IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

Personally, I find this discussion about Derrick's looks somewhat discomforting. We don't know what causes a change in a person's looks, simply by looking at pictures or tv. I would find it distasteful and hurtful, if people looked at my FB and started commenting about my looks.

I'm fine with people arguing with my views, but my looks? That's a low blow. and a cheap shot in my books. I personally would call that concern-trolling and find it disagreeable.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to second what @samurai_sarah said.

Also  IMO armchair diagnosing is BEC in this situation. Also, if Derrick does have health issues and is choosing not to publicly put them out there, can we please respect that. Snark on the shit he does publicly share. If you have real concerns about his health, airing them on FJ isn't the correct place to do it.

And just remember, just because you thought something, doesn't mean you need to post it on the internet for all to see.

I don't know what or if something is wrong with Derrick but I have a picture somewhere of myself when I was rockin that same emaciated and exhausted look and it that was right before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I'm sure he's fine and it's all an angle thing. Again not suggesting there's anything wrong with him. The guy's been scrawny since we first met him but man that hit me hard for a second right there because it brought back memories.

Eh, I still just see funnylookingguy-itis in Derrick. He looks different post surgery, braces, and weightloss, but it's still just him being funny looking. I'm not getting the concern about his health. The only health related thing I notice is the possible nerve damage (smile doesn't go all the up on one side), which is a possible side effect of jaw surgery. It sucks but he's likely fine. 

3 hours ago, lascuba said:

Eh, I still just see funnylookingguy-itis in Derrick. He looks different post surgery, braces, and weightloss, but it's still just him being funny looking. I'm not getting the concern about his health. The only health related thing I notice is the possible nerve damage (smile doesn't go all the up on one side), which is a possible side effect of jaw surgery. It sucks but he's likely fine. 

Again, I agree. He's more than likely fine. He just doesn't have a hair and make up crew follow him around every step of the way anymore and walks around in the humid heat all day...the rest, like I mentioned, is an angle thing for sure.

I won't snark any heath issues he may or may not have, but I can't help but snark on that new picture of them. They both look like serial killers. 

I'm not one to snark on someone's appearance- I especially don't like speculating if one of the girls is pregnant based on a picture. But even this picture of Derick made me say "Whoa". Whether or not he has health issues or it's just a bad angle, you have to wonder why that is the picture they chose to share. I'm pretty healthy looking and young and I guess not bad looking but even I can take a bad picture that I wouldn't share on social media for the whole world to see. 

It is a difficult situation for me, because my face looks sickly as well and I'm not sick at all. (Obviously my whole body is very thing, but on the face to is more obvious.) I'm also very pale, that doesn't help either. I overheard people in the tram talking about my appearance as if I had an eating disorder and it is the worst feeling ever. I was also once misdiagnosed with an eating disorder solely because of my BMI and because I only eat certain things. (Thank god that the other hospital quickly removed the diagnosis and laughed about it.) And add all those mostly older relatives who greet you with "you look so pale" or "eat more". 

Judging by the pictures he did indeed look better before. But those were mostly professional shots and not selfies taken on a phone. His hairstyle and beard may also change his looks (my face looks much worse when I have my hair open). 

On 7/4/2016 at 11:18 PM, anjulibai said:

I wonder if he's depressed and that's what that post was really about - trying to convince himself he just needs to be a better believer. 

If that was the case, it would be very sad indeed. Like when Jinger said she is unworthy, broken, etc. 

18 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I don't know what or if something is wrong with Derrick but I have a picture somewhere of myself when I was rockin that same emaciated and exhausted look and it that was right before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I'm sure he's fine and it's all an angle thing. Again not suggesting there's anything wrong with him. The guy's been scrawny since we first met him but man that hit me hard for a second right there because it brought back memories.

Type 1 here too. I was diagnosed at 33, what about you? 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I won't snark any heath issues he may or may not have, but I can't help but snark on that new picture of them. They both look like serial killers. 

Would you side-hug me? I'd side-hug me. I'd side-hug me so hard.

I wonder if Jill is shocked by how Derek looks now. Just a passing thought. It's odd how they went from that mansion with its pinterest nursery and a 9-5 accounting job to looking like hippies on spring break. 

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jill expression is downright threatening. :pb_lol: It's like aliens pretending to be human, knowing that smiling is the way to look friendly and approachable but doing it all wrong.

59 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I wonder if Jill is shocked by how Derek looks now. Just a passing thought. It's odd how they went from that mansion with its pinterest nursery and a 9-5 accounting job to looking like hippies on spring break. 

That's a good point. It's a fairly dramatic change in a short period of time. I wonder which style suited them more? I'm thinking the current one is more comfortable for them. 

3 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

That's a good point. It's a fairly dramatic change in a short period of time. I wonder which style suited them more? I'm thinking the current one is more comfortable for them. 

Amy was calling Jill a "hippie chick" even before she moved to Darkest Central America; I think that the more hippie lifestyle is more natural for both of them. If they were more secular and Jill was better educated, I could see them doing Peace Corps together as a couple or trying to open a backpacker's hostel/yoga studio/hiking outfit in Pokhara or Rishikesh.

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Like this? :my_smile:

m&m.jpg

6 hours ago, Catholic and NOT 'ebil' said:

Type 1 here too. I was diagnosed at 33, what about you? 

A diabetes buddy high five to you. And we're both ebil Catholics (let's not pretend we're not :P)...which is probably why our pancreaseseseseses said "deuces" and quit workin because that's exactly how it works ;). And I was 9. Pump or MDI? 

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Amy was calling Jill a "hippie chick" even before she moved to Darkest Central America; I think that the more hippie lifestyle is more natural for both of them. If they were more secular and Jill was better educated, I could see them doing Peace Corps together as a couple or trying to open a backpacker's hostel/yoga studio/hiking outfit in Pokhara or Rishikesh.

I could see her being one of those white people with dreadlocks. 

On 7/5/2016 at 4:20 AM, samurai_sarah said:

I personally think the speculation about Derrick's looks is bordering on concern-trolling. We don't know what's going on with him, if there is anything going on with him, and so on.

This, I don't think the difference is that startling honestly. It looks like maybe he lost a few pounds and since he was so thin before he's even thinner now.  Add that to his long greasy unkempt hair and that godawful face merkin.  When we 1st saw him he was clean cut and a few pounds lighter, but I'm thinking the clean cut bit was just an act, he's a neoconservative Jesus Hippie. I'm sure with the heat, walking and more natural unprocessed food diet, he is just naturally thinner.  Jillymuffy could be as well but with her enormous milk boobs and over sized 8 layers of clothes it is harder to tell.

8 hours ago, lascuba said:

I could see her being one of those white people with dreadlocks. 

Considering Derick's ongoing follicular crimes, I could see him going the White Guy Dreads route soon.

Cultural appropriation arguments against White People Dreads aside, honestly, I just don't think white people can pull off dreads from an aesthetic standpoint. I have a few black friends who wear dreads and they look great because their hair texture lends itself well to that style. But without fail, the WPDs I've seen just look matted and sloppy.

13 hours ago, paulypepper said:

Like this? :my_smile:

m&m.jpg

Only crazier and nowhere near as edgy. :pb_lol:

I don't know why anybody would say they look like "serial killers." Aside from the guy looking incredibly ill, I see a young couple smiling for the camera. That doesn't say "killer" to me.

On 7/6/2016 at 5:26 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

Really?   Really?  That's what we saying about a photo these days? 

Just now, Coconut Flan said:

Really?   Really?  That's what we saying about a photo these days? 

Oddly enough that seems pleasant compared to the medical diagnostic suppositions.

I don't know why some think we have a health care crisis in this country when we've can just post crappy pics of ourselves online and learn about our hidden ailments.

Sure, he could totally be suffering from Count Choculitis or hot dog fingers.  Wait....I was super pale and drawn when I was sick...maybe Derek needs a hysterectomy too?

Or they are a couple of people who aren't always photogenic whose medical status is none of our business unless they toss it out there for publicity and cash...errrr...I mean, prayer partners.

Looks like we need a PSA so here...

if they aren't doing anything noteworthy it is okay to think about something else.  There is no requirement that a certain percentage of each day be spent focused on Jill and Derek.

I've even heard rumors that there are other topics to discuss right here on FJ!  Crazy, amiright?

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived