IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

I honestly don't know.  My friends don't have kids yet, and I can't remember what my nieces and nephews were fed (they live 3-4 hours away, so I don't see them all the time, and the babyfood period is fairly short, right?).  I hope that when I have kids I use it mostly only when traveling, or in a jam (if there's a weeklong snowstorm and I can't get to the store).  This list of things to think about/consider/prepare for before Mr. Feminist and I start looking into pregnancy/adoption is getting longer and longer.  And I'm 100% sure we will prep wrong and figure it out along the way - but that's how everyone does it, right? 

**I'm starting to get serious baby fever, so every time I see something I hadn't really considered, I fall down a rabbit hole

That is terrifying.  Did you freak out?  I can't imagine how scared I would be.

Just remember....regular, adult food gets recalled fairly often as well.

12 hours ago, RootBeerFloat said:

We've done BLW with all 4. I have to say the pouches that came out between my #2 and #3 are damn convenient. Unsweetened, 100% fruit that can be thrown in the bag and taken along to all of the big siblings' events is brilliant. The reusable pouches are great too for self-feeding homemade applesauce or yogurt or smoothies. 

I never did reusable pouches. But I loved this - http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-208-101-Squeeze-Station/dp/B009IVKY7Q/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1458184155&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+food+maker If my son ever starts like applesauce again....I will probably start making him pouches of homemade applesauce. Or maybe some mixed berry ones. He's not into this texture currently though. 

I also used ice cube trays with lids to freeze small portions of puree when he was little.

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My grandson with the possible apraxia also has issues with certain foods. Apparently the 2 go together. @ClaraOswin

Yep. Apraxia is a motor-planning issue. So basically the brain has trouble telling the mouth what to do when eating/speaking. At this point, I will be surprised if my son isn't diagnosed with it when he is older.

It was so annoying when people in my 'mommy' group would criticize me for not just giving him 'regular' food and non-cut up food. They thought that baby led weaning would work for everyone. FALSE.

I love all the baby-led weaning comments!   We didn't call it Baby-led Weaning when I did it 35 years ago, but that's how I fed my girls.  I loved not having to spoon-feed my babies and letting them feed themselves.  I was actually interviewed for the local paper about starting solids and I told the reporter about starting them off on solids "caveman style."

3 hours ago, twinmama said:

This may be a stupid question, but is the hip spreading thing a vaginal birth thing? Or just pregnancy? And is it something that happens near term, or throughout? Because I had my twins at 29 weeks and other than my section scar, I can't really tell the difference between my pre-baby body and my body now (which is weird to me, it's like no evidence that i even carried them!). Granted, it's been 4 years for me.

I think Jill and Jessa are both beautiful despite the fact that neither dresses in a flattering way IMO and there's never been a Duggar with a good bra as we all know. I hope they are spending their first year as mothers enjoying their babies, not crash dieting to get back to something they may never achieve.

Dude, in what universe is saying that someone beats their child when you have no evidence of that not rude??? That is a nasty rumor. And if you have honest concerns, social media is NOT the place for them.

I did ok with my oldest, but ended up with hip dysplasia when pregnant with my second.  I did a lot of physical therapy while pregnant with my middle and youngest but ended up on pain management with both. To this day I still have problems with it. Its a pregnancy thing, just more noticeable for some.

9 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Thanks. Based on my first baby, and the u/s from this pregnancy, i grow big babies. With big heads. my first was in the 99th percentile for head size, and more like 75 for weight/height.  I'm hoping that baby doubt number 2 will have a slightly smaller head, but i'm not holding my breath.

I always find future plans of not yet parents to be interesting to follow :)  Planning, researching, organizing and preparing are great. But  it's sort of like reading books about climbing everest, and then actually doing it. Many plans will be turned on their heads.

Ah yes, I remember being pregnant with my little princess and swearing we would never have her sleep in our bed. She's 7 months now and has only been consistently sleeping in her bassinet (still in our room) for the last month or so. She would NOT sleep unless she was close enough to smell me. Which meant I didn't sleep. Which meant, screw the plan.

In the end, I just imagine a future when I'll look back and miss when she was small enough to fit perfectly in the crook of my arm and sleep peacefully in that position all night. I already miss it a little bit lol.

1 minute ago, VineHeart137 said:

Ah yes, I remember being pregnant with my little princess and swearing we would never have her sleep in our bed. She's 7 months now and has only been consistently sleeping in her bassinet (still in our room) for the last month or so. She would NOT sleep unless she was close enough to smell me. Which meant I didn't sleep. Which meant, screw the plan.

In the end, I just imagine a future when I'll look back and miss when she was small enough to fit perfectly in the crook of my arm and sleep peacefully in that position all night. I already miss it a little bit lol.

Mine wasn't going to sleep in my bed past a few months old.

She'll be 4 in may, and tonight is maybe the third time she's gone to sleep in her own room. It's never lasted the night.

Yep, nothing like a baby to screw up your plans. A baby is a humbling experience.

I HATE sharing my bed, with kids, pets and even my spouse.

I would be perfectly happy with two twin sized beds, "I Love Lucy" style!

I wish I was into it for sappy mom reasons, but nope! The co-sleeping stuff always seemed so cozy to me, but I can't. 

In fact, I don't think my kids have ever slept in the bed with Mr. Boom and I.

BLW, now I can get behind that! We love BLW in the boom house! The littlest boom is an eating machine and he is still sort of doing the BLW thing! ( just over 18 months now, so maybe TLW?)

It is really neat to read about the different experiences we have all had parenting, FJ is the coolest!:character-afropik:

16 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Something I noticed about Spurgeon. He was born w/a perfectly round head. First baby, really big too, and no molding whatsoever. I smell a rat. Could the whole home birth thing have been staged & she really had a section?  How would it look if both she & Jill had to have sections? In all the years I worked in OB, I never saw a fist time mother deliver a baby w/a perfectly round head.

Hmmmm.......

My first (and only) child's head was perfect, of course, he was a vaginal breach delivery after 12 hours of pictocin (they thought he was head down until I started to push - idiots.) His little bottom, however, was black and blue. Must say the morphine they gave me afterwards was really amazing stuff.

On March 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM, 2manyKidzzz said:

It does not seem that any domestic skills are a part of their fundie culture. Just being an available, submissive wife is the deal. Yuck.

I wonder if this is true of all the ATI fundies or if the Duggars are just a bad example.  All the fundies I have known are big on homemaking skills.  The women sew, cook, clean, make a big deal about crafts -- we snark at Sierra and her party planning and chocolate strawberries, but she is more like the Evangelicals and Pentecostals and Baptist ladies I have met.  They may think they are more artistic than they are, and they may in some cases confuse a cake mix with home made, but they at least stay busy "homemaking."   

3 hours ago, bingbangboom said:

I wish I was into it for sappy mom reasons, but nope! The co-sleeping stuff always seemed so cozy to me, but I can't. 

BLW, now I can get behind that! We love BLW in the boom house! The littlest boom is an eating machine and he is still sort of doing the BLW thing! ( just over 18 months now, so maybe TLW?)

It is really neat to read about the different experiences we have all had parenting, FJ is the coolest!:character-afropik:

I would never co-sleep if I had kids. I'd be too afraid of squishing the baby, plus there's the whole thing of babies shitting and barfing all over everything. No excrement in my bed unless I suddenly develop some very weird fetishes.

On March 16, 2016 at 3:02 AM, Mercer said:

Unless Ben is planning on never getting a job, he really needs to start thinking about establishing a serious work history. Being propped up by his father-in-law for all of his young adulthood isn't going to play very well to prospective employers. The longer this drags on, the harder it's going to be for him to convincingly claim he's employable. It's nice for parents-in-law to help a young couple get on their feet, but... this is definitely past the point of help and into territory where it's going to hold him back from opportunities because it makes him look like he's either too lazy or too incompetent to establish himself in his own job. He really needs to start working on a resume that includes things other than accepting what basically amounts to charity from Jim Bob.

I think he sees himself as being in training for the ministry, and the job he is preparing himself for is preaching.  Allegedly he is taking classes online and if he also does some internships/volunteer preaching, that may be the only preparation he needs (according to his vision of himself). The TV show encourages the idea that he doesn't have to pursue other kinds of work.  After all, there he is, being paid for just existing in front of the cameras.

5 hours ago, bingbangboom said:

Same here!  I've never slept with my kids in the bed, I tried but it was so uncomfy they were quickly evicted! 

Pretty sure my girls were both born with round heads too.  Ill have to dig out some photos and compare to Spurge!

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I would never co-sleep if I had kids. I'd be too afraid of squishing the baby, plus there's the whole thing of babies shitting and barfing all over everything. No excrement in my bed unless I suddenly develop some very weird fetishes.

I would hate to cosleep with a baby because I'd have nightmares about fighting the future 6 year old to get him/her out of my bed. Plus, it's all cute and sweet until they're big enough to start headbutting you in their sleep.

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

We used an on the bed cosleeper thing that protected baby from squishing.  I found it a lot more convenient then getting out of bed, walking down the hall, finally getting to the now wailing infant, breastfeeding and rocking back to sleep, then going back to bed and trying to fall back to sleep. Every 1-3 hours, every night.  Instead, when she started to fuss, i could stick a boob in her mouth, and neither of us ever woke up fully, or needed to turn on lights.  

In 4 years she's yet to get excrement in my bed.  Can't say the same thing about my dogs. Who seem to prefer puking in my bed over anywhere else in the house.  Thanks for that dogs.

I co-slept for a little over a year with my son. I loved it because I was breastfeeding during that whole time so when he wanted to eat I literally only had to lift up my shirt. I wasn't worried about rolling over on him because I feel like i had that instinct not to and I was a very light sleeper. Also I never slept in the same bed with him after I had had a few beers or anything. 

