IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

8 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

Just saw on Instagram that Derick's brother, Dan, just proposed to his girlfriend. She's a cute gal who is a Christian and wears shorts. This is a different girlfriend than the one we saw on the show, I don't think they've been together very long. 

We saw a picture of them together shortly after jilder wedding. She's lovely and I'm sure there will be a beautiful wedding. I hope we get lots of pictures.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Alright, so I'm not good at snipping, or not this early in my day, sorry.

This is all sad, losing the hope is a blow. But what I picked out was, on Saturday your second trimester starts. It's Saturday, and this means a milestone for you! Very good, hope you are feeling well. 

:pb_lol:

Thank you so much! Yes, we hit our second trimester today. We're very excited to get this far and I'm hoping I'll start feeling baby move soon - my placenta is attached posterior, which means I may feel Velocibaby sooner than some moms do (less fat to cushion the movement that way.)

Last time our loss happened so early. We really didn't hit any milestones that time - so this pregnancy we're really trying to celebrate and enjoy all the little milestones along the way. It's been great posting on the pregnancy thread here because a lot of the posters understand why certain tiny things are so exciting for us. :pb_biggrin:

10 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

Just saw on Instagram that Derick's brother, Dan, just proposed to his girlfriend. She's a cute gal who is a Christian and wears shorts. This is a different girlfriend than the one we saw on the show, I don't think they've been together very long. 

They make a cute couple and seem normal enough. Here's hoping they have a lifetime of happiness, love, and non-Fundiness ahead of them.

I recall a thread about the intricacies of car seat usage, and learned that puffy coats on babies (and adults) was verboten. And car seats have expiration dates!  We knew no such thing 30 years ago, yet DD survived.

However, some dont have a problem with the Bumbo picture. I don't get it. That seems contradictory to the present climate of minimizing any and all risk of harm, as demonstrated in that car seat thread.

Of course exploring is good and is a primary source of learning for little ones. But parents should make the environment as safe as they can for such exploration, because trust me they will still find unanticipated hazards.

A little one Izzy's age should not be expected to have the cognitive ability to reason that moving the Bumbo closer to the counter will keep him from tipping over. Eventually he will have that ability but not yet.

Its kind of ironic, because I usually lean toward the other side of these kinds of discussions. When I was growing up, we had hot metal playground equipment with cement underneath, no car seats, bike helmets, no seat belts even. Yet, most of us survived. 

But in this case, it's a simple common sense thing to me. If the Bumbo does not have wheels and is stationary, then maybe he was OK, even though balance isn't the best when on your toes. As an old school grandma who thinks the hazards of childhood injuries are now overstated, I would have got him off the Bumbo and not snapped a picture.

There are toys made specifically for climbing, get him one Derjill.

Grow up safely, Izzy. 

I wonder if Dan will try to get his own wedding on Counting On? He's pretty fame whorey. 

@HarleyQuinn, If Dan and Teena don't object, I could totally see an episode centered around their wedding. Jill, Derick, and maybe a few other Duggars would be invited. There may even be lots of hinting about Jinger/Jeremy and weddings in their talking heads. 

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wonder if Dan will try to get his own wedding on Counting On? He's pretty fame whorey. 

Is he?  He seemed like he he really didn't want to be there in the shows that I happened to watch and he really wasn't even featured, was he?  Maybe I missed something.

I doubt Dan or his fiancée are fundy. His family isn't fundy and he wasn't raised fundy. Derrick is just in a weird league of his own. Dan and his fiancée are likely just run of the mill conservative Christians that dance, listen to music with a beat and maybe even drink. Otherwise known as normal, run of the mill people. I am sure the wedding will be much classier than a Duggar wedding, which isn't saying much.

I am sure the entire Duggar family will be invited and there will be a segment on the show. It's a win win for everyone. The young couple gets a little money in their pockets to start off their lives together and TLC gets an episode that might actually be halfway interesting. We can hear about how this couple did not do things the Duggar way and yet ended up getting married anyway. 

When I was a baby I wiggled around too much or did something and managed to flip my highchair backwards while I was in it. I hit my head and it knocked the breath out of me. Scared the crap out of everyone. Then another time I smashed my head on some concrete outside when I lost my footing. My grandparents felt awful, but neither resulted in a traumatic injury. I may not have all my marbles, but I think I am okay

My dad around the same age lost control of his three-wheeler and went straight into a barbed wire fence. Facial stitches were required. Another time he got too close to a furnace and caught his pants on fire. A cousin put him out before burns were sustained, thank goodness.

