might be aiming for it but he ain't quite getting it. :my_biggrin:

We ate at Chick-fil-a for the first time a while back. I didn't like the chicken strips. The breading was sort of corn-mealy and sweet. The ice cream, however, was a hit with all of us.

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I'm just gonna say it. Snark away at me. That waistband of the skirt is pulled up higher than I'd expect it to be. She's not a short waisted gal. So what's she trying to hide? Huh?

Shhhh that's supposed to be a secret until the new season premiere 

Jill will no doubt be pregnant eventually, and Counting On will cover it. I wonder if Jill's eventual pregnancy will coincide with Jinger's wedding. No doubt Jinger will be pregnant the same time as one of her sisters, or Anna even.

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I'm curious as to where they will live. The TTH? Is the guest house available, or are Josh and Anna and the M'kids there? Do they still have that huge house the lived in at first available? 

I think they'll end up in the Guest House. I believe they have Josh and Anna next door at the Pool House, and as we know, they sold the McMansion that Derick and Jill originally lived in last summer. Unless they have another house they can afford to hand out and lose rent on, Guest House it is. 

I also checked the SOS missioncation schedule, and if they stay until the very last Missioncationers leave, they won't be back until early August. If they check out after the last El Salvador one, they'll be back a week sooner. 

http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/

13 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Really! You missed Chick-fil-a. I can think of some many other restaurants or cuisines that I would miss more than Chick-fil-a. Like sushi or Chinese. 

I would say they could find a chinese restaurant where they are living. They don't live in the jungle, they live in a city

Warning: I'm about to derail because DerJill is really boring right now. Feel free to ignore. Sorry!

@Alicja...Yes! Excellent post as usual. Locs are not culturally significant for white people. I'm just gonna go ahead and say that in most cases, it is culturally appropriative. I don't think a truly conscious white person would wear locs because hopefully they'd realize that.  Cultural appropriation cannot be used positively (there is a difference between appropriation and participation/appreciation!) because it always involves power dynamics.  There are times when it's not appropriative. For example, there's a Rasta that lives down the road with his wife who is white and has locs. That's fine because dreadlocks are a part of her religion. 

As for non-Rastafarians wearing locs, it's quite common in the Caribbean now. What a lot of people don't know is that Rastas faced a lot of discrimination and violence at the beginning of the movement/religion. In the 1960s, if you wore dreadlocks in Jamaica you were a "dutty Rasta" and most likely to be within an inch of your life by police. Rastas actually referred to law enforcement as 'Babylon'. However, Rastas don't have a claim on locs because they took the practice from the anti-colonial resistance in Uganda and Ethiopia called the Nyabinghi (bonus: they were female warriors!). They were a direct threat to colonial rule in East Africa in the 20th century and became symbols of African-resistance and pride (very important in Rastafarianism). Like I said before, black hair is a very political topic and black folks don't have the luxury of their hair style choices being purely personal. Therefore, since dreadlocks are symbol of blackness all black people have a legitimate claim on it. Someone mentioned that Indian Sadhu monks also wear locs. I recently found out that some of the earliest Rastafarian leaders were Indians who immigrated to the Caribbean. Actually some Rastafarian spirituality/principles come from Indian schools of thought. That's also were ganja comes from. 

@The limit does not exist...I'm also upper middle-class but grew up in the Caribbean. I was always perplexed by the little white girls with cornrows and beads at resorts because I wanted their hair. Straight hair was always held up as beautiful. Natural hair was not encouraged once you were a teenager. I wanted so badly to be blonde like Britney spears and my barbies.  So while in your community cornrows were a positive status symbol, in mine it was negative. It sucks that we get shamed for doing something in our culture while people outside the culture get positive feedback. 

Side note: Is this new font hard to read for anybody else? Can we get some bolder font? Or our old font back? 

6 hours ago, lascuba said:

Yeah, I really doubt it. They NEVER talk about JB's past mistakes, only Michelle's. And while that could be the misogyny talking, I just don't think JB had anything going on before Michelle. The way they talk about how they met, how Michelle doesn't even remember their first meeting, the constant focus on Michelle's past boyfriends, her bikini wearing...I think Michelle was JB's first in everything from hand-holding on, and JB's has been shaming her for it from the start. 

JB is the dorky kid who landed the hot-but-secretly-insecure cheerleader, and now he needs to show all the other guys that HE'S the one who gets to bang her, but more importantly, control her. I'm sure that JB feels very threatened by the fact that Michelle could have easily gone with a smarter, more interesting, more successful man (though there's a pretty low threshold for being smarter, more interesting, and more accomplished than Jim Bob), and he externalizes and compensates for this by having tons of kids ("SEE? MY DICK WORKS AND I GET TO FUCK HER ALL THE TIME!") and constantly shaming her for having a sexuality that didn't revolve around him.

10 hours ago, Alicja said:

This is one explanation of how it works in America, I'm not sure where you live so it might be different for you. I hope this helps you understand some of the points you brought up a bit more.

Thanks for the explanation. I have been living in the UK for 9 years, I moved when I was 27. I did not leave my home country once before that. So far, outside the internet, I did not meet any negative reactions when I wore a Chinese style dress or had a few side cornrows (I wanted to look like Lagertha).

I cannot speak for Afro-Americans for sure as I had no life experiences being one. But a few things about my journey as a Turkish Muslim. I dress in quite an ethno-hippie way and I love it (think Azam Ali).  Harem bracelets, harem pants, hamsa and evil eye symbols. I also have a necklace with Arabic letters symbolizing Allah and lots of old Ottoman coin pendants with Arabic fonts on it. Since I do not wear a headscarf (not compulsary) and have olive skin, these make me look 'exotic' apparently... When I tell someone I am fasting, it is "ooh how interesting, tell me about it". I kept my accent and every time, it creates a positive discussion when someone wants to know  'where I am from'. But if a lady wearing a headscarf walked into a train carriage, the reaction she gets may have been different than what I get. This positivity shown towards me is in fact very two faced and I know it. There have been instances of Muslim women getting harassed in the country.

What about job applications where they could not 'see' me but had my whole past work and educational experience in front of them - albeit topped with a foreign sounding name? The only responses I got were from Cobra/Appco group companies disguised cleverly. After I got my English husband's surname and uploaded almost the same CV to a job website? Despite the first name still being foreign, I got many responses from legitimate companies. Luckily I work as a freelancer now!

What do I feel about the appropriation debate when it comes to my culture? I do not like it that in my hometown, there are beach clubs who cater to drunk British tourists through 'harem nights - best bellydancer gets two free cocktails'. The idea of a harem is quite different in Western eyes (they think of a giant brothel). However I have zero problem with wearing some of these Middle Eastern styles brings more recognition and acceptance, IF it is done in the right way - with respect to that culture, by recognizing what these styles may symbolize and wearing them accordingly.

An acquaintance bought a rosary when she went on holiday and wore it as a necklace - the longer ones that are used after prayers.  I told her what it really is and she asked whether she can use it to recite a positive affirmation instead of God's name. I told her some people may have an issue with it but why not do it in privacy? It serves the same purpose, to keep you focused on your spiritual side.

Someone enquired about fasting and how it must be a 'great idea to do it as a monthly weight loss plan'. I said it is not that black and white but after all the end result is to get healthier, gain empathy towards people who do not have access to food or fresh water and be thankful for what you have. If you recognize these aspects, there is nothing wrong in my eyes, to do it.

A black friend wanted me to get her a big evil eye to wear between her breasts. Evil eye is more of a pagan symbol rather than Islamic. So why not? The idea is to ward off negative energies jealousy may create and she had beautiful breasts.

With more and more Middle Eastern refugees arriving, it is my job to contribute to recognition and acceptance (in the right, non offensive way) and do not stop those who try to 'know' you. Because it is an AWESOME culture, one of many awesome cultures in the world.

14 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I would say they could find a chinese restaurant where they are living. They don't live in the jungle, they live in a city

Did we ever find out for sure where they lived?  I don't think they ever said for sure.

Looks like Derick's mom is quitting Twitter. I think it's because she had a tweet about abortion and it didn't go over well.

------

She said - Abortion doesn't just kill babies. Grieved to hear of the young woman in MI who died after having an abortion.

Response from someone - Hey Cathy , you remember those good old days when they used coat hangers for back alley Abortion, Lets make do that!

Cathy then said - I remember the good old days when it was unavailable and I was allowed to be born. And adopted.

-------

Does she really not understand how many women likely died trying to obtain abortions when they weren't legal?  I mean...no matter what someone's opinion is on abortion....she has to see how backwards here comment is, right?

14 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

significant

Side note: Is this new font hard to read for anybody else? Can we get some bolder font? Or our old font back? 

Yes!:Yes: Yes!     .  :agree:

The rest of the changes are fine, but I would strongly prefer a darker (or thicker) font.  

45 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

The rest of the changes are fine, but I would strongly prefer a darker (or thicker) font.  

Yes, this.....

14 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

JB is the dorky kid who landed the hot-but-secretly-insecure cheerleader, and now he needs to show all the other guys that HE'S the one who gets to bang her, but more importantly, control her. I'm sure that JB feels very threatened by the fact that Michelle could have easily gone with a smarter, more interesting, more successful man (though there's a pretty low threshold for being smarter, more interesting, and more accomplished than Jim Bob), and he externalizes and compensates for this by having tons of kids ("SEE? MY DICK WORKS AND I GET TO FUCK HER ALL THE TIME!") and constantly shaming her for having a sexuality that didn't revolve around him.

Which is insane. My boyfriend is similar to Jim Bob (Oh dear God, I never thought I'd say that...) in that he really didn't have a "past" before me. I was his first kiss, his first everything. 

But he's a cool guy, not a Jim Bob, and has never once asked about any of my past sexual/romantic events. 

Oh and if Jill IS pregnant, she better not give birth before Jinger's wedding. Having Derek paint her toenails before the ceremony and the resultant snark afterward was PRICELESS and I'm hoping she'll make it a tradition.

22 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Hey, what do you think the howlers built that tree house for?

Jill posted a new blog post. Mentioning that they have the travelers bug sometimes is a big FU to people talking about how skinny Derick is, I believe. 

16 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

2 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Yes, this.....

Posting comments like these is not productive in some random thread - because it is not guaranteed that anyone who can do anything about it will see them.  As has been said before, if you have a forum question or issue, please post in either Community Discussion (for forum operations) or Tech for technical questions.  I will bring these comments to the tech team's attention, but I would appreciate it if, if this is a concern for you, you start a thread in the Tech forum.  That will be much more helpful.  Thank you.

As @marmalade noted, you can increase your font size using *ctrl* and the plus size.

Also, you might consider changing the theme you are using.  I prefer Uniform and didn't have a clue why this was even a discussion.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

Cathy's a moron. I'm glad she's leaving Twitter. 

Her twitter bio also says she was "miraculously" healed spiritually and physically. So I guess it was a "miracle" and not doctors and medicine that saved her life.

No body ever got that thin from a "traveler's bug." You're sick for a few days, you get over it, & you're better. Why do they insist on lying about such trivial things? He didn't look like that in India.

I lost respect for Cathy when it became clear she was just as fame whorey as her son. Her anti choice BS is just the cherry on top of her ridiculous sundae. She really thinks no one died from abortions when they weren't  "allowed" lol okay.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived