IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Or maybe it is just that she thinks she's cute, not being able to cook. "Silly little old me, good thing I'm pretty!" 

Maybe fundie fellows consider it sexy. A slightly helpless pretty little woman in the kitchen nervously eyeing all those dangerous appliances. They can sweep in to save her and take her away to a fastfood place and earn praise for being such a considerate hubby. 

A capable, in- control- type woman in the kitchen may be a threat to their sensitive ego's. For once a woman can cook, what else will she come up with? And she may demand he eats his veggies.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an episode while they were courting where she went to his house and his older sisters taught her to make his favorite meal (can't remember what it is) and pie.  Wonder if she ever made that for him after they got married.  

4 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Or maybe it is just that she thinks she's cute, not being able to cook. "Silly little old me, good thing I'm pretty!" 

I think mostly it was just an angle TLC came up with to try to make the J'ladies seem like midstream young adults newly on their own.  The Duggars - they're just like other young adults who are learning to cook for the first time!! It is, of course, a ridiculous premise of you know that these women have been cooking for their gigantic family since they were tweens. But there's no reality in reality TV.  Maybe Jessa is a shitty cook and they eat at the TTH where Jana or Jinger (not Michelle!) cooks most of the time and maybe Hannie and Joy are learning, but "tee-hee, we don't know our way around the kitchen and are cooking for mom and dad!" is supposed to a cute schtick for the camera.

I never believed for a second that Jessa seriously can't cook. She might not like to do it. She might not have much experience since she had other jurisdictions growing up. But the girl knows how to cook. Good for her for not doing it much if she doesn't like it, but she needs to stop with the pretense...it's such a glaring attempt to appear like an average person who doesn't believe in strict gender roles, and it's bullshit.

@eandre31, I didn't miss that you'd co-slept with your first.  I was just pointing out that when you do have a partner there is a way to co-sleep safely.  Kathy Kendall-Tackett, PhD also does a lot of work in safe co-sleeping.  It can be done, as you know and have experienced.

I kinda think Michelle & possibly Jill & Janna helped get 19 breakfasts & lunches on the table but I highly suspect someone un-seen appears at suppertime & makes the big meal. And it would have to be started hours earlier. two full sized sheet pans of chicken. A big casserole of mac/cheese, a large stock pot to boil pasta or maybe broccoli.

* I don't suppose they steam their veggies.* As someone who cooks a lot, it makes me crazy when I see that cafeteria-style steam table filled w/everything, soup to nuts; how does it get there?

3 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

There was an episode while they were courting where she went to his house and his older sisters taught her to make his favorite meal (can't remember what it is) and pie.  Wonder if she ever made that for him after they got married.  

Chicken Alfredo

16 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Chicken Alfredo

Maybe she isn't a good cook because chicken alfredo is super easy.

On 3/17/2016 at 1:18 PM, PennySycamore said:

Mothers tend not to roll over on their babies, but partners may. 

I bet this is because from the second my kids were born, I had NIGHTMARES every night that one was in my bed and I fell asleep on him. And they were like 20 miles away in the NICU! I'd seriously wake up all sweaty and check under the covers.

Here's a recipe from Martha Stewart and Lucinda Scala Quinn for Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo.

Chicken Fettucine Alfredo

The video doesn't have the final few steps in it, but you should be able to figure that out if you read the recipe.

Martha's website has an simpler recipe for Fettucine Alfredo without the chicken.  It's just cooked fettucine, butter, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  There should be a link on the Chicken fettuccine alfredo page.

4 hours ago, nst said:

I can't make it :D 

You suck!

Lol just kidding!! But it is easy, you should try.

2 minutes ago, Chicken bones said:

Man, it's midnight and all I want now is some chicken alfredo... :(

Woo hoo central time zone friends :pb_lol:

I won't believe for a second that the Duggar girls can actually cook. Of course they play the angle up for TLC (like Jessa turning on her new oven with the instruction manual still in it and that kind of crap). And yeah, they probably can throw together a couple of meals from cans and boxes.

But do I believe they can actually cook anything from scratch? Not in a million years. Hell, Jilll thinks chickenetti is a recipe worth publishing for her fans, and a dish to serve to guests. There's a reason we've been making fun of their TTC for years here on FJ. All of their "recipes" are like this (and those are supposedly the "fancy" ones, since they are considered worthy of publication).