One time I was baby sitting my infant sister (I was 14-15) and she got into my nail polish and stuck a liberal amount into her mouth. I snapped a picture of it before I realized what was going on. In spite of this she is now an honor student. 

My husband was perversely (no, I don't know why) standing on the back of a lawn mower driven by his sister (they were both under 10) and got thrown and knocked his teeth through his upper lip. His parents were awesome too, though I still don't have the whole story on how that crazy arrangement was sanctioned in the first place.

My grandparents were excellent, attentive parents as well. I say all this because, as most of you know, kids are going to drag things to stand on, pull things over on themselves, stick their fingers in sockets, and all manner of crazy things can happen. 

As for why the bumbo is still around, I imagine it is because they'll probably have more kids and they're not in a forever home where they can do away with and put everything in storage buckets like an attic/basement. It could have been neatly tucked in a corner or a pantry and if Izzy could reach it, well, we don't know where he dragged it from. If the picture is snapped though, mom or dad is right there with him if not both of them. 

[/:leghumper:

All it takes is a split second for a toddler to bust their head open. Being there isn't enought. Remove the hazard. Why not be safe instead of sorry?

Have we discussed Derick's latest assholish Instagram post, "derickdillardWhat a blessing and joy it's been to have the freedom to share the Gospel in public schools. #centralamerica #dillardfamilyadventures"?

I'm about to get on a soapbox but I'll try to rein it in.

He is doing NOTHING good in Central America. The kids in those public schools need academic and vocational training. 

And he can keep his religious crap down there. I teach special ed and he wouldn't want ME to teach religion because I'm an atheist. Religion is just fine to shove down the throats of innocent, impressionable, captive children as long as it's his brand of religion.

Never mind that I've left the public schools to go to a private school because of the demands that are already in place with the curricula and everything else. How in the hell would I fit in religion?

I knew they would come back to start to film in August - when is fall for them -? October 

that is enough filming for them so they can go back to SCA and scam people 

we will be treated to clips for Jill crying coming home and crying over Jinger even better 

What a blessing and joy it's been to have the freedom to share the Gospel in public schools. #centralamerica #dillardfamilyadventures

So Derrick, you'd be totally cool with a Buddhist, a Muslim, a Wiccan, or an atheist having the same freedom, right? Because otherwise you'd be kind of a hypocrite.

I really don't get 1.) why some fundies feel that public school is an appropriate place to teach religion in the first place, 2.) where they came up with the incorrect idea that any and all religious expression is forbidden by public schools, and 3.) how they don't seem able to put together that the doors they want to open for their own religion to proselytize opens those doors for everyone, not just their own preferred worldview. 

I'm a Christian, but I want my hypothetical future children learning academics at public school, not faith. (Academic study of world religions is all good, but not with the intention of inspiring belief.) It's not an appropriate setting for religious education.

Text of the Dullards' announcement, so as not to give them any revenue: 

"We are so excited to share that we will be returning in August for a short stateside term that will extend into the fall.  We are really looking forward to seeing our families after nearly 10 months on foreign soil. We plan on taking some Bible classes as we continue to work in ministry from the US. Serving in Central America has been an amazing experience so far for both of us (and Israel!). We feel like we’ve made great advancements in just learning the culture and the language as well as building relationships with so many precious people. Our time here so far has allowed us to see many hearts touched, many souls accept the redeeming love of Christ, and many sweet people helped through humanitarian efforts. We believe our labors until now will serve as a strong foundation for many years of wonderful ministry in the days to come. Even while we are in the United States we will continue to work on behalf of the ministry and the work in Central America will continue. Stay tuned to our website for more updates. Please do continue to pray for us and for the lives of those we’ve been called to minister to!"

Translation: We've seen every member of our family (some multiple times!), but we really can't cut it down here. There are TWO WEDDINGS we need to attend, one to be filmed for TLC, before we have to return in early December to welcome the next group of missioncationers. What a wonderful season of life that we will treasure forever! We are so blessed to have family who comes to visit us every few weeks that we can still return home to live for free in one of Daddy's rental flip-houses! 

This may be total BEC, but the fact that the posting refers to the people of El Salvador as "precious" and "sweet" really grates on my nerves. It seems really infantilizing and othering, and doesn't give the impression that they're speaking of people they see as their equals. It's like even after all this time, the people they're ministering to still aren't 100% real to them.

7 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Text of the Dullards' announcement, so as not to give them any revenue: 

"We are so excited to share that we will be returning in August for a short stateside term that will extend into the fall.  We are really looking forward to seeing our families after nearly 10 months on foreign soil. We plan on taking some Bible classes as we continue to work in ministry from the US. Serving in Central America has been an amazing experience so far for both of us (and Israel!). We feel like we’ve made great advancements in just learning the culture and the language as well as building relationships with so many precious people. Our time here so far has allowed us to see many hearts touched, many souls accept the redeeming love of Christ, and many sweet people helped through humanitarian efforts. We believe our labors until now will serve as a strong foundation for many years of wonderful ministry in the days to come. Even while we are in the United States we will continue to work on behalf of the ministry and the work in Central America will continue. Stay tuned to our website for more updates. Please do continue to pray for us and for the lives of those we’ve been called to minister to!"

Translation: We've seen every member of our family (some multiple times!), but we really can't cut it down here. There are TWO WEDDINGS we need to attend, one to be filmed for TLC, before we have to return in early December to welcome the next group of missioncationers. What a wonderful season of life that we will treasure forever! We are so blessed to have family who comes to visit us every few weeks that we can still return home to live for free in one of Daddy's rental flip-houses! 

another Translation 

Jill is pregnant and needs her mama and may or may not decide to come back to SCA.  Jinger is getting married soon and I am in the wedding party and need to discuss with her my labour,  and Dan is getting married in October.   We have to be there for both weddings.  I am not in Dan's wedding.  Derick is though and Miss Cathy and her adoptive mother weren't invited. 

And no we won't be working when we come home.   Derick will preach on the street somewhere....or we will just get paid for doing nothing on TV.  Great FUN ! 

As for living in Daddy's homes,  Daddy bought us a new house - which we will renovate 

i think this means their visa ran out and they have to come back for a certain amount of time and it just works out with filming 

@Mercer, if you're a total BEC of finding the Dullards referring to the Guatemalans as "precious" and "sweet" irritating, then I'm a total BEC, too.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@Mercer, if you're a total BEC of finding the Dullards referring to the Guatemalans as "precious" and "sweet" irritating, then I'm a total BEC, too.

what is BEC 

Better Educated Collegue? 

1 minute ago, nst said:

what is BEC 

Better Educated Collegue? 

Bitch Eating Crackers.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

Bitch Eating Crackers.

I forgot :) watching DOOL you tube J & J circa 1989

I love being a BEC 

57 minutes ago, Mercer said:

This may be total BEC, but the fact that the posting refers to the people of El Salvador as "precious" and "sweet" really grates on my nerves. It seems really infantilizing and othering, and doesn't give the impression that they're speaking of people they see as their equals. It's like even after all this time, the people they're ministering to still aren't 100% real to them.

Would'nt it be more Christlike to minister to an asshole? 

On 7/15/2016 at 1:56 AM, lizzybee said:

I think there is a problem with the abortion argument and it is not whether or not a woman should have an abortion which is her choice and her right. No person can put themselves into the shoes of another and say what they should do. I personally wish there was a perfect scenario where no one would want or need to get an abortion. The problem is, as I see it, the necessity to define what life is to the point of exaggeration and then to the point of flippancy. 

I suffered a miscarriage 4 years ago at 5 weeks, and even though someone might say that was the easiest time or that there wasn't even a baby just a clump of cells, or whatever they wanted to say, that was the opposite of comforting to me. I can say that it was straight up the most difficult thing I ever went through (AND THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE, I KNOW, BUT JUST BECAUSE IT'S MINE DOESN'T MAKE IT IRRELEVANT). While I was recovering and sobbing and trying to get through knowing that my husband and I had created a life together and that it had died (the thought that went over and over in my mind as I miscarried) I stumbled upon 19kids and Counting on Netflix, and that experience took me and my husband and plunged us right into fundamentalism and its way of thinking. I'm still trying to pull myself out of it. I became obsessed with the idea that if I got right with God like the Duggars that I would be blessed with children in abundance. 

