IGNORED

Maxwells vote for Ted Cruz

albanuadh_1

On 2016-03-07 at 6:41 PM, PennySycamore said:

@albanuadh_1,  I dom't think you're supposed to take pictures of your ballot, but I could wrong.  (Your vote is supposed to be private.)  I do know that you are not supposed to have anyone else in the voting booth with you unless they are below voting age (they're not going to fuss about a baby)  or unless you require assistance.  Josh and Anna broke that provision several times.

Not sure how it is in the US, or Kansas specifically, but here in Canada, that IS illegal. I've worked many an election poll and will again next month for our provincial election. We used to not be allowed to use our cell phones at all while working, but that since has changed to only using them when there are no voters in line. But taking photos in the voting room is a big no-no. I'm surprised they let the film crew in to show Josh and Anna voting, actually. As for pets, yeah, they stay outside. Good they're exercising their right to vote, but yeah; same topic of, how much choice do they REALLY have?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/7/2016 at 7:01 PM, Sundaymorning said:

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked that they

1. went out to vote at all. I would have imagined that they didn't care for very worldy things such as elections and politics in general.

2.let the women of the family vote :pearlclutching: Didn't Steve Anderson aka PP explain to us that women shouldn't vote as the bible says that they shouldn't have any kind of authority over a man?

He is not the only one. I've heard a lot of exhortations over the years, from more than one teacher/preacher in the patriarchal crowd, with a heavy emphasis on the principle of one vote per household (and guess who gets to cast that vote?). Oh, and I think the same people would like to go back to the principle that only property owners would be allowed to vote. That would leave all renters out, for starters, along with the women married to or descended from the property owners.

33 minutes ago, refugee said:

He is not the only one. I've heard a lot of exhortations over the years, from more than one teacher/preacher in the patriarchal crowd, with a heavy emphasis on the principle of one vote per household (and guess who gets to cast that vote?). Oh, and I think the same people would like to go back to the principle that only property owners would be allowed to vote. That would leave all renters out, for starters, along with the women married to or descended from the property owners.

Doug-Phillips-Is-A-Rapist and his erstwhile leghumper, Jennie Chancey, were big on the women-shouldn't-vote crap back in the day. In their view, only the man as head of the family should vote and his vote would "reflect" hers. Here's a quote from DPIAR (on another website) that was originally posted at VFM in an article entitled "”Biblical Patriarchy and the Doctrine of Federal Representation:"

In regards to a woman’s right to vote; if husband and wife are truly “one flesh” and the husband is doing his duty to represent the family to the wider community, then what PRACTICAL benefit does allowing women to vote provide? If husband and wife agree on an issue, then one has simply doubled the number of votes; but the result is the same. Women’s voting only makes a difference when the husband and wife disagree; a wife, who does not trust the judgment of her husband, can nullify his vote. Thus, the immediate consequence is to enshrine the will of the individual OVER the good of the family thus creating divisions WITHIN the family.

Sometimes (probably more so here, not so much in the US) votes/constituencies can be really close. One or two extra votes could make all the difference. Probably a stupid reason but still. It's like these guys fear that wives and husbands will vote totally differently. Sometimes they do, of course... but I'm pretty damn sure both my parents vote the same.

23 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Sometimes (probably more so here, not so much in the US) votes/constituencies can be really close. One or two extra votes could make all the difference. Probably a stupid reason but still. It's like these guys fear that wives and husbands will vote totally differently. Sometimes they do, of course... but I'm pretty damn sure both my parents vote the same.

Here in the U.S. the 2000 presidential election was so close a few hundred votes different would have made Al Gore president (And it was so mixed up in Florida he might very well have gotten all the votes he needed.  We'll never know for sure)). 

But, you're right, that was a very unusual situation.

On 3/7/2016 at 7:22 PM, albanuadh_1 said:

Are you really permitted to take a photo of your ballot?

I took my photo of my 2012 primary ballot and posted it to FB. (symbolic, everyone was running unopposed).

On 3/7/2016 at 3:06 PM, nausicaa said:

Why doesn't Kansas just move their regular primary from August to March so they can combine the two and save money?

And for how much a democracy hinges on the will of people being expressed through voting, it is shocking how free and easy so many states are with the organization of their elections. (That's not too single Kansas out, but in response to how many states run out of ballots, lose ballots, don't process absentee ballots in time, don't enforce basic rules.)

That is what NJ did.  It was the only thing that Chris Christie and the chair of the NJ Democratic Party agreed on.  Unfortunately, it means that our presidential votes likely won't mater.

The date night/babysitting post 

http://blog.titus2.com/2016/03/08/an-all-maxwell-event/

What the hell does Sarah do while the other SAHDs are watching the kids? 

What a great group! I’m telling you, Aunt Anna and Aunt Mary do an awesome job with the kids.

I'm telling you, I don't know how they cope with being together all the time! :kitty-wink:

2 hours ago, refugee said:

He is not the only one. I've heard a lot of exhortations over the years, from more than one teacher/preacher in the patriarchal crowd, with a heavy emphasis on the principle of one vote per household (and guess who gets to cast that vote?). 

If I remember correctly, I've also read blogs from a couple fundie women saying that they would vastly prefer that women not have the vote (*insert rage blackout here*), but that for the moment they'll vote so they can try and get candidates in who will bring the country/state closer to their fundie utopia.  Which, conveniently for them, means they'll still be able to vote for the foreseeable future.

I am surprised the women don't vote by absentee ballot so that their headships can vote for the appropriate candidate on their behalf.

Slightly off the subject, am I the only one who forgets that Anna Maxwell exists? The sister one?  I feel like we know the least about her. We know Sarah does Sarah things and Mary likes to draw. What about Anna? I swear the only time she is mentioned is its her birthday or she is holding a baby. Is there an interest Steve allows her to have? I feel like they deliberately keep the focus away from her. 

6 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I am surprised the women don't vote by absentee ballot so that their headships can vote for the appropriate candidate on their behalf.

Slightly off the subject, am I the only one who forgets that Anna Maxwell exists? The sister one?  I feel like we know the least about her. We know Sarah does Sarah things and Mary likes to draw. What about Anna? I swear the only time she is mentioned is its her birthday or she is holding a baby. Is there an interest Steve allows her to have? I feel like they deliberately keep the focus away from her. 

Anna cooks.  That's her specialty.  There have been quite a few blog posts and/or photos of her baking or planning/executing a meal.

Oh, my. Nathan is really beginning to, er, fill out, isn't he? Clearly he's not the one going to the CrossFit gym.

7 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Well, we know she owns a Lolly the Clown outfit, and that kids are drawn to her like a magnet. 

It seems like Sarah was featuring NR-Anna on the blog for a time, but not so much anymore.

It really seems like it's the unmarried brothers she rarely ever writes anything too personal about.  A lot of what we know about John was discovered by FJ members doing research.  I feel like we know almost nothing about Jesse.

I'm trying to imagine dinner conversation for the marrieds at whichever steak house chain they are eating at (there is a coaster and a menu, I just am not able to see clearly if it's Logan's Roadhouse, Lone Star, or some other place. They all have such similar theming and menus that I can't tell.). There can't be much to discuss on the menu. They don't know anything about current events. They see each other all the time and probably have nothing interesting to say about the children. It's not like when my relatives get together a few times a year and everyone catches up and plays games and reminisce and shares stories that we were all there for but are still hilarious. They aren't allowed joy! I just picture it being so somber. Ugh. At least they went to one of the places that won't let you linger so they probably only had to fill 45 minutes or so of conversation. 

3 hours ago, refugee said:

He is not the only one. I've heard a lot of exhortations over the years, from more than one teacher/preacher in the patriarchal crowd, with a heavy emphasis on the principle of one vote per household (and guess who gets to cast that vote?). 

From what I've read about the U.S. women's suffrage movement, the biggest argument against it wasn't that women were too stupid and emotional to have the right to vote (although, that was definitely emphasized as well), but rather that women's suffrage would "tear families apart!" because the husband and wife would disagree about politics and it would encourage familial disharmony. The idea was that the two should be of one flesh, and the wife should respect the husband's leadership. 

It's why in many places before 1919 women over 30 were allowed to vote. They were considered spinsters by then and society figured there wouldn't be a husband in the picture to represent them via vote and therefore no family threatened.

I do notice that a lot of the fundies who bang the "Women should be submissive" drum don't talk too much about their wives and daughters voting. Don't want to turn away those extra votes for their candidates. Steve is shrewd. I'm not surprised he takes this approach.

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

That is what NJ did.  It was the only thing that Chris Christie and the chair of the NJ Democratic Party agreed on.  Unfortunately, it means that our presidential votes likely won't mater.

I'm afraid I'm not following. Do you mean the caucus versus primary system changes things?

18 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I'm afraid I'm not following. Do you mean the caucus versus primary system changes things?

I'm a political expert but never was eligible to participate in a caucus.  In this case, the calendar is what matters the most.  Some states separate their presidential primaries/caucuses from their downticket races (senate, congress, state level).  When NJ (who did combine their presidential primaries with the downticket ones) votes on June 7, the presidential primaries will most likely be wrapped up.  

Upside of separating is that it lets your state have a say.  Downside is that it costs money (not sure what caucuses cost but for primaries the state has to pay the poll workers and any polling place/voting machine expense).   NY is insane when it comes to their primaries and has 3 (presidential, congressional/federal races, and state/local level on 3 different days

32 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm trying to imagine dinner conversation for the marrieds at whichever steak house chain they are eating at (there is a coaster and a menu, I just am not able to see clearly if it's Logan's Roadhouse, Lone Star, or some other place. They all have such similar theming and menus that I can't tell.). There can't be much to discuss on the menu. They don't know anything about current events. They see each other all the time and probably have nothing interesting to say about the children. It's not like when my relatives get together a few times a year and everyone catches up and plays games and reminisce and shares stories that we were all there for but are still hilarious. They aren't allowed joy! I just picture it being so somber. Ugh. At least they went to one of the places that won't let you linger so they probably only had to fill 45 minutes or so of conversation. 

What I want to know is who was authorized to lead Bible time in all the "marrieds" absence!  

12 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

What I want to know is who was authorized to lead Bible time in all the "marrieds" absence!  

I wondered that too.  Gotta be either John or Jesse. Can't have the sisters doing it.

Oh man that shot from Elissa and Joseph's place- could it look more like a meeting room in a corporate chain hotel? Also John looks bored as fuck in those pictures from babysitting night.

39 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

Were they gone that long? It's not like going out to eat is an all night thing, especially at one of those in-and-out chain places. 

17 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Oh man that shot from Elissa and Joseph's place- could it look more like a meeting room in a corporate chain hotel? Also John looks bored as fuck in those pictures from babysitting night.

Agreed!  It also bugs me that NR-Anna has her foot up on a light-colored upholstered ottoman with HER SHOES ON!  I wouldn't think that kind of behavior is very Maxwellian.  

6 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Were they gone that long? It's not like going out to eat is an all night thing, especially at one of those in-and-out chain places. 

Probably not, but they found it fit to separate the Bible times between the "marrieds" and the "unmarrieds".  Maybe the "marrieds'" Bible time talked about SEX!  LOLOLOL.

The first time I ever ran into the idea that women should not vote and that ideally that the voting should be reserved for men was in the Prairie Muffin Manifesto.  I googled it to see if it's still up.  It's not, but there are tons of references to it including a thread from about 3 years ago from FreeJinger!  The Prairie Muffin Manifesto was likely the inspiration for those horrid prairie dresses that the Bates girls and Duggar girls used to wear.

Btw, the Goodle Doodle for today is a celebration of International Women's Day.  You should take a look!

31 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

Agreed!  It also bugs me that NR-Anna has her foot up on a light-colored upholstered ottoman with HER SHOES ON!  I wouldn't think that kind of behavior is very Maxwellian.  

Probably not, but they found it fit to separate the Bible times between the "marrieds" and the "unmarrieds".  Maybe the "marrieds'" Bible time talked about SEX!  LOLOLOL.

Wow, they FINALLY did a time where the couples went out together! I guess the daughters were tired of people mentioning it in blog comments and talked about it enough to Daddy-Steve, and there you go. It proved that yes, the ADULT-singles CAN handle ALL the grandkids/nieces and nephews at the same time. It also proved that Steve and Teri can't be left out of such a gathering, but hey, it's SOME progress. Next will Steve and Teri do "cousins-camp" while ALL their offspring are otherwise occupied? We'll  see.......

9/29/01 The Associated Press

TOPEKA, Kan. - A female state senator says if women's suffrage were being voted on today she would not support it, because the 19th Amendment was the start of a decades-long erosion of family values.

"I'm an old-fashioned woman, Senator. Kay O'Connor told The Kansas City Star. "Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women (today) "we wouldn't have to vote."

Delores Ftlrtado, co-president of the Johnson County League of Women Voters, had asked the 59 year-old Republican to the league's "Celebrate the Right to Vote" luncheon, and O'Connor responded: "You probably wouldn't want me there because of what I would have to say."

Furtado said she was shocked by O'Connor's view. As a state senator, Furtado said, "she is the beneficiary of a system she doesn't support."

O'Connor said she does vote. But she said she believes that if men had been protecting the best interests of women, then women would not be forced to cast ballots and serve in the Legislature. Instead, they could stay home, raise families and tend to domestic duties, she said.

The 19th amendment giving all U.S. women the right to vote was ratified in 1920. O'Connor said the amendment began a societal shift that eventually, encouraged women to trade homemaker roles for careers.

She said she entered the workplace only because of her daughter was ill and medical bills were mounting. O'Connor, of Olathe, was elected to the state House of Representatives in 1992 and won a Senate seat last year. She isn't worried if voters don't like her views.

"If I don't get re-elected, my only punishment is to go home to my husband and my roses and my children and my grandchildren," she said. "And if the trips to Topeka get to be too much and my husband asks me to quit, I would."

meanwhile, more modern news about league of women voters in KS.

Kobach calls out 'communist League of Women Voters'

Feb 22, 2016, 7:59am CST Updated Feb 22, 2016, 10:23am CST

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach didn't mince words when discussing two groups… more

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach labeled the ACLU and the League of Women Voters as "communists" for challenging the state's voter ID law, The Tonganoxie Mirror reports.

Kobach, who pushed for the law, which requires voters to show proof of citizenship in order to register, made the comments Saturday at the convention of the Kansas Republican Party. He made sure those in attendance knew where he stood when commenting about challenges to the law by the American Civil Liberties Union and League of Women Voters.

"The ACLU and their fellow communist friends, the League of Women Voters — you can quote me on that, the communist League of Women Voters — the ACLU and the communist League of Women Voters sued," Kobach said.

The secretary of state didn't mince words when talking about the Kansas Supreme Court either. He implored the crowd to vote against four of the five justices who are up for retention in 2016 — sparing Gov. Sam Brownback appointee Caleb Stegall.

If nothing else, Kobach has given me an idea of what judges to vote to retain....

What they really need to do is have a singles night for all the unmarried Maxwells.

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

What they really need to do is have a singles night for all the unmarried Maxwells.

Really?  I'd think everyone would be bored as all fuck squared, all five of 'em.

Archived