If I ever have another child, I probably won't co-sleep because I will (hopefully) have a partner and not be a single mother. I trust myself to not roll over on the baby, but my partner wouldn't trust himself. I might use a co-sleeping device though. It's just SO easy when your breastfeeding.

@eandre31, authorities on safe co-sleeping (Dr James McKenna et al) recommend that you have your baby  between you and the side of the bed and not in the middle between you and your partner.  Mothers tend not to roll over on their babies, but partners may.  Frequently, moms have the baby will have the baby underneath their armpit as mom is lying on her side.  It makes it super easy to latch the baby on.  If you try this position yourself (no baby required!) you can see that you are unlikely to roll over on your own arm.  People that shouldn't co-sleep: people under the influence of intoxicants and smokers.  If you do co-sleep, you shouldn't have animals on the bed either.  My daughter does co-sleep with her baby and I'm pretty sure that there's a Husky on the bed as well.  She does have a co-sleeper though and that may mitigate the dog a bit.

10 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My son would spit up in his bassinet (and later crib) all...the....time. We had to change the sheets in the middle of the night a lot. I certainly can't imagine having to change a large bed that often. I'm not into bed sharing anyway. I like my space. And I just don't think it's safe at all unless you use one of those insert things or use some sort of 'side car' type crib. So yeah...nothing something I ever cared to do. I did read that keeping a child in your room could decrease the chance of SIDS. So we kept a bassinet next to our bed for a couple months. Then we put a mini-crib in our room until he was around a year old. Since then, he's been in a full sized crib in his room.

19 hours ago, CharityBear said:

I'm 4'10" and both of my girls were born with perfectly round heads. Less than 10 minutes pushing on each delivery, so that could have something to do with it. Before both pregnancies I was less than 100 pounds, so I was tiny.

I'm 4'11",  and same... but I had two scheduled C-sections.  The first because the baby was transverse and stuck, the second because I was alike screw you, VBAC.

7 hours ago, lascuba said:

I would hate to cosleep with a baby because I'd have nightmares about fighting the future 6 year old to get him/her out of my bed. Plus, it's all cute and sweet until they're big enough to start headbutting you in their sleep.

My kids still crawl in bed with me, and I love it.  They are 8 and 6.  We didn't co-sleep with the second because he slept in his own bed from day one and never woke for middle of the night feedings, but I did cosleep with the first, both with an on the bed cosleeper and with her basinette right next to me.  It was much more convenient for her feeding/waking schedule.

Just popping in to briefly note that that many nicknames for the baby really shows how much everyone hates the name Spurgeon... "It brings its challenges" is the best thing Jinger can say about it. Yikes.

I noticed the others called him "Spurge" a lot.

I would never invite a kid in our bed. There you've got a habit that is very hard to break.

13 hours ago, lascuba said:

I could never cosleep. I am a very heavy sleeper. I also do weird things when I sleep. For example, I had to wear this splint on my foot when I slept. First night, I put it on at bedtime & went to sleep.  Woke up in the morning & it was off. I found it in the bed covers. Don't remember taking it off & it had 3 Velcro closures that you had to undo. You had to put some effort into removing it.  

Next night same thing, put it on at bedtime & go to sleep. Woke up the next morning it was off again. Found it on the floor by the bed. Third night, put it on and went to sleep. Woke up & couldn't find it.  Finally discovered it after 5 minutes of searching and tearing all the covers off the bed- I actually took it off and put it under the bed! Heaven knows what I'd do with a baby. 

My four year old goddaughter is affectionately known as the tiny tornado. I learned you cannot sleep in the same bed as her.  She will hit, kick, head butt and push you out of the bed. However, if you put her on an air mattress and you sleep on the couch- the kid never moves the whole night! 

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@eandre31, authorities on safe co-sleeping (Dr James McKenna et al) recommend that you have your baby  between you and the side of the bed and not in the middle between you and your partner.  Mothers tend not to roll over on their babies, but partners may.  Frequently, moms have the baby will have the baby underneath their armpit as mom is lying on her side.  It makes it super easy to latch the baby on.  If you try this position yourself (no baby required!) you can see that you are unlikely to roll over on your own arm.  People that shouldn't co-sleep: people under the influence of intoxicants and smokers.  If you do co-sleep, you shouldn't have animals on the bed either.  My daughter does co-sleep with her baby and I'm pretty sure that there's a Husky on the bed as well.  She does have a co-sleeper though and that may mitigate the dog a bit.

I think you may have missed in my post that i did co-sleep with my son for over a year as a single mother. I am just unsure if I would like to do it again with a partner. Lots of good information though. Thanks!

22 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My daughter never pooped in our bed when we co-slept. Or barfed, for that matter. Did I just get lucky? Even when she was very small she rarely pooped at night. I can't remember the last time I had to change a poopy nighttime diaper.

On 3/16/2016 at 11:14 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I've always said if you can read, you can cook. Maybe SOTDRT hasn't taught reading well enough to follow a recipe.

Or maybe it is just that she thinks she's cute, not being able to cook. "Silly little old me, good thing I'm pretty!" 

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived