IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 19 and counting

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

I am sorry that but recipe was not great.  All they did was cook couscous which is about as easy as boiling water, and pan fry a couple of chicken breasts and cut them up.  Then she tossed cucumber and tomatoes on top.  The veggies were raw, of course as I don't think anyone ever really cooks cucumber. 

I watched the video without the sound at first and I kept thinking maybe Jessa had mistaken a cucumber for zucchini.  The recipe would have been pretty decent if she had actually used zucchini and the grape tomatoes and sauteed them in the pan with chicken and then added that to the couscous. 

The meal was extremely basic and simple and nothing to "teach" anyone about (I didn't watch the video, but from what is described here) but it sounds like something I'd be happy enough to eat (provided fake chicken or tofu or something was substituted, as I don't eat meat). But personally, I sooo prefer raw vegetables whenever possible. If it had sauteed tomato and zucchini, fine, but I'd enjoy the raw tomato and cucumber way more. I just love the texture of raw veggies. If all those anti-gay-marriage people are right and pretty soon we'll all just be able to marry whatever, I might just marry a tomato. And cheat on it with an orange bell pepper.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I'm fascinated by weird recipes from the 50s and 60s too.  I would never try to recreate those.  Better to read about them than to eat them. ;)

It's fun reading, though.  If you're interested try googling the gallery of regrettable food. ;)

Cracked has several hilarious articles where a guy cooks a bunch of nasty recipes from 50's and 60's magazines. Au gratin, meat and fish jello, mustard... Gross, but I was crying laughing when I finished reading. 

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/7-gross-foods-your-grandparents-ate-that-we-taste-tested/

http://www.cracked.com/article_21958_7-disgusting-foods-from-past-that-we-taste-tested.html

52 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Cracked has several hilarious articles where a guy cooks a bunch of nasty recipes from 50's and 60's magazines. Au gratin, meat and fish jello, mustard... Gross, but I was crying laughing when I finished reading. 

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/7-gross-foods-your-grandparents-ate-that-we-taste-tested/

http://www.cracked.com/article_21958_7-disgusting-foods-from-past-that-we-taste-tested.html

Oh, I could NEVER! Anything with the tuna in it or in a jello mold. Why did everything have to be shaped? Everything had mayo on it too, ugh!

9 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I went to the Titanic museum, I believe it was in Chicago. They also give out passenger cards, and at the end you get to see if you live or die. Well, in my case, my entire family got the cards of the Allison family. They were the famous first class passengers who died because their nanny had taken the baby boy from his room without telling anybody. The family searched for the lost child until it was too late for all of them. I know, I know, I'm a Titanic nerd. Anyways, at the beginning of the museum, I told my entire family that their people all died, even though we all had first class passengers. I also explained why. My brother was so pissed at me. He said I ruined the ending for him because I was a crazed Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic fan. #neverletgo

That sounds awesome.  The movie came out my senior year of HS and I did my huge research paper that year on the Titanic (because of the movie).

I'm fascinated by it.  

12 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I'm kind of a nerd about antique recipes. I've read that president Lincoln liked to bake cookies. :)  I had links to his recipes, recreated by foodie historians on my old phone (that I killed in a tragic diet coke accident). :(

I need to find those recipes again. My favorite brownie recipe is about 100 years old. :)

Out there on the interwebs there are all kinds of historical recipes.  I even came across ones for the first class dinner served on the Titanic the night it sank... again lost to the diet coke incident.

I'm fascinated by weird recipes from the 50s and 60s too.  I would never try to recreate those.  Better to read about them than to eat them. ;)

It's fun reading, though.  If you're interested try googling the gallery of regrettable food. ;)

Have you seen the Supersizers Go? It's a BBC series (it's all on YouTube!) and a comedian and a restaurant critic eat historically-accurate meals for a week at a time, from ancient Rome to the 1980s. I gotta say, the Duggars' meals remind me of the 50s and 60s. Canned convenience food for cheap.

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

Oh, I could NEVER! Anything with the tuna in it or in a jello mold. Why did everything have to be shaped? Everything had mayo on it too, ugh!

Grew up in the 50s and 60s. Never heard or saw any of this. (Thank goodness.)

52 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Grew up in the 50s and 60s. Never heard or saw any of this. (Thank goodness.)

I did. In fact when I recently cleared out my mother's house, I took theTupperware  jello mold home to sell on eBay. 

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

That sounds awesome.  The movie came out my senior year of HS and I did my huge research paper that year on the Titanic (because of the movie).

I'm fascinated by it.  

My dad was so excited when he first got his passenger card, because for once he had a first class person and he thought he was going to live. I took a look at the name and was like, "I'm going to burst that bubble in 3...2...1..."

If I'm ever in Chicago I'm so going to that museum.  

8 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I did. In fact when I recently cleared out my mother's house, I took theTupperware  jello mold home to sell on eBay. 

There are actually a lot of jello mold recipes that don't involve mixing jello with tuna and mayonnaise.  

I am not a fan of jello, but my mom would make a fresh fruit salad jello mold that was pretty good. 

The recipes in those articles are just the most bizarre.  I bet 40 or 60 years from now, someone may write a funny article about some of the more extreme manifestations of today's cooking.  

55 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

If I'm ever in Chicago I'm so going to that museum.

I think it was just a visiting show at the Museum of Science and Industry.  Still a great place to go in Chicago.  All the museums are.

45 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

There are actually a lot of jello mold recipes that don't involve mixing jello with tuna and mayonnaise.  

I am not a fan of jello, but my mom would make a fresh fruit salad jello mold that was pretty good. 

The recipes in those articles are just the most bizarre.  I bet 40 or 60 years from now, someone may write a funny article about some of the more extreme manifestations of today's cooking.  

I think in 40 years, people will talk about how obsessed with sharing every last detail (including pics of our food) we are.  

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

A while back, a Mormon friend tipped me off to Jell-O as being a major part of her food culture.  Especially lime Jell-O.  The LDSLiving website features an ultimate guide to Jello-O recipes to impress the folks at "your next ward party."

One of the all-time gag-worthy molded dishes I ever had is tomato aspic, which uses unflavored gelatin. There is a version that substitutes lemon Jell-O for the unflavored gelatin.  Ugh.

5 minutes ago, Drala said:

A while back, a Mormon friend tipped me off to Jell-O as being a major part of her food culture.  Especially lime Jell-O.  The LDSLiving website features an ultimate guide to Jello-O recipes to impress the folks at "your next ward party."

One of the all-time gag-worthy molded dishes I ever had is tomato aspic, which uses unflavored gelatin. There is a version that substitutes lemon Jell-O for the unflavored gelatin.  Ugh.

Jello can get weird.  The good recipes are really good and then there's the rest.  My mom had a great blueberry jello mold recipe, it was before blueberry jello was around but it used black cherry jello with blueberries.  Really good and I was surprised years ago that my niece asked that it bring to a family gathering again.  My aunt and grandma had one or two jello dishes they regularly made but all of them tended to stick to the "tried and true" recipes and didn't venture out into the really weird ones out there.  

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

Oh lordy no, not all three together! Jello molds with fruit, or sometimes in multi colored layers, or tuna salad with mayo, often molded as well, but in a smaller mold, copper in our house. When moving stuff I managed to break the chip and dish bowl, an exact replica as one gifted to Pete and Trudy on Mad Men.

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I think in 40 years, people will talk about how obsessed with sharing every last detail (including pics of our food) we are.  

I'm older, so I'm already saying it!

Love mayonnaise. Yummy. And also molded things, like salmon mousse. But I am way too lazy to make them. Truth. Fruited jello with cool whip. What a treat. I am such a health food nut. 

6 minutes ago, karen77 said:

molded food scares me a little.

Like highly teased hair, just unnatural. 

19 hours ago, calimojo said:

I am sorry that but recipe was not great.  All they did was cook couscous which is about as easy as boiling water, and pan fry a couple of chicken breasts and cut them up.  Then she tossed cucumber and tomatoes on top.  The veggies were raw, of course as I don't think anyone ever really cooks cucumber. 

I watched the video without the sound at first and I kept thinking maybe Jessa had mistaken a cucumber for zucchini.  The recipe would have been pretty decent if she had actually used zucchini and the grape tomatoes and sauteed them in the pan with chicken and then added that to the couscous. 

And as a food couscous is nothing magical.  It is just a type of pasta, so it has a lot of carbs and nothing that great nutritionally.  I like couscous a lot, but I tend to use it as part of a cold salad with lots of veggies and a dijon/balsamic vinegar dressing. 

If Jessa is trying to show her cooking skills, she failed.  This was a basic basic recipe.  And if she and Ben are trying to inspire healthy eating, well that is great.  And this meal is certainly better than many, but a healthier alternative would have been to use a grain or seed like quinoa, flax, faroe, buckwheat, bulgher, instead of the couscous which is a bleached white pasta

Aw, I'm going to cut her some slack. Girl spent 22 years in a household where there were only 3 food groups: canned, frozen, and grifted. A meal like this is quite unorthodox for a Duggar, and It's not like she pulled a Jill by sharing her favorite Chickenetti recipe.

46 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

Aw, I'm going to cut her some slack. Girl spent 22 years in a household where there were only 3 food groups: canned, frozen, and grifted. A meal like this is quite unorthodox for a Duggar, and It's not like she pulled a Jill by sharing her favorite Chickenetti recipe.

She didn't grow up watching cooking shows on TV, either.  I'm impressed she found a way to serve fresh vegetables.

OTOH, housekeeping, homemaking (which would include cooking) and baby making are among the only cult approved goals and career paths for these girls. WhyTH can't they be beyond proficient at any of the skills associated with being a keeper of the home and family? WTH has she been doing the last 5 years???

When are those skills going to kick in? At around the same time as the stovetop gets degreased?

The only thing that any of these girls seemed to have mastered is procreating- Terrible what JB's cult has reduced these girls to.

21 hours ago, calimojo said:

I am sorry that but recipe was not great.  All they did was cook couscous which is about as easy as boiling water, and pan fry a couple of chicken breasts and cut them up.  Then she tossed cucumber and tomatoes on top.  The veggies were raw, of course as I don't think anyone every cooks cucumber. 

Get ready to have your mind blown,  raw-cucumber-only lovers:

http://www.marthastewart.com/338699/sauteed-cucumbers

28 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

OTOH, housekeeping, homemaking (which would include cooking) and baby making are among the only cult approved goals and career paths for these girls. WhyTH can't they be beyond proficient at any of the skills associated with being a keeper of the home and family? WTH has she been doing the last 5 years???

I'm seeing two sides of this issue, but am not sure if either is accurate. Part of me is appalled at the girls lack of homemaking knowledge, since that is the only job they can prepare for. On the other hand, I think Michelle checked out on everything but babies years ago, so between the girls' sibling parenting responsibilities, home schooling responsibilities, and basic household survival chores (think basic food, picking up when filming, etc), there was no time to teach them how to run a household. Who would teach them? Michelle? I think we've repeatedly discredited this on the board. 

28 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm seeing two sides of this issue, but am not sure if either is accurate. Part of me is appalled at the girls lack of homemaking knowledge, since that is the only job they can prepare for. On the other hand, I think Michelle checked out on everything but babies years ago, so between the girls' sibling parenting responsibilities, home schooling responsibilities, and basic household survival chores (think basic food, picking up when filming, etc), there was no time to teach them how to run a household. Who would teach them? Michelle? I think we've repeatedly discredited this on the board. 

I think the real issue is that these girls were not given a chance to learn to be good housewives or cooks or even parents. They were pushed to be "adequate" at these things before they were ready, and after that were given no higher standards.  At 12 or 14 being able to assemble a tater-tot casserole and mind your siblings and take out the trash etc is pretty good.  At 20 something with a house and child of your own, a little more might be expected.  But along with all the other infantilizing things that JB and M did to their kids, encouraging them to be satisfied with minimal competence is perhaps the worst.

• FundieFarmer locked and unpinned this topic

Archived