Oh jeez, cosleeping. :-( I have a friend who lost her infant to cosleeping after successfully cosleeping with her first. By Ohio law, if the baby died while in bed or otherwise in a setting with pillows, etc., they have to call it suffocation and not sids, even if there is no sign of actual suffocation. To see those words on the death certificate was so hard for her. After seeing the pain in her heart, I could never cosleep. Cosleeping advocates who act like it's fine because some baby they know survived drive me batty. Yeah, and I shot heroin for years and I didn't die, nor did most of the people I used with, and we got a lot of positive outcomes from it. It doesn't mean I go around telling people that shooting heroin is thus clearly safe and worth the risk. That would be insane. But for whatever reason, people follow that exact logic for cosleeping.

5 hours ago, JillyO said:

I won't believe for a second that the Duggar girls can actually cook. Of course they play the angle up for TLC (like Jessa turning on her new oven with the instruction manual still in it and that kind of crap). And yeah, they probably can throw together a couple of meals from cans and boxes.

But do I believe they can actually cook anything from scratch? Not in a million years. Hell, Jilll thinks chickenetti is a recipe worth publishing for her fans, and a dish to serve to guests. There's a reason we've been making fun of their TTC for years here on FJ. All of their "recipes" are like this (and those are supposedly the "fancy" ones, since they are considered worthy of publication).

Oh sure, I agree they probably cannot make a meal that's not 90% combining processed ingredients, but I do think they can put dinner on the table daily. 

As as an aside, if the only meals I knew how to make were tater tot casserole and chickenetti, I'd hate to cook, too!

13 hours ago, nst said:

I can't make it :D 

The Duggar's recipe is on the Campbell's cream of (fill in the blank) soup.

On 3/17/2016 at 6:50 PM, Bad Wolf said:

Yep, nothing like a baby to screw up your plans. A baby is a humbling experience.

It is indeed.  The most important thing I learned was to be flexible.  And ask, "is it really necessary to do things a certain way?"

When I was about 14 or 15, had to take a semester of home ec.  At one point, we had to each bring in a dish.  I made coq o vin.  Use a recipe in my mothers Julia Childs cookbook. (it was approved even though it contained wine) Made it entirely from scratch, including stock, with no help from my mom(other than the fact she had taught me cooking basics).  It was a hit.  Everyone scarfed it up. 

I have continued to learn cooking techniques.  Me, the evil college educated works outside the home woman.  Taught my own children to cook. Each was responsible for planning and preparing a meal for the family once a week.  They are all accomplished cooks.  My daughter makes a mean beef bourguignon.  My sons both are accomplished cooks, this includes salads and fresh veggies.  Cooking is a survival skill. If you want to eat, learn to cook.  if you cook well, you eat well.  Even on a budget. 

For young ladies that were raised to be homemakers, to hear them brag about not being able to cook is, well hilarious.  It just shows how hypocritical they are, how unsustainable the lifestyle they preach is.  The lifes style they push on their show is a lie.

Ben is such a health nut, I have a hard time believing he loves chicken alfredo and wants Jessa to cook it for him. Remember when they first got married and said they eat yogurt and granola for two meals a day. Jessa totally absorbed Ben's meathead lifestyle. Why do you need to cook when you are just eating yogurt, granola, and unseasoned grilled fish or chicken.

On March 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM, ksgranola1 said:

I noticed the others called him "Spurge" a lot.

I would never invite a kid in our bed. There you've got a habit that is very hard to break.

Not really. Our daughter slept with DH and I from the time she was about 1 1/2 to almost 3. We had to transition her out of the crib because she was climbing out of her crib, but then she was having night terrors. She didn't have them when she slept with us. At about 3, she decided she wanted to sleep in her own bed. She's 4 now and still does, although sometimes wakes up around 6 and climbs in to bed with us on the weekends. 

34 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Ben is such a health nut, I have a hard time believing he loves chicken alfredo and wants Jessa to cook it for him. Remember when they first got married and said they eat yogurt and granola for two meals a day. Jessa totally absorbed Ben's meathead lifestyle. Why do you need to cook when you are just eating yogurt, granola, and unseasoned grilled fish or chicken.

I disagree. Both Ben and Jessa seem to love fast and crappy restaurant food. IMO, most of their meals are probably drive through purchased. In the future, I'm betting a Josh physique for Ben.

34 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I disagree. Both Ben and Jessa seem to love fast and crappy restaurant food. IMO, most of their meals are probably drive through purchased. In the future, I'm betting a Josh physique for Ben.

That is a bet I'll take. I don't see that happening at all. I think he will get more and more gym ratty as time goes on.

33 minutes ago, artdecades said:

That is a bet I'll take. I don't see that happening at all. I think he will get more and more gym ratty as time goes on.

But once there's six little Spurgettes in tow, will he have the time?

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived