IGNORED

Maxwells vote for Ted Cruz

albanuadh_1

@mango_fandango, good catch about Carly being a woman! So no, they wouldn't have voted for her no matter how much they might like her anti-Planned Parenthood, forced birth stance.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@mango_fandango, good catch about Carly being a woman! So no, they wouldn't have voted for her no matter how much they might like her anti-Planned Parenthood, forced birth stance.

This gets me thinking--how often have we heard Steve banging "the males are leaders and women should be passive" drum recently? Not all that much. 

Not a defense of Steve, and I don't think for a minute he's becoming more progressive, but I wonder if he has some sort of business motivation for it. 

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@albanuadh_1, a primary is just like the general election but with only the candidates from one party on the ballot.  There will often be primaries for one party in a state on one day and for the other party on a different day.  You cannot vote in the primaries of both parties.  A caucus is a big discussion about who the party's nominee should be.  After the voters in the precinct discuss the candidates and the issues, then they vote.  Caucuses can be pretty raucus and riproaring.

I think in KS,, our caucus was everyone is handed a paper ballot and can vote for whomever they want and leave, without listening to any of the speechifying, etc--.  I have friends who spent 3 hours in the sun handing out provisional ballots to the people who clearly were never going to get in the door in the 4 hour time frame. 

http://www.bing.com/search?q=kansas+caucus+lines&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02

They stopped having the primary because it cost 2 million dollars (and because our governor is running out state into the ground to the point 2 million is a huge expense!) and to "unify and make the parties stronger"  whatever that means.

Additionally, nearly every precinct ran out of ballots (Really>?>>)

Why Does Kansas Use a Caucus and Not a Primary?

Two reasons:

1.  Cost:  A primary election would cost about $2 million.  Most states that use a primary merely combine it with the state's regular primary- so the presidential candidates are just one more line on the ballot.  Kansas' regular primary is in August, too late for a presidential contest, so it would need an entirely separate election.  A caucus costs the state nothing.  

2.  Party Building:  The political parties use the caucus process to engage volunteers and gain contact information from active voters.  Additionally, these are not like regular elections, the votes do not determine a candidate, the votes are the key input into a formula which determines the number of delegates allocated to a particular candidate.  

. . .

What is a Kansas Presidential Caucus like?

Every county Republican Party is required to hold a caucus or run a joint caucus with a neighboring county.  Most do it in one location – schools, churches, armories, restaurants, hotel lobbies, and theaters have been used as locations.  Johnson County usually does it in multiple locations.  Voters may arrive between 10am and 2pm and cast a secret ballot.   These are partisan political events, so short speeches are given, candidates and elected officials will attend and meet the voters.  

So, the bolded is one reason I didn't bother.... the other is I was too busy that day with appointments at noon and had zero interest in showing up way early to stand in line for the chance to vote for tweedle dum or tweedle dee.

http://www.ksgop.org/#!frequent-questions/c1a8i

Why doesn't Kansas just move their regular primary from August to March so they can combine the two and save money?

And for how much a democracy hinges on the will of people being expressed through voting, it is shocking how free and easy so many states are with the organization of their elections. (That's not too single Kansas out, but in response to how many states run out of ballots, lose ballots, don't process absentee ballots in time, don't enforce basic rules.)

19 hours ago, johnhugh said:

John's making me horney Stevie....

Are you a male or female? I'm asking because certainly you're aware that women don't get horny, right? ;)

6 hours ago, kpmom said:

Abortion, gay marriage, all the fundie hot buttons are all they care about I imagine.

True. But I wonder if those things are even a topic in Stevehova's household. After all, his goal was to shelter his kids so extremely that he was proud that they've never even heard of Halloween.

1 minute ago, Sundaymorning said:

True. But I wonder if those things are even a topic in Stevehova's household. After all, his goal was to shelter his kids so extremely that he was proud that they've never even heard of Halloween.

Steve wrote once that every time he prays he adds in a prayer for abortion to be outlawed.  When Nathan and Melanie's daughter passed away they requested donations to an anti-abortion organization. 

So they are at least well versed in that topic.

43 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Steve wrote once that every time he prays he adds in a prayer for abortion to be outlawed.  When Nathan and Melanie's daughter passed away they requested donations to an anti-abortion organization. 

So they are at least well versed in that topic.

They are probably not well versed on the topic as a whole, just on the anti abortion rhetoric.

4 minutes ago, salex said:

They are probably not well versed on the topic as a whole, just on the anti abortion rhetoric.

The anti abortion rhetoric is crazy! It was almost brain washed into me, growing up, and my parents weren't even fundie. Many Christians seem obsessed with it. My SIL calls gynecology offices, to request a doctor who doesn't perform abortions. 

ETA - I barely knew what it was, but I knew it was WRONG. :pb_rollseyes:

2 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

The anti abortion rhetoric is crazy! It was almost brain washed into me, growing up, and my parents weren't even fundie. Many Christians seem obsessed with it. My SIL calls gynecology offices, to request a doctor who doesn't perform abortions. 

ETA - I barely knew what it was, but I knew it was WRONG. :pb_rollseyes:

I, on the other hand, called around to make sure my new gyno was pro choice...... and sometimes their staff had to check.....

2 minutes ago, salex said:

I, on the other hand, called around to make sure my new gyno was pro choice...... and sometimes their staff had to check.....

Good for you! I've never asked about any of it, to be honest. But I know my doctors well, and trust them. 

Next time I see SIL, I plan to ask what she would to do if she had an ectopic pregnancy. As far as I know, taking care of those/saving your life, is considered abortion by the insurance companies. 

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Why doesn't Kansas just move their regular primary from August to March so they can combine the two and save money?

And for how much a democracy hinges on the will of people being expressed through voting, it is shocking how free and easy so many states are with the organization of their elections. (That's not too single Kansas out, but in response to how many states run out of ballots, lose ballots, don't process absentee ballots in time, don't enforce basic rules.)

Oh stop - you're making sense and the governor goes nowhere near anything that makes sense.

The KS caucus was huge this time - in part because normally by now the candidates are more or less locked in.  This time the vote matters.  I know at least 2 people who reported in from causes.  NE Johnson County in the KC area and they were in long lines.  

(by the way, I see Ted came out on top)

22 minutes ago, salex said:

That is the only type of gyno I would go to!!  

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

This gets me thinking--how often have we heard Steve banging "the males are leaders and women should be passive" drum recently? Not all that much. 

Not a defense of Steve, and I don't think for a minute he's becoming more progressive, but I wonder if he has some sort of business motivation for it. 

I think that every bloody thing the man does is for business purposes.

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

I think that every bloody thing the man does is for business purposes.

I do wonder though why he doesn't see that Sarah still being single, and even Anna at this point, is bad for business. 

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I do wonder though why he doesn't see that Sarah still being single, and even Anna at this point, is bad for business. 

I wonder that also. He will never see it. He dosen't get that he is probably the reason why they aren't married.  He had scared to much about the outside world that they don't even want to try. 

I remember they voted back in 2012. There was a post about NR Anna and one of the boys going to a polling site. I recall a picture of NR Anna walking into a polling booth.

Creepy, dead-eyed woman oppressors vote for a creepy, dead-eyed woman oppressor. Water is wet. Pope is Catholic.

On 3/7/2016 at 8:42 PM, nausicaa said:

(snip) 5. Cruz has a national prayer team. You know the Maxwells are all over that. (snip)

I am part of a National Prayer Team, according to my FB feeds---but we are carelessly and non-denominationally praying for the sake of our poor USA, that we may have leaders with Deity-granted wisdom, because they are surely in need of that!  

(Easiest job I ever had in unifying heathens, Pagans, monotheists, and atheists/agnostics, which is typically like herding cats: impossible under most circumstances.)

I wonder how they feel voting for a man whose wife likely out earned him for the last several years, at least? Yes, she stepped down from her  job at Goldman Sacs (On paid leave, but without benefits, so he's on ACA health insurance now-- not Scamaritan)

1 hour ago, salex said:

I wonder how they feel voting for a man whose wife likely out earned him for the last several years, at least? Yes, she stepped down from her  job at Goldman Sacs (On paid leave, but without benefits, so he's on ACA health insurance now-- not Scamaritan)

Now, now. We know that the Maxwell kids likely believe that Cruz's wife was originally a SAHD, with no education, who has never held a job. Steve can't have the kids thinking that well-educated, well paid working women, can marry their version of a Godly man. Can't have them thinking that men of Cruz's caliber (I am trying not to throw up as I type that) would want someone who on the same level he is on. The fact his wife makes more money is a bonus. 

Archived