Fast forward 4 years later, I never did start having babies every which way just because I started wearing skirts and going to church with people who only read the KJV and sing hymns. I've sat through the Gothard seminars during this time, I've taken the internet away from myself, I got rid of beloved books, movies, music, pictures on the walls, anything I could to try to be better, to grow in faith, and have a loving family like I saw portrayed on the television. It was such a sobering and painful thing to slowly realize through meeting real life fundies and learning more about fundamentalism and IBLP, ETC. ETC. ETC. that it was all one sick, sad broken fairy tale. An ideology that sounded a lot better that what existed in reality.  

I tell you all this to point out that miscarriages can be incredibly painful and sad, and sometimes (like in my case) traumatizing. It's painful to read someone say it wasn't alive to support an argument. The child was very much alive in many cases for the mother regardless of what is literal science or fact. The baby lives because she wanted that life. Especially when she cries for it even years later and the memories she will never make with the child she found was growing inside her. That was my experience. If my baby was a clump of cells, I loved that clump of cells so deeply that it literally broke my heart to say goodbye. I knew I was pregnant for about 48 hours before it was all snatched away. It was long enough for me to close my eyes and dream. 

That doesn't downplay a woman's right to choose for her body. Pregnancy changes everything about your body, pregnancy is hard, and that's only the beginning. It's a woman's choice whether she is willing or able to give of herself to grow a life not to mention financially support it. 

When it comes to the beginning of life it can be a really sensitive subject, and you never know what someone has been through and what it feels like for them to hear/read "clump of cells" or "baby has a life and you're killing that life." Either one can be incredibly painful for the woman who has chosen to abort or for the woman who has lost a baby unwillingly. Because it's not advertised on us in a physical way, you don't know who has lost or who has had to make that incredibly difficult decision. 

I'm not back to the person I was before, and maybe I never will be. It might not be possible. Hanging out here has helped. I'm still fighting the ideas in my head that the more pious I am the safer the baby I'm carrying now will be. 

I just want to be a normal person again. I want that for the child I'm carrying now most of all. This conversation just triggered me to share my story because it's how I found you guys and this is a sensitive subject I can speak to. 

Thank you for sharing this. I also feel the loss of my little one at less than two months was the most acutely difficult thing I have experienced. I am saying this many years and many difficult situtions later. How I would have loved to give this little one a safe place to grow in. And having to act as if everything was normal, because nearly no one yet knew, it was really tough. And this was an unplanned pregnancy at a very inconvenient time.

I can well imagine the guilt and pain of a miscarriage could turn someone fundie. I took comfort thinking that if God created this little life, he would have a safe place for it somewhere, somehow. Maybe one day I will know.

3 hours ago, nst said:

another Translation 

Jill is pregnant and needs her mama and may or may not decide to come back to SCA.  Jinger is getting married soon and I am in the wedding party and need to discuss with her my labour,  and Dan is getting married in October.   We have to be there for both weddings.  I am not in Dan's wedding.  Derick is though and Miss Cathy and her adoptive mother weren't invited. 

And no we won't be working when we come home.   Derick will preach on the street somewhere....or we will just get paid for doing nothing on TV.  Great FUN ! 

As for living in Daddy's homes,  Daddy bought us a new house - which we will renovate 

i think this means their visa ran out and they have to come back for a certain amount of time and it just works out with filming 

The visa thing may also be why they came back so often at first. I'll have to look up El Salvador's visa system, but I know that when I lived in China, I had to go to Hong Kong occasionally to "reset" my multiple-entry visa -- you have 180 days, but if you leave before it's up and come back, it resets (180 days after each entry). Perhaps they had one of those multiple-entry visas, or they would stay on a tourist visa/however long you can stay visa-free, wait for it to almost run out, fly to the States, and then go back. Though immigration authorities catch onto that shit pretty quickly.

ETA: El Salvador lets US citizens travel or do business visa-free for 90 days. I feel like I'd be getting into weird obsessive stalker territory if I tried to figure out if their frequent trips home were at roughly 90-day intervals, but I think that more than Jill's homesickness and the siren song of TLC, they were trying to sneak around immigration and avoid the paperwork needed to get work/residency permits. Which means that I will want to smack both of them upside the head if their views on US immigration policy are what I think they are.

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Would'nt it be more Christlike to minister to an asshole? 

And just... real people aren't one way or the other. Sometimes I'm precious and sweet. Sometimes I'm an asshat. Most of the time I'm somewhere in between, because I'm a human being with a complex range of emotions and behavior. 

It's like the people of El Salvador are still a stereotype of grateful childlike heathens to them.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived