IGNORED

Maxwells vote for Ted Cruz

albanuadh_1

I'm not very comfortable giving my opinion on people's appearance-- although I have certainly weighed in on Derick's new look.There have been times when a fundie woman is praised to the skies for being beautiful and my knee-jerk reaction is "Are you kidding me?!" but I try to keep those thoughts to myself because, who cares? Then there are the conversations when sisters are compared to each other ("I think Jana is the prettiest" "I think Joy is the prettiest" etc.) and while I have opinions, it is a nonsensical game with no right answer.

TL,DR: Woman have to put up with a lot of shit in the world and judging them on how they look is best left to Patriarchal assholes.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have curtains in our bathrooms, but the glass is patterned so you can't really see in or out anyway.

18 minutes ago, docmom said:

The Maxwells probably don't undress to shower so it's not a problem.

I can see them being never-nudes.

1.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:57 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

They could have easily SCHEDULED dinner around that. They have nothing else to do. This is a major SCHEDULING FAILURE.

NO. Dinner should not have been scheduled around the baby's nursing schedule, the baby's nursing time should be rescheduled. That infant is CLEARLY insisting on being in control and if her parents don't force her into submission, who knows what will happen! Just ask the Pearls about how willful babies are, and how they purposely try and get their way.

I notice that no one at the married couples dinner seem to have had a soda to drink. Does Steve's Pepsi is an Idol stance extend to everyone in the family?

3 minutes ago, Letgo said:

NO. Dinner should not have been scheduled around the baby's nursing schedule, the baby's nursing time should be rescheduled. That infant is CLEARLY insisting on being in control and if her parents don't force her into submission, who knows what will happen! Just ask the Pearls about how willful babies are, and how they purposely try and get their way.

I notice that no one at the married couples dinner seem to have had a soda to drink. Does Steve's Pepsi is an Idol stance extend to everyone in the family?

Steve's cheap and water is free.

Oh, and I do wonder if the Maxwell mothers practice scheduled feedings.  I nursed my babies on demand but did know one woman with an infant the same age as mine and she practiced scheduled feedings.  She loved it and was completely happy with the freedom it gave her. I could never have done that, but I guess it works for some people.

There could be blinds that are up and you just can't see them. The cloth probably fell at the time they were playing. The Maxwells don't strike me as the kind of people who leave that stuff lying around.

Of all things Maxwell that make my blood boil, these are not on the radar.

Yeah, I'm guessing there are blinds at the top of the window where we can't see, or the windows are made of glass block or something.  This is the modest Maxwells we're talking about after all.

I imagine the towels and wash cloth were messed up by cute little Ellie.

51 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

Steve's cheap and water is free.

Oh, and I do wonder if the Maxwell mothers practice scheduled feedings.  I nursed my babies on demand but did know one woman with an infant the same age as mine and she practiced scheduled feedings.  She loved it and was completely happy with the freedom it gave her. I could never have done that, but I guess it works for some people.

In the earlier editions of MOTH they recommended scheduling babies.  They took it out of later editions. 

Whether they changed their minds or decided it was too controversial, not sure.

5 hours ago, Trynn said:

I made a recipe out of the moody books once. It was a bean and cheese dip. It was pretty gross, but that could just be that I don't like velveeta. I tried the recipe again using real cheese and it went much better.

I miss the old Velveeta, the refrigerated kind.  I know, sad.

I have a theory as to why the Maxwells start referring to the married boys as extended family once they get married because it serves to futher the appearance & illusion that once one of the kids gets married.  They are then free of Steve's influence and are able to be in control of their own lives and conduct. It makes it seem as if any of the kids will eventually be able to make their own choices.

Another related thought: Sarah believes she is choosing to stay at home until she is married because if she was to move out before she was married. She would have to leave and cleave, but she would have no male to cleave to so she would have to figure things out on her own. The better option obviously is to stay under the protection of her father. 

I can't get over their doing Bible time at the end of each gathering. It's Maxhell, so of course, but I would bet my last frumper that they ALREADY DID BIBLE TIME EARLIER IN THE DAY.

Also, Bible time with toddlers? I would like to know how they get them to sit still, or even relatively still, for that. The last time my little one sat on the couch, she stayed seated for about a nanosecond before trying to dive off headfirst. She is still only when she's mesmerized by the Beast or when she's freaked out by her surroundings (she's afraid of grass (!), so if we put her on a blanket outside, she'll stay in place). Maybe the poor Maxkids are afraid of what will happen if they don't sit still...

15 hours ago, sparkles said:

I think she's pretty. Period. It's not praise; it's an opinion. What I think about her looks has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I also think she's marinated in the Kool Aid and will be raising yet another generations of StepfordMaxBorgs. Horrible people can be good looking (which is always a personal opinion) just as some of the greatest people can be downright ugly. One has nothing to do with the other.

I am probably sensitive because the Bateseses thread is turning into a fan site- sorry for the overstatement.

However,  there is a lot of handslappiness going on here - someone says they don't get why Anna is considered pretty. I noted that the Maxwell scheduled failed because a baby was brought to the adults only dinner.

Both comments are greeted with the stereotypical "there are plenty of other things to snark on" comments. Whatever. No one uttered a word at the poster who said Nathan was getting fat, but people get up in arms because some don't understand why some people think Anna is  pretty. @sparkles answer was likely what the op wanted to understand. She actually terrifies me because she is likely the most brainwashed and dangerous of the whole group and  I find that gentle prairie girl mien of hers fake and contrived.

The Maxwells built their lives on the concept of schedules. Yeah, I think it is a fail when they can't manage to schedule an evening out without a baby. That is something to snark on. 

There are deeper conversations to be had out of all the comments and no one was cruel. 

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am probably sensitive because the Bateseses thread is turning into a fan site- sorry for the overstatement.

However,  there is a lot of handslappiness going on here - someone says they don't get why Anna is considered pretty. I noted that the Maxwell scheduled failed because a baby was brought to the adults only dinner.

Both comments are greeted with the stereotypical "there are plenty of other things to snark on" comments. Whatever. No one uttered a word at the poster who said Nathan was getting fat, but people get up in arms because some don't understand why some people think Anna is  pretty. @sparkles answer was likely what the op wanted to understand. She actually terrifies me because she is likely the most brainwashed and dangerous of the whole group and  I find that gentle prairie girl mien of hers fake and contrived.

The Maxwells built their lives on the concept of schedules. Yeah, I think it is a fail when they can't manage to schedule an evening out without a baby. That is something to snark on. 

There are deeper conversations to be had out of all the comments and no one was cruel. 

Maybe Elissa just doesn't want/isn't ready  to leave her baby yet. I don't leave my babies with anyone but my husband for quite some time. I just don't see how that's automatically a scheduling fail. Doesn't seem snark worthy. 

Amd I was bothered by the comment about Nathan, but I'm just catching up on this thread now so no time for me to comment before yours. A few posts back on the blog had some pics of Nathan looking fairly buff. 

26 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Maybe Elissa just doesn't want/isn't ready  to leave her baby yet. I don't leave my babies with anyone but my husband for quite some time. I just don't see how that's automatically a scheduling fail. Doesn't seem snark worthy. 

Amd I was bothered by the comment about Nathan, but I'm just catching up on this thread now so no time for me to comment before yours. A few posts back on the blog had some pics of Nathan looking fairly buff. 

You may be right on that, JP-D, but you have to admit SCHEDULING FAIL + Teri Maxwell = damn funny!

I understood the Nathan comment on getting bigger more as in he has become quite buff - which is what it looks like to me.

I can't hate on bringing the baby either.  I wouldn't have left her behind.  If I was told either you come alone so we can have adult time or don't bother coming, I wouldn't have come.

So to me, perhaps, she is bucking the Maxhell's rules.

What gets me though is the title of this entry.  An all Maxwell event.....oooooh, so this is different from all the other events?  Something super special?  They all see each other all the time.  Bah.

27 minutes ago, jiggleromp said:

I can't hate on bringing the baby either.  I wouldn't have left her behind.  If I was told either you come alone so we can have adult time or don't bother coming, I wouldn't have come.

So to me, perhaps, she is bucking the Maxhell's rules.

What gets me though is the title of this entry.  An all Maxwell event.....oooooh, so this is different from all the other events?  Something super special?  They all see each other all the time.  Bah.

BUT THEY ARE OUT TO DINNER! AND NO ONE IS THROWING ROLLS! AND THE CHILDREN (ie, Sarah & the Remaining Reversals) ARE NOT THERE!

What is it about Maxwell events that makes me type in all caps?

2 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I understood the Nathan comment on getting bigger more as in he has become quite buff - which is what it looks like to me.

Someone was commenting that the Crossfit or whatever was not working.Unless I read that wrong. Which is always possible.

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

I think it's just the Maxwell male body type. John looks alternately buff or kinda chunky in different photos.

This. Even when they are muscular the men's tummies tend to hang over their belts. There's a nutritional school of thought that says belly fat in otherwise fit people comes from eating too many starchy carbs. Or it could just be the Maxwell body type.

I mentioned that I can think of more to snark on than appearances. But I don't think people who posted about Anna's looks were cruel, nor did I say so. I'm not sure what the problem is. In my opinion, no one was being cruel. People are just sharing opinions. :)  @nelliebelle1197

ETA - I, personally, do my best not to snark on anyone's looks. If others choose to (and they often do, in general, not talking about this thread), that's fine. I don't recall saying they're wrong for doing so. I just have personal reasons not to. My issues, and mine alone. 

17 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I mentioned that I can think of more to snark on than appearances. But I don't think people who posted about Anna's looks were cruel, nor did I say so. I'm not sure what the problem is. In my opinion, no one was being cruel. People are just sharing opinions.  @nelliebelle1197

ETA - I, personally, do my best not to snark on anyone's looks. If others choose to (and they often do, in general, not talking about this thread), that's fine. I don't recall saying they're wrong for doing so. I just have personal reasons not to. My issues, and mine alone. 

There's no problem - there was just a lotta  slappy handedness going on. Sometimes it's okay to slap back ;)

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

This. Even when they are muscular the men's tummies tend to hang over their belts. There's a nutritional school of thought that says belly fat in otherwise fit people comes from eating too many starchy carbs. Or it could just be the Maxwell body type.

Considering that Steve thinks beans taste like meat.....

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 2:24 PM, mausi said:

They are probably in bed by sundown. Nightlife is for heathens. 

I this

Sarah called it an all-Maxwell event.  Aren't all events in Maxhell Maxwell only?  Ruthie looks like she is already over it and she's only two.

I remember a few years ago there was a poster here who thought it was wrong for us to remark on how cute Melanie and Nathan's kids were.

Something about it took away from our anti-fundie discussions, or some such nonsense.

I have no problem if we mention that we find a fundie cute or attractive.  And, no problem with anyone saying a particular fundie is not their cup of tea.

I'm not thrilled with snarking on looks and bodies, but, I agree, I don't like hand slapping at all.

Although when it comes to Steve Maxwell, who has written several times about how overweight other people are, and counts the number of overweight people in his doctor's waiting room, all bets are off.  Snark away.

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

I remember a few years ago there was a poster here who thought it was wrong for us to remark on how cute Melanie and Nathan's kids were.

Something about it took away from our anti-fundie discussions, or some such nonsense.

I have no problem if we mention that we find a fundie cute or attractive.  And, no problem with anyone saying a particular fundie is not their cup of tea.

I'm not thrilled with snarking on looks and bodies, but, I agree, I don't like hand slapping at all.

Although when it comes to Steve Maxwell, who has written several times about how overweight other people are, and counts the number of overweight people in his doctor's waiting room, all bets are off.  Snark away.

OMG- who was that??

Archived